Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big outage of websites?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

is it an AWS issue - is fastly built on AWS ?

whippet wrote: »
    is it an AWS issue - is fastly built on AWS ?

Wrong way around. AWS was down because of Fastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

So what are the repercussions of something like this ?
    Presumably all of the content companies have SLAs with Fastly so that there will be payouts for loss of revenues while down.
    Will some of those claims also be punitive?
    One would expect that Fastly's business insurance would cover it.
    Will anyone switch CDNs over this? Unlikely I would imagine.
    Cloudfare and Akamai might pick up additional new business though.
    Somebody's head high up will have to roll, or at least a 'you'll never work in this town again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here you go:
    https://docs.fastly.com/products/service-availability-sla#availability-invoice-credits

This has cost fastly about 5% of the monthly bill for customers in the affected regions.

There'd be no scope for suing or otherwise applying punitive damages. fastly provides an SLA, but if an outage causes extra headaches for a customer, then they need to build in additional mitigations for any fastly outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It is far more likely to hit their new custom than existing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,992 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Boards is also down.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

ELM327 wrote: »
    Boards is also down.

It is, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah, no problems here either. Reddit is the only one down that I can see here.
    Reddit is fine for me

gmisk wrote: »
    Reddit is fine for me

Fastly fixed the issue about 50 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Guru meditation errors? Are they running Amigas in their cloud?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

My money is on someone doing something stupid with BGP.

So much for the web being designed with no single points of failure. An issue with Amazon Web Services, Cloudflare, Microsoft Azure or this Fastly service seems to be bring large parts of it down.

To be fair, "the web" was still up. Some websites are overly reliant on a single provider, today's outage will result in some discussions in these companies about what they need to do to account for this in future.

I don't think anyone thinks the internet is "well-designed", but it is by nature very fault-tolerant and next to impossible to bring down.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks the internet is "well-designed", but it is by nature very fault-tolerant and next to impossible to bring down.
    I disagree - the internet is quite vulnerable. If something happened Big Ben, we're in trouble.
    Even the Elders of the Internet allowing people to borrow it puts the modern world at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Boris at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Guru meditation? Isn't that a Commodore Amiga thing.

🙈🙉🙊

Guru meditation? Isn't that a Commodore Amiga thing.
    Yeah, that's where it started.

In the early days of the web, some web servers included it as an in-joke to display whenever the web server crashed.

One piece of software still includes it; https://varnish-cache.org/

So much for the web being designed with no single points of failure. An issue with Amazon Web Services, Cloudflare, Microsoft Azure or this Fastly service seems to be bring large parts of it down.

Good thing it's not an airplane :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

"On June 8, we experienced a global service interruption. Here is what happened — and what happens next."

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

AIB app on my phone keeps demanding I upgrade, then fails to properly load the upgrade.

Oh no wait, it's been like that every other time I log in for about four months now. Beyond useless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AIB app on my phone keeps demanding I upgrade, then fails to properly load the upgrade.

Oh no wait, it's been like that every other time I log in for about four months now. Beyond useless.
    Uninstall and reinstall. Sounds more like your phone as the app is working fine for me (Android).
    Not sure if they use Firstly.

Advertisement