Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fits wrote: »
    Nobody knows what really happened. Baby is gone.

But I will say it is very very odd for a dog to attack an infant like that. Never heard of it before. Very sorry for all connections.

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Darc19 wrote: »
    Very sad but no reason for knee jerk reactions.

The number of children killed by dogs is miniscule, and whilst one is one too many, you could argue against cars being on the road as a lot more are killed in road accidents.

I think we have 3 cases in the last ten years, but because it attracts a lot of media attention, it can seem to be a lot more.

So let's stop scaremongering or in the case of one poster jumping to conclusions on a party. ( Utterly ridiculous)

This is a very sad time for the extended family.

I wonder how many non-fatal attacks there have been in that ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yes, but if that leash had been working fine for years, even though it did have a defect, is it their fault when that defect came to fruition?

With any item of that type it would have to manufactured within the parameters of a standard that ensures it's safety as well as it's general integrity. Part of that would cover the lifespan of said item. If an animal restraint was used for longer than it was intended (the wear on it's part caused it to fail) and it wasn't replaced the fault lies with the owner. If the item fails on the day of purchase it's the fault of the manufacturer.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Sadly there’s a number of factors at play in this case. Stupidity is a strong word considering the seriousness and this may have been an accident of forgetting to ensure the door was closed, nobody knows so I won’t pass judgement. I leave the dog in the kitchen and have left the room almost certain I had closed the door behind me only to see the dog in the living room a few minutes later. The door didn’t shut fully and click.
    It’s unbearable to think about and has played on my mind all day as I enjoyed the beach with my golden retriever pup.
    Myself and partner have always said we would never leave an animal unsupervised around a child. It doesn’t matter how friendly the dog is.
    RIP.

Nobody knows what really happened. Baby is gone.

But I will say it is very very odd for a dog to attack an infant like that. Never heard of it before. Very sorry for all connections.

It happens unfortunately

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Advertisement

I really wish I didn't read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So sorry for the little child, what... about 12 weeks old, poor little mite. I would be very nervous of any type of dog being around children TBH, don't care how great, well behaved and cuddly they are, gives me the shivers that they can turn in an instant.

Anyway dog will be put down and I doubt the family will get another one anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Probably people should learn how to raise a dog, if they wanna have one. Everyone knows they are not humans, but they are not chargeable toys either. That's where problem sits. If you decide to own the dog, learn how to make him or her happy and they'll pay you back big time.

I find this post extremely disturbing given the events of several hours ago. A three month old baby is dead due to entirely preventable circumstances and we get "Probably people should learn how to raise a dog". It is possible, even likely, that this dog was raised right and its owners made it happy. The dog will also make itself happy and it doesn't understand that sometimes that can make its owners extremely unhappy. Trusting a dog entirely around an infant is never a good idea no matter how it was raised.

I'm not saying that the parents in this case trusted the dog allowing this to happen, I don't know the circumstances, but deflecting to assumptions on how the dog in question was raised isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Strumms wrote: »
    We know the child could be accessed by a large dog and tragedy ensued.

Is there any update to the story? Haven't been following the news so don't know the size of the dog, don't think it matters anyway. As some poster, or posters suggested errors can happen, so by now I can imagine there are parents in bits, cuz their baby is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Locotastic wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter, any breed of dog could seriously injure a sleeping little baby even without intending to.
    It does matter. Yes you should be vigilant with any dog around a baby. However if a breed has a history of attacking babies or small children then you would be better off not having them anywhere near the child in the first place.

If the rumour is true that it is a husky or husky mix then I would say that is particularly pertinent because I have heard of attacks by that breed on small children before.

• Advertisement

The article says it was a Husky.
    No it doesn't. Not the one in the OP anyway. All I found was articles saying the breed was not yet known.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Strumms wrote: »
    We know the child could be accessed by a large dog and tragedy ensued.

We know the tragic ending. That's all.

grassylawn wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Not the one in the OP anyway. All I found was articles saying the breed was not yet known.

Oh, I must have gotten confused. I'll delete that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's quite likely that the dog in this instance belongs to the category of dangerous breeds rather than a cocker spaniel, say. If this was indeed the case it would beggar belief that it could be left unattended in a room with a child of any age let alone a helpless infant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

To infants? Usually with older children there is some sort of interaction happening but a 3 month old infant just lying there. It’s really really odd.

To infants? Usually with older children there is some sort of interaction happening but a 3 month old infant just lying there. It’s really really odd.

I read that article, there were a few 7, 8 day old children listed.

Utterly depressing to read. I don't recommend it.

nullzero wrote: »
    With any item of that type it would have to manufactured within the parameters of a standard that ensures it's safety as well as it's general integrity. Part of that would cover the lifespan of said item. If an animal restraint was used for longer than it was intended (the wear on it's part caused it to fail) and it wasn't replaced the fault lies with the owner. If the item fails on the day of purchase it's the fault of the manufacturer.

I did not mention anything about using it longer than intended.

As an example, let's say the defect was that under hot weather, the leash becomes much easier to break but the manufacturer didn't state that on the product page. Let's say the dog owner bought the leash in November and, because it was working fine for months and seemed incredibly durable, did not doubt its durability. Is the dog owner in any way responsible for what the dog does after it breaks free in the summer? And is that dependent on whether that temperature defect was with just this specific leash rather than any other samples of that leash, i.e. the mistake the manufacturer made wasn't with not mentioning a temperature dependence on the product page but with a defect with just this one leash?

An even more subjective question would be, what if the manufacturer did specify that that leash should only be used between e.g. 0-25 degrees Celsius in the information booklet that comes in the leash? Do you honestly have any knowledge right now whether the leashes you have are all expected to durable at all temperatures? Do you think an average dog owner reads that information booklet? Do you think you need to read that booklet to be considered a responsible dog owner? Do you think all responsible dog owners who read that booklet in November will remember what it said in the summer? etc.

Risks to babies and children when sleeping
    Never leave a baby or small child alone with a dog, even if they're asleep. Dogs can confuse newborn babies with toys. Always keep babies out of a dog's reach.

Dogs have attacked children and babies for no apparent reason. This has sometimes happened when the child is sleeping. The attack can lead to serious injury or death.

Do not allow your dog to use any of your child's equipment or cot for play, relaxing on or sleeping.

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/pets-and-child-safety/dogs-risks-to-your-childs-health.html

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

nullzero wrote: »
    I've had dogs all my life, I'm not part of the PC brigade I'm just stating facts. No matter how wonderful your dog is, what age you got it at there is a potential for danger particularly around children.

Discussions about family members "snapping" are not relevant to this discussion either.

The point is dogs very very rarely do something like this, one instance of a dog attacking a child and people are trying to say your dogs are no longer safe around children which is absolute rubbish.

Dogs feel love there are as many instances of dogs protecting children that they love and would never think of harming them no matter what, although with certain breeds I agree like pit bulls I think they are viscious horrible animals with terrible personalities.

People have the judgement to know that their dogs are safe around their children are they sometimes wrong? Yes, sometimes people have judgement and get it wrong sometimes the mothers are wrong thinking their boyfriends are safe around their children and they end up being molested or killed by them.

With every incidence of dog bites I have known in my time on this planet, every owner but one said how friendly their dog was prior, how they have never done this before, that it's totally out of character blah blah blah.

It's a dog, descended from a wolf. Even those cute fluffy little lap dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly, have the propensity/ potential to do harm.

If you have a dog that has the potential to do great harm, you do not keep them near an infant.

Having a large dog once that didn't do harm to a child is not evidence that dogs should be around children.

All it is, is evidence that you were lucky.

I’ve a small dog- you could class it as “friendly” - he’s slow enough on the lead in the main-BUT- every once in a while, he gets a scent and there’s no holding him back- it’s like he’s in a trance- it’s usually another dog scent but he’s off like he’s high on speed or something - translate that to a dog many times his size or slightly more aggressive and you could have trouble.

There are a number of cases in Europe and the world every year of dogs killing infants or small children- as you say many of these could be classed as “friendly” or “a family let” before the incident - but having owned a dog and been around dogs for a while I know that unpredictability can be a significant trait in some dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I find this post extremely disturbing given the events of several hours ago. A three month old baby is dead due to entirely preventable circumstances and we get "Probably people should learn how to raise a dog". It is possible, even likely, that this dog was raised right and its owners made it happy. The dog will also make itself happy and it doesn't understand that somethings that can make its owners extremely unhappy. Trusting a dog entirely around an infant is never a good idea no matter how it was raised.

I'm not saying that the parents in this case trusted the dog allowing this to happen, I don't know the circumstances, but deflecting to assumptions on how the dog in question was raised isn't right.

I'm sorry, but you've probably read my last post only. I've never put any actions of parents of the sadly passed child in question. I didn't make any judgment to anything connected to the case. I didn't defend the dog. And I didn't blame anyone. So I don't really get your post. Extremely disturbing?

You obviously didn’t look at the link- what’s the point in continuing to post inaccuracies when I present you with facts

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Iv'e owned various types of dogs my entire life including restricted breeds to King Charles Spaniels. I wouldn't leave a child alone with one even for a minute for the child's or dogs sake.

I never let kids pet my dogs when out and about walking under any circumstances as all it takes is a snap and the dog might have to be put to sleep depending on the victim of the bites view of it. I seen a black lab off lead attack a child of no more than 3 up in the Dublin mountains a few years back and luckily i got to the animal before it could do real damage, the owner was 100metres back completely out of breath running up the hill and the kids parent was further away than me and didn't react in time.

You all kinds of attention seekers on YouTube and other media sites putting their babies or kids beside Pitbulls, Rottweiler's, Labs whatever letting the kids pull the animals ears or climb atop them for likes etc.. This sort of stuff sickens me and is asking for trouble.

Dogs are the most wonderful creatures truly a gift to us all and i'll never be without one but even the most placid of dog can turn vicious in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

grassylawn wrote: »
    Risks to babies and children when sleeping
    Never leave a baby or small child alone with a dog, even if they're asleep. Dogs can confuse newborn babies with toys. Always keep babies out of a dog's reach.

Dogs have attacked children and babies for no apparent reason. This has sometimes happened when the child is sleeping. The attack can lead to serious injury or death.

Do not allow your dog to use any of your child's equipment or cot for play, relaxing on or sleeping.

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/pets-and-child-safety/dogs-risks-to-your-childs-health.html

This is it..

Dogs alone with young children would be similar to leaving a small child/infant/toddler alone in a bath. The potential for tragedy is there..

So sickening to think that such a helpless baby to end its life like it did...

You obviously didn’t look at the link- what’s the point in continuing to post inaccuracies when I present you with facts

I clicked through and saw statistics presented by decade. It wasn’t specific to infants so I didn’t look further. Tbh I don’t really want to delve into the subject too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's because the underlying assumption is that this terrible accident was an attack.
    It may not have been.

The dog may just have been curious and wanted to get at the child, get it out of the crib. With the only tool for doing so being a mouth full of teeth...well ...:(

But again ..we know nothing about what happend, we're all just making assumptions.

I just know that I find all this terribly sad and upsetting.

peasant wrote: »
    That's because the underlying assumption is that this terrible accident was an attack.
    It may not have been.

The dog may just have been curious and wanted to get at the child, get it out of the crib. With the only tool for doing so being a mouth full of teeth...well ...:(

But again ..we know nothing about what happend, we're all just making assumptions.

I just know that I find all this terribly sad and upsetting.

I agree with you peasant. We don’t know what happened and probably never will but I doubt it’s as straightforward as media and this thread might imply - with little to back it up.

I agree with you peasant. We don’t know what happened and probably never will but I doubt it’s as straightforward as media and this thread might imply - with little to back it up.

Apparently the fact that dogs have the potential to bite is controversial to some.

*shrugs*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The poor family:( this is so tragic and sad. I hope that they get through it.
    Maybe the dog was in for the night and mades its way into the bedroom.
    We have no idea what happened only that a family lost their little baby:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you've probably read my last post only. I've never put any actions of parents of the sadly passed child in question. I didn't make any judgment to anything connected to the case. I didn't defend the dog. And I didn't blame anyone. So I don't really get your post. Extremely disturbing?

No I read all your posts here including seeing the photo you posted and saying you could leave that dog with the baby. In the context of a three month old having just been killed by a dog, I do think you saying people should learn to raise their dogs is disturbing. Regardless of how a dog was raised, it can still kill a child, even if it not being aggressive and entirely by accident. I think everyone agrees that the chances of a well raised dog killing a child are very small, just about everyone would also agree that you still shouldn't take any charges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement