Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure why you need to mention other leagues in different countries, Just own your ****, typical head in the sand response, probably why it will never improve and these scumbags will live on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've been going to LOI games since 1986, violence is not a regular occurrence. Some clubs have a "junior scum" element with a few older heads thrown in. They cause trouble here and there but by no means a typical thing to see at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The comments I took issue with were from those belittling the LOI and taking pleasure it seems in Stephen Kenny struggling as Ireland manager by having pops at LOI “fanboys” as it was ironically put. Really sly and not to mention silly self loathing comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If the LOI is getting bashed for that behaviour being "typical", then it should be called out for the drivel it is. I've said those "fans" are a disgrace, I've no idea why people can't go to a game without being a scumbag.

A key point to the absolute state of football in Ireland is the lack of a top league. More people need to get behind it and support it, but then you see comments about what is typical behaviour at games, when it's far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I don’t like that attitude myself. It is wrong on a lot of levels. Which ironically has been a contributing factor to the current international football decline over many years .

I have great respect for LOI fans. They are real football fans IMO, what soccer should be all about, local community and grassroots.

But I suspect deep down many who are anti LOI don’t really identify with Ireland and find it with big British clubs only. They could go to both LOI and EPL. But only chose EPL.

To me that is a bit sad, not looking at the big picture, of Irish football. And being solely fans of a marketed global event, instead of the sport of soccer itself. In its purest form, on their own doorsteps.

But yet they are anti their own Irish club teams. It is a colonial mindset IMO - odd.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair enough but as I said that was my experiences, and I'm not in any rush to get back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

There is a difference between a LOI fan, which I am one, and a LOI fanboi, which are the people who blindly back Kenny because he was a LOI manager, no matter how bad it gets. He was LOI so he can do no wrong.

They are two completely different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was just thinking Brian Kerr was basically a LOI man as well. But for some reason was not given half as much chance by media as Kenny is now! Always thought Kerr was treated very harshly.

I know the pool of players available are different from Kerr’s time to the present.

But still, Great win percentage, few losses. But we have the opposite with Kenny and the media. Treated extremely softly, with excuse after excuses. It is baffling stuff. What is the media agenda? Some contrast.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Someone said earlier in this thread I think, that Kenny has been privately threatening to pull media cooperation if they weren’t nice about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,972 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fully expecting the Kenny shambles bus to speed up tonight. 2-0 Scotland, my prediction.

You know the worst part of it, like most people, I just won't care.

Long past time there was emotion in me when Ireland loses a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

0-0 at half time between Ukraine and Armenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Can an international football manager decide to even do this themselves? Is it not part of their remit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I disagree. I don’t think you’ll find any LOI fan who would claim it’s a hotbed of international players. People are extremely realistic about where our league is, doesn’t stop it being worth supporting though.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Scotland should beating us though. They quite simply have better players than we do at this moment in time.

Armenia shouldn't have happened. Not Luxembourg and some of the other results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why post then? I don't care about Coronation Street but don't go into their threads telling them this. Strange post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

lineups v scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

I thought I heard on the radio earlier Egan had been ruled out for today?

Thought Egan was injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

People saying Kenny doesnt have a plan is just talking nonsense. There is clearly a plan there and i think we are creating more chance than in previous years just have no one to finish them off or with quality to put in a decent cross. The lack of a 3rd midfielder is a mistake do in recent games.

Loads of people said they would love to hear what Dunphy and Giles would say after the other night. Neither really blamed Kenny while stating he could be doing better. Both said they think its the worst set of players in 30 years and now people say they are talking nonsense as they cant go back on their original opinions. Talk about lads flip flopping....

Kerr was absolutely screwed over and should been given more time but as has been said the players had too much power back then and did not back the LOI home grown man. If Kerr was in charge now he would have gotten more time. The quality in his squad then is poles apart from what we have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Maybe it's last nights drink still circulating in my system but I've forgotten all about the last 2 matches.

I've got optimism again before kick off. I think we're getting a win today.

what went wrong for Jamie McGrath? looked decent when used. The move to Wigan doesn't seem to have worked out. Is it lack of game time has cost him his position in the squad? but you could say that about others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,160 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some of them are better but sadly not the ones who would want the job.

Back in March said the lack of game time leading up to March wasn't an issue but wanted to look at others in that window incase there was no change in game time for McGrath between March and June.

Both the RTE and Premier Sports interview saying that if we beat Scotland it’ll be the biggest result in 7 years. Absolute bluffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Annoyed if he is setting up as a back 3 with two in midfield again. Scotland will overrun us in there. Get Knight into midfield with Cullen and A.N.Other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I hate Stephen Kenny's interviews. He's not very good at them and talks 8#11#×.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Listening to Kenny with his pre-match Interview there - I can't make out if he is trying to be too careful with what he says as he doesn't want his words used against him, or if he just comes across as being that boring and slow.

Either way, I didn't like hearing the word formidable used to describe Scotland. The last time I heard formidable and Scotland in the same sentence was in the buildup to the world bagpipe championships.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Like the Scottish gear - very Argentinaesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The bar is so low here that I would just like to see us score at least even if we are beaten

The Scottish anthem is amazing, seemed way louder than Irelands!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Positive start. Playing with a high tempo. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

at least we don't have to suffer Kelly on Co-Com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We've started well. Scotland slow to settle. But we've been here before.

Awful cross by McLean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice work from Obafemi, followed by an awful ball by McClean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

93 caps and he still can't cross a ball ffs

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jaysus Christ.

You can't blame Kenny for the absolute sh*teness some of the players put on display like what McClean did there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

McClean ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Irish fans booing United/Liverpool players playing for their NT is always so cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

Duffy..... seriously poor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It seems everyone here is in agreement about McClean and his crossing!

Ireland now shooting ourselves in the foot at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nearly gifted them a goal.

Duffy trying to play it out from the back is terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

As usual, playing way too much football in our own box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Second time Collins has done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Molumby really gives you nothing on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The inability to cross the ball is unbelievable. Professional footballers who either can't beat the first man or else over hit it. It's incredible how crap we are at crossing.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement