Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soda Bread with Natural Yoghurt?

Options
  • 07-06-2021 10:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.....not a great baker but it seems that I can substitute Buttermilk with Natural Yoghurt in the above.

As I've been making natural yoghurt for the past year or more, weekly, can someone steer me?

Half yoghurt half milk? I want to use a wholewheat flour. I've made a couple of loaves in a pound tin using Odlums pre mixed mix. I'd prefer to go it solo if you get my drift. Have a couple of pound tins......or are they 2 pound tins? :pac::pac:

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I use Clodagh McKennas recipe for soda bread. It has rosemary in it I just leave that out. It uses 250mls of natural yoghurt and 350mls of milk. Always turns out well. I have played around with the quantities of plain and wholemeal flour.
    https://www.clodaghmckenna.com/blog/rosemaryclodaghbread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes you can use it fine, I'd usually use half yogurt/half milk but anywhere around that is fine.

Two pound loaf tins I would consider to be the more common, one pound ones are quite small. 2lb tin should hold around a litre of water if you want to try that and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The recipes are going to be presuming you are using a commercial yogurt. I ferment my yogurt for 24hours or more so it is far more acidic than off the shelf stuff. So I imagine you would add less if you make very acidic stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

No....I ferment my own yoghurt, as stated in first post. OK, gotcha re. using less.

EdVdXnOl.jpg
    (That's yoghurt/milk brushed on top as recommended)

Had to put them back in the oven for a further 5 mins as base wasn't completely done. Mix as followed, too "wet" but will adjust for next bake.

S4IBkUql.jpg

Turned out fine though.
    Thanks all.

"Pestle.....no more" .....revived for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious about using loaf tins for soda breads. Obviously if using a mix I can understand as you may not be kneading the dough but Soda Bread really does cook better and more evenly when put on floured Trays but obviously the dough has to be kneaded, the golden rule being don't over knead or handle the dough. I actually use a non stick cake tin with base removed to help maintain shape, also helps in insuring bread doesn't over cook on outside.for the final few minutes, I remove the ring. Remove and allow sit on rack. I like the crust so don't bother with damp cloth etc.

I've not used Natural Yougurt but will give it a try

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Yes.....I should try and bake it without tins next time.
    Will do.

Trial and error.

Planet X wrote: »
    Yes.....I should try and bake it without tins next time.
    Will do.

Trial and error.

I used to be a chef but I'm OK now :) albeit I don't think the chef ever leaves people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

When I bake mine (in the cake shape, with the cross cut in it), I always turn it over in the last few mins, which i find helps it bake fully through.

If you wrap in a wet tea towel while it cools, it will have a crustier crust.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    When I bake mine (in the cake shape, with the cross cut in it), I always turn it over in the last few mins, which i find helps it bake fully through.

Yes agreed re turning over but personally I don't bother with the towel and crust fine but I hear you :)

Attached my Soda Bread and must be eaten with REAL irish butter, anything else a sacrilege :)

That bread was soooo good! Damn!

Butter and marmalade.
    Now to fine tune it......bake it in a round without tin, and gauge the liquid content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I do them both ways depending on the type of mix, for the wetter type then a loaf tin is obviously better or for traditional mix the round way just on a baking tray. I'd hardly even call what's needed kneading as that would ruin the dough, gather it together in a ball and either turn it upside down which is often the better side or just try get a nice rounded shape gently.

Never all the liquid at once as you never know how much it's actually going to need, can even vary on the weather!

Even if I use a loaf tin I take the bread out of it for the last 10 mins and put back into oven upside down. I don't brush the tops with anything but I love sesame seeds and I butter the loaf tin and shake them around the insides giving a nice coating, that way they don't fall off when you cut it like they do if on top, you get more of them per slice and they toast nicely in the butter :)

Planet X wrote: »
    That bread was soooo good! Damn!

Butter and marmalade.
    Now to fine tune it......bake it in a round without tin, and gauge the liquid content.

Delighted you like it, you cant beat butter an marmalade on it.

The first time I made it it was too wet but ever since it's been fine and required all the liquid. I now use equal quantities of plain and wholemeal flour so maybe that's why. I find it creates a more moist loaf. Once mixed with a fork I use a spatula to get it into a ball and tip it onto a floured tray, shape it again it needed. Give me a lovely high loaf. I have never had to turn it near the end. Always bakes evenly and lovely hollow sound when the full cooking time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

El Tarangu wrote: »

Are you my granny reborn?

Round Two.

Not happy with that Clodagh McKenna recipe at all......way too much liquid, too loose.

Is it a matter of just backing off the liquid? I think it is.

This time I, with difficulty, "put" it on a baking tray. Mix is way too sloppy.

HELP....:D:D:D:D:D

Looks OK .......
    The base is really "tap tap" dry though.

hBNf3wvl.jpg

That looks good, have you cut it yet?

This is one I made a few weeks ago with that recipe

Few hours in the garden......

It turned out nice,

1ofuLQfl.jpg

Yum!

Significantly better.......as advised above, just dropped the liquid amount a tad,

EYgSo6gl.jpg

nxSMykOl.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks good, enjoy

Advertisement