Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

It was stated last week VAR was there but FAI opted not to have goal line technology on duty, wonder how much it cost per game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Best i have seen Ireland play in a while. Pressing has been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but the Ancient Order of the No Kennys are cheering for Scotland so they can "I told you so" the rest of the posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Much better with a bit of pace urgency and directness. Set pieces important for Ireland. Now I can watch the Kldare v Mayo match in comfort, knowing Ireland have the 3 points in the bag. Hope Kenny sticks with this formation, and urgency. Less of that dangerous passing from the back though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah, don't know if Hourihane is the 'right sub' I was talking about earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's more probably the Irish ManU fans booing McTominay.

Liverpool ones can't be arsed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

We're fading a bit the last 5 minutes or so. Still 20 mins plus left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I thought the LUX game was the watershed moment for the Kenny era. But then we had the poor start to this campaign.

Hopefully this is the start of this campaign kicking off for the team. Any sort of result in Poland will definitely have righted the ship my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We should be looking to take the pace out of this game with another game in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Isn't this his 25th game? If it's not now then forget about it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember some of the comments last week of "Look at what a decent Scotland are doing to Armenia" and now it's all "Scotland are mediocre, we shouldn't get too excited".

Honestly, why do these lads bother watching the national team?

Think Parrott has been outstanding. Real coming of age performance for me. Getting stuck it, bossing some of Scotlands centre halves, working his arse off and being creative.

As someone else said I hope a few managers in the championship or lower premier league are looking at him after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I like the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You are probably right but after the guts of 10 years of defensive, drab, horrible putrid sh*te under O neill and Trapp, I’ve really enjoyed watching ireland (even losing), this Kevin Keegan stuff is a nice break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

This is great to see, delighted for Kenny. Have to be careful playing out of the back but a great pressing performance so far. Scotland so bad I’d imagine Clarke’s job will be in question, but Ireland have made them look bad. Obafemi could be world class. I’ve been one of McCleans biggest critics but he’s been fantastic tonight. Kelleher doesn’t fill me with confidence I have to say! Now build on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Collins has been great lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Collins IS great. Just has all of the tools to be a top centre half.

Is there any chance of Bazunu being back for Tuesday? Think he's been a much bigger loss than we realise.

• Advertisement

Great game, Obafemi and Parrott the stand outs for me. We really need to cut out the mistakes at the back though. On another day they could have all been converted and it would be an entirely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Stupid tackle from Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Irish man of the match will be deserved today, unlike against Armenia and Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Currently at the game. Great performance. Was looking forward to seeing Andy Robertson bin the flesh...Christ he was poor....totally overrated I have to say ... Scotland are as they say over tger are pish...

In looking at that all or the majority have come from Duffy. Definitely something that can be worked on or improved and on the long run Duffy will be phased out i imagine depending on where he plays next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How long before the "it's only a friendly" crowd come crawling back in? 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Haha Obafemi had fun for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's a Christie/Brown in both the Ireland and Scotland squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

With Duffy out next week would like to see Kenny move Collins into the centre of the three. Thought he maybe should have switched them when it came for goal kicks but also said Hogan hadn't a chance of playing and he possibly scored so wtf do I know 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Updated Stephen Kenny competitive record: 18 games, 3 wins, 6 draws, 9 defeats.

Finally a first home competitive win since the McCarthy era. Main positive was the performance of Obafemi, who silenced in style the 'what did he do?' brigade after the Armenia game. He has to be a starter when fit. Very solid showing from Collins and Kelleher did well too when called upon. Still big concerns about the defence with the ball, and a better team would have punished those sloppy errors.

The result will be gassed up by the usual quarters but one swallow does not a summer make. Scotland were awful, and there will be far better technical sides to come. We will learn far more about the team on Tuesday after we face Ukraine once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really clean win and wins will set Kenny free.

Great stuff - hopefully dispels the continued talking down of our own team. We should expect to compete and get results. Buzzing!

Obafemi limping, not a good sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I hope kenny learns from this victory. This team should not lose to armenia. Think kenny should be safe as long as we dont get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

I often thought, you should change your username to "Mr Doom and Gloom"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Great win and its what we should expect. To compete against teams slightly better than us/similar level to us and beat the teams below us.

That's a decent Scotland team and we ran all over them. More of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Really enjoyed that. Obafemi and Parrott performances shows we have a couple of options up front now. Only concern was how open at the back we were

It does show the whole "we've no right to beat anyone" clique that we can actually win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Obafemi seems a good character. Injuries have blighted his career so far, hopefully he gets a decent run for club and Country and can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Great stuff. The big test is on repeating it again against the ukraine.

• Advertisement

Obafemi saying he's fine there, hopefully that's the case. I'd say he's the potential to be a real mercurial player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't think we were open at the back at all. The only real chances Scotland had came from Duffy's inability to pass the ball.

Pretty sure Alan Browne scored with his b*llocks and I'm perfectly content with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Excellent result and a good performance. Well done the lads and SK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No right to does not mean we think we can't beat teams. It just displays an understanding that we shouldn't be snobbishly looking down on "minnows" when we have done fk all to stay ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thats the standard set now. Doherty and Bazunu to come back into that too.

Nobody should suggest going forward that we shouldnt be beating Armenia. That result is evem harder to take now.

Really happy for SK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ah its great to get the win and a few goals too. We played better today and it was a good thing Scotland were poor. But we can only worry about ourselves. This has bought Kenny another while so hopefully he can keep this going. Playing well at home used to be agiven so we will see what happens.

There is no doubt about the goodwill most people have for Kenny but it is results that are needed. Today was great. We have to keep this going now. I want to believe in Kenny and today gives me hope. There has not been much to cheer before today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great performance. More of that, pretty please. Those short kick outs with opposition standing close really need to stop. Keep that to a minimum because you certainly wouldn't always get so lucky when you make a mistake with that.

I know Duffy is oft the panto villain and stats will blame him but for the giveaway that got him booked I've no idea what Parrott was waiting for it invited the Scot to nip in and take the ball.

Thats one of the issues with "turnover" stats in most sports tbf, sometimes doesn't fault the right player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If Messi had of pulled out that assist for Parrott, there would be people destroying themselves over it online. Absolute filth.

All aboard the Obafemi hype train!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement