Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Not ideal going to Madrid with a 1 goal lead, but the upside is that Cancelo being back should provide a big boost to how City deal with the 1 vs 1 defending, if Walker is back in time that only further strengthens that part of their game.

Cracking game though. We're coming to the crunch now and this City team are so very close to history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Where was the £100 million pound man Jack Grealish last night, is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pep was a nervous wreck on the sideline again last night, his negative energy is transferring to the players.

The pressure of trying to win another Champions league seems to be getting the better of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's gotten the better of him every time since he left Barca.

Personally I'de love to see another tactical implosion from Pep next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He was on the bench. You could see him celebrating with Foden after his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’ll either get it 100% right, or spectacularly wrong in the second leg next week.

Theres absolutely no in-between with him in big games.

True he has to do that little tinker that makes him look the genius but equally can go terribly wrong.

Over 10 years since he got it right in the CL now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Hamann probably stained by his association with Dunphy and giles and their no longer credible analysis.

sadlier stained by being unable to provide credible insight and only capable of answering a question with a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, that's kinda sport isn't it. Managers are paid to make the big decisions.

Pep picks about 60 odd line ups a season and gets about 50 of them spot on, give or take. He doesn't really get the big credit for when it goes right, but does get the criticism when it goes wrong.

There are some big examples of getting things wrong alright like that Lyon game. But then there is the times he beat PSG & Real Madrid home & away by picking the right set up, and making brave calls in those games too. A rare example of the double false 9 formation etc.

I think a lot of it stems from the 2 seasons in row of being knocked out of the CL by English clubs and the big calls he made in those games didn't come off - not starting KDB against Spurs while playing a regular starting 11 and picking a mad formation against Liverpool with 3 CBs & 4 CMs the week after he went with one FB and Gundogan at RW.

He certainly has balls, and is brave enough to try these things. Some work, some don't. And in some of those games where he doesn't try the big madness, they might still have lost with a 'regular' formation. But we'll never know really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

On Pep - I think the way that he has nurtured Foden is being repaid in spades. I presume he had the same plan in mind for Cole Palmer, looked like, until, he got injured.

Onto tonight, I'd say we'll be lucky to get 7 goals from the two ties between Liverpool and Villarreal. Klopp hasn't had to nurture Diaz, who has slotted in brilliantly, to give him another selection headache for his top 3. I expect them to go all out for Villareal, but they will be coming up against a quality and controlled defence, a bit like Atletico, without the naked cynicism.

Really looking forward to it.

Doesn't get the credit me arsse. He is the most lauded and talked about manager in football and gets way too much credit in my opinion.

Most of those mistakes he made were because he had the best richest squad in the game and instead of just playing them he felt the need to mess about to try look smart. It's not like a manager who had to risk something nuts against a superior side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Best coach coaches at the best clubs shocker.

"trying to look smart" because that's surely the justification for any lineup Guardiola picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

City have had the chances to kill off Liverpool (in the EPL) and now Madrid in the CL, and so far anyway filed to do both.

There will be a lot of navel gazing if they come out of the season empty-handed.

I'm actually terrified of this game now tonight. Absolutely hate when the first leg is at home. I think we can take anyone over 2 legs when tie is alive coming back to Anfield.

We've only ever played Villarreal once before in history, and it was also a European semi-final under Klopp. They were very good against us in the first leg (in Spain) and deserved their win which was partially down to their atmosphere that night. We're a different team this season and should have enough but there's a romanticism about what they're doing this year and as someone said on a podcast they're a bit like Liverpool in the 2005 run to the final beating Juventus as well as we did that year and knocking out Bayern when we beat a Leverkusen side that were brilliant back then.

Everybody who's not a Liverpool fan is rooting for them to go through, it would be a great story. We just need to keep the focus and momentum and take a lead to their place.

I do genuinely think he over complicates tactics to make it all about him if they win.

Im not exactly sure what he has done since Barca to make him the "best coach". Bayern done better before and after him, He has done well at City but not any better than expected really and at both clubs its obvious that the real goal is the CL where he so far has failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams:

Liverpool XI: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago; Salah, Mane, Diaz.

Villarreal XI: Rulli; Foyth, Albiol, Torres, Estupinan; Chukwueze, Capoue, Parejo, Coquelin; Lo Celso, Danjuma.

Danjuma against the high line looks to be Villarreal's best hope. TAA looked very dodgy against Gordon, and Danjuma has been one of La Liga's best players this season. Chukwueze has plenty of pace too. Just not sure Villarreal's defence can hold up their end. If you offered Emery a 1 goal deficit, I reckon he'd take it. If it's any more than that, I think they're screwed.

I'll say 3-1 Liverpool.

Will Villarreal park the bus and hope to bring it home level/one down or are they not that kind of team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's smart by Villarreal if they do park the bus. Try and get the 0-0, or better, and turn the tie into a 90 min game in front of their own fans.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I have paid very little attention to them since back in the Senna days so I have no idea what to expect from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Interesting game. Emery is an absolute master of discipline and he has this team extremely well drilled. If they can keep Liverpool out til the 70th minute you could see the crowd getting a bit twitchy which can effect the players. Still fancy Liverpool to go through over the two legs, they've some serious quality and have the experience behind them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Diaz throwing himself to the ground looking for a free. He's settled right into Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

But don't you know that Anthony Gordon is the only player affiliated to a Liverpool-based club that has ever dived?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A champions league semi final on, and this is what yee have to talk about?... jeysus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Very quiet on the fact there's a Villareal player on the ground every 30 seconds.

Gutsy first half showing from Villarreal without offering much in attack. They haven't been able to get much service to Danjuma, but the defence and midfield have been switched on so far. Still a long way to go. Been impressed with the ref as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After last night's manic entertainment, this really isn't a great watch.

It's basically just watching to see if Liverpool can score or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Lucky deflection on the goal, but you can't say Liverpool don't deserve to be ahead.

• Advertisement

Hope that won't go down as a Rulli O.G. I've got him in my fantasy team.

Will be interesting to see how Villarreal respond to this.

...not well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

2 up and cruising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Co commentator on virgin is very annoying with the cheering for Liverpool constantly.

That second was lovely. Nothing lucky about that. Terrific pass forward and finish by Mane.

I don't know. That's a hand around the throat of Salah. Regardless of whether he went down too easy.

There was a much much better game going on in Bologna tonight Ned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Villarreal gasping for breath here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Gerry Armstrong needs to brush up on his grammar. It's "could have gone" Gerry, not "went"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Final 1st Leg Results

Manchester City (ENG) 4 V 3 Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Liverpool FC (ENG) 2 V 0 Villarreal CF (ESP)

Semi-Final 2nd Legs

Tuesday 3rd May

Villarreal CF (ESP) V Liverpool FC (ENG) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2

Wednesday 4th May

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City (ENG) (Agg 3-4) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

That game shows why I don’t like the big guns being knocked out flukily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Villarreal are there on merit. They had to beat the teams put in front of them and they did exactly that.

• Advertisement

3 CL semi final games at Anfield for Klopp and 1 EL semi final

Combined score: 14-2

Was respectable from Villarreal but 2-0 looks very tough to come back from. The first goal was a hammer blow as they needed a bit of luck to go their way. They'll need an early goal in Spain to make it interesting, which might happen, but I just can't see them keeping Liverpool's forwards quiet all night.

there are so many levels in football and Villarreal were so so desperately out of their depth tonight. A brilliant achievement by them to get to this stage.

Villarreal have as much Champions League history as City do and earned their place just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

That’s what you get when you let the non Champions into the “Champions” league - it’s the nature of knockout competitions - the best team doesn’t always win. Chelsea x 2012 and 2021, Liverpool 2005, Utd 1999, 2008, Porto 2004 etc. The champions league only gets exciting from the 2nd legs of the quarter finals - the preceding games are all filler - every one of them and unfortunately (bar Liverpool fans) we had a bit of dross tonight. Having said that the second leg will be exciting regardless.

Nothing to do with it. Neither team were champions tonight. There was just a massive gulf.

Of course tonight's game looked poor for neutrals compared to last night's. Last night's game had 2 attacking teams going for it, in a helter skelter type game. Tonight had attack v defence which is more tedious and a waiting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Just like the last time Liverpool met Spurs in the Champions League, 2-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

plus the result will have disappointed a lot of the neutrals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Still think Liverpool will get through it but that 2nd leg will be tricky. Estadio de la Cerámica is a mad stadium for atmosphere, a early goal for them and that place will go mental. Moreno will be back for them too....their main problem will be trying to stop Liverpool scoring however!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement