Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from a HAP inspector report?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

icarus_67 wrote: »
    Sure how else can a landlord increase the rent in this situation?

It is up to me to increase the rent if it is within the open market rate of rent in the area. The tenant pays the current rent through a combination of their own income and what they get via HAP.

If I want to increase the rent and the tenant is unable to pay I would imagine I have grounds to tell them to leave? They can't just stay there indefinitely?

You can increase to market rates outside of RPZ within certain timeframes. If the tenant cant pay the new amount then presumably they would need to find somewhere else to live that they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icarus_67

You can increase to market rates outside of RPZ within certain timeframes. If the tenant cant pay the new amount then presumably they would need to find somewhere else to live that they can afford.
    Well that what I thought at first but then someone mentioned the following:

Tenancies commencing after the 24th December 2016
    For tenancies that began after the 24th of December 2016, after the first 6 month probationary period of the tenancy, the tenant secures the right to remain in the property for a further five and a half years and the tenancy is referred to as a 'Part 4 tenancy.'

Which means that they can just remain in the property even after I've served them a notice of eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Well that what I thought at first but then someone mentioned the following:

Tenancies commencing after the 24th December 2016
    For tenancies that began after the 24th of December 2016, after the first 6 month probationary period of the tenancy, the tenant secures the right to remain in the property for a further five and a half years and the tenancy is referred to as a 'Part 4 tenancy.'

Which means that they can just remain in the property even after I've served them a notice of eviction.

If you serve an eviction notice and all is correct and everything is OK with RTB they can't stay for 5 and a half years.

The above gives them certain rights but not cart blanche rights.

If you serve an eviction notice and all is correct and everything is OK with RTB they can't stay for 5 and a half years.

The above gives them certain rights but not cart blanche rights.
    So if I increase the rent to the maximum open market value and they can't pay then I would have grounds to have them evicted? And the RTB would be on my side? I assume I would have to give them a notice period based on how long they have stayed in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So I'm actually not really losing any money in the end?

Do you have an accountant? You should and if not you need to get one, I can recommend one if you want by PM. You will need to file a return for the rental income which the revenue sees as taxable income.

You have to pay tax on all rental income at whatever rate of tax you pay. You can reduce the liability a few ways, the interest paid on the mortgage being the main one for most people, and any qualifying expenses for the house so repairs and maintenance.

• Advertisement

Do you have an accountant? You should and if not you need to get one, I can recommend one if you want by PM. You will need to file a return for the rental income which the revenue sees as taxable income.

You have to pay tax on all rental income at whatever rate of tax you pay. You can reduce the liability a few ways, the interest paid on the mortgage being the main one for most people, and any qualifying expenses for the house so repairs and maintenance.
    Thanks for your helpful reply.

See that's the thing - I don't think the expense of installing new vents etc because of new building regulations in a property that I own constitutes as either repairs or maintenance. What do you think?

[HTML][/HTML]
    Thanks for your helpful reply.

See that's the thing - I don't think the expense of installing new vents etc because of new building regulations in a property that I own constitutes as either repairs or maintenance. What do you think?

It does.
    If you change the washing machine, fix the fridge, get a room painted, change furniture etc etc all can be deducted as an expense.
    Keep receipts for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

So if I increase the rent to the maximum open market value and they can't pay then I would have grounds to have them evicted? And the RTB would be on my side? I assume I would have to give them a notice period based on how long they have stayed in the property.

Once you are not in the rpz then as far as I know yes you can. You may have to show three comparable properties for rent to justify the market rate.

Yes you need to give them the correct notice depending on how long they have been in the property. The rtb website will give you the info you need.

Icarus_67, is this a parody or a troll thread? In a very short space of time you've asked so many questions that are so basic and fundamental to the role of being a landlord that it's either shocking or a wind-up.

Icarus_67, is this a parody or a troll thread? In a very short space of time you've asked so many questions that are so basic and fundamental to the role of being a landlord that it's either shocking or a wind-up.
    They are not basic questions. I still haven't found out whether I can get a deduction on my taxes based on the expenses incurred on installing things related to the new building regulations. They may or may not be considered repairs and maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They are not basic questions. I still haven't found out whether I can get a deduction on my taxes based on the expenses incurred on installing things related to the new building regulations. They may or may not be considered repairs and maintenance.

The whole thread is based on your hysteria around an inspection that hasn't even happened yet. Get a grip!

j

You can.

Do you have an accountant to file a return for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are huge windows in the living room. I don't understand why I need to spend money on a vent when there are windows that can do the same job? It's overkill and costly.

perhaps there are trickle vents in the windows ?

I have a house built in 1895 leased to the council under a long term lease , I had to get vented slates fitted on the roof and wavin pipes connected to said slates , the pipe is then fitted to a ceiling vent in the bedrooms at the other end , this was because drilling through stone walls is not practical , its no problem through a block wall , just get a guy with a core drill , he should do a good few for circa 300 quid

you just have to suck it up , provided the tenant continues to contribute to the monthly rent and thus you keep getting paid , i would take a philosophical attitude to inspection recommendations , the engineer i had out prior to the council taking the house would not accept trickle vents on the windows as he said the rooms were too small , these inspectors often cherry pick where they want to be demanding but its best just keep smiling

you have to remember most who work in these areas are pompous mediocrities but they can make life difficult for you

j

You can.

Do you have an accountant to file a return for you?
    I'm not interested in hiring you as an accountant as I already have one and I'm not sure whether you are qualified to know whether it can be deducted or not. I have a feeling it is not considered deductible as it doesn't specify it on Revenue.ie.

Not always no? The house I'm currently in and the house I grew up in never had vents in each room. It's total overkill.

Normally people would open a window when they need to to let fresh air in. A new vent in each room would cost 250 Euros each approximately. It's crazy.

should not cost anywhere near 250 each

I'm not interested in hiring you as an accountant as I already have one

So why are you asking Boards.ie and not your accountant?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    should not cost anywhere near 250 each
    Really? How much do you think they would cost to install? The vents themselves seem quite cheap in fairness when I looked them up online....

If you re-read the thread you've written 44 posts of complete ignorance of how tax on rental income works. And yet you claim to have an accountant.

That's bizarre behaviour on a forum where landlords claim to be competent professionals offering an essential service in the belief that they get a bad rap for being landlords.

As for the numerous posts on how to raise the rent on your tenants to pay for ventilation without breaking the law, that's parodic too.

This doesn't sound like a competent landlord who has ever filed a return on rental income, let alone taken any pride in their asset or seen their mortgage as anything other than free money paid for by some other pleb.

Alarm bells if there's a young couple trying to bring up kids in this house.

I'm not interested in hiring you as an accountant as I already have one and I'm not sure whether you are qualified to know whether it can be deducted or not. I have a feeling it is not considered deductible as it doesn't specify it on Revenue.ie.

I’m not an accountant.

Just trying to be helpful.

But be ignorant and ignore the answers you were given if you want.

Best of luck, with your attitude your going to need it.

Really? How much do you think they would cost to install? The vents themselves seem quite cheap in fairness when I looked them up online....

A bit of four inch wavin pipe through the hole in the wall ,where is the expense bar paying guy with core drill and the vent ends you screw to the wall at each side?

Bar drill guy , less than 20 quid in materials per room ,probably less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Where does it say that a landlord can be fined 5000 Euros for non compliance?

EDIT: Wait I see it mentioned at the bottom of the regulation PDF document. I still can't imagine that kind of thing being enforced. I've heard of people on Boards that ignored the letter that stipulates improvements that need to be made. A year or more passed and nothing has happened.

I'm starting to understand the hatred of landlord here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Oh you are….

I’m not an accountant.

Just trying to be helpful.

But be ignorant and ignore the answers you were given if you want.

Best of luck, with your attitude your going to need it.
    Apologies for my rudeness it's just that in the past people have aggressively given me advice about a certain thing on Boards and other forums and then eventually I find out down the line that they were actually trying to sell me something.
    It seems that you weren't one of those people at all and I'm very sorry for my rudeness especially considering you were trying to help me. I do appreciate the help very much.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A bit of four inch wavin pipe through the hole in the wall ,where is the expense bar paying guy with core drill and the vent ends you screw to the wall at each side?

Bar drill guy , less than 20 quid in materials per room ,probably less
    How much would you think it would actually cost a guy to call over to drill the holes and install the vents? Are we talking maybe 200 to 300 Euros for the job excluding the cost of the materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

How much would you think it would actually cost a guy to call over to drill the holes and install the vents? Are we talking maybe 200 to 300 Euros for the job excluding the cost of the materials?

Get a quote. Jobs can differ depending on property.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Apologies for my rudeness it's just that in the past people have aggressively given me advice about a certain thing on Boards and other forums and then eventually I find out down the line that they were actually trying to sell me something.
    It seems that you weren't one of those people at all and I'm very sorry for my rudeness especially considering you were trying to help me. I do appreciate the help very much.

But you only joined in June 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You might get roughly half the cost back

TheChizler wrote: »
    You might get roughly half the cost back
    Not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

That's really interesting that you didn't have to put child locks in. That would mean there was some discretion involved.

This was 2018 so childlocks might have been added after that, don't know. No longer renting out house so don't care. House was rented to single person, maybe that was a factor, again don't know or care. I wasn't there for the inspection in person, just had the report sent to me.

I don't understand....who inspected your house in the first place if the tenant wasn't on HAP?

Council inspected it, doesn't have to be on HAP for local authorities to inspect. All rentals except Holiday homes can be inspected. For HAP the council has to do the inspection in a set time frame (think its first 8 months), for other rentals they have a planned list they go through, house was rented out 6 years before they did inspection.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    This was 2018 so childlocks might have been added after that, don't know. No longer renting out house so don't care. House was rented to single person, maybe that was a factor, again don't know or care. I wasn't there for the inspection in person, just had the report sent to me.

Council inspected it, doesn't have to be on HAP for local authorities to inspect. All rentals except Holiday homes can be inspected. For HAP the council has to do the inspection in a set time frame (think its first 8 months), for other rentals they have a planned list they go through, house was rented out 6 years before they did inspection.
    Okay I understand. If the council needs to inspect non HAP properties can't the landlord just ignore their calls? How do they actually enforce it?

Advertisement