Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silicone or Acrylic Render ?

• 08-06-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hopefully this is the right forum. We're getting ready to do an extension next year and also to insulate the house and are planning on doing external wrap with render, now here's the question (while we wait for prices), what are peoples thoughts on using Acrylic versus Silicone render ?

The logic seems to be that Acrylic is sufficient for the 'normal' domestic house (which ours would be), however, 3 houses in our estate have done it over the last 5 years and already they are looked quite 'tired', one I spoke to has taken a power hose to it with little effect. Some say you can paint it but my bit of googling suggests that its very easy to damage it as in when you would put a ladder against it. So thats when we came across Silicone render and wonder what people's thoughts are ?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm not familiar with silicone render, but my other experience with silicone suggests you will never be able to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Last thing you want to do with acrylic render is take a power hose to it. (perhaps that's a mistake ppl have made in your estate)
    I've had it done about 3 years now and it still looks in good nick.
    Had an issue where a guy (i had in doing some work in the front garden) power hosed a section of the front wall of the house (thinking he was doing me a favor) and it stripped the colour off. Tired is how i would have described the look.
    I was getting the boundary walls done recently and got the guy to go over the damaged bit.

ps: ive no experience of silicone render so cant help with the comparisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with silicone render, but my other experience with silicone suggests you will never be able to paint it.
    Thanks a million, interesting point ! must check that

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Last thing you want to do with acrylic render is take a power hose to it. (perhaps that's a mistake ppl have made in your estate)
    I've had it done about 3 years now and it still looks in good nick.
    Had an issue where a guy (i had in doing some work in the front garden) power hosed a section of the front wall of the house (thinking he was doing me a favor) and it stripped the colour off. Tired is how i would have described the look.
    I was getting the boundary walls done recently and got the guy to go over the damaged bit.

ps: ive no experience of silicone render so cant help with the comparisson.
    The guy who had power hosed his acrylic render with little effect, thinks that a mild solution of bleach in the power hose is the next step yikes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some good cleaning advice here:
    https://ewistore.co.uk/how-do-i-look-after-my-render-finish/

Based on this (and no real world experience) silicone seems like a better fit to our climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Did you get any quotes on this? I'm looking at getting a spray render on two block boundary walls in the back garden of a new build in Castleknock. It's probably 50 sq metres in total.

Nope, not yet ! initial plan went to QS and way way over budget for the extension, so we're back to the drawing board, we'll probably have another go with QS in a month or so.

Advertisement