Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old baby killed by dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

The stuff of nightmares. My thoughts and prayers are with this family right now. God help them.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    No I read all your posts here including seeing the photo you posted and saying you could leave that dog with the baby. In the context of a three month old having just been killed by a dog, I do think you saying people should learn to raise their dogs is disturbing. Regardless of how a dog was raised, it can still kill a child, even if it not being aggressive and entirely by accident. I think everyone agrees that the chances of a well raised dog killing a child are very small, just about everyone would also agree that you still shouldn't take any charges.

Spot on..

I don’t give a fiddlers how well anyone says or thinks their dog is raised..

Around a defenceless baby, these dogs should be either muzzled or kept well away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

No I read all your posts here including seeing the photo you posted and saying you could leave that dog with the baby. In the context of a three month old having just been killed by a dog, I do think you saying people should learn to raise their dogs is disturbing. Regardless of how a dog was raised, it can still kill a child, even if it not being aggressive and entirely by accident. I think everyone agrees that the chances of a well raised dog killing a child are very small, just about everyone would also agree that you still shouldn't take any charges.

Well I think you absolutely misread my posts. Well at least the way you are trying to paint them out. Thank you for your feedback, to be honest it's disturbing for me, somebody could come up with this idea based on my posts on this thread.

guy2231 wrote: »
    My grandparents had something like ten german shepherds in their time, sometimes two or three at once with 6 children and nearly 2 dozen grandchildren who were obssesed with them,playing with them all the time when they were in the house and in the garden unsupervised since they were old enough to walk and not once did the dogs ever even so much as growl at one of us.

Dogs that snap and do something like that are either not raised right or snap in a million to one chance in the same way a human could snap.

These dogs were given lots of love and attention while a lot of people who live in Dublin suburbs who supposedly "take good care of their dogs" tend to use them as house ornaments.

Well, you are one of the luck stories..

But to suggest that this luck was due to how the dogs were raised is nonsense.

Dogs are animals. Always have the potential to attack and kill. It’s part of their DNA

Anyone leaving young children alone with dogs and thinking it is ok because they raised their dogs good is just reckless behaviour.

grassylawn wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Not the one in the OP anyway. All I found was articles saying the breed was not yet known.

TV3 news just on now states “non restrictive breed”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

walshb wrote: »
    Spot on..

I don’t give a fiddlers how well anyone says or thinks their dog is raised..

Around a defenceless baby, these dogs should be either muzzled or kept well away...

I wouldn’t even go that far tbh. 95% of dogs can be around a baby unmuzzled - with supervision and not letting the baby do things which could annoy the dog (pull at it, etc.). If there is no supervision, a muzzle makes no difference, dog and baby still shouldn't be left together. Maybe that's what you were saying, just seems worded a bit odd to me.

I wouldn’t even go that far tbh. 95% of dogs can be around a baby unmuzzled - with supervision and not letting the baby do things which could annoy the dog (pull at it, etc.). If there is no supervision, a muzzle makes no difference, dog and baby still shouldn't be left together. Maybe that's what you were saying, just seems worded a bit odd to me.

Simple: a dog can kill a small baby with one bite. Fraction of a second..

Now, to eliminate this possibility, you have options.

One is a muzzle.

One is not to have a dog

One is to make sure baby and dog cannot interact..
    But yes, don’t leave a dog alone with a baby.

walshb wrote: »
    Simple: a dog can kill a small baby with one bite. Fraction of a second..

Now, to eliminate this possibility, you have options.

One is a muzzle.

One is not to have a dog

One is to make sure baby and dog cannot interact..
    But yes, don’t leave a dog alone with a baby.

Going by good few posts here that's the best option. Must be easier to have a shark in a bathtub.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Well I think you absolutely misread my posts. Well at least the way you are trying to paint them out. Thank you for your feedback, to be honest it's disturbing for me, somebody could come up with this idea based on my posts on this thread.

You said
    Probably people should learn how to raise a dog, if they wanna have one. Everyone knows they are not humans, but they are not chargeable toys either. That's where problem sits. If you decide to own the dog, learn how to make him or her happy and they'll pay you back big time.

Sounds to me like you are putting the dogs behaviour on a person rather than recognising the fact that any dog around a baby unsupervised is a dangerous situation (despite the chances of something happening being very low).

It may be the case that in this instance there were issues with the way the dog was raised which contributed to the incident but we don't know that. Regardless of that, from the post I quoted above and your post with the photo, you seem to be saying some dogs can be left unsupervised with babies. I think that is wrong at any time but particularly given the events of the past 20 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No amount of debate will change the fact that they loss a child, or make any difference to the fact it will happen again. You really need to put a new born baby first in any situation, first over a dam dog, the Queen of England , President of the United States, they all can take the shed outside.

• Advertisement

Going by good few posts here that's the best option. Must be easier to have a shark in a bathtub.

I don't. I think it's possible to have a dog and children, once you take sufficient precautions and you don't delude yourself into believing that you and your dog have some kind of psychic tacit agreement that the children are never to be bitten, no matter how the kids behave towards the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Without wanting to generalise I can picture the setting in my mind, I just can sorry

With proper order and things done right events rarely if ever happen............when they're not, well things can go wrong

You said

Sounds to me like you are putting the dogs behaviour on a person rather than recognising the fact that any dog around a baby unsupervised is a dangerous situation (despite the chances of something happening being very low).

It may be the case that in this instance there were issues with the way the dog was raised which contributed to the incident but we don't know that. Regardless of that, from the post I quoted above and your post with the photo, you seem to be saying some dogs can be left unsupervised with babies. I think that is wrong at any time but particularly given the events of the past 20 hours or so.

If it sounds like that to you fine, but that's not what I did or doing or meaning. I'm sorry but I stay firm on one thing, if you raise dog from puppy, as I did three times so far, proper way, you can easily judge their behaviour. Pointing out again, I had non of the questionable breeds.

And I don't think you did read all of my posts. Or you just picking up whatever suits. Might be my fault in wording in the post with picture. Anyway as I said in another post dog wasn't hired as a babysitter, but we didn't have to watch kid and the dog every single minute.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

People these days are scared of everything, scared to let their kids play outside, scared of dogs, scared of teenagers with hoodies on, we live in a wimpy society these days it's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

If it sounds like that to you fine, but that's not what I did or doing or meaning. I'm sorry but I stay firm on one thing, if you raise dog from puppy, as I did three times so far, proper way, you can easily judge their behaviour. Pointing out again, I had non of the questionable breeds.

And I don't think you did read all of my posts. Or you just picking up whatever suits. Might be my fault in wording in the post with picture. Anyway as I said in another post dog wasn't hired as a babysitter, but we didn't have to watch kid and the dog every single minute.

Why would you take a chance though? Even a remarkably well trained dog will retain a prey drive. Ever seen a dog pull a squeaky toy around? There's a point where training becomes irrelevant and supervision is necessary. My dog has an amazing bond with my baby. She's been by my side all through my pregnancy, is very protective of the baby and follows her everywhere she goes. But, even though I believe she would never harm her, I still would never leave them unsupervised. There's nothing to be gained from it, and everything to be lost.

guy2231 wrote: »
    People these days are scared of everything, scared to let their kids play outside, scared of dogs, scared of teenagers with hoodies on, we live in a wimpy society these days it's just the way it is.

That’s not at all applicable to responsible and proper parenting between parents and the most important part of their lives, their children..

And not agreeing with or not thinking it’s ok to leave young children alone with dogs is nothing to do with wimpeyness

This attitude comes across like the “Sh1t happens” crap you hear for incidents that are completely preventable.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why would you take a chance though? Even a remarkably well trained dog will retain a prey drive. Ever seen a dog pull a squeaky toy around? There's a point where training becomes irrelevant and supervision is necessary. My dog has an amazing bond with my baby. She's been by my side all through my pregnancy, is very protective of the baby and follows her everywhere she goes. But, even though I believe she would never harm her, I still would never leave them unsupervised. There's nothing to be gained from it, and everything to be lost.

As I said, and again excuse my wording in my first post with pic, there was always someone around, but just not staring at two of them every single minute. That doesn't mean I'm irresponsible parent, all the risks were assessed and older son and younger son are still alive having great relationship with our almost 10 year old black lab lady these days. Never bitten or threatened by her ever.

It's not even about the dog getting aggressive, a dog could smother a baby unbeknownst to itself. As said, why even take the risk? Would any parent take a baby in the car on the public road, even 100m, without being adequately restrained in a suitable seat? To me, leaving a baby alone with even a well trained dog is the same thing, the chance of something happening are very small but the results could be so severe that you just don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

I don't understand people who say 'my dog is raised correctly, it would never be a problem with my children'. Generally, the fact that your dog never bit anyone is despite you, not because of you. I doubt anyone whose dog is involved in an attack thinks 'oh well I'm not surprised, that dog is savage, I really messed up its upbringing'.

The story in the OP is a pure tragedy, however it came about. I hope the baby girl's parents and families can find some comfort in family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As I said, and again excuse my wording in my first post with pic, there was always someone around, but just not staring at two of them every single minute. That doesn't mean I'm irresponsible parent, all the risks were assessed and older son and younger son are still alive having great relationship with our almost 10 year old black lab lady these days. Never bitten or threatened by her ever.

My aunt had three young children and a beautiful golden cocker spaniel . A sweetheart of a dog ,,gentle and quiet and loved the kids. They never had an ounce of trouble with him , never bit or threatened by him
    One day they were on the beach and the dog curled up on the rug . Out of the blue the dog got up and made a beeline for a family a few yards away and bit one of the children . No dog should ever ever be left unsupervised with a young child in a room
    As I posted before I wouldn’t even leave my cat in a room with a child it quite simply is an animal and not to be trusted

• Advertisement

I give up guys. English is not my native language, so I believe I've must messed it up somewhere after reading your responses. It looks like I'm totally irresponsible guy when it comes to the dogs and kids. I can assure you I'm not. Always proud of my kids and dog's too, doing everything to not let any of them to get any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG that poor baby, sleep tight angel, RIP

I hope that dog is put down asap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

So much compassion

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Hopefully no one will suggest parents are in fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hopefully no one will suggest either way seen as none of us know the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Dog lover myself and I'm looking at the list of breeds that have been involved in attacks and it's overwhelmingly weighted towards a select group...not sure what breed was involved in this case but I'd be fairly sure it's not a labrador, cocker Spaniel or a poodle. The types of dogs some people keep is baffling.

I worked in an animal shelter and can tell you we had more bites from labs, poodles and cocker spaniels (especially cockers) than pit bulls! Just the smaller dogs bites are less likely to kill.

Someone posted it was a husky/husky mix, wonder if it might be an Akita, they look like huskies but are a lot more aggressive especially around kids.

Of course that will be suggested..

Parents themselves blame themselves in situations where their children are hurt and worse..

Hopefully no one will assume that the parents are or are not at fault given that we don't know the circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Even our dopey dog, who rarely as much as scratches himself, showed what I considered too much interest in a friend's baby. I would not leave any dog alone with a child.
    I feel so sorry for the child obviously but also for the parents, who no matter how well or not well they made arrangements for the child's safety, do not deserve this.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Hopefully no one will suggest either way seen as none of us know the circumstances

Exactly, but as you can see dog needs to be put down asap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement