Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just seen that Graham kavanaghs son is tipping along nicely at underage level forBoro, seems to know where the goals are anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah I've seen clips of Calum Kavanagh and he looks a tidy player. Middlesbrough have got two young exciting strikers in him and Coburn.

Hopefully he keeps finding the back of the net as the U19s will need it come March if they have any chance of qualifying for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ridiculously fast feet - seems to take about 3 footsteps for every 1 taken by the players around him 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you want a laugh this morning, check out comments from the Aberdeen manager on McGrath turning them down.

Didn't look one bit fazed making his international debut away to Portugal, but the pressures of playing for Aberdeen are too much for him 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hoping last weekend was big moment for Idah ,

He's a big powerful lad who can move, I'm hoping he gets a shot of confidence and the penny drops that he can be a real handful ,

How good is Festy ? i have't seen much of him myself , he seems very fast ,

Conor Coventry joins MK Dons on loan for the remainder of the season while Luton recall Peter Kioso from his loan with MK Dons.

Kioso was having a good season with MK Dons so unless Luton's first choice RB picked up an injury it's a bad move for Kioso who'll probably find himself on the bench mostly.

There's such a big gap between League 1 and the Championship. Jack Taylor looked like a Rolls Royce of a midfielder for Peterborough in League 1 last season, but since stepping up he's found it tough. The same goes for Szmodics who looked unreal in League 1, racked up 15 goals and 8 assists, but has not had the same impact.

If Coventry is going to feature for us, then realistically he's going to need to be a standout player for MK Dons, and even then it'll still be difficult for him to make the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hard to get excited about League 1 players to be honest unless they make the step up to Championship. The same can be said about PL2 and the youth team players. Nowhere near stepping up to international level.

Hopefully McGrath can make a move to the Championship and add to our contingent there playing at a really decent level. If we try to bring players like Jonjo Kenny onboard it adds to our depth of decent players too.

Everton, Burnley, QPR, Borussia Monchengladbach and Real Sociedad are all interested in Harry Vaughan. Apparently Burnley and Everton have made bids.

• Advertisement

Hopefully this season doesn't soar Taylor's reputation and might still be able to get a move rather than drop back to League One again. If Transfermarkt is correct he's out of contract in the summer but feel that could be wrong.

I'm not too sure on Coventry but he'll at least get some game time. MK Dons are badly stuck for midfielders with first choice Kasumu possibly out long term with an injury and the guy that replaced him was recalled by Blackpool. He'll more or less be up against Josh McEachran to partner O'Riley in midfield.

Alan Browne scored again last night and has been in decent form in general for Preston lately. Kenny is a fan of Browne and he's getting back on form just in time for a possible recall into the team come March.

League 1 isn't great, but it's miles above any underage standard. Did anyone see Okoflex's goal last night? The state of the defending is abysmal, Okoflex wouldn't even get it as easy as that against Cobh Ramblers.

In other news, Connolly has done the most Connolly thing ever and gotten a tattoo of himself. No lack of confidence anyway.

Idiot, but each to their own I suppose.

Yeh League 1 is a higher higher standard than youth football but I don't think we should be looking at it for regular squad players I don't think. Unless it's to tie players down that might make the step up in future. Really the standard is poor, a bit like the SPL. We have enough players between PL and Championship.

As well as their interest in Jason Knight there's some talk that Leeds are possibly looking at other players at Derby and Ebosele could possibly be one of them. Stuart Dallas has mostly played RB/RWB for them this season and outside of him Cody Drameh has played a couple of games there as has Jamie Shackleton. 

Drameh pushed for a loan move to Cardiff and Shackleton is a CM that can play RB. They've also played a couple of CBs on the right so Ebosele possibly viewed as a long term option given Dallas is 31 this season. He fits the bill of a Bielsa type player and given how raw he still is might be looked at as someone easier to mould into a Bielsa type player over the next couple of seasons to replace Dallas long term.

Harry Vaughan whose played with the U18s and U19s is wanted by Burnley who had a 200k bid rejected last summer supposedly. Suppose to be interest from FC Utchert, FC Twente, and Monchengladbach too. Was to be called up to U19s in November but there was an issue with his passport and had to play with U18s instead.

Like fair enough if you want to get a tattoo to mark something like your debut or first goal I assume, because he hasn't worn 44 since his debut season you could get something small like the date rather than going all out and getting a full portrait of the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, what is the story with the little knee high children playing football behind him?

Best guess is it's something to do with most young kids playing football dream of becoming a footballer. The kids in the tattoo probably something to do with Connolly making that dream come through or whatever.

I've seen worse, but it's a poor tattoo for someone that has money to burn. Could easily afford to fly in someone whose actually good and get it done if you wanted something like that rather than something smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

IMO, it epitomises the headspace Connolly is in right now. No issue with tattoos but it’s just celebrating a bit of mediocrity when you’ve done nothing unique in your career to date. Lacks a bit of ambition.

Thinks he is the big shot because he’s making huge coin compared to the average joe even though he’s on loan at Middlesbrough and has been shifted out of the Irish team crying out for goal scorers.

He has all the talent in the world but his head is being turned by the glitz and glamour of being famous.

The trajectory he’s on, he’ll fade away and be another has been. Disappointing from an Irish perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes just remembering what will likely be the high point of his career. Those two goals against Tottenham are his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s on 25k a week is he?

a lad who isn’t bright, has bad taste, associates flashness with coolness and has a large bank balance will make these decisions.

Hopefully Bree is out long term as don't think Kioso can sign for another club this season unless he goes somewhere whose season is only starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Doherty did well when he came on for spurs !

Doherty assists for the Spurs winner in the 96th minute with virtually the last kick of the game!

Delighted for him, the abuse he gets is completely over the top.

It's gone so far I don't think he could ever get the fans back on his side.

MK Dons eyeing up Devoy as a replacement for Matt O'Riley whose signing for Celtic. Would be a great move for Devoy given the style of football they try play and a few Irish lads currently there already.

All a bit harsh on Connolly , who cares about his taste in tattoo's

Yes he has struggled to get into a top 10 premier league side's staring 11 this season but not sure nay other Irish striker would fair any better,

The lads has got loads talent & hopefully if he can play regularly at Boro he will turn his career around,

• Advertisement

Looks like very strong interest, but it also makes a lot of sense as MK Dons have just lost both of their first choice holding midfielders (Ethan Robson returned from loan to Blackpool). Hopefully the move goes through, it's a logical step up for Devoy and it'd be great to see if both himself and Coventry can be effective in a decent ball playing team.

It's a very good move. As you said they're a ball playing team and they're a team whose midfield has been hit hard this month. Along with Robson, and O'Riley leaving they're also without Kasumu through injury whose normally first choice but has been unlucky with injuries this season. Of all the midfielders they have Devoy would be most like O'Riley so he won't be brought over just to add depth to midfield imo.

Biggest worry with Devoy moving to the UK has always been finding a team that suits the way he plays and has probably found the perfect team in MK Dons ATM. Though it might take him awhile to get up to speed as he hasn't played a competitive game in two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Kelleher starts

Finn being linked to Eintracht Frankfurt. Would make sense as I believe he's out of contract this Summer, also I'm not sure he really looks suited to Spanish football either.

Frankfurt supporters seem to think his name is hilarious.

Ist das letzte ein Witz, den ich nicht verstehe oder hat der tatsächlich vier (!) Vor- und keinen Nachnamen?

Translated from German

Is the last one a joke I don't get or does he actually have four (!) first names and no last names?

Quiet night for Kelleher and a cup final to look forward to next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Thought he looked comfortable. Did whatever he was asked to do well. Good save to tip onto the bar early on. Certainly not out of his depth.

• Advertisement

Bar the free kick there was nothing for him to really do. Would have had tougher training sessions this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

One decent save from a Martinelli hit around 70 minutes and dealt well with set pieces. Good night's work for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Some extremely composed passing under pressure too. Just never looks flustered.

Missed that and live score only had Arsenal down as having the one shot on target. So assumed nothing happened for the few minutes I missed. Good night all round for him with the clean sheet.

Only for he stayed at Liverpool this season to be number 2 I still feel he would have been picked to start for us in September. And as good as Travers is playing with Bournemouth he's still third choice at the moment because the other two are better with the ball at their feet as well as sweeping up balls in behind.

Though Bazunu had a couple of hairy moments in two games for us was it. One where he took out the Qatar player I think it was and the other was against Serbia were he missed the ball.

Doherty played extremely well the other night when he came on. We need to remember that we aren't flushed for PL players so it's imperative for us that he stays in or around the Spurs squad getting game time. He's better than Emerson Royal in my view who is dreadful.

• Advertisement

Its going to be very intreating to see who's road turns out to be the better one,

Bazunu on loan playing every week or Kelleher staying around top class players & playing the odd time ,

I feel Bazunu is the better shot stopper but Kelleher is better on the ball & at one on ones,

Remember Kelleher is a late starter in goal keeping so although different ages they are probably as the same stage of the path to being a top keeper,

Kelleher was the one earmarked for greatness by the FAI coaches from far back. Bazunu seemingly a later developer as he never got a contract out of the trials he went on.

Sugarman might know more about him but not sure Bazunu had the trials in England like a lot of young players did. Only thing that shows up is Celtic had him over for a trial but looks like he had his Rovers debut before this happened and would have been under contract. Probably didn't want to pay the fee City paid in the end.

Think there was talk too that finishing his education in Ireland before moving was something his family wanted. Rovers were paying for him to attend Ashfield College. Alan Browne was similar apparently. Had contract offers at 16 but his family wanted him to finish his education which is why he signed with Cork for a couple of years before moving over after completing his LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Have to say I agree with this. I honestly don't understand the grief he gets - granted he had a couple of poor games for us & obviously he's lost some confidence on pitch due to lack of game time but the relentless bashing he gets is completely unwarranted.

I have to say the talk of 'his head being turned' - where does this come from? Idle speculation. Not like any of his close mates are on here.

Seems people had built him up as the next big thing for us and now that he's not delivering they are on his back. Do you think he'd rather not be banging in goals in the prem & for Ireland? Honesty, I really don't get it.

Hard to tell really. We haven't seen much of Kelleher, he's only played five more games at club level than Bazunu has at international level so it's difficult to judge who'll go further in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Matt Sean O'Riley, must have some Irish connections you'd think? His wiki says he has played U16 and U18 for England and is eligible for Norway and Denmark, no mention of Ireland. Irish connections must be further back than Grandparents.

I’m going on asking him on Instagram years back had he been on trials and he said “a few”, didn’t specify beyond that.

for kelleher three year back I heard second hand that the fai coaches really saw him as a different level to what they usually came across.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With a name like that you should be eligible to play for Ireland regardless of if you have any Irish connections or not

I think he’s young and could turn it around. Open minded about his prospects though I would guess he won’t make it in the premier league as he’s small for his position. I need to see him more but I also doubt the variety in his game. If he came through in the decades previous he would surely be an out and out winger not a centre forward.

I watched him vs Reading. He was ok. Missed a big chance when he got space in the box.

I also think he gives off the air of a flash bellend.

Travers might be as good as either of them yet. look at the moves Ramsdale has gotten after a solid season with Bournemouth. Travers isn't far off that if this season keeps going the way it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement