Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

irish supporter saying “his legs have gone”. See also Glenn whelan, Shane Duffy..whelan kept his place on merit at 36 or 37.

colemans time is coming to a close but when I look at the Irish team sheet I don’t see him as a weakness. Plenty of other players I do.

frankly since omobamidele is crocked and O’Shea is feeling his way back this whole thing about packing off Coleman when he’s the only player getting picked regularly in the premier league is so so stupid.

your outlook on Coleman matches mine? Keep picking him till he shows bad form for Ireland?

Maybe Kenny is absolutely nailing Obafemi into the next squad and I’m projecting my own view of Obafemi onto Kenny. We will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Johnny Kenny played his first game since his move to Celtic after picking up an injury after moving. Played 62mins for the B team in the Glasgow cup today. Similar Bosun Lawal played his first game since the U19 internationals in November for Celtic B at the weekend. Good to see both lads back in time for the elite round of fixtures in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

New contract for Kenny formally announced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

My bad, you’re right we’ve been playing with a back 3 since the beginning of the last qualifying campaign. Anyway these are friendlies, so an opportunity to try other options in that position as Coleman won’t last forever. If it was a qualifier he’d still be starting despite being past his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'm not sure how much of a mark in Coleman's favour is starting and finishing 5 games when Everton have lost 4 of those 5 games and their defence was absolutely shambolic in the most recent one.

(Also, I assume you mean last 5 Premier League games as he didn't start against Boreham Wood in the FA Cup)

Fair points. On the other hand; He’s the only Irish premier league player getting picked by his manager. Seems a strange target for fans, some of whom seem desperate for him to start playing badly for Ireland. So desperate they pretend he already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Coleman has just taken over from Whelan in regards to being criticised every time an Ireland match is on regardless what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder how he'd do as a 6? His problem at fullback is that he can get done in a straight one-v-one these days, but he's always been a brilliant reader of the game, and one of our more composed players in possession. Could shuffle across into DM as another option, since we're fairly short there outside of Cullen (and in theory McCarthy, but he's only played about 30 minutes of league football this year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shame about McCann, we're in dire need of options for a six and we'll be kicking ourselves if it turns out to be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It was positive stuff listening to Jim Crawford and really made you feel our fortunes could be changing, not too long ago it felt like we had next to nothing coming through whereas now you have potentially exciting players not being guaranteed spots in the u21 squad. McCann may or may not be a loss but not going to lose sleep over him.

Don't think he'll be a lose. From Crawford's comments on the podcast it seems McCann is switching as he'll have an easier route into senior football with NI. Crawford spoke with him a few weeks ago and in conversation told him he's behind a number of players.

Like others the 2002 age group was affected big time with underage football stopping for two years. It's the main reason the U20s team is being named. Just hope they keep it and it's not just being used for Crawford to have a look at lads he'll be calling up when the new campaign starts.

He'd definitely would have been in there with the U21s next campaign, we haven't got any 2002 midfielders currently involved but he's not really head and shoulders above everyone currently with the U19s. Plus Joe Hodge is back from injury now and hopefully the year out with a back injury hasn't affected him too much. He looked a step above others at U17s which McCann played and went to the U19s euros two month later as well.

No sleight on Glen Whelan but Coleman at his best was a top drawer full back. He should have moved when opportunities were offered to him but stayed loyal to Everton.

What happened v Wales in 2017 that time was a disgrace. Neil Taylor got a red card but he should have been hung drawn and quartered.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheering on the country in which he gets paid and has friends from in a tournament in which we hadn't even qualified for is now a worry about commitment?

That's sillly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He broke his leg at the worst moment in his career if he was looking for a big move

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Absolutely agree, ridiculous stuff. Most Irl fans support premier league teams anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Man cheers nearest neighbours and current place of work on in tournament own country didn’t qualify for. Commitment questioned.

Absolutely ridiculous assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Another tournament sitting on the sidelines looking in. Hard to get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

CJ Egan-Riley made his Champions League debut for City last night in just his second appearance for the club. He previously played for Ireland at U16 level and remains eligible. He is similar to Dara O'Shea in that he can play across the back line in all positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I mean you'd expect Obafemi to be in the squad based on form. We just don't have enough goal threats to not have him in it. With Idah gone it's a no brainer. parrot can probably be fill in for Idah in the role.

On Coleman I think he keeps his place for the moment but let's be honest with Daragh O'Shea back and Omabamdele injured he is probably on borrowed time. No reflection on him. Age catches up on everyone. For the friendlies you'd surely be looking at Jimmy Dunne or McGuinness getting a run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any appetite for Conor Ronan to get a run? Seems to be doing a job at St Mirren. He scored the winner the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's just not a high enough level you'd feel. Not that we're blessed with options either though. I know Jamie McGrath was capped while at St.Mirren but he hasn't exactly done a lot in a green jersey either though.

I would have Jamie McGrath in my first 11 any day of the week based on previous performances in green. The SPL is as good a level as league 1 where we pull some of our players from

Hopefully he gets a call up next week. We've plenty of workhorses in midfield, and not enough players more known for their technical ability.

Think himself, Danny McNamara, Marcus Harness, and Mark Sykes will possibly be the new faces brought in for these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,146 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

New kit released today. Supposed to be based on the Irish farming landscape with some "40 shades" marketing tagline but I think it looks too much like camo. Not a big fan myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Hideous as usual.

I hope that’s not a home kit. It’s horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Festy won't making the forthcoming squad, but Obafemi is in contention apparently.

• Advertisement

Crawford's comments the other day sounded like Ebosele would be staying with the U21s. Hopefully McNamara is being called into the squad because it will be disappointing if it's Cyrus Christie. While he's playing well at the moment he's not gonna displace Doherty or Coleman, and isn't a long term solution either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,146 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep. The training kit is similar but with added white and green.

€65 and €50 for these warm up half zips and jersey. They must have got their inspiration from the Lidl or Dunne Stores Ireland kits for these beauties. Umbro have the contract until 2026, so we'll probably get another 6 kits between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Id say they were watching too much Fortycoats and overdosed

Harvey Neville? might as well go the whole hog and call up his Inter Miami team-mate, Romeo Beckham as well 😂

Other than seeing Burns play for Pat's, I don't know much about any of these lads. Would any of them have a realistic prospect of breaking through to the senior team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭trashcan

Delighted to see Daragh Burns get a call up. Serious potential. Sadly, as a Pats fan, I don’t think he’ll be with us too long.

The last home and away kits were beauts and my first time buying any kits in around 10 years. Made all the more better that there was no sponsor logo splashed across the front of it.

They've released some cracking LOI kits lately which makes it more disappointing when you see what gets released for the national team. Very similar to the rugby kit from two years ago. If the trim on the sleeves was neater and had coloured trim around the collar wouldn't be so bad.

Will be interesting to see if his switch has been finalised in time for the U21s game. Dan McDonnell did say it's nearly finalised but U20s friendlies are glorified training matches which would allow him play in this game, if the opposition had no objections but not line out for the U21s in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

James Furlong has every chance of making it and breaking into the senior squad over the next few years. He is highly regarded at Brighton.

Hodge was once a real prospect at City before his loan move to Derry and subsequent transfer to Wolves. He badly needs another loan move come the end of the season.

Sotona was linked with Chelsea before he moved back to England with Brentford. He is another player who would be one to watch if he got a loan move next season with a realistic chance of first team football. I'd throw Oko-Flex too into that category. Two pacey wingers with good potential.

• Advertisement

Flynn Clarke played a few games for Peterborough last season but has only featured for Norwich's U23s since moving this season. English born and played for Scotland's U19s in friendlies two years ago. Not sure if this is his first time in with us. His grandfather played for Northern Ireland so qualifies for them too.

Surprised to see Dara Costelloe isn't there as he's been in good form for Burnley's U23s since they moved him to CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good information Johnny. Its a strange age group, I'd say a lot of our fans don't know much about these guys as they haven't played internationally in a while as you've said. Most of them seem to still be playing u23s football in England whereas a lot of the 21s squad are now getting some senior football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I thought we were meant to be getting a new crest? If they're bringing a new kit out now, they must not expect to unveil that for at least another year so i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not a good sign for Duffy's long term future at Brighton that a RB and LB start in a back 3 ahead of him

Veltman has probably played more games at CB than RB in his career, so I'd say he's more a CB that can play RB and Brighton have moved to a more 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond that can easily switch to a back three with Cucurella being able to drop into the back three.

But it's probably gonna be hard for Duffy to get consistent starts as he'll be competing with Webster to partner Dunk. Veltman has become an important player for Potter and don't see him dropping out.

• Advertisement

Nathan Collins starts for Burnley. Burnley have no game next week because of the FA Cup so this is Collins last game before the internationals.

Collins with a straight red in the 92nd minute and gave away a penalty in the process.

Doherty starts for Spurs and hopefully he can continue his good form from the previous two games against tougher opposition today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Got a straight red at the end with the game over. Not sure what he done but a needless suspension now at club level. Hopefully a learning curve in keeping discipline though presuming he was indeed in the wrong/reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He was chasing back Toney who was clean through after Burnley had pushed most of the team forward in search of an equaliser. He shouldered Toney, mostly in the back inside the box before he got his shot away so it was a straight red for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Other than that he had played reasonably well in what I'd seen of the game.

Doherty is having a poor day out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement