Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Of course the result counts. But if the bin men of Andorra, had been fitter, we probably would have seen a result similar to Luxembourg in Dublin. The fact the FAI had to waste a friendly date against Andorra to get Kenny a win is embarrassing.

You’ll have to point out where I’ve said that in what you quoted? I reiterated how McCarthy was pragmatic in his last stint and made no reference to his future. Defending one of Ireland’s best ever managers is now frowned upon on the ROI thread??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd be very much in the pro Kenny camp but I'd be in favour of waiting to see how the Nations League goes to see how much we've actually progressed. It's awkward with the timing but if the Nations League goes poorly then Kenny will be back to square one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The one thing that gives me hope for Kenny is that he didn't blindly stay wedded to this playing out from the back at all costs approach that characterised the initial part of his reign. I think it took him a bit longer than it probably should have, but at least he changed things up, and realised that it's ok to mix the play up and go long. I feel that the style we have now is more about playing in the best way possible to suit the players we have and get results, which is all I ever wanted. Playing in a more pragmatic style and focusing on our strength in set pieces were things I was harping on about months ago, so I would be a bit of a hypocrite to be calling for Kenny's head when he ended up doing exactly what I thought we should be doing!

If I was the FAI, I would give him a contract for the Euro's, but I would add a break clause if we get relegated from the Nations League. I don't think such a break clause will ever be needed, but it's no harm to have the insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ok, but everything you’ve written about Kenny screams that you don’t think he’s up to the job. If that’s your view, why aren’t you calling for his head now ? To be honest it’s pretty hard to see what he can do that will convince you, so why wait ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sack him or back him. If the FAI need an insurance policy because they're still not sure he's the right guy for the Euros, and that includes the Nations League because they're linked to Euros then sack the man and find someone they are sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I'm surprised Egan never got a move when Sheffield Utd went down. Maybe he just didn't look for it but he absolutely has enough about him to be a premier league player. It would be good if he pushed for a move for next season given Utd aren't going up and he'll be 29 going on 30.

Kenny hasn't done enough to justify a new contract. Finishing 8 points behind second place was complete failure.

They should have sacked him 6 months ago imo, but now we're stuck with him after picking up some results that should be relatively routine. He has the bar set at a very low level.

The FAI have previous form in giving contracts when not deserved, so I fully expect them to make the same mistake again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How many points should we finish behind 2nd place for it to be acceptable?

We played to our seeding, which is the minimum expectation of any Ireland manager. Considering the end of the campaign was with strong momentum and not stagnating like in similar regimes, I think he’s earned a shot at qualifying for the Euros which the Nations League can go a long way towards achieving.

Who should he be replaced with that will continue with the progressive football we have been playing with this group of players?

We have momentum, a solid spine in the starting 11, the players want him, the fans that go to the games want him, there is purpose to their play and he met his minimum expectations for his first campaign despite a disastrous start. He has more than earned a contract for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When you see the scots taking down Denmark and the nordies holding Italy and we're celebrating beating Luxembourg...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And we held Portugal.

Personally I celebrate every win. It beats losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,142 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And the "wait and see" lie was explained already on this thread.

We did wait and we did see and now the current international cycle is over and it would be lunacy to "wait and see" till just before the next one.

Who's gonna do all the scouting and contacting players while we "wait and see". Maybe we wait a while and then we will see a load more young players not choose Ireland because we are a sht show who don't even have a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mick's glory days are long long behind him. We're not talking about him in his glory days of 2002 - we're talking about now. The sport has passed him by. Did you actually see what happened in Cardiff? Anyone who watched that and still says "yup, he's the guy for us" cannot be taken seriously.

Fair play to the Scots but remind me what position are NI in their group. Will they be at the next World Cup ?

The only thing I am celebrating is watching a team I like rather than the horrible strikerless mess we had a few years ago. Pre Covid was the first time in my life I had to really force myself to watch Ireland and I was utterly embarrassed we got a playoff spot for finishing last in our NL group. It was so incredibly undeserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don't get this argument at all. Should we be upset that we beat Luxembourg or something?

Northern Ireland finished a distant 3rd in their group on 9 points (sounds familiar) yet they are being celebrated while we are being told this is appalling for us. There are some very strange takes here from the anti-Kenny crowd, getting themselves tied up in knots at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For me it highlights how far we've fallen when beating Luxembourg Is been seen as a great result.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Is it though ? Is it really ? It was a decent result, to win away by 3 goals no matter who the opposition, and shows that we are making progress after two disasters at home in the campaign (which were the only unacceptable results really.) as far as I’m aware that is all anyone is saying. While a team is being rebuilt there is always the possibility of a bad result or two. It looks like we are on an upward trajectory now, so why is that not acceptable ? It’s not a case of celebrating beating Luxembourg. Don’t forget, we lead in Portugal until the 89th minute. We can’t mention that apparently because we lost, but we can mention going behind to Andorra, even though we won. Once again, context is for the bad, never the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The players we had back then were a golden generation for Irish football. It's rediculous to look at that as a barometer for Kenny or any future manager. We have lads barely playing first team football, let alone first tier football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Honestly I would save your sanity and just ignore it.

• Advertisement

We finished on the same points as the 4th seeds.

We were never in with a shout of qualifying once we lost to Luxemburg in game two. That should have spelled the end for Kenny's incompetence.

He's out of his depth and I don't think he should be anywhere near a top job in football.

When we needed to we couldn't beat them. At home too. Second lowest rank team we've lost to AFAIK. That was his Staunton moment, and yet on he trundled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah well we were in complete free fall well before Kenny. My hope is we've finally hit rock bottom and now is the time to rebuild with some vision for the future, not just the next tournament.

If I had the choice between Euro 2012 or never qualifying for another tournament again id be channelling Ian fcuking paisley with a resounding never never never.

And in the Euro 2020 campaign they lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan and got hockied 7-0 over two games by Belgium.

An improving side continuing their good momentum under a decent manager who has been backed, who knew?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This thread is far too black and white.

There is no denying that Kenny's start as Irish manager was abysmal. He had the team set up in a 4-3-3 formation playing awful football, tippy tappy nonsense that was easy to defend against and we never looked like winning games. he gave interviews at the time saying that's his style and he was going to stick to it.

Then Kenny got a huge slice of luck when Duff left the Irish setup and Anthony Barry was brought in. From that point on things slowly started to change and the Kenny evolution properly began. Kenny and Barry slowly changed the shape of the team and how we played. We started mixing it up more while also keeping Kenny's philosophy of holding onto possession and now we look like a much better team.

There is still improvements to be made, some decisions like starting Idah are a very strange, but there is no doubt that the team is now on an upward trend and for that reason Kenny should be given a contract for the Euro qualifiers.

How many points did we need to finish behind 2nd before it would be acceptable?

I’ve noticed you ignored that question.

I also asked who he should be replaced with which you have also ignored.

And again, where did I say "he's the guy for us"? You are seeing things that aren't there mate, and making arguments that don't exist.

We failed to build on our glory years and now we are stuck with a bankrupt FA and a team of lower league squad players. The Kenny out crowd don't understand that though and they think that a team named Ireland should be beating all the "minnows" just because we are Ireland.

Do people realize that FIFA almost had to step in and take over which is a very rare occurrence and especially for one that thinks it's in the big league. We were a government bailout away from that.

Luxembourg who some seem so keen to look down on have been using the time we spent watching Delaney drink the planet dry of champagne to start a major scouting drive and national academies that are taking in and professionally training from the age of 9.

We are not entitled to be a big team just cause Jackie's army were 30 years ago

But we finished 3rd, and thus held our seeding. It really isn’t difficult to comprehend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

He has to be given a contract now, one defeat in the last ten and that was away to Portugal in extra time.

Honestly, who else would take the job anyway that would be a significant improvement? Dont wanna hear Hughton or McCarthy in the frame for it either as I think they are both past it now.

Although I still think Kenny should have taken the job after Micks campaign as him not qualifying is still being used against him now!

NI, with a population not much bigger than Dublin, finished in the same position and on the same points as us. So they played to their seeding and did great if we use the same metric Kenny is being measured by, although they got more points than the 4th seed, so even better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Point 1 - Do you realise Kennys contract is up after 4 games in the nation league? So what do the FAI do, change manager in a group/tournament when they have a chance to secure a playoff spot?

Point 2 - Maybe people in the media who are paid to go to games are now enjoying watching the football Ireland are playing? Some of it is overboard id agree but jesus its miles better than what went before in the last 15 years!

Point 3 - Team doing bad, manager learning the ropes stick with him? Manager turns form around and has team playing well, replace him? So are you saying if Kenny didnt do well in the last 4 games you would give him contract???? Makes loads of sense. Once again you havent named a manager to take over apart from harking back to 25 years ago.

Point 4 - Multiple posters who are pro Kenny have critisised him and some of his decisions, I have. You just seem to hate Kenny as hes not an English born manager whos washed up and looking for a pay day....

On point no.5 - It has been pointed out a number of times that Kenny has changed is philosophy to suit the players he has. You fail to see this and are either just trolling or know nothing about football. You do realise that changing from 4-3-3 to 3-5-2/3-4-3/5-3-2 is changing his philosophy?

On your last line, i refer you to your 3rd point where you state the FAI should replace Kenny.

So they played to their seeding and it's well done and we play to ours and it's "Kenny out"

Comparing like this is pointless anyway. As I said above we were robbed and mismanaged into bankruptcy. Our situation isn't something that can just be fixed with a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think it's unfair at all to have the Nations League as a mini checkpoint in his contract. You've seen the teams we could potentially face. Not getting relegated should be a fairly low bar for Kenny and this team. We don't know the format for the Nations League and how it will impact qualification for Euro 2024, but some are suggesting that relegation will mean we lose out an the automatic play-off spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Replace him with who?

Sacked him 6 months ago and replaced him with who?

Does the fact that the players are clearly playing for him not show he is doing something right?

So draws at home to Portugal and Serbia are routine and big away wins are too? Please point to me where Mick/MON/Trap went away from home and won 3-0?

So we should not celebrate drawing with Portugal at home? remind me of how many 3-0 away wins we have had in the past!!

Ok - in the middle of Covid where they went to Spain for a training camp before the Euros and just played a game, what does it matter? How many times did we play Oman back in the day? Again, most of the Andorra team play professionally and most weaker sides are improving.

Kerr- Still bitter about getting sacked and not having his contract extended.

Brady - Great football but part of the management team of one of the most boring irish sides in years where a squad ignored the managements instructions and nearly beat France away.

Dunne - He's embarrassing himself. He'd rather see Robbie Keane get the job....

Again why wait? FAI is broke and looking for a sponsor given the positive feeling after the last 2/3 months if they dont extend his contract what company would get involved given there is no clarity to whats going on. All players want continuity and they would like to know whats going to happen with the majority of the squad coming out saying his contract should be extended. Again random people on Boards know more than professional footballers..

Ide have no problem with him getting the sack after a disastrous Nations League.

I would still worry that there is no one decent to replace him though but if it was as bad as the start of this campaign then it's understandable he would have to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I swear we could make it to the second round of the Euros and get knocked out by Spain and some people will still say “what do you expect from a man who lost to Luxembourg”.

Then again, you can see there’s been very little to complain about in the last few months when the arguments are that and that we finished third but not close enough to second.

And I think if you’re that dead set against the current manager, then you should probably have someone in mind who can do a better job than him and be able to explain why, instead of just giving some vague response about wanting “someone better”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Losing every match in the Nations League would of course mean we would have to consider his position. That is obvious enough No? We are talking about now though and we are on a good run with a lot of positives and a bit of hope for the future. Personally I don't care when his contract does or doesn't end. Or when it gets renewed. That is an issue for the suits. At some point SK will no longer be Ireland manager. That time is not now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have already said Duffy is Ireland's best attacking asset. However he becomes a liability defensively when he attempts to tap the ball around in the back three. The reason he becomes a liability is because the way Kenny wants the team to play. Duffy is not Paul McGrath.

There is a myth created online that 'attractive' football is the only way to go. Anything else = hoofball as some call it. I am saying mix it up go a bit direct but don't hoof it for the sake of it. Also close the ball down harry - that is a must with limited technical players. The latter was done against Luxembourg and it was noticeable that people on here praised the 'pressing' as it is now called. That should be a given for Irish teams IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why do you think we were in complete free fall before Kenny?

Results wise we had just had two draws with Denmark, one with Switzerland Who have both finished top of their WC groups.

We also managed 10 points from the lower seeds instead of 7.

We were literally a goal away from qualifying directly in that last group game against Denmark.

Pressing should be used against the more limited sides but if we press against the more skilled teams they will rip us to bits.

We have had draws against big sides and wins against lower ranked ones and have also conceded very little so Kenny's tactics and Duffy's playing it out from the back seem to be working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you step back and analyse the Luxembourg game coldly the first 65 minutes really exposed our alarming lack of creativity in midfield and the final third. We were absolutely dreadful and had Luxembourg's perfectly good goal been allowed we'd be having a different conversation now.

Luxembourg should have had two goals but for Bazunu's freakish save in the first half.

I know you can only beat what's put in front of you but I found the performance overall worrying and the final score does not tell the story of that game.

Pragmatism is looking at the players available and tailoring a team accordingly to their strengths and weaknesses. Not trying to get a team to play possession football when they are technically limited is not the way to go about it IMO.

Look at the Welsh team they mix their style. They are not ashamed to use the big lump Kieffer Moore when required as an out ball. They make themselves hard to break down when required.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The population of Croatia is 4 million and they were runners-up at the last WC. Population has SFA to do with a country's performance. If it did, China and India would be streets ahead of every other country in the world.

• Advertisement

Serious rewrite of history there.

I'll agree the midfield were missing for most of the game but.

The Luxembourg goal was rightly ruled out.

We had plenty of chances and a clear cut penalty.

A goalkeeper being great at saving is not some form of cheating or something the way people have this "only won cause of the keeper". He is a member of the team and his save is no more "freakish" than every block, tackle or goal scored. Luxembourg should not have had 2 goals because they could not beat a legitimate player on the Irish team. Primary school waffle talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s only great when you consider that we have so many new young players. It takes time and effort and a lot of planning to get them ready. Some of them are only getting a few minutes playing time with their clubs. They are improving all the time with game time for Ireland.

As I said much earlier in this thread - Rome wasn’t built in a day. Kenny is doing great work with these young lads. It’s a continuation process and I believe he’ll end up with a very good squad and a good team.

Why wait ?

1) Kenny should not be sacked he brought in the young players - cleared the deadwood. Also financially it would make no sense to sack him - given the FAI's troubles

2) Kenny has not done enough to get a new contract - but I would like to see how he does at the end of contract in these NL games

3) A better option might come available than Kenny at the end of his contract or else he might prove that his team can compete against similar level sides - and beat them

4) Kenny is sort of 'minding the house' at the moment a custodian -doing OK but it remains to be scene whether he should be given the keys longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

When is the draw for the nation's league? Looking at the potential teams we could get, some good sides in league B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I honestly think it would have been better for Kenny's project had we been relegated from the Nations League and had a few games against weaker opposition (in relation to the teams in B) to build some confidence and help the team develop.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement