Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nice of Kenny to get selfies with the fans :)

He seems a real decent sort to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Sure fcuk it, things could be a lot worst. A lot to like about this setup. Shocked that Ireland are kind of free scoring now. Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably means next year and that could depend on if the EFL takes a break for the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great away win, I cannot believe that this Duffy is the same donkey that masqueraded as a Celtic player!

Yeah we've two friendlies in March and four games in the first two weeks of June.

• Advertisement

He didn't resist for long...wall to wall selfies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Kenny's first year - it's definitely worth keeping in mind just how bloody horrible the circumstances were for a new fella coming in too. No home games effectively (literally none of the positives you normally get for a home game were present), players stuck in their individually rooms outside of training because of covid, a frankly ridiculous number of covid-positive events ripping the team apart from game to game, along with a rake of injuries, and just all the awkwardness of social distancing etc (not to mention just all the life issues that each player will have been dealing with, like us all, throughout lockdowns etc).

In the months since things have calmed down and international breaks have gotten more normal and communal, the progress has been much much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A penny for Shane long thoughts, could still be Ireland’s striker instead of Idah if he didn’t choose to effectively retire around 2018. He may be happy enough with his decisions for all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd say Duffy will set some record hard to catch - could score 10 + - an actual amount not bad for some of our forwards over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

That's a fair comment and I did touch on it earlier in the thread (probably lost in the sea of posts celebrating the third goal), but this window he had Parrott, who is at least playing regular football and like Idah is one for the future, and Knight who he eventually brought on to excellent effect. I'd have probably started one of them instead.

Hopefully this'll all stand to Idah long-term. Maybe Dean Smith will take a shine to him and actually play him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I love the fact that Kenny is Irish manager. What was that poster on about with his Solskjaer test?! I'm a United fan who has supported Solskjaer as long as I could but he's literally the opposite of Stephen Kenny.

Someone who got a job he didn't deserve because of his playing career and club connections, not because of ability against someone who's got the job of his dreams through nothing but top class coaching ability.

Nothing has ever been given to Kenny based on anything other than his ability as a coach and he's clawed his way up from underage coaching in the LOI to National team manager and I think it's fantastic.

Yeah he'll go on to be our highest scoring defender easily. Only turns 30 next year so has plenty of time to do it.

Parrott has been inconsistent and is playing in league one, Idah admittedly isn't getting much time with Norwich but quick check he has had 8 appearances, and knight plays in a totally different position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Duffy is on 7 atm. Bound to beat it rate he is going.

--

Paul McGrath is on 8 - but he played a lot in midfield

Richard Dunne is on 8

Would you count Steve Staunton as s CB? - even though it was only in his latter years he played there. he is on 8

Garry Breen is on 7

Kevin Moran got 6.

And I checked Gary Doherty is only on 4 despite playing as a striker sometimes.

John O'Shea only got 3 surprisingly

Mick McCarthy only got 2

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

"I believe in The Promised Land"

Bruuuuuuuuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You have to be very brave to ask Brady if the manager has more of a connection with the fans then a few of out past ones. Started of well I thought he is giving him praise and then ended as a backhanded complement. You could see he just wanted to get out and not answer anymore question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A result that will probably keep Kenny in his post, yet the 3-0 scoreline papers over plenty of cracks. The defence played itself into trouble on more than one occasion, and against the better teams would have been punished. Luxembourg were really awful, especially at the back, and it remains inexcusable that we managed to lose to them in Dublin.

Despite the hype that will come from predictable quarters in the media, it’s been a very poor campaign. We finish on single digits for points, the same number as Luxembourg, and come away with less wins than them. We have 2 competitive wins in the campaign, over the 94th and 119th teams in the world respectively. Kenny still has much to prove.

There will be a lot of talk now about ‘trust the process’, ‘corners turned’, and ‘progress’ but I've heard all this stuff before with Solskjaer and United. I was ‘OleOut’ before it was cool, and the same people that told me I was wrong 2 years ago for it are now the ones demanding he be sacked immediately. Ultimately, it's a results business, and there's no running away from that. Time will tell.

Fair play checking them - they are cool , had a good feel for them all , but fair play (LOL)

I've probably jinxed him and he wont get one for years now .

Remarkable lad - considering he had a life playing for Northern Ireland too. He **** loves playing for Ireland - same with James in fairness to the two of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Please stop comparing him to Solskjaer, there are exactly zero similarities between them.

Apart from something you've concocted in your own head and that really isn't in anyway relevant to anyone else.

Ah I was curious myself you got me thinking. So went through the likely CB lads.

First one I thought of was Breen he always seemed to pop up at one stage. Plus Mick roaring 'Breeny - Breeny - Breeny' during the WC 2002 is seared in my brain.

Looking at Duffy's goals it is gas to look at

2 in 2017

1 in 2019

1 in 2020

3 in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So literally when he gets sacked, like nearly every other manager, you're going to say I told you so? Good man, not wanting him to succeed so you can be "right" on an Internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Wouldn't have called that scoreline in a million years after 65 minutes but man that was a class final quarter.

Delighted for Ogbene, delighted for Kenny. There's still plenty of room for improvement but confidence is building, goals are flowing and we're going to have a much more settled and experienced group of youngsters for the Nations league.

Can't help but be positive imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Delighted with that result. It was an entertaining first half but was a bit open for my liking, I felt like we lacked control despite managing to create a couple of chances. I mentioned it earlier but I think by playing three forwards we are much too open in midfield and it makes the job of Hendrick and Cullen much more difficult. You can see the logic behind it against the weaker teams but unfortunately Idah doesn't offer enough of a goal threat yet. We are much better with three midfielders and two forwards, whether that has been McGrath or Knight when he came on.

Second half we started horribly. I really feared the worst and we were seriously on the ropes until he changed things around. Once Knight came on we regained a foothold, looked much better and won out comfortably in the end. The last 20 mins was really enjoyable and a great performance.

So many positives to take from the last few games, however still warning signals there and there were times tonight it was looking like a repeat of March. I guess it is evidence of how far we have come that we lost that night yet win 3-0 tonight.

Ogbene playing his way into the team as is Knight. Loads of time between now and our next competitive game in June so guys like Idah, Parrott, Connolly, Molumby etc. have loads of time to find a bit of form for their club and come into the team.

Best of all I hope this is the end of the should he stay or should he go shi*é with Kenny!! He is staying on and deserves to. Lots to look forward to in 2022 and it feels good to say that after 4 or 5 years of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One positive is that despite playing a brand of football previous managers thought was impossible for an Irish team we didn't lose any of our group games by more than 1 goal.

Listening to the way trap, O'Neil, etc used to go on, you would think we would be getting beat 4 or 5-0 every single time

They badly needed that good win on the scoreboard. They deserve it after the year they have had must be hard to keep plugging away. Plus it surely helps the coefficient rankings etc in future? Third in group etc.

What must Idah feel like - he is a decent lad. But he just didn't look like he was leaving it all out there. Very slow to start his runs, didn't try for that 1 in 10 breaking ball. Just a lack of effort (IMO)

Is he 'too nice' type of a player?

Sort of like the problem Ireland used to have with James McCarthy. Annoying people because the talent is there but not the effort?

I went to an u21 Ireland game against Italy back in 2019 to see what the fuss was about 'Kenny's Kids'. It was 0-0 but I thought Idah would push on. Seemed to have something - but it hasn't happened for whatever reason.

Also, a special little mention for Hendrick. I'd gotten to the stage with him where seeing his name on the teamsheet made me sigh, or swear. But he's clawed back some form for us, and looks better under Kenny these past few months than he has for anyone (for club or country) since the 2016 Euros.

We really needed one of those old guard midfielders to step up and help out the young lads, and he's been the one to do it. Excellent pass to pick out Knight for the second goal too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Comparisons to Solskjaer are just nonsense really. A simple comparison of managerial experience would show a vast difference alone.

Kenny inherited a bang average group of players, who were going no where fast. He has introduced a lot of newcomers and has had a vision as to how he wants them to play. Obviously, not training with them week in and week out and spending 100's of millions on players etc á la Solskjaer is an obvious disadvantage, but Kenny is well on the way to getting his team playing to the best of their ability.

He is experienced enough to know that there is a lot of work still to do, but Ireland under Kenny are certainly on an upward curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

When Robinson flashed that ball across the box in the first half I was thinking that’s where Idah has to be breaking his bollix to get on the end of it. Take a gamble instead of standing waiting for a cross onto your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You've an odd fixation with Ole. Zero, absolutely zero comparable things between the two. As has been pointed out to you already. But we all know you ignore anything that goes against your very off the wall anti SK stuff.

Also, another goalpost change, now it's not good enough to finish above a team unless you've had more wins than them. What next, we had one less throw in than them so sack the manager? You're gas, I'm actually enjoying seeing how twisted up in your stuff you're getting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Look at Idahs minutes, not appearances. He often comes on in the 88th minute when the team are well beaten. Of no use to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Great result and a mostly good performance.

Positives - Bazunu continues to astound, at the rate he's going, he'll be playing at a level a LOT higher than League 1 next season. Egan/Duffy are absolute weapons from set pieces, other teams just cannot defend against them. Cullen had one of his best games for us I thought, can't recall a single mistake and his set piece delivery was very good and his ball for Duffy's opener was pinpoint. McClean as well also had his best game for us in a long time, tight defensively, his delivery was excellent and much improved. Knight's cameo was huge, we looked a different and far more dynamic team with him when compared to Idah.

Negatives - The Idah experiment failed again tonight. Surely the writing is on the wall for him as being an automatic starter? Everything with him is just so slow and laboured, rapid transitions in play do not occur when he plays. Duffy/Egan were poor on the ball again, making a number of mistakes in bad areas. Teams better than Luxembourg can and will be targeting them in the future.

Fair play to Kenny too. Things were rocky to say the least, but he's turned it around and we've finished strong. He'll get his contract and crack at the Euro's and it'll be deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Have a look and see how many minutes he played in his 8 appearances.

I think it's around an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

As others have stated, making Ole comparisons is just embaressing. It wasnt a great performance but instead of whinging and pushing your agenda, why not be happy that the team weathered the storm and then kicked on and won 3-0?

When is the last time we went away from home and beat minnows comfortably in the end?

• Advertisement

Norwich going up was the worst thing that could've happened to him. He's not good enough for the premier league, but their squad isn't deep enough to have sent him on loan either. Last season should've been his year to develop, but that bad injury totally scuppered him. Hopefully Smith takes a liking to him, and gives him a lot of time next season back in the championship. With a bit of luck, he might get a loan in January, but I wouldn't count on it, barring Norwich bringing in someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah plenty of sliding door moments so far in the Kenny era imo. I'm just delighted he's now getting a proper crack of the whip. Covid will be behind us and if it doesn't go his way then at least there's no 'what ifs' for him or the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Great result. Played well in the first half but didn't create much. Had an awful first 15 minutes or so in the second half where everyone just looked really nervy and the passing went out the window. Maybe got a bit lucky with the disallowed goal but the last half hour was great.

Delighted for Kenny. I always wanted him to give him a chance after seeing what he had achieved with Dundalk. The Nations league was rough enough with our inability to score any goals and then the first 2 games of this campaign were a disaster. I think the low-point, though, was when, after that, we played Andorra in a friendly and were 1-0 down at half-time. That was the only time when I started thinking "Ok, maybe he really is out of his depth". Thankfully we scored 4 goals in the second half and honestly it's been, mostly, an upward trajectory ever since. Looking forward to the Nations League games next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think Kenny is the right way to go. We have lots of things to sort, but only game time will sort some of them. Ogbene and Idah were making runs in behind tonight but we weren't trying to play the ball in for them.. When we had the ball wide on the right we played an awful lot of of square back infield. Things like that will improve as they play more together.

We desperately needed to make the first substitution, our front three were very isolated, Hendrick making runs forward is no use if we can't pass the ball forward. We badly needed a third body in there to help pass the ball forward. I thought the same against Portugal in the second half, we looked vulnerable to a break because there was a detachment between Cullen and the defence and the forward players, it was easy for the opposition to play into the spaces we were leaving.

There's way more to do, on the positive side, Kenny is getting a tune out of Doherty and Hendrick, which previously hasn't always happened, we have an excellent goalkeeper ( his distribution is excellent, lots of little chips to players 40m upfield etc.) Our central defence is really strong. Hopefully more of the young players will get game time back at their clubs etc. But they're going the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭LowOdour

And a strikers job is to score goals...but he is going to get more praise for a brilliant bicycle kick than a 1 yard tap in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Minor point after everything else but after those two results in this window we'll be comfortably back in the top 50 in the world rankings after dropping to 51 in last month's version. Depending on how those around us fare over the next few days we might hit #45

Especially when you're poor in the air. Hopefully Will Keane gets some starts in March and we get a look at a different striker in the team.

Robinson, Cullen, and Hendrick are three lads we also need to look for alternative squad options for too. Four games in 10-12 days come June is gonna mean these lads can't start four games in a row, and that's if they're even fit and available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Let's be honest....we were appalling until Knight was introduced.

He looks a serious player.

Holtz is among the grumpier international managers: during his post-match press conference he hit out at tonight’s referee – “the coach is very angry at the referee who decided the match tonight” was the words from the translator – said Portugal missing out on top spot in the group was “justice” for playing a weakened team in Dublin and then rounded on the Irish coaching staff, accusing them of unsportsmanlike behaviour, of “playing the big guys” when winning – but not losing – to Luxembourg. 

“I’m very disappointed about the behaviour of the staff of Ireland. This evening, they came and played the big guys because they won. In Ireland where we won, they immediately disappeared to the dressing rooms.

“We didn’t go to them and make them ridiculous, but they tried to do that this evening after the match. That’s not very fair play and very disappointing.

“We are not used to that from British teams.”

He then refused to answer follow up questions to explain precisely what annoyed him, and didn’t engage when the Irish press back touched on a couple of basic facts about Ireland’s politics, geography, history and sovereignty. 

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-52-5601844-Nov2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Someone's a bit of a sore loser, or the fact that Del Boy done him up like a kipper with the jacket he sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

• The Republic of Ireland have won three of their past four matches in all competitions (D1), as many as their previous 22 beforehand (W3 D11 L8).
    • They have scored 20 goals in 12 internationals in 2021, two more than they scored in 27 games across 2018, 2019 and 2020 combined (18 goals).
    • They have kept a clean sheet in four consecutive internationals under a single manager for the first time since October 2011, a run of eight under Giovanni Trapattoni

Keep her lit Steo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

NI play Italy at Windsor Park tomorrow night. If they lose, they'll finish on only 8 points, one behind Ireland. This would be a small, petty and entirely inconsequential 'victory', but I'd still take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Seen a clip of the fans singing only one Stephen Kenny at the end of the game as the players applaud them. Gave me goosebumps. I never thought I'd see the day an essentially LOI manager has gone in won over the majority of fans and the results are starting. Class, and a sign of changing times for Irish football I hope.

Not being captain hindsight but id have started Knight over Hendrick... or even just someone more dynamic.

If we have 5 defenders and Cullen we really don't need Hendrick in there, he really adds nothing of note to either end of the field.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement