Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 520 navigation

Options
  • 07-06-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I'm contemplating taking the train to Galway one of these days and cycling back to Maynooth. I have a Garmin 520 (not the +) but have never used it from a navigation perspective. I'll upload a local test route and see how it goes, but just wondering how others have found it? I don't fancy adding on extra kms getting lost or taking a wrong turn.

Also if anyone has a Galway-Maynooth/Galway-Dublin route already mapped that I could upload, you'd make a lazy man very happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It works but not all roads are on the pre-installed Garmin basemap. I installed better maps from here. Instructions for installing can be found here.

You'll need to plot the route on Garmin Connect then sync it to your 520. Set things like a realistic average speed to get data like ETA. I used to set up a separate page on the 520 for navigation data like ETA, distance to go, time behind target ETA, etc.

I've a route from Corofin in Clare to Dublin. I passed through Portumna so maybe you could pick it up from there....? PM me if you want it.

EDIT: For a spin of that distance, be sure to bring an external power source to recharge your Garmin. My 520 was around 5 years old with regular use and I needed to recharge it twice over that sort of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

crosstownk wrote: »
    It works but not all roads are on the pre-installed Garmin basemap. I installed better maps from here. Instructions for installing can be found here.

You'll need to plot the route on Garmin Connect then sync it to your 520. Set things like a realistic average speed to get data like ETA. I used to set up a separate page on the 520 for navigation data like ETA, distance to go, time behind target ETA, etc.

I've a route from Corofin in Clare to Dublin. I passed through Portumna so maybe you could pick it up from there....? PM me if you want it.

EDIT: For a spin of that distance, be sure to bring an external power source to recharge your Garmin. My 520 was around 5 years old with regular use and I needed to recharge it twice over that sort of distance.

That is really helpful - thank you

Advertisement