Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Liverpool and Real will be raging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Man United got an easier draw. Chelsea got the same handy draw. Liverpool got a far tougher draw. And City got a much easier draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

First time round we had Man City as 11/4 favourites, with Liverpool and Bayern both 7/2. PSG and Chelsea are both 13/2 and then its 12/1 and better the rest all the way to 250/1 shots RB Salzburg. There are some tasty ties in there.

Price changes have occurred: City the same but Bayern in to 3/1 while Liverpool out to 6/1. No change for Chelsea (only unchanged tie, duh!) while PSG drifted to 15/2 and Real Madrid went from 12/1 to 20/1! PSG and Real Madrid both punished there, while Atletico must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I think Man Utd draw is much harder. Liverpool's is slightly tougher but would expect them to go through. City were going through anyway really.

No complaints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Utd got a slightly easier draw but Atletico and PSG were both the teams to avoid.

City and Chelsea both got the best draws possible.

Liverpool will be happy with their draw too.

Liverpool's draw is more than slightly tougher. They went from the easiest opponents, Salzburg, to Serie A champions and top of the table again this season, Inter Milan.

Atletico Madrid are poor, they were lucky in some of their matches as well, like beating AC Milan deep into injury time with a Suarez penalty. United are definitely happier with this.

And City weren't guaranteed to go through against Villarreal, who aren't a bad side, they need better finishing though. City are going through now though.

Real and PSG are the ones raging. Delighted they drew each other.

Everyone else is probably happy enough with their draw.

Once PSG was avoided I'm sure most of the top seeds didn't care too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think the Liverpool management team will be happier with the second draw. Salzburg are a young energetic side that will press for 90 minutes. Inter Milan are sloth like by comparison. Barella is suspended for the first leg so they will be missing the energy he provides in midfield.

Inter are the top team in Italy but there are only 3 points separating them from AC Milan and Atalanta. The Liverpool second string accounted for AC Milan easily enough in the last game and Man Utd were in disarray yet they were too strong for Atalanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I reckon Liverpool would have absolutely crucified Salzburg because they like to press,

Inter is a far far tougher game,

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wouldn't say Liverpool got a far tougher draw at all. Atletico have plenty of injuries too at the moment and should improve, and were robbed in the first pool game (though we're still rubbish)

I don't think any of the Italian teams are going deep in the competition. Salzburg would've been better prepped for Liverpool's press

As much as I dislike Real Madrid, they've got a right to be upset with the redraw. They had Benfica in the original draw, now they face PSG. The reason they could have grounds is that their tie was unaffected in the original draw, they were the first 2 teams drawn out. It was after Villarreal were drawn that the mistakes occured. And yet, UEFA scrapped the whole draw and started from scratch, whereas they could have gone back to the point the first mistake happened. I don't know if Real can or will take legal action. Probably wouldn't succeed as people have already started travel arrangements.

I fancy Real to go through against PSG and I think they're overpriced at 20/1 to go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

They've contrasting styles and pose different challenges. Games against Salzburg would likely be exciting end to end affairs, they won't give up if they're 4-0 down in the 90th minute. Inter are more controlled with 10/11 men behind the ball when not in possession. Prior to this season, Klopp's team struggled against the teams that were tough to break down. I'd like to think that they know how to unlock such sides now as evidenced in the away game against Atletico.

At the February/March stage of the season, the cerebral challenge of unlocking Inter is more preferable to the physical challenges of 90 mile an hour games against Salzburg. I haven't checked the fixture list but I think that the away game will fall around the time of the away game against Burnley and those are the types of fixtures the team are likely to struggle with if the players are drained after a physically exhausting midweek game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

whats the story with extra time in the 2nd leg this season, or straight to penos?

i would hope straight to penos so one team doesnt have an extra 30 mins playing at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's not just this time it's almost every time in all cup competitions. It's actually remarkably good luck or.....

UEFA Champions League Round of 16

1st Legs

Tuesday 15th February

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Sporting Club De Portugal (POR) V Manchester City (ENG)

Wednesday 16th February

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Liverpool FC (ENG)

FC Salzburg (AUT) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Tuesday 22nd February

Chelsea FC (ENG) V LOSC Lille (FRA)

Villarreal CF (ESP) V Juventus (ITA)

Wednesday 23rd February

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Manchester United FC (ENG)

SL Benfica (POR) V AFC Ajax (NED)

2nd Legs

Tuesday 8th March

FC Bayern München (GER) V FC Salzburg (AUT)

Liverpool FC (ENG) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

Wednesday 9th March

Manchester City (ENG) V Sporting Club De Portugal (POR)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Tuesday 15th March

AFC Ajax (NED) V SL Benfica (POR)

Manchester United FC (ENG) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Wednesday 16th March

Juventus (ITA) V Villarreal CF (ESP)

LOSC Lille (FRA) V Chelsea FC (ENG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The French have just banned anyone not vaccinated from stadiums and this includes players "with no exceptions" as they just told Djokovic.

Could be a problem for Chelsea if its still in place over the next few months

UEFA Champions League Round of 16

1st Legs week one.

Tuesday 15th February

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 3 / RTE Two

Sporting Club De Portugal (POR) V Manchester City (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2

Wednesday 16th February

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Liverpool FC (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

FC Salzburg (AUT) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The final this year is in st Petersburg I see. I wonder will that hold up

RTE picking the heavyweight clash instead of the English side in a straightforward game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Why, because of the 'crisis' in Ukraine? It's a long way from St Petersburg to Ukraine, nearly 2000 kms - Russia is big caller.

well I’d see it differently and I’m not sure why crisis is apostrophized. Russia is now a rogue nation. Not really Russia’s fault. It’s all Putin. If they keep Russia as the venue for a final while Ukrainians are being rounded into refugee…or prisoner camps …well it seems unlikely.

I'm gonna be cynical and assume it's because it's City and not one of the traditional Irish fan bases but delighted either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They're holding a world cup in Qatar, the men in charge don't care as long as they get their cut.

well firstly thats FIFA not UEFA and Qatar aren’t invading anyone. They are guilty of human rights abuses. So was Russia when it hosted 2018.

actively invading another European sovereign nation of 44 million people with a democratically elected government is a very different box of cheese.

They already invaded the Ukraine a few years back in the Donbass and Crimea and UEFA done nothing.

The only outcome is Shakhtar Donetsk haven't played a home game in 8 years.

Wasn’t that the old Russian nationalists within the region :) or at least that’s what was claimed, it was a reasonably quick annexation with a low body county. an outright invasion of the entire country is very very different. It’s rubbing up against WWIII.

Well yes it was "Russian nationalists" but it was an annexation of land all the same.

i'm interested to know why you'd imagine the final in St Petersburg would be in doubt at the moment though. There are no Ukranians currently being rounded up into prisoner camps AFAIK, and while there is posturing on both sides of the Ukraine/Russia border, that's all it is at the moment.

If you're arguing UEFA will pull it for moral reasons, well then i think you'll be disappointed. European football is awash with corrupt money and money from different despotic regimes, so don't hold your breath. I mean, the Euros last year were hosted in the main by the Azeris and Boris Johnson's London, and the UEFA top dogs were happy to rub shoulders with the great and good there, so don't hold your breath.

if there is an outbreak in Ukraine, as i said it's almost 2000km from St Petersburg, so i don't see it having a direct impact, unless any conflict really explodes and spreads to w wider area, which is a long, long way off at the moment. the only way it could possibly be pulled would be if there are wider economic sanctions placed on Russia, which is a remote possibility I suppose, but its a very remote one at present, and unlikely to happen before May.

• Advertisement

its nothing to do with the geographic position of St. Petersburg. If it remains at “posturing” and there’s no invasion then it will go ahead in St P most likely. If there’s a Russian invasion of ukraine then Russia will become a pariah state internationally (sanctions etc) and one of those sanctions is likely to be no CL final on Russian territory. The public pressure on UEFA to do this would be, and it’s hard to find the appropriate adverb, extremely intense.

im not buying your talk of Azerbaijans and god knows what Boris’ Britain has to do with anything. Azerbaijan were involved with a border conflict over disputed territory with Armenia. It wasn’t one country trying to take over another as the Russian offensive in Ukraine looks like.

Look it, in terms of common ground you probably agree that the final won’t take place in St P if there’s a large Russian offensive in Ukraine. You just see that possibility as remote. I don’t see it as remote. I see it as a definite possibility

CA forum will have it's next Novac hero.

I just think talk of the game being moved at this point is nonsensical at the moment, premature at best, and a lot of chips have to fall a certain way for it to become even a talking point. Certainly, given UEFA's record of dealing with regimes that have poor human right records or dodgy business links they won't be moving it on moral grounds.

Anyway, thankfully we're back to games this coming week.

• Advertisement

I think it’s early to be talking about it but i think we’ll be hearing plenty about it over the coming month(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Team news:

PSG XI: Donnarumma; Hakimi, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Mendes; Danilo, Paredes, Verratti; Di Maria, Messi, Mbappe.

Real Madrid XI: Courtois; Carvajal, Militao, Alaba, Mendy; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Asensio, Benzema, Vinicius Jr.

Pleased Benzema was passed fit. Some serious star power on show in this one. Keen to see how Vini Jr does against Hakimi. I remember in the Leipzig game, Angelino got in behind so many times. If that happens here, I can see Madrid making them pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This really is mouth watering tonight.

Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

RTE commentary was taken over by the Germans there for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For a second I thought Houghton was fluent in it that I didn't know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Cracking strike from Bernardo. Excellent start. Now don't get careless or casual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Casemiro was lucky not to get a red for grabbing Varetti around the throat there a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

City finding it tough

Enjoyable half. PSG on top but Militao and Alaba have defended well. Verratti impressive but has to watch himself now with the booking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement