Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Would be a good move for him. If Sheffield united fail to go up it could be his last chance of a PL move. Take it with both hands and dont just be happy to play regularly in the championship.

Hendricks has been poxy since joining qpr. His arrival also coincided with their run of poor form. Hard to see where he goes from here. Wont be a huge amount of championship clubs offering him a deal either with his wage demands. We dont really have a huge amount of midfielders though. James McCarthy looks done.

Will Smallbone with a rare start today against Watford. Hopefully he can impress today and get more regular minutes.

Newcastle will probably cover most of his wages just to get him out on loan. They might as well because otherwise he'll just be sitting at home collecting his 40k.

If we're talking about league 1 and spl midifielders you'd have to look at Smallbone for a call up. See what he has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Absolutely… if he starts playing games at club level.

Hard to see where those starts will come from. Looks to be playing up front alongside Che Adams in their 4-2-2-2 formation so far.

Is there a channel out there doing English comms?

I'm watching it on Peacock. US streaming site that a friend lets me use for matches.

Southampton could actually be playing a 4-2-3-1 as he also looks to be dropping deeper when they don't have the ball but has found himself at times up alongside Che Adams.

• Advertisement

No surprise to see Smallbone replaced at half time for an actual striker. No one for Southampton was really up to much and could have replaced a couple of players but unfortunately for Smallbone he was the odd one out today in what could have been a 4-2-2-2/4-4-1-1 as he dropped deep at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cashin getting plaudits from Rooney -> https://the72.co.uk/265887/rooney-heaps-praise-on-incredible-derby-county-man-after-bournemouth-defeat/

Surely a cert to make the u21 squad.

Another clean sheet for Travers yesterday. In serious form.

Crawford mentions him in the podcast. Mentions about how well he's doing for Derby lately and talks about him being a left sided CB which we lack he says. Doesn't say too much about being included bar he's in his thoughts for inclusion. Probably can't fully come out and say he's included but can't see any reason why he wouldn't be called up though.

Sounds promising. I really think both himself and McGuinness are the two stand-out options at this level now. Given how they compliment each other positionally and are showing the best form, they should both start. For all the centre backs that we have in the senior team, I think Cashin might actually offer us something different to the rest. It's still early days, but his ability on the ball is very, very good. He had the most touches of any player in the Barnsley game, and again against Bournemouth. Given the way he's just been dropped into the team and started performing instantly, it suggests to me that he's just a natural footballer.

He's out of contract this Summer as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made a jump up to a level that people aren't expecting. More and more teams are looking for defenders to be more like midfielders. Not good for the likes of Duffy who is a top defender, but limited. Cashin on the other hand fits the profile, and I could see the likes of Potter having him at progressive team like Brighton.

If Derby get their **** together and can finally sign new players can see him signing a new contract. Though that probably depends what happens if a takeover does happen. Could be down in League One starting off with a 15 points deduction and a team even more down to the bare bones than it already is.

I think McGuinness along with Dunne should get senior international minutes this year without a doubt. We have an abundance of good centre backs that will lend itself to playing a back 3. Along with Dara O'Shea, Niall Collins and Omobamidele we look to be sorted for the next 10 years in that position anyway. I'd imagine Cashin is a few years off a senior squad at the moment. He should be looking to stay in the championship.

It's midfielders we need !! That's the big concern.

Good to see that it's live on rte too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Make that 21 players with 3 keepers. Small enough squad but encouraging the amount of boys playing first team football at a very decent level with the under 21's.

• Advertisement

A couple from the U20s will probably be added to the squad next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Does Joel Bagan remain eligible for Scotland?

Possibly. I can't see him staying in our 21's for long though. We don't have a huge amount of options at left full of left wing back so probably only a matter of time before a call up. McClean is probably finished and Stevens hasn't featured much due to injury, form and having lost his place. He is 32 in July also.

He's overage anyway come July, unless they actually qualify and can then play in the finals next year.

Good piece on rte.ie by Gary Rogers re the GKs. I'd agree that Kelleher will start 1 game. Obviously between Travers and Bazunu then for a start.

Good write up on Travers here. Id be suprised if a PL team dont fork out big money for him this summer if Bournemouth dont go up. If they do go up he will be there number 1 and i think he will be our number 1 too if in the PL.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/mark-travers-the-irish-shot-stopper-heralded-as-the-best-goalkeeper-in-the-championship-this-season-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ogbene goal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Robinson also broke his drought. Hopefully a few of these lads are just hitting form at the right time for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Obafemi apparently has refused an U21 call up because he's only interested in a senior call up now.

Prediction: He's not going to be in the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He probably won't be in this squad (and I don't think he is demanding it) but I can see where he is coming from. I'll give him credit for honesty. Not sure everyone will cut him slack though

If Obafemi isnt in senior squad i think it will raise a some questions. He has to be in contention. If not then you'd feel Kenny will use this refusal as a stick. His finishing has improved as has his fitness and attitude. To my mind he is playing better than Connolly and Collins. Playing at a higher level than Keane and Parrott.

Maybe he needs to drop to League 1 or SPL LOL.

• Advertisement

If it's because of Crawford's comments at the press conference then to me he's talking past tense. That Obafemi has said it to him months ago (which I think Crawford talked about in October or November) he's not joining up with the U21s, rather than he turned us down again this window when he was asked about him.

“Look, Michael has made it clear to us before that he sees himself as a senior international player. It’s unfortunate from an Under-21s perspective but I’ve had a conversation with his agent and that’s where it’s at,” Crawford said, having previously worked with him at Under-21 level following his senior cap under Martin O’Neill in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen Kenny out in Dundrum trying on a nice new navy suit last night,

To be fair he looked the part & his missus thought he looked fantastic ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Obafemi is obviously tearing up the championship with his 5 goals this season and can't be seen with the kids.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

4 in his last 8 in fairness.

I’d say his last experience under Crawford didn’t endear him to going back to the 21s either… played totally out of position, they hadn’t a notion what to do with him. To be honest for anything less than a senior call up he’s probably right to stay where he’s at and keep establishing his club career right now, after things have started to click at last. Should be getting a senior call up though.

Crawford played him CF, and played CF in the three games he started. Only came on on the wings in the games that he was brought on as a sub. And one of those was the Italy game where he came on when we were down to ten men.

He played him completely isolated as a back to goal CF, like a target man. It’s Obafemi’s worst role. He’s grand if he’s in a 2, out wide in a 3, or central in a 3 with players playing close to him and creating some space for him. But standing him up on his own and launching balls at his head from distance is never gonna work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

If Kenny doesn't pick him then you really have to think he has an axe to grind with him. He isn't the greatest player in the world but he is showing form in the championship and deserves to be in the squad on merit

just don’t think he rates him. Think Kenny wants a footballer first and a scorer second. Obafemi needs to develop as a footballer and he ain’t scoring that much

I quite like him as a footballer tbh. Causes loads of problems stretching defences, and running at people. Decent touch, and decent pass on him too. I mean, in comparison to our other options in those areas I wouldn't see him as inferior as a footballer. I'd have him ahead of Connolly in almost every aspect these days. Very similar threat, but much physically stronger on the ball.

Obafemi scores again.

Bagan with an assist for Cardiff. I really think he should have been called up. Particularly as the upcoming games are friendlies and he has dual nationality, as well as the fact he has been in terrific form for the last few months.

• Advertisement

Connolly’s advantage is he’s played well in an Irish jersey for Kenny

Obafemi with a brace. Simply has to be in the next squad.

As a senior he's played alright for Kenny... but no more than that. I mean, he looked a nailed on starter when Kenny came in, and he's since just played himself into being an option off the bench. Robinson, Ogbene, and McGrath all look to have pushed ahead of him in the pecking order to start.

You'd hope that with his form we'll get to at least see what Obafemi can do now anyway, up to 6 goals in his last 9 now, and bang in form.

i was referring to 21s, Connolly’s been average as a senior player for Ireland

Delighted for Oba. No doubt some on here will try to justify it if he is left out.

Has to be in now along with Connolly, Parrott and Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You'd think if he is let out he might decide to try attract interest from Nigeria

Definitely should be in the Irish squad given current form

Thats a real fear

Despite what some think we really dont have enough scoring forwards playing at a decent level to not include him and risk losing him.

I actually like him as a baller. Not overy technical. Just raw pace with decent finishing thrown in. You cant beat a bit of direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kenny seems to stay loyal to those he has previously worked with meaning he'll likely go with Connolly, Robinson, Parrott, Keane and maybe Collins. Ogbene and McGrath are nailed on picks outside of those. I don't really expect him to pick Obafemi, at all. In fact I'd be shocked if he did.

I'd love to be wrong as I'd like to see him get into the mix for us but I just don't see it right now. Hopefully he'll be available and will have finished the season in consistently good form for the games we have then in the Nation's League and he can get selected at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He has been doing well recently and he obviously has a good instinct in the box. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think a player should be turning down the U-21s, especially with his record at that time. He's the kind of ego who if you bring him in he could cause problems unless he is first choice. Kenny has a fairly content squad so it must be a tricky decision to bring in someone who doesn't really respect anyone unless they agree with his own high opinion of himself.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

Surely context is everything though, no? Like, after Kenny (wrongly imo) left him out of his first squad (despite having an identical record that season to then-golden boy Connolly), he went back to the U-21s despite already being a senior player. And Crawford threw him into the very position Kenny rightly said he couldn't play in (lone target man). After all that, being about to age out of U21 soon anyway, and right now doing brilliantly at club level, I can totally understand wanting to stay working at his club if the seniors don't want him (particularly with Swansea having a huge game against Cardiff just a couple days after the U21 game).

Feels like a stretch to be maintaining that he doesn't respect anyone he doesn't agree with. He's had his issues with some of the professional expectations at club level, but by all accounts is a particularly good kid, hence why Hasenhuttl and now Martin have always kept working with him and been patient.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement