Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

When they press you go long, when they sit back you play out short. It’s not rocket science. No need to complicate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I know that but what happened when Duffy came back to Brighton? Played his way into the team and became major goal threat again for opposing defences!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Wha? Sorry but you’re way off. He played when there was an injury crisis and got dropped after. Since week 13 of the season he started 5 league game. In their last 11 league games he played one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If I was Darren Fletcher I'd be like a dog that you told them three years ago sign this lad he's gonna be quality in time.

As much as I despise the owners of Newcastle if they're actually interested then he should jump at that chance. Get on that train now and ride it all the way to the top because they've got the financial muscle to go far.

You seem to thinking going long is hopeless punting no matter who is doing it. Going long is not what you want Duffy to do because in any sport you don’t want your players doing stuff they aren’t good at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No reason why we can't be pragmatic about things and use Duffy as an auxiliary center forward when we are chasing a game or Plan A isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s a problem going long when that’s all you do. Most teams in the world could do that, kick it away from your goal and get as many men in the way as possible. You rarely get hammered but also you rarely win. It generally means you rely on other results going your way.

Its no problem trying it if nothing else is working, but you’ll never get far if that’s your entire plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's mad that one win and a draw is considered good enough, for a team that was allegedly angling to win this competition.

It just seems that the team pull out a half decent performance at the last moment, which is just enough to save Kenny's skin.

He'll continue on no doubt, his media cheerleaders will ensure that he leaves on his terms. Ireland may continue to play attractive football too, but they are not going to win groups or indeed qualify for anything.

And as this week has shown it's not as if the players aren't capable of playing well, it's just on most occasions (least we forget the win statistics) the manager has not managed to get them to play well.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting to go long all the time

Its not just a win and a draw and everything’s grand. Before and after the Ukraine and Armenia games Kennys Ireland have had much better performances and results.

Consistency is an issue but we’ve had our biggest competitive win against a higher ranked side under Kenny for 33 years so he’s obviously got something about him.

He won’t be judged on results in isolation but will be on how close he gets to qualifying for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He’s used up all his bandwidth, Euro 2024 he’ll need to produce results or he’ll be gone.

I think it is inarguable that he has received way more leeway from the media and fanbase than any Irish manager since…Giles?

That’s what we were doing, though, prior to Kenny. Even though all it really meant was we’d draw some games we might have lost. But we were never really in contention to win any of these games - which is ultimately required if you’re going to qualify for anything.

Micks first stint. Had 3 campaigns before qualification after a taking on a team that had been in 3 of the last 5 tournaments. Was recognised though that the team that had been doing so well needed an overhaul, similar to Kenny, except he had players getting minutes at a higher level at his disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely got a lot of leeway alright, but under the circumstances of coming in during Covid - and the massive disruption that brought - along with just how much of the first team needed to change, that was quite fair enough I think. Arguably 8 of our first choice 11 are now different to when Mick finished up 2 years ago. That’s a pretty significant rebuild in a pretty short time, and has us in a much better place for the future.

As you say, that work has been done now, so we need to be getting results from here on - particular in the next qualifying campaign.

Hopefully it works out for him. Takes a set of balls to walk away from a long term contract and back yourself like he's doing when the safer option would have been signing the contract and still getting a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Can you not give Kenny some credit? Based on how the players have played to date for him there is no way they decided to bit a little more direct themselves. If they did Kenny is finished and its going to be a pointless 18 months. Manager to me is clearly in control and the players believe in what he is doing.

McClean did do well the last few games but was poor last night, his crossing was a mixed bag and the goal is 100% on him. There way a wide out clip where you can see O'Shea step across, point to McClean and tell him to get back, he didnt do it in time and got caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I've also noticed people keep using the term "3 campaigns" for Kenny as well instead of number of years in charge which is kinda sneaky seeing as it's counting Nations League which other managers never had.

When is the last time we won a qualifying group?? Talk about looking at unrealistic expectations. A playoff is what we should be looking for. Personally i dont think we will qualify for a WC for a long time unless this crop turn out to be a once in a generation bunch. However I think we should at a minimum always get a playoff spot for the Euro's and in general should be good enough to qualify, since its now a 24 team tournament.

If Kenny does not get a playoff from the Euro's qualifying I presume his contract wont be renewed and we will move on. Get beat in a playoff and it will all depend on performances etc. The way you state it sounds like you think Kenny will be manager forever more.

These games were against teams slated to be in and around our level. We lost 2, won 1 and drew 1. Armenia was poor and shouldnt have happened but overall the performances have been good, young players coming through and building towards the Euro qualifiers.

The type of football he is playing is the best way of trying to qualify in the long term. The match going fans are quite happy, journalists quite happy and most fans are happy. He deserves the Euros qualifying, if he fails we move on but it will have to be with a manager to continue what Kenny has started.

Heres a different angle. Yes its 9 competitive loses or what ever it is. But all of those have been by a single goal, we havent been hammered (apart from the England friendly) and what 4 of those were from screamers/ freak goals from outside the box. If those 9 loses for actually 4 or 5 and we had extra draws the perception of Kenny and the team would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Jim Crawford seems to have worked a miracle with the U21s.

Getting to a play off in general is a big feat for us, but to do with our B team is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who is the journalist who was reporting leaks from the FAI that Kenny was under pressure? Heard reference to him on two different podcasts but neither named him.

Also, Ken Early referenced an article, on the latest Second Captains, about "fans" who hate everything about the club/team/tv show they are supposedly fans of. Reminds me of a few people on here.

Same the other extreme where passing is done for the sake of it backwards, sideways and slow. Unless there is a technically proficient fulcrum who has the competency to play through balls. It is ridiculously easy for the opposing team to play against, as we have witnessed just recently.

I think it is crucial Ireland maintains urgency in their play. Closing drown and not being afraid to mix it when required. Always make me laugh that when Xavi, Plantni, Beckham, Pirlo etc played long it was a ‘cultured pass’ When an Irish player does it they call it long ball/hoofball!

And when Big Jacks team was at their peak. He was asked which English player he would like from English team. Jack said deadly seriously ‘Hoddle plays a great long pass.’

I agree, Ireland don’t have players that can play quick incisive passing through defences, when we try it we seem to be half a step behind(we need to see the player make the run rather than assume he did)

Against teams that want us to have the ball we need high tempo play. It doesn’t need to be perfect, we just need them not comfortable.

Pirlo was putting perfectly weighted balls on to Inzaghi's boot.

We are usually just hoping it hits a head and goes the right direction.

I was thinking of that Robbie Keane goal v Germany 20 years ago. What unlocked the German defence after all that football?

Long ball, Quinn’s noggin and Robbie expecting Quinn to win it, so he was ready to make the run.

Simple but effective, thing of beauty as far as I am concerned. Front two working in tandem. Playing to their strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It wasn't me that said it, Kenny himself said the goal of this nations league campaign was to win the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think it's the best move he can make.

Ederson is one of the top goalkeepers in the world and still only 28. How many years would Bazunu have to wait before he got his shot at the number 1 jersey. Will it really help him to spend the next three, four, or five seasons going out on loan or sitting on the bench?

No, this move to Southampton gets him playing at the highest level and in a decent team. It sounds like City have a buy-back clause in the sale as well, so if he does as well as we hope, he will end up back at City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Bazunu joining Southampton, good move for him. Hopefully he'll be their first choice GK over McCarthy. We need more Irish players playing regular first team football at the highest level if we're ever going to progress as a national team and qualify for the next major tournaments. I hope Stephen Kenny stressed that to the lads in the dressing room. Obviously not all of them are good enough but a few of them like Nathan Collins should definitely be looking for moves this summer

• Advertisement

Southampton are far from a decent team and will need a lot more than Bazunu if they want to avoid being dragged further into a relegation battle next season.

Becoming number one at Man City was never really much of a possibility - but choosing to leave so young is the risk. He could've stayed with a guaranteed big contract, while going out on loans to better and better sides, climbing the football pyramid before eventually leaving to the best option for him. But I get it, when another Prem side come in I'm sure it's tempting, even if it's a prem side who are never too far from going down each year (survived by 5 points this year, .

It's not a bad move. Though I do wonder if he'd waited another year or two if he might have gotten a permanent move to a club a tier or two higher (West Ham, or even Spurs sort of level).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Two great performances and results in the last couple of days, enjoyable games with great goals and plenty of passion and good individual displays. Collins, Cullen, Knight and Parrott all superb last night, all of the starting players aside from Hogan impressed to be fair. Despite the very bumpy nature of Kenny's reign so far, we have had players emerge and stick their hand up for a place in the starting XI at different periods over the last 18 months. Parrott, Obafemi, Molumby and of course Collins were the ones who really impressed this time around and you'd have to say they would probably be in our strongest XI right now if everyone was fit.

It's getting to the stage where you have to ask the question does Duffy deserve to start anymore? He is an Irish legend, a true leader and one of our biggest goal threats, but he was such a liability against Scotland and you'd imagine if he played last night it could have been a much nervier experience. It's hard to say, he has such clear pros and cons but it's difficult to weigh them up against one another.

It's great to see we are capable of these performances, better than anything we have seen from the Irish team since 2016, but we need to become more consistent and be able to beat the likes of Armenia, Luxembourg etc regularly. If he trips up against Armenia again in September in September we will be back to debating is he the man for the job. Our biggest issue now is finding a way to break down the teams who sit back against us and let us have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As a Toronto Maple Leafs fan I relate so hard to that attitude.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

None too plussed that Nathan Collins didn’t get nominated for round 4 goal of the round https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/goal-of-the-round/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So he should say "no we're not aiming to win the group"? What would the detractors complain about then, the lack of ambition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Of course he should have said that, and then they could complain about that. Or his interviews, or what he's wearing, or where he's standing on the sideline.

Did Obafemi or Parrott get nominations for matchday 3?

(Also, just saw the winner from matchday 3 - bloody hell! Fella scored from inside his own half, right out by the touchline - keeper wasn't even that far off his line!)

• Advertisement

Yeah hats off to that Andorran. Obafemi got nominated

Should have gave a cliche answer about improving on the work we've done last year and having a strong campaign. Dunphy said it himself that Kenny can be too honest for his own good, and winning the group should have been kept in-house.

I agree with Dunphy, never thought I would, but it's a tough group and we were one of four or five teams that had yet to even win a nations league game going into this campaign. Going public about winning the group when we'd never even won a game was making a rod for his own back.

Could take 6/6 points in September and still finish third, that's how hard it can be to top a group.

Obafemi did, the Andorra player that scored from his own half won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah it may have made a rod for his own back, but I'd have no issue with a manager openly saying what the intention is and coming up short in a tough group. Only people clinging to it are dying for the day he'll be sacked, no allowances at all. Enough managers talk in clichès, nice to avoid that for a change

Did Kenny not say that before the draw took place?

I did give Kenny credit, in the post you quoted. I'm backing him and reckon he should get the Euro campaign to try and qualify.

In relation to McClean, as another poster said Damien Delaney in analysis said McClean's positioning was as expected for a lwb, but maybe you know better.

• Advertisement

I thought they were poor and timid yesterday in a game in which they had nothing to lose. I didn't like their slow ponderous build up play. Getting beat is ok against what was probably a better side but I didn't like their approach to the game.

Hopefully they'll go through in the play offs, they'll need to be more positive and on the front foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah the Italians were probably just a class above, in fairness. Having said that though, the first three goals were giveaways and you can’t do that against half decent teams, never mind teams of the quality of Italy. That’s what really killed the Irish team yesterday.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To be fair they were much more direct and high-tempo in the opening stages. Sometimes you're playing a team which is just so good that you can't keep it together, and you find yourselves slowing the game down to try build a bit of confidence in possession because you're so worried about what they could be capable of if they get it back off you.

Sometimes the opposition just forces you to play a certain way or makes you look poor. Scotland is a perfect example. They were poor because we didn't let them play.

If you look back at the clip of their goal as the play starts his positioning is fine but as the play develops Dara O'Shea gets dragged across and points to McClean to cover. It takes McClean about 5 seconds too long to react and then its too late. Its a small thing but to me the goal was his fault.

He had a good window but wasnt as good the last day.

I don’t agree. I watched the game. After a while when they did get it forward they looked like they could cause the Italians problems. It was like they went out with an attitude to contain them as long as possible and maybe knick something on the break. They had nothing to lose in the game, it was a disappointing and poor approach. Hopefully they’ll be better in the play offs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement