Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

guy2231 wrote: »
    My grandparents had something like ten german shepherds in their time, sometimes two or three at once with 6 children and nearly 2 dozen grandchildren who were obssesed with them,playing with them all the time when they were in the house unsupervised since they were old enough to walk and not once did the dogs ever even so much as growl at one of us.

Dogs that snap and do something like that are either not raised right or snap in a million to one chance in the same way a human could snap.

GS are extremely good around children they know but even still I would not take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

A dog is at one remove from being feral. I've seen what can happen when their basic instinct takes over.

People need to exercise caution and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This is bullshìt, I have gone through life without needing or wanting volatile or aggressive people around me, why you'd entertain someone of that mindset near a child is preposterous, I know the type of people you're referring to though, the type that type hun and xoxo and drink cider outside their house at half 11 in the morning after staying up all night watching McGregor, if you have scum around kids that are "volatile" you need your head checked

Oh someone gets angry easily.
    I couldn’t care less but stand by it: humans are far more dangerous than animals. That said I never leave my own dogs unsupervised around other people’s children. The chance of something happening might be small but it does it will cause a massive **** storm.

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Oh someone gets angry easily.
    I couldn’t care less but stand by it: humans are far more dangerous than animals.

If you think this type of sentiment is appropriate on a thread like this so soon after the incident, then that says a lot about you.

Absolutely no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

When a dog kills a human, who should be held responsible?
    I’m particularly interested in the answers from those who own the aggressive breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

I’m particularly interested in the answers from those who own the aggressive breeds.

Don't have an aggressive breed, but owner should be responsible. No ifs or buts.

Your dog, your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It never ceases to amaze me how people try to rationalise these issues with anecdotes about how they or their families have kept dogs for years around children without incident, it's all utterly ridiculous.

A dog is an animal, and in the right conditions an animal can be dangerous even if it's typically fine around people and even children.

If you are going to have dogs in the same house as small kids they should NEVER have the ability to reach said kids unsupervised end of story.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

In my opinion the dog owner is responsible for the dogs actions. If the dog kills then that is manslaughter every time.

I think the poor baby isn't a day in heaven.... so mind your typing skills...

it is not for u to make broad statements about criminal offences. her family could be reading a public forum.

leave it to the authorities

accidents happen

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A friend has a husky, it’s been well trained, raised, etc... but spend 5 minutes with it and you’ll find her to be intelligent, kind, inquisitive, strong, extremely agile, athletic, and fast....

Take the kindness out of that dogs nature and replace it with aggressiveness/anger/jealous... and it could be a dangerous mix...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

As heart breaking as this tragedy is, it will happen again as people never learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I honestly believe that anthropomorphism is largely to blame for incidents like this.

In case this is news to people, dogs are not humans.

Probably people should learn how to raise a dog, if they wanna have one. Everyone knows they are not humans, but they are not chargeable toys either. That's where problem sits. If you decide to own the dog, learn how to make him or her happy and they'll pay you back big time.

Depends on the circumstances. Sometimes the owner (by negligence), sometimes the person killed (by enticing the dog), sometimes nobody (dog manages to break from its leash) etc.

Creg12 wrote: »
    I think the poor baby isn't a day in heaven.... so mind your typing skills...

it is not for u to make broad statements about criminal offences. her family could be reading a public forum.

leave it to the authorities

accidents happen

This is a discussion forum. I’m stating my humble opinion. I make no apologies for that.

I stand by my original post.

°°°°°

Depends on the circumstances. Sometimes the owner (by negligence), sometimes the person killed (by enticing the dog), sometimes nobody (dog manages to break from its leash) etc.

In that last example the owner is responsible for not ensuring the restraints were fit for purpose.

Glazers Out!

This is a discussion forum. I’m stating my humble opinion. I make no apologies for that.

I stand by my original post.

Your humble opinion makes you sound callous and insensitive.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Probably people should learn how to raise a dog, if they wanna have one. Everyone knows they are not humans, but they are not chargeable toys either. That's where problem sits. If you decide to own the dog, learn how to make him or her happy and they'll pay you back big time.

I agree that raising the dog responsibly can pay huge dividends, however, this does not guarantee that the dog will be bite proof. Dogs have their own mind, and biting is a response that every dog is capable of.

I have made multiple posts explaining why this is a fact already in this thread. Please reference those if you want to know more.

Actually I’m quite sensitive to infants being mauled by aggressive animals. Somebody is to blame for this.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

nullzero wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people try to rationalise these issues with anecdotes about how they or their families have kept dogs for years around children without incident, it's all utterly ridiculous.

A dog is an animal, and in the right conditions an animal can be dangerous even if it's typically fine around people and even children.

If you are going to have dogs in the same house as small kids they should NEVER have the ability to reach said kids unsupervised end of story.

How often do things like this happen? About as often or probably far less often than a family member snapping and killing a child.

One instance of a dog killing a child and you get the PC brigade coming along saying your dog is not safe to have around your children.

Raising a dog from 3 months old is far different to getting a 6 year old neglected pit bull from dogs trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s your problem though
    You should be able to have a discussion with a cool head

In that last example the owner is responsible for not ensuring the restraints were fit for purpose.

Not necessarily, it could also be a manufacturing defect.

If a person in custody manages to escape from their handcuffs, whose fault is it? It could be the officer's fault, the fault of the manufacturer of the handcuffs or nobody's fault, depending on the situation.

• Advertisement

Jequ0n wrote: »
    That’s your problem though

It's certainly not. Someone else looking callous and insensitive is no problem of mine.

A general discussion about children's safety around animals is absolutely fine. In this particular thread, so close after the incident, I don't think it to be appropriate. I havent lost my ability to keep a cool head.

I just think a tragic story like this is difficult enough to read without people jumping in with two feet and stating the bleeding obvious (i.e, door should be closed, dogs can be dangerous)

I'll wait until I hear more details, but until then I'm going to treat it like a tragic accident.

°°°°°

Not necessarily, it could also be a manufacturing defect.

If a person in custody manages to escape from their handcuffs, whose fault is it? It could be the officer's fault, the fault of the manufacturer of the handcuffs or nobody's fault, depending on the situation.

True, but it could be argued that the owner should have tested that the restraint was fit for purpose.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I agree that raising the dog responsibly can pay huge dividends, however, this does not guarantee that the dog will be bite proof. Dogs have their own mind, and biting is a response that every dog is capable of.

I have made multiple posts explaining why this is a fact already in this thread. Please reference those if you want to know more.

Honestly people can bite too and they do it. I've read your posts!

True, but it could be argued that the owner should have tested that the restraint was fit for purpose.

Yes, but if that leash had been working fine for years, even though it did have a defect, is it their fault when that defect came to fruition?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nobody knows what really happened. Baby is gone.

But I will say it is very very odd for a dog to attack an infant like that. Never heard of it before. Very sorry for all connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭bmc58

Our family have had and have dogs (all terriers) in our family over the years.Children and grandchildren have been involved.Both dogs and children loved each other,but I would say dogs cannot be totally trusted on their own with children.It's really hard to say more on the subject as the poor family must be distraught at this time.I really think this thread is not appropiate at this time and comments should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Saw this earlier and I find it best not to think about it tbh. Absolutely horrifying stuff. RIP to the little one and prayers to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

bmc58 wrote: »
    I really think this thread is not appropiate at this time and comments should be closed.

Agree

°°°°°

guy2231 wrote: »
    How often do things like this happen? About as often or probably far less often than a family member snapping and killing a child.

One instance of a dog killing a child and you get the PC brigade coming along saying your dog is not safe to have around your children.

Raising a dog from 3 months old is far different to getting a 6 year old neglected pit bull from dogs trust.

I've had dogs all my life, I'm not part of the PC brigade I'm just stating facts. No matter how wonderful your dog is, what age you got it at there is a potential for danger particularly around children.

Discussions about family members "snapping" are not relevant to this discussion either.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You don't know the whole story, you're just speculating here. Precautions can be taken and things can still go wrong. Not everything goes to plan.

We know the child could be accessed by a large dog and tragedy ensued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement