Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Rio Ferdinand seems to think Savic is jealous of Jack Grealish. Ferdinand has to be, pound for pound, the most foolish "analyst" out there. He's absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

By your metric city should've been out

Only one team wanted to win tonight and that was Athletico.

Pep wanted the 0-0, his lineup made that very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sky reporting Grealish in an altercation with Savic in the tunnel, lad loves the attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Why couldn’t they score in 180 minutes if so excellent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully Savic got the best of the altercation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They celebrated like a team that scrapped through a very tight game which is fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

BT Sports making a big deal of this...More than handbags but still.....

Well for once I would say fair play to Pep. 0-0 is all he needed.

But you are right in regards to the other poster

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lots of lame excuses for city players being arseholes. City good, Atletico bad. Got it.

Failed to mention a city player grabs and pushes savic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Atletico were the same cynical shithouses as always. The hyperbole from BT was ridiculous. I don't condone Savic's antics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think that City, as dirty as they undoubtedly are, are every bit as cynical as Athletico. Athletico give it that little bit extra, come on now.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for them feeling hard done by. You live by the sword etc... Even though thought that looked like a potential penalty for them in the final passage of play when Ake bundled one of their players over in the box.

I said for large parts of that match.there was nothing wrong with that statement plenty of times outplay opponents and come away with nothing

Atletico a clear peno denied, and on seeing it again, Ake did just knock a player over in the last seconds of the game.

Ederson wasted a minute claiming he'd been hit when there was nothing of the sort. Sterling dived again. Rodri was lucky to be on the pitch. The city bench kicked a second ball on the pitch at one point too for their throw in. But none of that's disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Great to see football win and Athletico lose.

I think they are, just in a more subtle way. There's a reason why the tend to outfoul opponents despite dominating possession. That's cynicism to a tee.

Subtlety was out the window over the 2 legs though as they more than gave as good as they got.

I get you need it to win, but they get away with it, and it needs to be seriously addressed. I don't care how pretty theor play is, the routinely take players out with what are no more than professional fouls.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

What's embarrassing is you crying over city players all game. Cleary a Liverpool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Their xG at ht was .02, their xG in the first leg was 0.00. They went for it in the last 10 mins. Excellent for large parts is not something I witnessed. City just did to atletico what atletico have done for years. City kept calm. Good riddance atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Watching virgin.

Kerr 1 v 0 Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You must be new here if you think Weepsie is a Liverpool fan 🤣

Athletico getting Athletico'd. Pretty funny tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No, I'm with Brian Kerr - a team of gougers , city on the hand play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Foden really injured..... but whats to roll 14 times to get back on the pitch, that sparked it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What is the point of Damien Delaney, such a spoofer.

• Advertisement

I've a begrudging admiration for Liverpool. I found Mancini and Pellegrinis city teams rather entertaining. They had their flaws.

I fully know that city when they have the ball can be and normally are an engrossing watch.

I have a problem with the narrative that Peps teams are nothing but amazing footballers (which they are)

I remember Wenger's great team of 98-2003. They could kick the shite out of teams too though, and they were harangued for it. Bad Frenchman ,bringing the English game into disrepute. I've complained about some of my own teams players at it too. Bad tackles happen..fouls happen. It's the tactical implementation of it from the get go married to the absolute pretence of bringing nothing but pure football of it that bugs me. Own it and be rightfully called out on

Post edited by Weepsie on

Ake on Correa at the death was also a penalty, but Ref blew up, and things went wild, and VAR hadn't he nerve to say to Ref, there is a penalty review, tell City to stop dancing like drunk Uncles at weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Some reaction by the Atleti fans at the end, and for ages after the game had ended. Huge reaction to their players in spite of them being knocked out.... Interesting to contrast their bond with their team and this competition with the City fans in the (so called Emptyhad) Etihad .... Will City ever build a bond like this, even with all of their on field success? They are constantly painted as the villains, and they play up to that rep a bit, but there were 2 teams acting up tonight, plenty of cynicism from both teams. Give a dog a bad name and all that, their rep worked against them tonight really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

City winning is not football winning. There was no winner tonight.

Two horrible clubs, one on the field the other off of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is that the City team that many last night were saying would destroy Real Madrid ?

They looked very ordinary tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I know Simeone has brought them great success with his style since taking the job but it must be frustrating at times to be an Atletico fan. When they took the handbrake off second half they played some great stuff and outplayed City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Pre game and post game I think people underestimate the challenge of what Man City had to do last night. It's a big Champions League night away from home against one of the best teams in the competition for the last 10 years now basically. Man City were not good with the ball in the 2nd half, they struggled to control the game, they resorted to long goal kicks, brought on Fernandinho ect. And Atletico had the big finish that Simeone promised after the 1st leg. But what Man City did have was heart and toughness. Atletico wanted emotions to boil over, they wanted to make it about more than just "football" because, in that sphere, they'd lose 9/10 against this Man City team. And in the past I do think this might have worked against Man City, having not found a 2nd goal in the first half when they should have, the occasion might have become too much, the aggression from the opponents could have led to the reaction Atletico were looking for. But it never came, City slowed the play down, took their time over set plays, but never erupted in the way Atletico wanted. They play right up to the line, and the danger doing that is that you'll overstep it and in the end they did. This is how pretty much every Atletico defeat in the Champions League looks.

Big credit to Phil Foden too. 21 years old in a hostile environment and targeted from the very beginning, with that Felipe barge to the back of the head incredibly dangerous play and kicked throughout, he kept his cool throughout and, literally got the last laugh on Simeone.

I think we're going to the Champions League final.

For a club that was relegated and had to endure the Gil years winning 2 leagues is a miracle. I don't think frustrated is something you are ever gonna hear from Atleti fans about Someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Foden knew exactly what he was doing there at the end. He wanted to time waste, so purposely did 6 or 7 rolls back onto the pitch so that the game would have to be stopped. This angered Atletico and kicked it all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Foden should be suspended and fined for rolling back on the pitch. City would no doubt successfully appeal it but it would send a message it was ludicrous thing to do.

It was ridiculous by Foden, but as it was against the kings of shithousery it was hilarious. If they were in the same boat they'd do double the amount of rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Real Madrid are going to have to tap into their dark side to have any chance against City in the semis, they out Athletico'd Simeone's side and I can't lie, part of me enjoyed that.

Never will Real Madrid miss Sergio Ramos more than they will against City. I bet he was watching that at home last night with a tear in his eye, his perfect game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nice to see the trolls being out-trolled once in a while - there's not one of the Athletico that wouldn't have done the same had it been the other way around.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How good is Tsimakas

Another wonderful performance and none of the goals came form his side,

Must be the best back up full back in the world , he is a super player ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Final 1st Legs

Tuesday April 26th

Manchester City (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2

Wednesday April 27th

Liverpool FC (ENG) V Villarreal CF (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It will be interesting to see the Man City line up tonight with the talk of their injuries in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams:

Man City XI: Ederson; Stones, Dias, Laporte, Zinchenko; De Bruyne, Rodri, Silva; Mahrez, Jesus, Foden.

Real Madrid XI: Courtois; Carvajal, Militao, Alaba, Mendy; Valverde, Modric, Kroos; Rodrygo, Benzema, Vini Jr.

Casemiro only fit for the bench which I think is a big blow. Likewise, Walker not there for City to deal with the pace of Vinicius Jr. If it's Stones in the role, he'll have a tall order keeping him quiet all evening.

Hope Madrid advance but I think they'll lose the first leg. I'll go 2-1 City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this 33 man immortal squad from the CL era should be interesting. lots of world class players will be left out. most likely dominated by 7 clubs. in the 30 comps since 92, real have won it 7 times, barce 5, 3x: ac, bayern, 2x: liverpool, utd and chelsea.

lets hope benzema retains his run of CL hattricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

City fans boo'ing the champions league anthem is always just the dumbest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some start for City.

1 min in and KBD scores

some run and some ball in

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement