Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burial/death records on rootsireland

Options
  • 08-06-2021 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I know civil registration of deaths didn't start until 1864. There are earlier records on rootsireland under the category death/burial. Many seem to be Church of Ireland.

Are these truly death records or are they burial/funeral records kept by churches or are they transcribed from headstones? ... or a mixture of those?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some are from parish records. Not every parish kept records of burials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

What is confusing is that on rootsireland there is a field for Date of Death, but none for Date of Burial... so it's not clear whether they are death or burial records. I suppose in those days burial would be within a day or two of death in any case.

The heading on the records is Burial/Death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's probably how they setup the database and how people filled it in, which wouldn't be uniform.

Burial would have taken place quickly. Most software allows you to record burial date separately, then for the death I just put month/year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement