Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness foods - Product recommendations thread

• 08-06-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Would be great to have a thread to share recommendations on any food product that you use regularly that helps you with your Health & Fitness goals. Bonus if it is something that's easily available in Irish Supermarkets.

I'll get the ball rolling...Skyr Icelandic Tradition Nature 1kg Sigurdsson - An absolute bargain at €1.99
    https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-skyr-icelandic-tradition-nature-1kg-sigurdsson/4103840021481

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I would opt for lamb(cow) liver instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

markmoto wrote: »
    I would opt for lamb(cow) liver instead

What are the benefits of eating liver? Used to be quite a common dish from when i was a child but i rarely hear of anyone having it nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

What are the benefits of eating liver? Used to be quite a common dish from when i was a child but i rarely hear of anyone having it nowadays.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-liver-is-a-superfood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

So cheap, super nutritious and locally grown.
    Unfortunately lamb/cow liver going into fridge containers and shipped on a monthly basis to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and other far destinations.

People prefer shakes, powders in a fancy looking bottles these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ACME Protein Powder (Alf10 for a 10% bonus for me)

I jest.

The 1kg Skyr in Aldi is a good shout. It's my go-to for a quick lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

My number one fitness food for my goals is McDonald’s. My bench press loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Patsy167 wrote: »

I must admit i didn't know any of that, very interesting read. Getting hungry now. I know my local butcher doesn't sell liver so I'll look around Dublin city centre next time I'm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Love that Skyr but I eat too much of it so had to stop buying it :o

I really like the O'Egg liquid egg whites (free range) - add a few spoons to 1 or 2 full eggs to top up the protein content

Love that Skyr but I eat too much of it so had to stop buying it :o

I really like the O'Egg liquid egg whites (free range) - add a few spoons to 1 or 2 full eggs to top up the protein content

A few spoons? I usually add about 200ml....

A few other random ones I pick up most weeks:

Tesco High Fibre Bran Cereal 750G- https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292975608
    Great for: those looking to increase their fibre intake
    Goes well with: topping for yogurt etc.

Tesco Frozen Summer Fruits Mix 500G - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258759778
    Great for: High volume/low calorie dessert, oats, yogurt topping

Seafood Mix 250g Skellig Bay - https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-seafood-mix-250g-skellig-bay/4088600075846
    Great for: Fish pies / Thai curries

• Advertisement

A few spoons? I usually add about 200ml....

:eek: Well I did mean tablespoons so maybe 50ml in 3 tablespoons I guess! You need to get yourself some hens :pac::pac:

:eek: Well I did mean tablespoons so maybe 50ml in 3 tablespoons I guess! You need to get yourself some hens :pac::pac:

If you're getting 50ml a spoon, it's more ladle than spoon.

One of the whey scoops is 70ml. Three of those on top of the egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Live yogurt 55c in Aldi

I think I'm gonna have a go at putting Skyr into my protein Cheesecake instead of Greek yogurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Lidl do choc and vanilla puddings that are 20g protein. Still basically a dessert, but at least more macro friendly than the usual. In the yoghurt section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd always just put Skyr as yogurt rather than a cheese - probably because when it came into lidl and aldi it was mainly fruit flavoured. I'll have to reassess that. Would it be a swap for sour cream (which one of my children loves)?

Anyway...
    • Aldi/ Brooklea or Lidl/ Milbona 0% fat greek yogurt for me. Lovely mixed flavoured whey (salted caramel my current fav) or flavour drops.
    • Frozen mixed berries for me too. I add them making my porridge in the morning, and fill a bowl full for the fridge for later.
    • We cook a lot in the slow cooker, so frozen veg is another one, but that's more for getting more veg into the children (melts away into the sauce).
    • Apart from that - lean meats. We buy a lot of mini fillets or diced chicken - if it's going in recipes/ sambos/ wraps/ salads doesn't seem much point in spending extra on whole fillets that we just have to cut up!

Echo the above on the MyProtein flavDrops

Only discovered these recently and they have been a game changer. Went a little trigger happy last month and ordered most of the flavours. All excellent - Toffee, vanilla, Mocha, Butter Buiscuit, cherry, and coconut being the best.

Highly recommended for anyone with a sweet tooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Only discovered these recently and they have been a game changer. Went a little trigger happy last month and ordered most of the flavours. All excellent - Toffee, vanilla, Mocha, Butter Buiscuit, cherry, and coconut being the best
    Butter Biscuit is the one I keep going back too. I like the Toffee one too.

If you're getting 50ml a spoon, it's more ladle than spoon.

One of the whey scoops is 70ml. Three of those on top of the egg.

No I meant 15ml per spoon!! so 45ml-50ml across 3 tablespoons give or take a bit of spillage

No I meant 15ml per spoon!! so 45ml-50ml across 3 tablespoons give or take a bit of spillage

No YOU misread it!

Gotcha now :)

• Advertisement

No YOU misread it!

Gotcha now :)

:o:D
    Sorry I was waiting for the MP / Bulk Powders egg white discount code to come in from you :-)

:o:D
    Sorry I was waiting for the MP / Bulk Powders egg white discount code to come in from you :-)

ALF10 works if you go to BigProtein.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

Fitness food? interesting, all conversations goes down into processed food

Advertisement