Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

30 years ago, its on a different planet.

We are still producing players of the same quality as then, but it's not enough any more. Everyone else has moved on, they are producing BETTER players.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who would you play instead? Not a fan of Will Keane myself but he was more prolific in league 1 than Parrott and Ogbene so going by club form him, Hogan or Obafemi should be leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's a pity it wasn't so obvious to O'Neill & Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd say it was but you'd have wanted to cap him before he broke into the West Ham team and even then he probably would have turned down a call up.

Similar with Grealish that you would have wanted to cap him while he was playing on loan in League One to have a chance of tying him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Was Rice not an unused sub in a qualifier game which would have tied him to us then under O'Neill (that was the rule at the time) - pretty sure he was but open to correction on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah he was on the team sheet for Austria or Moldova away in the 2018 WC qualifiers

Tbh we'd do ourselves no harm starting to cap players that 'may' have interest from somewhere else. We looked foolish after the Grealish and Rice saga and will be even more foolish if it happens again. Prove the point of not learning from our past mistakes

No he wasn't in any match day squads. He was called up to train with the seniors like Luca Connell did in the summer of 2017 when we had a friendlies and an away game against Austria.

It's very easy to check these things before making yourself look foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Back to mandatory cap shìte for all dual nationality players just in case.

Would still do a job for us in midfield at 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's all a storm in a teacup.

My guess is that he will be at a new club next season, playing regular football at a decent level, and will make the Ireland team on merit in the September internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

With the lack of talent we have in midfield at the moment it seems a no brainer that Smallbone be brought in. Or am i missing something. Do we continue to look at Jeff Hendricks. Smallbone is a regular in a PL matchday squad. I'd prefer to see the lad play 15-20 games at southampton than dropping down to league 1. I think though Smallbone likes to knock the ball forward and not just lateral or backwards. Kenny might not like trying through balls encase we lose possession. Have to mind those stats.

Hopefully Stephen can continue to unearth young talents like CJ Hamilton. Really on the ball with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's plenty of scope between playing a few games at Southampton and dropping to league 1... he'll ideally go on loan to an upper half championship team and get regular game-time at a suitable level.

This year has just been absolutely blighted by injury so it makes total sense he's not in the squad now. Like, he's only played about 2 hours of senior football in 2022...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Should be a thread ban for anyone who can't spell 'Jeff Hendrick' correctly. Seriously, how long has he played for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm amazed we never got Jeff's Hendricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I heard Shane Coleman and John Duggan of OTB this morning and despite both of those being ardent Kenny supporters in the past, they were both a bit more critical and concerned about Kenny and the result on Saturday than I've ever heard them before. I'd say a couple more bad results and the media, who made him out to be the messiah in the first place, may start to turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There has been little or nothing to hang your hat on in terms of results. Scalding draws at home to Serbia and Portugal garnered a lot of good will. Yes younger players have been brought through. Yes there is some intent to try and hold onto the ball better. But the senior team will always be a results business and Saturday’s result is an extremely serious matter as there is no hope for qualifying in any process if we will lose to Armenia away.

Kenny received a new contract, lots of backing, lots of bandwidth in order to prepare with. There are no excuses about the platform he has been afforded. He also has now been given a lot of time as we move into his 3rd competitive tournament. If you’re a Kenny fan or a fan of the notion of a home grown LOI manager of the senior team, you better hope he gets some results soon.

And here’s the thing, the deep dark conundrum that spawned the Trapp and O’Neill regimes: however you get those results is fine once you’re getting them, once you’re on track to qualify for the next thing. If Kenny is smart, he’ll set us up in a way that best suits our immediate strengths and he’ll play to get as many points as possible in whatever way it takes. Otherwise this will be over much quicker than him, his supporters and the FAI would like it to be.

He doesn't seem to have the nous or willingness to change things up and go more direct when things aren't happening. That's a big problem. Look the same LOI lads will be screaming for Jim Crawford next. That's what will happen. I'd prefer a manager who has managed at a top level ans is going to change things where needed during games and before games. If that means an element of route 1 football then so be it.

As i said the next two games are critical for Kenny. If he doesn't pick up a win and a draw I think the rest of his reign will be just about seeing out his contract and trying to cause no more damage.

Trap and O'neill were slated for the kid of interviews that Kenny is now giving to the media. Tony will turn on his soon I'm sure.

• Advertisement

So who should next Ireland manager be?

In June 2011 Wales were 112th in the world. Look at them now. A section of Irish fans are mad for the quick fix, the manager is everything and get this fella or that fella in and we be flying.

Take a step back. FAI haven't a penny, the structure of football in this country is all over shop. And we think we are a manager away from serious stuff.

Saturday annoyed me too. We were poor final quarter and of course is a worry. But its a team trying catch up with times. Anyone who expected no bumps along the way be best support Spain, Argentina or a Germany.

Wales? They produced 2 once in a generation player though in Bale and Ramsey so poor example.

I'm sorry I just don't think losing to Armenia and Luxembourg and having a shocking record of wins are acceptable. Not looking for a quick fix as I'm not deluded but it would be nice to still be in contention to qualify from a group after the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Comical Ali comes to mind here well developed football christ almighty we've beaten Qatar Luxembourg and Azerbaijan under Kenny. Kenny nations league record is hilarious 2 goals in 11 games not wins 2 goals!! What lows have to happen before ye will criticize him? Do we have to lose to San Marino ? Andorra?

I'm not sure who 'ye' refers to - I only speak for myself.

I have criticised him, plenty. I just try to keep my criticism at a rational level to the situation.

Poor example?

A smaller nation than us who started to see the importance of youth.

Yes they have had Bale to thank but why can't Ireland produce 1 World class player every ten years in all honesty.

• Advertisement

I don't know. If it's that easy sure everyone would be doing it. That's your solution then. Produce a world class player every 10 years. Don't forget Ramsey who is head and shoulders above everything we have produced. In fact apart from Roy Keane we haven't produced anything remotely near the standard of Ramsey since then. And then you have Davies at Spurs. Another solid PL regular. Yes a bad example.

Kenny is trying to play the type of football he was successful with at Dundalk. The difference is at Dundalk he had the players to do it. He needs to be a bit more pragmatic in his approach and not stick to the same failed game plan and tactics. It doesn't have to be route one long ball stuff but that should be a serious option from time to time.

I was all for kenny getting a chance and gave him the benefit of the doubt. But last Saturday was another low. I think we will struggle against Ukraine and Scotland and the fear after that is it's a long road to 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We’ve been back and forth on this a million times. The senior team is decoupled from the youth system. Absolutely the youth system needs investment and improvements. We need to really think about the pathway for young professional footballers and our responsibility for their development. Strides have been made in these areas, but we are hamstrung by the FAI not owning youth football in this country.

None of that excuses poor results for the senior team. The Senior Team is a win now business where maintaining the highest ranking possible and trying to qualify for tournaments is always the aim. The pipeline of players or lack thereof makes that job harder or easier, but it will remain a results first job nonetheless.

The Senior Team manager doesn’t develop 13 year old players or drive interest in the LOI. It doesn’t work that way and it never will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bale is English produced. He joined Southamptons academy aged 10.

Wales may be a smaller nation, but it has two clubs playing the the English Championship, both of who played in the Premier league in the last 10 years. Wales rise coincided with Swanseas 8 years in the PL and Cardiff getting large investment and a couple of promotions to the PL. It's not a coincidence.

Their FAW system didn't produce their current generation of players, the English system did. The same as it used to do for Ireland in the past.

It's not my solution. You said Bale and Ramsey were two in a generation players. I am saying why cant we do same and maybe better technical and creative players. But it takes time.(not have be world class but PL level)

Rome wasn't built in a day and the mess Delaney and Co left isn't going be fixed soon either. Unless a mega rich man comes along and saves it all.

Your last bit is not fully true.

In the Sawsnsea and Cardiff thing. Well it does help no question about it, but let's be clear their structures are still better than ours. Like I say we are rebuilding again. Wales ain't. It will take time. Irish football needs get with times. Getting a new manager is just throwing problems down the road when it won't work either.

• Advertisement

So at senior international level what's the roadmap? I agree partially with you btw. I know the fixes aren't quick but do we sit here and look at a guy who clearly isn't up for the job?

Armenia are shockingly poor. They are dreadful. I don't think that should be dressed up at all.

I think we have the players available to us to beat Armenia and Luxembourg so the even the PL quality player argument in that context is incorrect.

I agree 100%. It's a poor result. We should be winning that. The honeymoon period is over now for Kenny as farvas I am concerned. I just think he deserves more time cause of what he was trying implement. But I still think he deserves this nations league before we batter him yet too.

While it was a poor result, performance wise up to final quarter I thought we did well. We fell asleep at stupid times. I just think too that it's young team and again needs be given time and consideration that younger team will be more costly when comes to results. But little short term pain hopefully for long term gain(thsts the hope)

I have no problem with people calling out bad results or performances but I think we are getting there. I understand the frustration cause I want us get major tournament as much as anyone, but what's done in past takes bit of time even at senior level.

I don't honestly think a new manager will bring about change in the way it's needed and I think Kenny showing faith on younger players is way forward for now till we get house in order,however long that takes.

I'm not disagreeing entirely. I just think getting beaten or drawing with really poor teams (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Lux) is becoming a trend of Kenny's management record. I get what he is trying to do believe me. But it's not working. For it to be considered successful we have to be beating the poorer teams. If we can't break them down then we will have issues against the stronger teams. If this was Trap, MON or Mick presiding over this there would be carnage in the media and in the stands at this point.

As I've said it's a long road to 2024 the way things are panning out. I really hope we can beat both Ukraine and Scotland or at least pick up 4 points. It's hard to see though if we can't manage to beat Armenia.

Someone should tell Kenny get Adaramola onto the pitch for a couple of minutes Wednesday night before that dastardly Southgate finds out he could qualify for a British passport.

It's ok. Steve will make sure CJ is tied down this week.

Yawn, they don't even play in the same position. At least complain that a player relevant to the position Smallbone plays is ahead of him rather than whinging about a striker and a winger playing ahead of him.

I just can't understand what grounds fellas think there is for Smallbone to have been in the senior setup in this window. He's played 2 hours of senior football in 2022. His strongest case for a call up in the last year is what he's just done in this window for the U21s, which wouldn't have happened if he'd been called up for the seniors... Let's let the guy actually play a bit of football, and call him up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ok long ball football.... who out of our 5ft8 strikers are going to win headers for us? Hold up the ball against 6ft6 centre halves? And for a start they have gone more direct since the 1st nations league campaign.

As someone else said here do people really think Kenny is telling players to get so far up the pitch and then turn around and pass it backwards?? A manager gives players a plan and an approach as to how to play the game. At the end of the day the players have to go out and play what they see in front of them. Kenny has made mistakes but i actually think some players are getting away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Kenny hasn't been in charge for 11 NL games. Ireland have posted 11 NL games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ssshhh. Don't let facts get in the way of a good lynch mob. A lot of giving out here and other social media but short in the way of solutions other than capping kids and players just off long term injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s just another excuse for Kenny from his fans. We don’t have the players/very few PL players. How many players do Armenia have playing top level football? Luxembourg? Qatar??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

At this stage Kenny needs to go, for the good of football in this country. Armenia ffs.

Bring in big Sam and fortunes will absolutely be turned around.

Came into the camp with a groin twinge and looked to be limping when he came off. I'd say if we see him again this campaign it's gonna be Ukraine away.

They conveniently overlook that fact though. I think some of them are Kenny Cunningham in disguise trying to tell us that Luxembourg are an up and coming force and we shouldn't be expecting to beat them.

Smallbone? If there is a chance that he can change things based on his outings for the 21's I think he should be tried. Literally our midfield is shambolic. Will he improve it? I don't know. But from a creative element it's hard to see how it gets worse. But that's neither here no there really. Kenny has a squad that is a hell of a lot better than Azerbaijan, Luxembourg or Armenia. If we are talking about a team being picked on merit than what the hell is hendrick still doing there.

Kenny is picking Kelleher over Travers at the moment. Kelleher who has had what? A handful of professional games. But that doesn't suit the pro Kenny knock the ball around without any threat of an end product lads. Kelleher can roll the ball out to the centre back. Yeh......More possession.

Athlone99 if Kenny is lashing on you a target man in Will Keane then why not play to his strengths? Why not hit him with some ball and see if we can pick something up off it? Why does the only option seem to be pass the ball 7000 times with little or no threat of an end product? Predictable. Even the likes of Armenia know what is coming.

But sure listen there is no having a debate with the pro kenny / LOI fanboys here. King Kenny needs more time. It's the players fault. It's John Delaneys fault. If you don't stand on some kippy terrace in Dalymount you don't have a clue about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Will Keane plays generally as a 10/playmaker for Wigan and is not a target man. So to further your argument Kenny is playing to Keanes strengths.

As mad as it may sound, there is a huge step up between U21 football and senior football. Smallbone has simply not played enough to justify a senior call up yet.

I could go through all players in the squad and the amount of lads who are not playing enough football is killing the Ireland team. Should the team/Kenny be doing better, yes i think they should but i also can understand the reasons why things arent better. Would another manager change the performances? I dont think so. Since Robbie Keane retired we have always struggled to beat lower ranked teams, all be it we seem to have gotten worse at trying to break them doen over the last 10 years.

Many so called Pro Kenny people on here are prepared to give him time and have some patience. Ireland have been spoilt by qualifying for tournaments given the size of our country, investment in the game here and the state of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What a ridiculously petty way to respond. At least have the conviction to back up your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How would ye line us up tomorrow night? Sounds like Ukraine will make a lot of changes to their side who lost to Wales but could still dominate the ball in midfield if we only went with a midfield two. Also sounds as if we need to freshen up some positions. You'd think we will have more success in the counter here as doubt Ukraine will just sit back as Armenia did.

I didn't really see much of Saturdays game as I was elsewhere. But based on the criticism and analysis of Saturday I'd go something like this:

Kelleher

Christie - Collins - Duffy - Egan - Stevens

Browne - Cullen - Knight

Ogbene - Obafemi

• Advertisement

Ah will ye stop. My point was that Kelleher has played SFA for Liverpool and not played consistently at senior level at all. Travers had a great season in the Championship getting promoted in the process. Yes Kelleher is a decent prospect but we won't know how decent he is until he plays a full season. Should he be ahead of a lad who performed so well at club level this year? I don't think so anyway. Only my opinion though.

That's the Kenny fan club way to respond though. Not able to up a decent argument against the obvious failings. I mean there are some of his ardent fans on here who refuse to criticise losing to Armenia, Luxembourg and drawing with the likes of Qatar and Azerbaijan. With the players he has available he should be able to beat them. Certainly not lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement