Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Matchday 6 : Results

Group A

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 4 V 1 Club Brugge (BEL)

RB Leipzig (GER) 2 V 1 Manchester City FC (ENG)

Group B

AC Milan (ITA) 1 V 2 Liverpool FC (ENG)

FC Porto (POR) 1 V 3 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Group C

AFC Ajax (NED) 4 V 2 Sporting Club De Portugal (POR)

Borussia Dortmund (GER) 5 V 0 Beşiktaş JK (TUR)

Group D

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 2 V 0 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 1 V 1 FC Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)

Group E

FC Bayern München (GER) 3 V 0 FC Barcelona (ESP)

SL Benfica (POR) 2 V 0 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Group F

Atalanta BC (ITA) 2 V 3 Villarreal CF (ESP)

Manchester United FC (ENG) 1 V 1 BSC Young Boys (SUI)

Group G

FC Salzburg (AUT) 1 V 0 Sevilla FC (ESP)

VFL Wolfsburg (GER) 1 V 3 LOSC Lille (FRA)

Group H

Football Club Zenit (RUS) 3 V 3 Chelsea FC (ENG)

Juventus (ITA) 1 V 0 Malmö FF (SWE)

Round of 16

Seeded - Manchester City (ENG), Liverpool FC (ENG), AFC Ajax (NED), Real Madrid CF (ESP), FC Bayern München (GER), Manchester United FC (ENG), LOSC Lille (FRA) & Juventus (ITA)

Unseeded - Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP), Sporting Club De Portugal (POR), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), SL Benfica (POR), Villarreal CF (ESP), FC Salzburg (AUT) & Chelsea FC (ENG)

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yea it was like he was lying there for two or three minutes and no one realised he was down injured.

Doesn't look good either with two strechers over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Barcelona scoring just 2 goals during 6 Champions League group games is absolutely insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

2 from Portugal and neither are Porto which sounds odd.

Great too see Lille were not just gutted and useless after winning the French League.

RB had a tough task but 1 from Germany really isn't good enough from the Bundesliga.

Atalanta Villarreal going ahead tomorrow (hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On the goals show they said Atalanta vs Villarreal will kick off at 3:30pm tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what the english teams can get in the round of 16:

could very easily have 4 english teams in the quarter final.

PSG and BM the main threats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

I think the happiest man tonight might be David Wagner.

He is out of Europe and can now concentrate on the league. They had 10 more shots than Manchester United tonight and could have stayed out there all night and not added to the earlier goal (was the assist from Van de Beek or Wan Bissaka?). One of the worst games I have ever watched - no ability by either side to string a few meaningful passes together.

Actually, maybe David Wagner isn't the happiest man tonight, as he knows he has to watch that muck week in week out. We are off the hook now.

I now see that Tom Heaton made a debut for Man. Utd. 16 years after signing for them. The award is his !!!

United need a good draw but the other 3 are all title contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,212 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wow that's some stat. Only Malmö & Kiev scored less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How the mighty are fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to see City draw Atletico... as much as Atleti have dropped their quality a bit this year, they're exactly the type of team that could cause City a problem. Be a really interesting tie in the contrast of styles.

Have a feeling, from a narrative perspective, that we'll see Utd draw either Salzburg (for the Ragnick connection), or PSG, for the Messi V Ronaldo showdown (part a million, featuring all new teams!).

And it might get worse. The way they are playing they might not even qualify for the CL next season from La Liga.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Do atheletico have a load of injuries' i thought i heard or read something about that yesterday, if thats the case they could be in a much different place come february

Suarez is injured, but he'll be back. Felipe was suspended on Tuesday night, but he'll be back too.

The injured list for Tuesday's game was Trippier, Saponjic, Savic and Giminez - all due back before 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Highly recommend Simon Kupers book on Barca that came out recently, covers the rise and fall of Barca brilliantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

2 from Portugal and neither are Porto which sounds odd.

Porto were in the toughest group and had they not lost to Atletico in their final game, they would have progressed.

Atalanta vs Villarreal has been moved to a 6pm kick-off. BT Sport ESPN are showing it. Pity that it now clashes with Napoli vs Leicester in the Europa League where Napoli must win and Leicester need at least a draw.

It's as bad as they have been since the pre Rijkaard years. But back then they actually had a good squad but things just went off the rails. Now between the financial mismanagement and the squad available it looks a long way back

Atalanta XI: Musso; Toloi, Demiral, Palomino; Hateboer, de Roon, Freuler, Maehle; Pesina; Ilicic, Zapata.

Villarreal XI: Rulli; Foyth, Albiol, Torres, Estupinan; Gomez, Capoue, Parejo, A. Moreno; G. Moreno, Danjuma.

Must-win game for Atalanta, while a draw is enough for Villarreal to progress. This could be a great game. An early Atalanta goal would open it up nicely.

Danjuma scores for Villarreal inside 3 minutes on the break. Can't give him that kind of opportunity.

Capoue makes it 2-0 just before half-time. Atalanta in big trouble.

3-0 Villarreal and that's that. Danjuma with another goal. What a season he's having.

3-1. Malinovskyi pulls one back. Just the 3 more needed in the last 20 minutes...

3-2. Well, this is interesting. Zapata with a nice dinked finish. 11 minutes to find 2 more goals...

Full-time and Villarreal are the final team to make the last 16. Better second half from Atalanta but Villarreal deserved it. Europa League for Atalanta.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Well any of the private Milan FB pages I'm on, which are nearly exclusively Italian Milan fans, are of the opinion, pegging Inter back in league titles is the priority. They also know of their teams financial situation, so domestic consistency is the only way for long term European success.

Had Milan put all focus on Europe and struggled domestically, missing out on European cup money next year, where's the value in terms of long term rebuilding to be the best again in Europe? Milan fans, from the consensus I could gauge, have accepted mediocrity in Europe for the time if progress can be made domestically, as they've had a decade to come up terms with this.

Milan are the king's of modern European football, the most stellar name in world football, and hopefully it's only a question of time before they will be again. But their financial implications, mostly from a political source, have held them up hugely in terms of rebuilding. Pegging Inter back for the minute, is the priority, build on that. We both know it, so less with the "do you even watch football" rubbish tbh. How many others were as die hard certain as me, that Italy would win the euros if I don't watch football? Not many let me assure you. I lectured people to back them for over a year, and was laughed at.

Milan are rebuilding, but domestic performance is the only goal for now, and rightly so. No team sets out to lose, but it's obvious whats at play when you see the performance, like Milan in Europe this year. Game week one against Liverpool, sat tight and couldn't believe their luck when they went ahead. After that, didn't press or even try, any result was a bonus.

Off the back of that result, gave Atleti a rattle, didn't work out, finished with Europe really. Found themselves, falling into a decent position by chance, a route to qualify in gameweek 6. Gave it half a rattle, weren't really too interest tbh, distraction from domestic priorities had they qualified.

Don't get me wrong, the ambition is to be Europe's greatest again, but it will take time. And they will get there. Milan are the true powerhouse of European football, and they've started the path to getting back there. But it will take time and domestic consistency. Unlike Juve and their Agnelli owners, or Inter and big new money men, Milans financial outlets are reduced and frozen due to political implications still pending. Not enough people are aware of this.

Make no mistake, Milan are Europe's biggest team, and they will be back

I'll have what he's drinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't a his the same person who tried claiming Ronaldo isn't good at some point?

As I said before and during the current season, Ajax are the team to beat. None of the top guns have ever really faced total football, or know how to deal with it.

Everyone should be backing them each way at the very least. Average enough players, playing the system with no weakness. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, but I don't think any team is capable of matching it.

How City play for example, is a poor man's extraction of how Barca played. This seems to be the blueprint for modern offensive football.

Thing is, Cruyff always held a trick or two back from Barca and their youth development, so as to never match Ajax, said as much himself before he died really.

So as all offensive teams play a variation of this offensive game, it's developed from a poor man's version of how Ajax play. The strings of variation that Ajax have to their bow, despite weaker players than the top teams objectively, is unmatched.

The total footballers are coming imo!

Well, first off, when do you consider the 'modern era' started?

And why indeed feel the need to split football into different periods when trying to quantify how good a football teams legacy is? Is it because people want to exclude Madrids 5 in a row at the start? Had Milan won the 1st 5 European cups, would the entire history of the competiton be split up into eras at all?

Madrid won all their European titles in 3 patches really, long periods where they weren't regular contenders. Milan won 7 with a good spread through-out decades, consistently there or there abouts, year in year out, well until the last decade.

They were Europe's most prominent team consistently for decades. Madrid won a few cheap European titles at the start of the European cups introduction and recently I'd argue. Milan won 7, each time with real battles and competition

Fair enough, thats your opinion, but you can't say Madrid won their titles easily.

And winning them in succession is so hard to do in the modern game, I think it makes their achievement perhaps even better.

But I'm not trying to diss Milan, far from it. I love them as a club, and remember their purple period fondly, watching the 3 Dutchman in their pomp.

I just don't think you can say a team that won 3 European cups in the modern age as you call it, can be considered better than a team that won 6 in the same period.

Well that's complete nonsenelse but as what other have said, I'll have what you're drinking.

You do know that those cheap European titles were won beating Milan on the final once, and semi final another time. And it was a Milan team who struggled passed a post Munich decimated man utd.

They were dumped out of it by real in 63/64 too.

Real have had 3 periods of general dominance. Milan have had 1, maybe 1 and a half.

Real have a better head to head record and 2 uefa cups to ad as well.

Now I hate real Madrid, and Milan have long been by other team, but youre wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well clearly Milan just weren't trying those times Madrid beat them. Just like this year.

Madrid won European cups in its infancy, the context of the day was most others weren't interested.

They won 4 recently, yet over the same period you'd argue Barca at their best would beat them. First of their 4 European cups, beat Wolfsburg and Schalke en route

When they won the second of those 4 European cups, they robbed Bayern blind. They were an average team who amounted to more than they were worth

You're talking absolute shite. They won it in its infancy? Yes beating Milan twice enroute.

Juve should've been allowed retake any missed penalty on 03 because of Didas blatant cheating. So let's say they were robbed too then.

We can all do this. Milan beat the giants Helsinki, vitosha and Mechelen in 89/90.

You're saying teams status as they are now is what they were back then, but they're not.

In 94 they scraped through their group with 4 draws just doig enough.

The simple fact is they beat better teams than then though.

Again, I'm a big fan of Milan, but you're talking complete scutter

Do you think the recent Madrid team were better than Barca on their day?

Milan didn't have a purple period, their teams blended and transitioned over at least 4 generations, if not more.

No team had that aura and reputation that Milan had for decades. We're quick to forget these days, everything now is the greatest.

Milan were a dominant European presence for decades, consistently. No other team can really say that.

Times change and Milan have fallen. But let's not underplay how dominant they were for decades.

Anyone who knows their football, knows Milan are Europe's kings. Football royalty

You're obviously a fan...so not much point arguing over it.

Don't support Milan, respect them. Simply no team at their level for decades in Europe til they fell circa 08/09, always there or thereabouts

• Advertisement

I have utmost respect for them too, as I mentioned earlier.

Some of my fondest memories are watching Baresi, Maldini, Ancelloti, Van Hasten et al. It was football of an era I miss so much these days.

But they weren't the only team that was there or thereabouts for the last 3 decades or more. Forgetting about Madrid, you had Barca as you mentioned but maybe not consistently at the real top level, but perhaps Bayern could be considered a team to rival Milan too? There hasn't been a Bayern team I haven't enjoyed watching over the last 30 years either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it's reasonable to put a small question mark against the first couple of European Cups.

Initially ran by L'Equipe magazine with just 16 teams participating, and the teams selected by journalists on a basis that included 'team prestige' as a metric. That's not good.

Some top clubs turning down the invites (entire FA's in the case of England) which isn't the fault of the teams who did take part but still meant the tournament wasn't quite what it could have been.

Year 3 when everyone accepted it was here to stay and proper qualification rules started to be put in place was probably the first proper competition. But UEFA have long accepted that those early editions do count, and in truth Real may well have won anyway.

They were a European irrelevance in the 70s and 80s though until 89. They only won a single league title from 69-88 too and a cup winners cup. So you're quite off there.

Real have won or been in a final in every decade except the 70s in which they got into a semi (better than Milan managed in that time). Early 90s was the only time they were a European irrelevance where as Milan have now had over 10 years and a previous 20 years of nothing.

Bayern have as much a claim as Milan to be honest

Real had 2 uefa cups too in the 80s. (Milan have 2 cup winners)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,212 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is it true that the away goal rule is not being implemented in the knockouts this season?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yes, it wasn't used during the qualifying stage either.

Massive loss imo from an entertainment perspective.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Benfica vs Madrid. Not a bad draw for Ancelotti.

Villarreal vs Man City. Emery against Pep.

Atletico vs Bayern. Don't think either side will be crazy about that.

Salzburg vs Liverpool. Handy draw for Klopp.

Inter vs Ajax. Looks a good tie.

Sporting vs Juve. Another Portuguese side for Juve to deal with.

Chelsea vs Lille. Tuchel will be pleased with that.

PSG vs Man United. Tie of the round. Messi vs Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Big mistake there lol

VILLARREAL vs MAN CITY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why the hell did they put United in the pot is they could not play villreal

BENFICA vs REAL MADRID

VILLARREAL vs MAN CITY

ATLETICO MADRID vs BAYERN MUNICH

Man Utd have been thrown in a bucket on the side !!

BENFICA vs REAL MADRID

VILLARREAL vs MAN CITY

ATLETICO MADRID vs BAYERN MUNICH

SALZBURG vs LIVERPOOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RBS vs liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Arshavin still looks like he is a teenager wearing his confirmation suit

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Liverpool v Salzburg

Happy days