Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

KaneToad wrote: »
    I don't know anything about this current case.

I frequently see Tiktok videos of people 'introducing' their babies to the dog. Followed by montages of both curled up together asleep, rolling on the floor playing etc..

Without any hint of hyperbole, I think there is a role for social services to investigate in these instances. There is no safe dog when it comes to helpless infants. The guardians of the children are doing then a great disservice.

Nobody does.

Poor child, poor parents. Nothing else to say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Much like an assault rifle in America, there is no reason a regular Joe needs to be allowed own certain dog breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

KaneToad wrote: »
    More fool you...

If it was a different thread, I would probably come up with some smart answer. Child was killed by the dog, circumstances unknown. Very sad story as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Very sad story, can't imagine what are parents of the baby coming through right now.

Always had a dog in my life, love them and if they are raised right and with love, they give it back and become part of the family.

This is very old pic of my doggie and my older son, never had to be afraid to leave them two alone.

dav.jpg

Not always the case, you can not guarantee the behavior of any animal with its own mind, be it domestic or not.

I've had dogs all my life too and I wouldn't let any dog no matter what the temperament alone with a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Always had a dog in my life, love them and if they are raised right and with love, they give it back and become part of the family.

This is the key part that most people won’t understand, unfortunately. There are way too many dogs in unsuitable situations which can have tragic consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not always the case, you can not guarantee the behavior of any animal with its own mind, be it domestic or not.

I've had dogs all my life too and I wouldn't let any dog no matter what the temperament alone with a child.

We dont the even let our cat in a room with a baby . No animal should be trusted with a very young child

Dogs are lovely, but they are animals. Don't leave infant children unattended with them.

I think if you have a dog since he was 5 months old, know the dog for most of his life, you can guarantee the behaviour no problem. And it's not like I left him babysitting my son for couple of hours. There was of course always someone around, but there was no need to be watching them every minute, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Very sad story, can't imagine what are parents of the baby coming through right now.

This is very old pic of my doggie and my older son, never had to be afraid to leave them two alone.

dav.jpg

I love our dog, they are part of the family.

However there's a social hierarchy with dogs and while they will usually recognise a 'leader' in the family they might well view younger family members as down the pecking order or even on a par with themselves.

At the end of the day they are instinctive animals, there is no predicting how a dog will react to certain situations. If they are scared, tired, not feeling well, startled etc then they can behave differently.

Much like an assault rifle in America, there is no reason a regular Joe needs to be allowed own certain dog breeds.

Jesus that's an amazingly bad take/comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Dog lover myself and I'm looking at the list of breeds that have been involved in attacks and it's overwhelmingly weighted towards a select group...not sure what breed was involved in this case but I'd be fairly sure it's not a labrador, cocker Spaniel or a poodle. The types of dogs some people keep is baffling.

I think if you have a dog since he was 5 months old, know the dog for most of his life, you can guarantee the behaviour no problem. And it's not like I left him babysitting my son for couple of hours. There was of course always someone around, but there was no need to be watching them every minute, if you know what I mean.

It's about reading a dog's body language. I've been around dogs most of my life, I know when a dog is being playful, or aggressive, or is stressed, etc.

Infant children can NOT read this body language. As such, they might approach a dog when the dog is stressed or wants to be left alone, and the dog might lash out as any dog is capable of.

It is important to understand this. It applies to all human-dog interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We dont the even let our cat in a room with a baby . No animal should be trusted with a very young child

Tbh people are worse and more volatile

Jequ0n wrote: »

Not in my life thankfully .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I'm an animal lover, I grew up with dogs and cats and everything in between.

Thing is with small children they don't no enough to no that it's a live animal with it's own individual personality and feelings, they just see it as a teddy bear or toy, the most well behaved dog could easily get annoyed if a child hurt it or annoyed it too much and it could react badly.

I'm all for kids getting involved with animals but it needs to be monitored and supervised until they come of age.

Ah ffs. Get a grip. Ridiculous.

I'm an animal lover, I grew up with dogs and cats and everything in between.

Thing is with small children they don't no enough to no that it's a live animal with it's own individual personality and feelings, they just see it as a teddy bear or toy, the most well behaved dog could easily get annoyed if a child hurt it or annoyed it too much and it could react badly.

I'm all for kids getting involved with animals but it needs to be monitored and supervised until they come of age.

Exactly . I have an 18 month old grandchild who would go straight for the cats tail and pull it . They are never left together in a room and I protect the child and the cat by keeping them apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Dog lover myself and I'm looking at the list of breeds that have been involved in attacks and it's overwhelmingly weighted towards a select group...not sure what breed was involved in this case but I'd be fairly sure it's not a labrador, cocker Spaniel or a poodle. The types of dogs some people keep is baffling.

Labradors have a very high biting rate in almost every survey I've ever read. It's partly because of the sheer numbers of them (in comparison to say Pit Bulls) but regardless they still have a high rate.

RIP to that poor child. I won't be casting any judgements on either the parents or the dog while the facts are still unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Labradors have a very high biting rate in almost every survey I've ever read. It's partly because of the sheer numbers of them (in comparison to say Pit Bulls) but regardless they still have a high rate.

RIP to that poor child. I won't be casting any judgements on either the parents or the dog while the facts are still unknown.

As ever, details important. Huge number of labrador bites are reported as its postmen making claims against home owners. And a lot of bites are through letterbox. They're not attacking babies in cribs. Personal injury claims, not maulings. Anyway, RIP poor kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some people actively will allow their newborn to sleep with giant pitbulls.

• Advertisement

I think if you have a dog since he was 5 months old, know the dog for most of his life, you can guarantee the behaviour no problem.

A mother has known their child all of their life. It doesn't mean that all of the mothers of people who commit murders think, "ah yeah, sure I knew my child would do that eventually". Many mothers are completely shocked when their child commits a murder or something similar, and that can be true of a pet owner and a pet too.

I honestly don't get why people are surprised when dogs bite someone. If a dog is stressed or pissed off and you push it far enough, what is it going to do, talk it through with you?

To a dog, a bite is sometimes an appropriate response. It doesn't know any better.

They are not cuddly toys.

A mother has known their child all of their life. It doesn't mean that all of the mothers of people who commit murders think, "ah yeah, sure I knew my child would do that eventually". Many mothers are completely shocked when their child commits a murder or something similar, and that can be true of a pet owner and a pet too.

This kind of thinking goes well above my pay grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

With every incidence of dog bites I have known in my time on this planet, every owner but one said how friendly their dog was prior, how they have never done this before, that it's totally out of character blah blah blah.

It's a dog, descended from a wolf. Even those cute fluffy little lap dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly, have the propensity/ potential to do harm.

If you have a dog that has the potential to do great harm, you do not keep them near an infant.

Having a large dog once that didn't do harm to a child is not evidence that dogs should be around children.

All it is, is evidence that you were lucky.

Even those cute fluffy little lap dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly, have the propensity/ potential to do harm.

My parents last dog was a little terrier. Great personality, very mellow and friendly. He loved attention and was very tolerant of children. Everyone loved him. I don't recall him ever being aggressive to a human.

However, he absolutely hated every other dog in existence. He considered the entire street his territory and would turn into an absolute savage towards any dog, including larger breeds.

It was always a good reminder of the fact that as lovely and cute as he was, this dog had the potential to be aggressive when he felt threatened.

With every incidence of dog bites I have known in my time on this planet, every owner but one said how friendly their dog was prior, how they have never done this before, that it's totally out of character blah blah blah.

It's a dog, descended from a wolf. Even those cute fluffy little lap dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly, have the propensity/ potential to do harm.

If you have a dog that has the potential to do great harm, you do not keep them near an infant.

Having a large dog once that didn't do harm to a child is not evidence that dogs should be around children.

All it is, is evidence that you were lucky.

Ok, my own lifetime experience, 1 rottweiler and two black labs, second one is coming to her late years. None of my dogs ever attacked or bite anyone. My parents and grandparents always had a dog's too, again, as far as I can remember zero peeps attacked, zero peeps got bitten. I don't call it luck. If you have a dog and I didn't have any questionable breeds temper related, always raised from a puppy, so were the dogs parents and grandparents had, you take proper care of them, you can rely on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Very sad. So many dog breeds are specifically bred for hunting like Terriers and gun dogs. These breeds have it in their DNA to kill and catch small things. These should obviously be never left around children no matter how the owner feels about their dog. I have a German Shepherd and although they make fantastic family dogs and are very protective of their family I still would not leave him alone around kids. Even a cat should not be left alone around a 3 month old as they could smoother it by using it as a warm cushion.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

My grandparents had something like ten german shepherds in their time, sometimes two or three at once with 6 children and nearly 2 dozen grandchildren who were obssesed with them,playing with them all the time when they were in the house and in the garden unsupervised since they were old enough to walk and not once did the dogs ever even so much as growl at one of us.

Dogs that snap and do something like that are either not raised right or snap in a million to one chance in the same way a human could snap.

These dogs were given lots of love and attention while a lot of people who live in Dublin suburbs who supposedly "take good care of their dogs" tend to use them as house ornaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

This is bullshìt, I have gone through life without needing or wanting volatile or aggressive people around me, why you'd entertain someone of that mindset near a child is preposterous, I know the type of people you're referring to though, the type that type hun and xoxo and drink cider outside their house at half 11 in the morning after staying up all night watching McGregor, if you have scum around kids that are "volatile" you need your head checked

• Advertisement

I honestly believe that anthropomorphism is largely to blame for incidents like this.

In case this is news to people, dogs are not humans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement