Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jake O'Brien got a decent bit of time at CB between the two games as well. A full half against Liverpool, and ~25 mins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Dara O'Shea signs a new deal with WBA until 2025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Can't help but feel he should have waited out and considered his options. West Brom were absolutely cat when Bruce took over.

Good to see Adam Idah make his return to Norwich's first team yesterday. Looks to have bulked up a bit while out. Hopefully he can stay injury free this season. He's had rotten luck with injuries the last two seasons.

Reports this morning that Smallbone could be on his way to Stoke who already have Gavin Kilkenny on loan.

Some talk that Sunderland have submitted a bid already, and talk that QPR and PNE supposedly have interest too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Contract extension and loan to Stoke for Smallbone. Will be interesting to see what himself and Kilkenny can do this year. The bar isn't exact high for central midfielders in the national team.

Blackburn have bid £1m for Szmodics and been turned down. Wonder will he push for a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not sure I like any of those options for Parrott. Dont think Sunderland, QPR or PNE will be near the top while Wilder overachieved with Boro last season so hard to know if they'll challenge again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Spurs apparently looking to loan to a club that will play Parrott as a 9 from what I read yesterday. I don't think Parrott has that killer instinct to play as a 9. His game suits him more as a 10.

• Advertisement

Don't think teams you'd expect near the top would have any interest unless someone tore up league one like Twine did.

Not sure if it was an interview with Parrott, but it's supposedly something he's wanting to do himself next season to play more as a number 9 to help him better breakthrough at Spurs in 23/24.

Parrott reminds me a bit of McGoldrick. Both players work their socks off, are skilful, and contribute heavily to their teams, but neither are prolific in front of goal. The thing is Parrott is still young, his finishing could improve. I remember when Sterling broke through at Liverpool he was getting all sorts of abuse for missing good chances. Certainly within the realms of possibility that Parrott could start swapping some of those bad misses from last year into goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The Irish contingent at Stoke grows stronger as John O'Shea joins as a coach, and will presumably juggle this with his current role as Ireland U21 assistant manager.

Would agree with that, and even Kenny himself likened Parrott to McGoldrick in terms of play when first called up when McGoldrick was carrying a knock.

Have seen Parrott score some top goals and looking at some of his misses last year I'd say it's a confidence thing. Even times in some games you'd be saying hit it but would take another touch or pass it off. A season playing as the 9 could do him the world of good but a worry is getting stuck with a team who'll end up struggling in the championship like Sunderland possibly.

Officially confirmed. Stoke games might just be worth a watch at times now if himself and Kilkenny are playing regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Great to see Andrew Omobamidele back in action. Hope he gets a run of games to get back in form -

• Advertisement

He's having his medical today at Preston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's about as uninspiring as it gets.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Why?

Ryan Lowe is in charge at Preston and he's a very good up and coming young coach who wants to play attacking football. Looking at the Preston team, they don't have very many decent attacking options, so you'd think Parrott should see plenty of game time.

I think Preston is a decent, realistic option for him considering what he's done so far in his career. If Parrott can get into double figures with goals, it should be a nice stepping stone for the next season.

Hopefully they keep the 3-5-2 or at least have two men up top if they revert back to a four in defence. Emil Riis was good last season scoring 16 goals and 5 assists in the league so he'll have a good strike partner if he does indeed partner Riis up front.

He wasn't going to Swansea because would have been competing with Obafemi for a place in the team. Sunderland will probably go back down again, and while Boro might finish ahead of Preston they were shocking up front last season even after spending money on big loan signings.

Even if Spurs weren't pushing for him to be a number 9 this season he wouldn't have done enough last season for a top 6 team to bring him in if people were honestly hoping that's where he ended up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Only thing to be said is at least Parrott is playing at a higher level than last year. He needs to hit the ground running.

Hopefully Smallbone does well this year too. We badly need a creative player playing at a decent level consistently.

I see Travers handed the number 1 jersey. It'll be really interesting to see if Bazunu starts as first choice too.

We need Obafemi, Idah and Parrott to be scoring goals this season in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Looks like he's copped himself on. There's a player in there if he gets it right. I wonder if he looked at Obafemi's return and said why can't I?

Not a criticism of you but a pet peeve of mine... I think the original interview should be the one linked rather than some content-grabbing-clickbait article. So for anyone interested, you can find the actual interview by Irish Football Fan Tv below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Just read it. Very honest interview. Holds his hands up that he has under performed on the pitch and was making bad choices off the field

Hopefully he can follow through on his new desire to get back on track with new start in Italy. He definitely showed potential early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes time will tell but hopefully it does get him back to his best. It's not like we are loaded with good attacking options so if Connolly could get his career kick started that would be great. Time will tell though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I hope Paul gets the jerseys he was angling for 🤣

I have been one of the biggest Connolly haters around but appreciate that he seems to be taking some personal responsibility here (although he was pointing the finger a bit at Brighton and his group of friends). If he can have a good season that would be great for Ireland

Not impressed with the interview at all to be honest. His performances on the football field are where he needs to do his talking.

Good move for the young lad, and if he impresses could end up bypassing the U21s like Omobamidele end up doing.

Excellent move for the lad. Straight into the championship. If he manages to slot in first choice their really isn't that much competition for him at LWB or LB for Ireland. We desperately need pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

My thoughts exactly. Everyone else’s fault except his own. No personal responsibility whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Connolly did an interview at the start of or during last season with his former youth coaches at Galway where he kind of admits he thought he had it made after his first few games with Brighton and in fairness he got a 4 year contract at 25k a week out of that double vs spurs so he kind of does have it made.

I think there’s a whiff of a flash bellend off him. Players are very aware of their own PR these days and the proof will be him scoring goals this season in a fairly low level of the game..much lower than he has played to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Connolly might get a chance to score vs Buffon this season as he’s also in serie B with Parma.

Yeh Parrott put the head down after all of the Kinahan Byrne nonsense. Wasn't afraid to drop into League One either.

I'm fully hoping that Connolly gets the head down and is successful in Italy. Perhaps even attract interest from Serie A. Best of luck to him and hopefully that's the last of these type of interviews.

25k a week is some money for a teenager.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Connolly has about 10 goals in his career, had a few good games at the start and has did nothing since except land a huge contract(fair play to him for that).

Into serie B where he'll probably drop off again and blame everyone but himself, really thinks he's something he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The buzz around women's football right now is just brilliant! Hopefully they can get a positive result 🤞🏼

What part of London is Aaron Connolly from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Good luck to Connolly I say.

Many around here have it in for him, dunno if it's begrudgerry of naked jealousy or what. He's a talented kid who lost his way a bit, has had some problems but seems to be facing up to them and is looking to make a new start. It's a challenging position for any kid to be made a millionaire like that if they haven't the proper network around them, you wouldn't wonder at a lad losing his way a bit really.

Good luck to the lad I say, still young enough to make it at a very high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd nearly put the house on it that it'll all end in tears in Venice, probably after numerous fallings out with people and he'll be back England within 12 months, likely with a lower end Championship or League 1 side. Isolation and the language barrier won't help his cause. Wouldn't even surprise me if the Italian gamble is over by Christmas tbh. He's at a major crossroads in his career, if this goes tits up it's hard to see where he'd go after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s mostly just his attitude that’s annoyed people a bit I think… he’s been well known to be a bit of an entitled jerk since ever before he even left Ireland. Hopefully he’s grown up a bit now though. Fingers crossed anyway, there’s a lot of talent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would love to see him succeed and get back into the Ireland set up, no denying he is an exciting player when he is on it. But have a feeling you will be right - very hard to call what options he would have after this spell if it goes tits up.

• Advertisement

I think Serie B is probably at League 1 level in quality terms. Maybe a little higher with some of the teams. Aaron just needs to get the head down now. Stop doing interviews and work hard on and off the field. If he is successful or shows the willingness to improve himself over there he could forge a decent career for himself in Italy and Europe. I'd rather be playing football and living in Venice than going back to England to Bolton or Wycombe. That's me though and that would be part of my motivation.

if he works hard enough he undoubtedly has the tools to succeed.

Best of luck to the chap. I don't actually believe there are any posters here who want to see him fail.

Seeing as this move is probably his chance to show teams at the top of the championship, or those newly promoted that there's a player within him you'd be looking at mid table championship teams if things don't go to plan.

Then again the likes of Ravel Morrison still got moves with Sheffield United picking him up when they got promoted to the Premier League after years of doing nothing.

It's probably safe to say his Brighton career is over, and would probably take him ripping the absolute piss outta teams this season for Potter to give him another chance. But with one year left on his contract next summer they'll more than likely just wanna cut ties and get a few quid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I hope Aaron does well but he just isn't that good of a footballer,

Have to say the jersey he'll be wearing next season is an absolute belter ,

He's not good enough for the top level but I think he has enough about him to forge a decent career in some of the European Leagues and earn a decent few caps for us.

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you may end up being proven right.

I am not sure if people remember, but Connolly gave a similar interview on a podcast this time last year. Acknowledged the previous season hadn't gone well and that he hoped to kick on for the 2021 season. So it's a case of here we go again.

Generally young players who lack the drive, professionalism and hunger to succeed don't undergo radical transformations. I would love for Connolly to turn things around, but I am not convinced he's the type of player with the mentality to do so. As you suggest, my guess is we'll have a good idea by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Almost guaranteed. It’ll be the fault of it being a different language, no support network, loneliness etc. It’ll never be Aaron’s fault, ever.

• Advertisement

Good news for Festy as Udinese have just sold their first choice RWB to Atletico Madrid this morning.

What's are you basing the Serie B - League 1 comparisons on?

Just a bit of digging around on the web. The more I look it seems some of the teams might even be operating at below that level.

The model this company uses has Serie B ranked 15th and League One ranked 21st. They also show strength of the clubs within the league when you look at the SPL in 25th you see the big gap after the top two teams.

Though other companies could use different models to try determine the strength of each league. This is just the one I found as I follow that guy on twitter.

That's fair enough. As I said it was just some digging around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement