Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Man City potentially have one of the best young keepers in the world. Would have to take something special for them to accept an offer to sell. Especially if he signs a new contract.

If big clubs in Europe are eyeing him and serious about him being their long term number one would be great to see him grab the chance. No clubs named but Nuerer and Handanovic are two keepers who'll probably retire soon enough. Munich and Inter could be two clubs looking at him if he's going cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If a club wanted to sign him permanently this summer how much do you think they would have to cough up? I don't think he will stay at city long term, but they will want to fetch a good fee for him if he leaves. Another year or two on loan could see him fetch a fee of 20m+ you'd think. Can't see anyone paying that for him now even though I personally think he would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It'll revolve around buy back clauses and first refusal. If he can get a good move to a top league city might leave him there for 3-4 years before buying him back. Ederson is going nowhere soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's unfortunate that both Bazunu and Kelleher find themselves behind two of the best goalkeepers in the world, both of whom are in their prime. I think the most important thing for both players right now is that they are playing regular. If Bazunu doesn't leave City, he'll be on loan again and playing at a higher standard of football without doubt. Kelleher on the other hand would worry me more. He'll be 24 next season and has such few senior games under his belt. I don't think he can afford to spend another season the bench again.

Don't think many clubs will want to develop him for a few seasons to possibly lose him on the cheap and don't think City will want to spend big to bring an academy player back to the club.

He'll get a new contract and a nice bump in wages and probably spend the next season or two at someone like Middlesbrough before returning to City to spend time with their senior squad. Steffen is out of contract in 2025 and Bazunu will probably take over as number two that season.

I'd imagine the fee buy back fee will be capped though. So the club who sell him back would make a tidy profit and City wouldn't be breaking the bank for a World Class Keeper.

I'd imagine the selling fee from City to a club would be 15 Million and the buy back might be 30-40 Million. Nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

C J Hamilton, Blackpool left winger has declared for us. I don't watch much Championship but he seems keen.

Think he was first mentioned after he joined Blackpool when Kenny took over from Mick. Has had his issues with injuries since his move to Blackpool. Missed half of last season and Blackpool left him out of their squad back in August as he had to go for surgery and only back in the team since the start of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I'm all for getting as many options as possible with our pool. Hopefully he can offer something different.

Yeah given the size of our pool of players the more options available to the manager the better. Could end up doing nothing in an Ireland shirt but won't cost us anything to have him as an option.

• Advertisement

Hes 27. Way down the pecking order for us. But yes cant do any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Speaking of wide players, wonder how far Marcus Harness is from a call up? Got his 11th League One goal of the season tonight.

Got to be closer the Hamilton.

You'd like to have a look at him and hopefully he can make the step up to championship.

Third highest rated keeper (6.87) in League One behind Rotherham's Josh Vicker (7.10), and Plymouth's Micheal Cooper (6.91).

Shadrach Ogie nominated for young player of the year in League Two. Given Crawford's comments about the shortage of left sided CBs when talking about Cashin it's a surprise he's not on his radar. Playing at the same level as O'Brien and McEntee is in the Scottish championship.

Works out better for us now that games 2 and 3 are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone know when tickets go on sale for those 2 June home fixtures?

Probably best that Ukraine makes it to the play off final there'll only be two days break between that game and our game with them. We'll be their fourth game of the international break too as they're playing a friendly before they play Scotland I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any mention of where we will likely play that Ukraine away fixture?

Have they nominated an away ground to play their home games in? Some in Germany or Poland would seem like decent options to base themselves out of for now.

• Advertisement

Think Travers is rated third in championship. Great stuff all round.

Rated 5th (6.75) behind Sheffield United's Wes Foderingham (6.90), Hull's Matt Ingram (6.85), Huddersfield's Lee Nicholls (6.85), and Nottingham Forest's Brice Samba (6.77)

Dyche sacked. What ever sliver of hope they had of staying up is all but gone now. Collins dropping back into Championship isn't ideal, but I suppose he will get plenty of games anyway.

A lot of fans not happy with the owners and fearful for the future. Hopefully Collins has some sort of clause in his contract as can see Burnley being stuck in the championship for a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dyche is all that has kept them in the premier league. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in league 1 in 2 or 3 years. I assume big Sam is taking the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Connolly's loan at Boro not going great. 2 goals, and 0 assists so far during his loan spell, despite Wilder preferring him and Balogun as his starting frontmen. Fans really getting frustrated with him now. His loan definitely won't be inspiring Brighton to give him a second chance so I'd say it's another season in the Championship for him next year.

• Advertisement

Thats it. Hes a very good young centre half so lets see. Clubs might be prepared to pay a big fee for him as he is home grown. I wouldnt like to see him end up at another struggling club though. Maybe the like of Leicster or Newcastle might be interested.

A really odd move by Burnley. You understand that a fresh voice might be needed but surely wait until the end of the season and then change.

Himself and Burn would be two big lads at the back alright if paired together. While he hasn't played much and has made the odd mistake the talent that's there is clear to see.

Speaking of our CBs, Shane Duffy is out with injury. Potter has confirmed he's struggling with a thigh issue and will be out for a bit to rest up. Should be okay for the Nations League but a good chance he might play a game between now and then.

Brighton have favoured a back four this season, and have played Cucurella as part of the back three lately allowing them to switch between three or four at the back when Cucurella and Veltman are playing.

Coming into the last year of his contract for them and wouldn't be surprised if he's sold or walks on a free at the end of next season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is panic of losing EPL status. They will not get it back anytime soon either. I would bet my house on it

They'll go the way of Stoke City. If Transfermarkt is correct they don't have a lot of players on long term contracts, seven players on contracts longer past 2023 which is probably a positive for them.

Just hope no Irish lads like Knight or Cullen think about going there next season.

They have a team of championship players who Dyche has managed to keep in the EPL by playing defensively for years. He has over achieved given the players he has imo. No other manager is going to keep them up.

Dunno if any one listens to theirishguy but I think his take on this is spot on

https://youtu.be/V90Rr3hfNP0

• Advertisement

Parrott, Coventry, and O'Hora start tonight in a big game for MK Dons. Live on Sky Sports so should be handy enough to find a link somewhere.

5 in 7 now for Parrott with a quality finish, though they're losing 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The more I watch Parrott the more I think he could be a number 9.

Seems to be showing some of the early promise. Let's hope the Kinahan thing doesn't disrupt his career

Be interesting to see how he gets on there for us with Idah out injured with the form he's shown lately. One issue with Parrott being the 9 is he'll always want to try and get on the ball which can see him dropping back towards midfield.

Was a big complaint fans had early in the season when he had to play as the 9 because of injuries but he seems a new man lately so might play better now as the 9. For us though it might not be much of an issue.

Be interesting to see if Russell Martin looks at bringing Parrott to Swansea next season. Issue being he'd be viewed as a squad player with Piroe and Patterson already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As long as he's well enough coached on when to drop out of CB that might not be a bad thing, with players like Ogbene, Obafemi, Robinson etc as wide-forward options who can move into that vacated space quite naturally. All 3 of them have a great sense of when to make the run behind, and a nose for goal, which takes some of the pressure off Troy to have to stand up top.

Yeah wouldn't be an issue with us, and Knight showed it best with the second and third goals against Luxembourg.

Was the biggest issue when he played the role for MK Dons that he didn't have anyone else supporting him like that. Both Twine and Boateng were more often than not playing deeper looking to get on the ball and leaving the CF isolating.

Goodwin and Aberdeen might hopefully be an option for him. Wants to try and bring McGrath and Ronan to Aberdeen next season. Scales has already been in squads but working with Goodwin might do him good like it did for McGrath and Ronan.

Loan I would say. Celtic seems to be a bit of a black hole for Irish players these days

Has put a good shift in so far closing down defenders and won the penalty for Swansea's second. Though was probably more sloppy from the Reading defender rather than Obafemi being clever in winning it. Himself and Piroe are developing a good partnership.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Cullen missed a penalty in the Cup final shootout as Gent won.

Finished 4-4 and will be kicking himself he didn't score a second when they were 4-3 up.

Has played 446mins since the international break, which includes a 180mins this long weekend alone. Would be higher than 446mjns as it doesn't include added time and today's game went into the 97th minute. Should have no excuses for not showing up in June.

Derby officially relegated today. Hopefully Knight's agent is busy behind the scenes sorting out his next move. Cashin could get a move himself but if Derby get their takeover sorted and Rooney is still there next season they'll be favourites to come back up again and Cashin is settled in in the starting XI.

Tidy finish and got the assist for their third goal too. Little too late as they were effectively relegated today because of their goal difference.

Anthony Scully with his third goal in five games since the international break. His 11th league goal of the season and seven assists. He's Lincoln's top goal scorer in the league and has the most assists.

Not a bad season when you consider he's been suffering with his knee since Christmas and is playing in a much worse Lincoln team compared to last season. Has the same number of league goals as last season but three more assists, and if he plays the 180mins in the last two games will have only played 450 more minutes this season compared to last.

Coming into the last year of his contract and Lincoln might look to make something off him rather than lose him for free but his knee issue could put teams off.

Another clean sheet for travers at the weekend. One foot back on the PL. A top young young goalie. Bright future ahead of him.

Will keane with another 2 goals tonight. Really seems to have found his level.

The problem with Keane is that there is no potential in him. This is his peak. I am hoping the likes of Parrott, Ogbene and Obafemi improve.

Oh yeh I'd fully agree with Keane. I think Kenny should forget about himself and Collins / Hogan in the squad when Idah, Parrott and Obafemi are all available.

• Advertisement

Cashin is out of contract. Given how he's performed in the last few weeks, I would be surprised if a Championship club didn't come in for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement