Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lenihan extremely unlucky, if he played any other position he would probably be a nailed on starter. I'm sure he will win a few caps over the next few years but hard to see him ever nailing down a spot, although you never know. Did he play midfield for Blackburn a few seasons ago or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No he played as a holding midfielder mostly when he broke through but hasn't played there in five years. Played in midfield for our U21s for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Jason Knight with another 90 mins for Derby as they won for a third game in a row. Championship survival still possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If Derby let anyone go I would be shocked. Any sales of first team players would pretty much guarantee them relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He has played well for Ireland recently, much improved performances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe they do. I don't know much about it tbh but I would think playing in the championship next year is much more preferable for their finances than league 1. As Sunderland have learned, league 1 is not that easy to get out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Knight has got a year and a half left on his contract. There's no way he's going to sign a new deal to play League 1 football next season. Even if Derby somehow stay up, I doubt Derby would be able to even compete with other clubs on wages. The club is in a dire financial situation, they will want to get whatever they can for Knight rather than let him go for nothing. For me, the only question is whether he leaves in January or the Summer.

Not doubting that. My point is that they would be crazy to let him go in January when their championship survival is at stake. Do they lose anything by waiting until summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tricky situation to be in... on the one hand, selling him may be the financial difference in them surviving as a club till the summer, but on the other hand, keeping him may keep them in the Championship which would be worth more than any cash injection they receive if they go down to league one.

Would have to think they if they can afford to hang onto him for just a few more months, that they will, as going down would be so hugely destructive.

One option might be striking a deal with a Prem club to buy Knight for a slightly cut-down fee on the proviso that he stays with Derby on loan... get some much needed money in in the short term, and keep their chances of staying up alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is Knight a difference maker like that, really? Is he capable of keeping them up? He's talented im sure, but there is every chance he'll be kept and they still go down.

• Advertisement

Totally, but I'd say if they lose him then whatever chance they had would be lost. Whenever I watch them, he always looks one of their most influential and effective players, along with Tom Lawrence.

Any fear of a further points deduction? They have 3 suspended right? It would be some achievement to stay up after losing 21 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Whatever club went down instead of them would deserve to be retired as a sporting association.

Think the one thing we can all agree on is hopefully he stays the **** away from Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Article in today’s Indo reprinted from the Telegraph about Declan Rice without mentioning once he played for Ireland and saying how he couldn’t understand the England speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Knight might actually have a chance of getting into the XI as a midfielder if he did go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Wouldnt have much objection to him going to burnley either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Connolly to 'boro confirmed.

• Advertisement

Good move for Connolly. He'll be starting weekly (hopefully) and Wilder strikes me as a no nonsense coach which should be good for him. No matter how things ended with Sheffield United Wilder took them from mid table League One to a top half finish in the PL in four years so he's a decent coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Knight's next 2 years will be really interesting. He could stay in the championship and have a solid career earning plenty of money and be comfortable. Lining up to be our next Alan Browne in a way. He could also look at the PL or perhaps europe and try to push his career on to the next level. Burnley seem to be an outlier of sorts and the only PL team who play in an old fashioned way. I haven't seen anything linking him to them though. At the same time 50k a week would be hard for any young lad to turn down. A better move might be to one of the relegated teams from the PL and see if he can get to the PL that way.

Unless Connolly's attitude has changed then he might as well have stayed out of the squad at Brighton. The lad isn't an out and out striker either. Probably more of a winger at this stage. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see him getting any better. Hopefully his loan move means that Evan Ferguson will be a regular in the match day squads going forward.

Idah hasn't been very good at all. He seems very rigid with a serious lack of creativity. His hold up play is also questionable. A good attitude though so there is hope that he can keep learning.

Collins ends his drought with a goal for Cardiff.

Goal for Robinson, looked offside, but linesman didn't spot it

Straight red for Mowatt, looks like Molumby will get a chance to get a few starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Kelleher starts against Chelsea. Be interesting to see how he gets on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Anthony Gordon with a brace for Everton today. He's a current England U-21 international but is eligible for both Ireland and Scotland. Can't see him cutting it at senior level for England with the talent they have but he'd certainly make a good edition to Ireland if he ever jumped ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Kelleher couldn’t do anything about that kovacic rocket !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Dont think Kelleher will be happy with his punch clearence from the corner. Gets decent distance on it but it goes very central. Nothing he can do about the shot though.

Jonjo Kenny qualifies also. Might be a more realistic target in the short term and he'd probably jump at the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jaysus, that's very harsh. Under serious pressure, no protection from a series of corners, got a good punch on it, and a lucky potshot ends up top bins.

Thought he was excellent today, the calmest person in Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ridiculously harsh. Ruduiger was throwing himself into get to it before him, got 20 yards + on the punch. You couldn't ask him to do much more with it.

I think some have the Irish blinkers on here. Harsh? Maybe. But thats what it takes to play at the top. The punch cant go to a central location following a corner. It needs to go out either flank away from attackers. As i said it had decent length on it but poor direction. His distribution was too notch. Couldnt do anything about pulisics goal or the Kovacic shot.

In theory, yes - but tbh, I don’t think you’d normally get too many complaints once the clearance clears the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some competition arriving for Coleman at Everton with the arrival of Rangers fullback -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I'd imagine the next 18 months will be a transitional period in Coleman being replaced at Everton. He is 33 after all and has had his fair share of knocks. We should be ok in that area even after Coleman retires. Doherty is 4 years younger, O'Shea is capable there, there's still some hope O'Connor will make it, or perhaps we could convince Jonjoe Kenny to come aboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sadly Coleman is not at Premiership standard, hasnt been for awhile, ther was a time when he was probably our top performing player , but never been the same since Wales. I find it sad watching such a great player, with the right attitiude, so out of his depth these days.

That is BS. What is premier league standard? He has been playing in the EPL for years since the Wales match and is still highly thought of at Everton. Everton have been doing reasonable well and would be an average EPL team. By definition he is EPL standard and is far from the worst player in the league.

Now perhaps you do not rate him but maybe that reflects that EPL standard is not as high as you might perceive it to be.

The whole Burnley team, for example, have proved repeatedly that they are EPL standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

It will either go very well or very badly for Connolly at Boro. Wilder comes across as a no nonsense type of guy and he's unlikely to be as accepting as Potter with regards to any potential off field mishaps from Connolly.

I feel a stern hand is what Connolly possibly needs to get him going. Wilder seems to have been an inspirational figure at Sheffield United and got that squad playing way above themselves. Fingers crossed. Connolly while still young is not a kid anymore. He needs to produce now for himself.

He will need to get his mind right and keep his head down to succeed!

I support Everton - I watch Coleman, and he is not at Premiership standard now, read my post I said he was a great players - so less of the BS - and Burnley are a decent team , but individually are Chapionchip standard bar 3 or 4 .

• Advertisement

Your post doesn't even make sense. If Burnley are championship standard they would be in the championship. I am thinking your definition of what is EPL standard is over inflated. Any player who plays in the EPL is by definition premier league standard. Are you saying that Coleman is not good enough for any team in the EPL?

You often hear 'premier league standard' and 'international standard' mentioned in this forum. They are fairly meaningless terms when you have teams like Man City and Norwich in the same division.

Is your point that Coleman has made Everton worse on average due to his presence since he returned from the 2017 injury?

Jonjo Kenny would be worth an approach to give us extra depth. Surprised he hasnt got more of a mention. Good season a Schalke and a regular in Evertons squad.

Your post makes no sense - Burnley are showing Championship form, they would be favourites for relegation, if you dont understand what I mean by Premiership standard maybe ask a United , Arsenal , liverpool or Spurs fan would they be happy to recruit Coleman as ther starting full back, you will soon get your answer quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

You have literally just shown you don't know what premier league standard means if your definition is just teams around the top 6

Long term there might even be doubts that RB could be his best position. Has always performed well when playing in midfield as a 6 and pretty sure he's started most his games this season in midfield.

For what its worth I didnt even mention Chelsea or City - Put it another way, not sure Villa or West Ham or Leicester or Wolves fans would be over the moon about signing Coleman as ther starting full back - I have already stated Coleman was one of my favourite players , his attitude is spot on in comparison to many at the club, but maybe having seen him more often than you guys, I realise his best days are sadly gone ,

Odubeko's season-long loan deal has been cancelled. Not a good sign for the player.

Not much time for the lad seeing as he's not got much time for us, but if it's a similar issue with Parrott last year of bad loan choice then West Ham might as well call him back and find him a more suitable loan. Could see him dropping a division or two for a loan.

Hopefully Okoflex listens to Crawfords and his advice regarding a loan move if West Ham look to send him out.

Also see Conor Masterson has returned to QPR after Cambridge didn't want to extend his loan.

Lee O'Connor going ok at Tranmere No?

• Advertisement

Has played 424 minutes in the league in 9 games. Has started four games and played the full 90 in each game. Just shy of averaging 13mins off the bench over the five games he's came on in, and he's been an unused sub in 4 games.

Didn't make the match day squad in four games but two of those were when he first joined and a third one a couple of weeks later. Was probably still trying to build fitness at that stage given he joined them after the season started.

One good thing for him at least is Tranmere are undefeated in any game he's played in the league winning 8 and drawing 1. He's mostly played in midfield for them though and wouldn't be surprised if long term that's his best position with the ability to cover RB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement