Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from a HAP inspector report?

Options
  • 08-06-2021 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

So my tenant has informed me that a HAP inspection is to be carried out in a house that I'm renting out next week.
    I'm a bit worried about the outcome of the inspection because of the costs involved. I know that a letter is issued to the landlord after an inspection has taken place by the council if there are repairs needed to be carried out.

From reading online it seems that I will have to install child locks on the windows which is a bit of a pain. However there are no windows in the bathroom but there is ventilation - I'm wondering would this be an issue?
    I'm just wondering what are the most important things to worry about regarding the inspector's report?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do not worry about it, once the house is in a good state and any legal requirements for renting are met. Then it is only little things like in my case the extractor fan needed new filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icarus_67

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do not worry about it, once the house is in a good state and any legal requirements for renting are met. Then it is only little things like in my case the extractor fan needed new filters.
    Okay thanks cooling me down! It's just that I've heard about people having to "bore a hole" in the walls of the living room etc because of ventilation regulations which made me panic a bit. The regulations seem to be a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Is the property in good decorative order, no broken glass, tiles, cracks etc.

Open fire, may need Carbon monoxide alarm

Proof of servicing of boiler etc. Certification that up to current regs

Window restrictors are the main thing for any window above 1 meter

Ive had a few inspections on different properties...had 1 last week where report say i need to provide a cooker and tumble dryer (it said tenant provided) ...news to me...waiting for my agent to get back to me on that one...im sure it wasnt let without them or some agreement on rent with tenant!

Better off waiting for report.

Is the property in good decorative order, no broken glass, tiles, cracks etc.

Open fire, may need Carbon monoxide alarm

Proof of servicing of boiler etc. Certification that up to current regs

Window restrictors are the main thing for any window above 1 meter

Ive had a few inspections on different properties...had 1 last week where report say i need to provide a cooker and tumble dryer (it said tenant provided) ...news to me...waiting for my agent to get back to me on that one...im sure it wasnt let without them or some agreement on rent with tenant!

Better off waiting for report.
    What do you mean when you say "im sure it wasnt let without them or some agreement on rent with tenant!". I don't understand what that means?

Did they say in the report when you need to fix everything in the property? Did they give you a month to do all of this stuff for example? Or did they specify an exact date and say something along the lines "On September 21st 2021 you must fix all of these issues etc".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

you have to have an electrical report.
    If not up to code the work will have to be done.

If you use Gas report also required.

Child locks on all window above I think 2 meters.

Vents in walls etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

May be one of the few reason why so many landlords don't want to take HAP tenants.

Vents in walls etc etc
    Why do vents need to be in walls? There is a vent in the kitchen over the stove. There are vents in the bathrooms. Do they also need vents in other places? There are windows in all of the rooms that don't have vents.

Vents in walls etc etc
    The place was built about 15 years ago. I hardly need to provide an electrical report? What happens during an electrical report? What does that entail exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

icarus_67 wrote: »
    Why do vents need to be in walls? There is a vent in the kitchen over the stove. There are vents in the bathrooms. Do they also need vents in other places? There are windows in all of the rooms that don't have vents.

Ireland has a very damp climate and historically built houses without adequate ventilation leading to mould and condensation being very common.

If your house was built 15 years ago it may have adequate ventilation. The one I'm living in now was built in the 40s and the mould is rampant, in part because of no vents in the main rooms.

Emma2019 wrote: »
    Ireland has a very damp climate and historically built houses without adequate ventilation leading to mould and condensation being very common.

If your house was built 15 years ago it may have adequate ventilation. The one I'm living in now was built in the 40s and the mould is rampant, in part because of no vents in the main rooms.
    Does the HAP inspector have some sort of discretion when it comes to enforcing the regulations? Like I can understand in your case a home built in the 1940's might need to be subjected to certain regulations etc. But a very modern property that I have certainly doesn't need to be subjected to this kind of nonsense?
    The child locks on the windows is one thing....but the idea of needing to bore a hole into every room for a vent because of some stupid regulation is very silly to me.

• Advertisement

Does the HAP inspector have some sort of discretion when it comes to enforcing the regulations? Like I can understand in your case a home built in the 1940's might need to be subjected to certain regulations etc. But a very modern property that I have certainly doesn't need to be subjected to this kind of nonsense?
    The child locks on the windows is one thing....but the idea of needing to bore a hole into every room for a vent because of some stupid regulation is very silly to me.

It may sound stupid, but if it's regulation it needs to be complied with. If it's modern and meets all the requirements you'll be grand, but if he doesn't than you'll have to get it fixed, usually give 4 weeks (depends on what needs to be done), and failure to carry out the works can see a fine of 5,000. If nothing else comes out of it - you'll probably want to stay away from HAP in future.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It may sound stupid, but if it's regulation it needs to be complied with. If it's modern and meets all the requirements you'll be grand, but if he doesn't than you'll have to get it fixed, usually give 4 weeks (depends on what needs to be done), and failure to carry out the works can see a fine of 5,000. If nothing else comes out of it - you'll probably want to stay away from HAP in future.
    Where does it say that a landlord can be fined 5000 Euros for non compliance?

EDIT: Wait I see it mentioned at the bottom of the regulation PDF document. I still can't imagine that kind of thing being enforced. I've heard of people on Boards that ignored the letter that stipulates improvements that need to be made. A year or more passed and nothing has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

May be one of the few reason why so many landlords don't want to take HAP tenants.

not just hap
    https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/S.I_._137_of_2019_.pdf
    Ventilation
    8. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a
    habitable room shall have adequate ventilation.
    (2)All means of ventilation shall be maintained in good repair and working
    order.
    (3)Adequate ventilation shall be provided for the removal of water vapour
    from every kitchen and bathroom
    i dont beleive there is any exemption for older properties (my own house has 3 ft think stone walls)

did get a prtb communication saying the property needs an upto date electrical cert as well (in the process of sorting even though its not mentioned in there own documentation)

https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/what-minimum-standards-must-a-property-meet

anyone who says all those empty properties should be rented should read through that (doesnt apply if your buying it)

What is an electric certificate though? Is ECTI certificate the same as an electric cert? Do most modern homes have one from the very beginning?

When it says " Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a
    " ...isn't that open for interpretation? What is defined as "ventilation"?

Does that specifically refer to an actual vent? Or does a window count as a source of adequate ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

A house I lived in(renting), had an inspection done by hap before covid fully hit , so around February/march I think of 2020.

Yep they look for vents in all rooms(bathrooms need extraction fans).
    There was one room in the house that didn't have a vent and it would usually get a bit mouldy( I would just treat it and paint it myself) , hap inspector said it needed a vent and I got a vent done and it never became mouldy after that.

Needed an electrical cert( electrician came around a tested all sockets,lights and earthing, it is known as a periodic inspection report), plumber did a full inspection of oil burner/tank and serviced it.

Chimney had to be cleaned.

Child locks upstairs to be fitted( we have 3 young kids, we already had them in there 2 rooms but needed them in the bathroom and our room).

Carbon monoxide alarms to be installed upstairs and in living room aswell as replace smoke alarms. Also fire blanket in kitchen.

Gutters to be cleaned.

Mentioned about windows being serviced but I just checked them and made sure they were ok.

I think that was all that this house needed.

Now this house isn't an ancient house. I think that house was built around 2006.

After getting all this done, they never came back to inspect it, a year later and still nothing ,( I only moved out in may ) I'm not sure if it's due to covid or whatever.

Lol. Ask Hap

When it says " Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a
    " ...isn't that open for interpretation? What is defined as "ventilation"?

Does that specifically refer to an actual vent? Or does a window count as a source of adequate ventilation?

No it doesn't. A vent is to provide ventilation. There needs to be one.

What is an electric certificate though? Is ECTI certificate the same as an electric cert? Do most modern homes have one from the very beginning?

Don't.worry about it. HAP will inspect the property and give you thr list of things to do.

honda boi wrote: »
    A house I lived in(renting), had an inspection done by hap before covid fully hit , so around February/march I think of 2020.

Yep they look for vents in all rooms(bathrooms need extraction fans).
    There was one room in the house that didn't have a vent and it would usually get a bit mouldy( I would just treat it and paint it myself) , hap inspector said it needed a vent and I got a vent done and it never became mouldy after that.

Needed an electrical cert( electrician came around a tested all sockets,lights and earthing, it is known as a periodic inspection report), plumber did a full inspection of oil burner/tank and serviced it.

Chimney had to be cleaned.

Child locks upstairs to be fitted( we have 3 young kids, we already had them in there 2 rooms but needed them in the bathroom and our room).

Carbon monoxide alarms to be installed upstairs and in living room aswell as replace smoke alarms. Also fire blanket in kitchen.

Gutters to be cleaned.

Mentioned about windows being serviced but I just checked them and made sure they were ok.

I think that was all that this house needed.

Now this house isn't an ancient house. I think that house was built around 2006.

After getting all this done, they never came back to inspect it, a year later and still nothing ,( I only moved out in may ) I'm not sure if it's due to covid or whatever.
    Thanks for the very detailed reply.

Can I ask how long did it take for the vent to be installed? Was it a very invasive procedure?

Do you know how much the electric cert cost?

• Advertisement

Don't.worry about it. HAP will inspect the property and give you thr list of things to do.
    Well I'm really worried about the costs involved. Especially the whole vent installation thing. I would need to install 4 vents in order to make sure the property complies with the regulations.

There are huge windows in the living room. I don't understand why I need to spend money on a vent when there are windows that can do the same job? It's overkill and costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Even in a airtight house? With a mechanical system

There are huge windows in the living room. I don't understand why I need to spend money on a vent when there are windows that can do the same job? It's overkill and costly.

Are the windows always open?

Are the windows always open?
    Not always no? The house I'm currently in and the house I grew up in never had vents in each room. It's total overkill.

Normally people would open a window when they need to to let fresh air in. A new vent in each room would cost 250 Euros each approximately. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks for the very detailed reply.

Can I ask how long did it take for the vent to be installed? Was it a very invasive procedure?

Do you know how much the electric cert cost?

No problem.
    The vent I got lucky with because there was a hole already through the concrete of the outside.
    Someone just plastered over where the hole was meant to be inside so I just had to make a hole in the plasterboard and stick a vent over it.
    Before I noticed there was already a hole I was quoted I think €100-150 for the hole to be done. Was told they have equipment that means no mess and it wouldn't take that long.

If I remember correctly the test cost about €250.
    House needed a €100 worth of work done( earth cable needed at sink and shavers in the bathroom needed to be changed and a light cover in the bathroom needed fitted.) A friend of mine does that work in Dublin and said it usually costs alot more money to get a fully Certified cert because there is usually alot of work needed. ( No idea how true this is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Not always no? The house I'm currently in and the house I grew up in never had vents in each room. It's total overkill.

Normally people would open a window when they need to to let fresh air in. A new vent in each room would cost 250 Euros each approximately. It's crazy.

It isn't overkill and any tenant can request an inspection from their local council to ensure their rented property (that they are paying "crazy" money to rent) complies with regulations. HAP means that the council ensures that their tenants are protected, seeing as they are the ones paying for it. Unfortunately most renters do not know their rights. There are a lot of really bad properties out there.

It isn't overkill and any tenant can request an inspection from their local council to ensure their rented property (that they are paying "crazy" money to rent) complies with regulations. HAP means that the council ensures that their tenants are protected, seeing as they are the ones paying for it. Unfortunately most renters do not know their rights. There are a lot of really bad properties out there.
    Well what happens if the landlord can't afford these new regulations and has to either substantially raise the rent or kick the HAP tenant out and just get a private tenant? Have you ever thought about that? It's ridiculous.

It's not just about letting fresh air in though.

• Advertisement

It's not just about letting fresh air in though.
    Is it just habitable rooms that need to be ventilated? Like bedrooms? Not every room?

Advertisement