Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

• 08-06-2021 4:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

New thread

Previous thread:

Mod notes from previous thread apply

updated 26 March 2023 Mod: Any more posts that categorise other people as pro Kenny or anti Kenny will be treated as trolling and a forum warning will apply. If you can't discuss the actual content of posts do not reply to them or post about them.

Previous note that still applies :Mod: Posters are reminded that wide ranging commentary of the views of others and snide remarks are not welcome. If you can't make a point in a respectful way do not post.

Posters are allowed to have differing views. It is possible to disagree with a view but also respect the right of a person to have another opinion. If you find yourself of an opposing view to another poster and you choose to challenge that view please make sure you do so in a way that challenges the soccer views posted and presents your own argument.

If a poster is just dismissive without making counter points it will be viewed as intentional disruption of the thread.

As per the charter posters should:
    - be prepared to argue cogently and coherently in support of your argument.
    - be aware that repeating the same point over and over again without addressing counter arguments is not advisable.
    - know it is your responsibility to ensure that you contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

Warning as per post 23705 - : Can we move on from the never-ending discussion of Neil Lennon please. It's becoming tiresome. He has not and will not be appointed as Irish manager in this cycle so there is no need to hash it out further in this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106222 https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117372727&postcount=9047

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'd like to see

GK: Kelleher

LB + RB: Doherty and Manning

CB'S: Omobamidile and Egan

CM: Cullen and Molumby

CAM: Parrott

LM + RM: Knight and Horgan

ST: Idah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Duff wrote: »
    I'd like to see

GK: Kelleher

LB + RB: Doherty and Manning

CB'S: Omobamidile and John Egan

CM: Cullen and Molumbu

CAM: Troy Parrott

LM + RM: Knight and Horgan

ST: Idah

Think three at the back will be used tonight and has been mentioned by a few journalist too that it's been used in training for this match.

With the bits of info about certain players I'd go with this as our starting line up:

......................Bazunu

............Duffy - Egan - O'Shea

Doherty - Cullen - Hourihane - McClean
    .......................Knight

................Parrot - Idah

Not sure who'll start on the left, but wouldn't be surprised to see McClean start again.

Think three at the back will be used tonight and has been mentioned by a few journalist too that it's been used in training for this match.

With the bits of info about certain players I'd go with this as our starting line up:

Not sure who'll start on the left, but wouldn't be surprised to see McClean start again.

May as well play with 10 men with Hourihane on the pitch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Exact same team I predicted.

Although I would prefer to see Hourihane drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Duff wrote: »
    May as well play with 10 men with Hourihane on the pitch :(

Not sure hes a better option but id like to see Arter play, i think he looks and demands the ball a lot more than Hourihane. With his stats from the Andorra game, he'll be lucky if a club wants to sign him this summer.

• Advertisement

If we could just get one central midfielder in the team who can regularly take the ball from the defence and pivot on it l, we'd be in a much better position.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd like to see Jamie McGrath get a proper run. He's a goalscorer and a creator and I feel he'd be much more of use than Hourihane or Arter.

I just think Hourihane has shown enough of the fact he's slow and lazy. Molumby would be a better option in the sense that he at least looks for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

athlone99 wrote: »
    Not sure hes a better option but id like to see Arter play, i think he looks and demands the ball a lot more than Hourihane. With his stats from the Andorra game, he'll be lucky if a club wants to sign him this summer.
    Arter's a defensive midfielder, if he starts, it's going to be in place of Cullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mon Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not sure I'd love a back 5 again to be honest but there is an argument to be made that it suits the players although I'm not sure it'll suit Kennys preferred style.

Would like to see Manning and Omobamidile get a start

• Advertisement

Exact same team I predicted.

Although I would prefer to see Hourihane drop out.

I'd prefer to never see him play again for Ireland. Would have Arter in there ahead of him. He can be rash in a challenge and can often stray from position but he'll put more effort in than Hourihane and looks for the ball.

He's also got a decent left peg on him for hitting shots from a distance. Something Hourihane is meant to be an expert at but I've probably seen Arter have more shots from distance than Hourihane for us.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd love a back 5 again to be honest but there is an argument to be made that it suits the players although I'm not sure it'll suit Kennys preferred style.

Would like to see Manning and Omobamidile get a start

If he didn't play against Andorra I'd say he's not going to feature tonight unless there's injuries in defence. This training camp was probably more to get him in training and have a closer look at him. Mick did similar for his training camp. Brought Luca Connell in who had broken into the Bolton team and one or maybe two other youngsters.

I'll be for an ireland win today anyway I suspect some on here won't be

E3XAYq4XwAAs4EU?format=jpg&name=medium

No Kelleher at all is strange.

No Kelleher at all is strange.

He's number 16.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1402308187735269376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Not starting Kelleher here is a lousy call from Kenny.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1402308187735269376

Would've preferred Molumby (or a statue) for Hourihane and maybe Horgan for McClean, although he was a great impact sub against Andorra. Very interested to see how Parrott and Idah link up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Not starting Kelleher here is a lousy call from Kenny.

How so?
    Bazunu played regular ball this year. Kelleher got a few token run outs at a club he's never going to be first choice keeper for.
    Kennys clearly favouring Bazunu because he's gone out on loan and played games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Happy to see 2 up top anyway.

• Advertisement

How so?
    Bazunu played regular ball this year. Kelleher got a few token run outs at a club he's never going to be first choice keeper for.

And he's also been a steady set of hands since going in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bazunu is likely to be our number 1 so let him get as much experience as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I'll be for an ireland win today anyway I suspect some on here won't be

Curious as to why this comment warrants a yellow card ?

secman wrote: »
    Curious as to why this comment warrants a yellow card ?

Probably wasn't conducive to decent conversation to be fair

Big test for Cullen and Hourihane tonight. Both went missing against Andorra and will need to be much better for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How so?

They weren’t token runouts, he became the genuine backup over Adrian when Alisson was out injured.

But I’ve no problem with Bazunu starting. He’s done well so far. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelleher play the second half. Be interesting to see how things shake up in a few months when Kelleher’s playing regular ball on loan.

Big test for Cullen and Hourihane tonight. Both went missing against Andorra and will need to be much better for this game.

Hourihan in particular has finally been called out for hiding I hope it's the kick in the arse he needs. He's a better player than he seems to think he is at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bazunu is likely to be our number 1 so let him get as much experience as possible.

What did you base that on?

Kelleher got keeper of the week in the Champions League and kept a clean sheet in the Premier League and became Liverpool’s No2. I’m sure Bazunu will have a great career but as of now shouldn’t Kenny be rewarding quality over quantity.

It would be tough for any keeper to demote Allison to the bench.

sugarman wrote: »
    Disappointed with the persistence of Hourihane and McClean, they were everything that was wrong with the first 60 mins the other night.

For a lot longer than that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Kenny struggling through another interview here

tastyt wrote: »
    Kenny struggling through another interview here

So what?

Hourihan in particular has finally been called out for hiding I hope it's the kick in the arse he needs. He's a better player than he seems to think he is at this level
    Hourihane was poor, but he did chip in with an assist so at least he carries some sort of threat. Cullen is more worrying for me. He hasn't contributed offensively, and so many games have passed him by in central midfield. It's unacceptable that our midfield pivot should struggle to assert himself against Andorra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kelleher will need a move, warming the bench won't do him any good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I would hardly use Kelleher being 2nd choice to Allison as something to use against him. Sure Ederson is 2nd choice to him at International level to him and Bazunu would hardly be 2nd choice at Man City right now which is the level we're talking about.

Hopefully Kelleher gets 2nd half as I'd like to see both get a half each as we could be sorted with either of these for next 15 years so it'd be good for both to get some game-time.

What did you base that on?

Kelleher got keeper of the week in the Champions League and kept a clean sheet in the Premier League and became Liverpool’s No2. I’m sure Bazunu will have a great career but as of now shouldn’t Kenny be rewarding quality over quantity.

It would be tough for any keeper to demote Allison to the bench.

Same reason Randolph may not get his starting spot back once fit. Kelleher didn't play last year whereas Bazunu did. If Kelleher gets himself a good loan and plays he may well dislodge Bazunu but sitting on the bench wont help him.

• Advertisement

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I would hardly use Kelleher being 2nd choice to Allison as something to use against him. Sure Ederson is 2nd choice to him at International level to him and Bazunu would hardly be 2nd choice at Man City right now which is the level we're talking about.

Hopefully Kelleher gets 2nd half as I'd like to see both get a half each as we could be sorted with either of these for next 15 years so it'd be good for both to get some game-time.

Bazunu was healthy when kelliher wasnt it would be unfair to drop bazunu now. I could see kelliher getting 2nd half alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Stephen seems to have a decision to make amongst Bazunu and Kelliher yet picked that young lad who couldn't catch a ball against Serbia in the much more important game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not a fan of these monochrome kits.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Stephen seems to have a decision to make amongst Bazunu and Kelliher yet picked that young lad who couldn't catch a ball against Serbia in the much more important game.

Kelleher was injured.

Great to see the attacking threat of Shane Duffy added to this side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Hourihane off to a good start...

Ahh that's why hourihan was hiding

Hourihane showing why he goes hiding there.

Boos for the taking of the knee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see such a passionate crowd, kind of anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

John Egan is a right speed merchant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Shambolic start so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The Hungary player pointing at the respect badge on his shirt. Was that directed at the Ireland players or the crowd booing? My phone rang I got distracted.

Hourihane trying to hide whilst wearing a ridiculous lime green under armour wasn't his best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Hungary player pointing at the respect badge on his shirt. Was that directed at the Ireland players or the crowd booing? My phone rang I got distracted.

Crowd I'd say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement