Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have to admit I'll be worried going into the Euro 2024 qualifiers. Right now I don't have much confidence in us qualifying. It feels like we have the potential to slip up against almost any team. An opening day defeat in the qualifiers would be disaster and you just don't know what way we are going to play on the day. We've been wildly inconsistent which is very frustrating.

We were very poor last night and created such little chances. By this point in Kenny's reign I thought we would be at the point of beating the smaller nations comfortably. I would love him to get us there but at this point seriously questioning whether it will work out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

We are a small nation, some fans seem to have a " Jack Russell " syndrome thinking they are a medium size dog and acting like they are one. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

replace kenny!.... with who?

he should make better subs!.... who?

if you ask me kenny has been pretty consistent, if you want to know whats going wrong, look at where the players are in there clubs now Vs when he took over

many player were in the prem / looking about to break into prem times

doherty was considered one of the best RB in the prem, duffy was great for brighton, and molumby/connolly were bangin on the door of that side, same at norwich with brady,idah,omabamadelie, mourinho was gettin asked why by the english media why he wudnt give parrot a chance and rest kane, obafemi was tearin it up, hourihane was pretty solid, the list goes on

with the exception of bazunu, collins almost the entire squads club level has declined, think you all are givin kenny to much credit tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Having the likes of Carsley though is no different to having Kenny.

The guy has no managerial experience other than a few caretaker jobs and the England u21 job.

If we have learnt anything from the Kenny tenure it is that someone with nothing other than LOI experience and underage experience is just not going enough for international senior manager.

You need someone with at least a few years championship level experience for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Why do? Look at what Giggs did with Wales, and Rob Page. Others suggested Michael O'Neil and he got his break with the North after his Shamrock Rover stint. Why cant it work? We have an arogance that if someone hasnt managed in England their no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

In world football we are a small nation, and with the releatively small budget we have at our disposal there is a low ceiling as to who we can appeal to.... no getting past that fact. Some of the suggestions on here have been ludicrous and totally unrealistic.

Why the Championship out of curiosity? Where is the line for what consists as valid and invalid experience for a manager? Just a quick look shows Sweden, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Latvia, Belarus all have managers whos only club experience is in their domestic league too.

Would L1 experience be sufficient? SPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

couldnt agree more

and the amount of people on here complaining about his subs, thinkin were brazil, england or france, if we had players capable of changing a game they would be in the starting lineup already not sat on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That is one of the most nonsensical posts I've ever seen in this thread in all honesty.

Plenty of teams promote youth/underage managers into the senior role.

Championship is a fairly decent level.

I would not be convinced that below that a manager would be able to cut it.

We have seen that LoI and underage experience is not good enough at this level, we even saw that as far back as Kerr, and now we see it with Kenny.

As for the other countries with the exception of Luxembourg their leagues are all better than LOI, so I'd not be surprised that they put faith in their local managers.

Giggs was blessed with one great player and a lot of very good ones, a bit like the Charlton and McCarthy eras here, it was a golden generation type scenario.

I'd not trust Michael O'Neill to be any better than Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sounds like a bit of a catch 22 situation there though - if some non-Irish up and coming manager is doing well in the championship, the last thing they’re going to want to do is to drop out of club football to take an international job with next to no upside (and where their fate is almost as dependent on injury/form in those brief windows as their own acumen). Decent championship performances put you on the cusp of potentially huge things. We’re just not an attractive proposition for someone like that…

(the average championship manager is on around a million euros a year too…)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It’s both. His in game management as others have put it hasn’t been good.

Substitutions is not always about changing a game, it’s often about keeping momentum going and replacing players that have given their all with fresh legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The organic system has worked well in Scandinavia by which I mean appointing a home grown national team manager who has risen through the ranks. The difference with Ireland is that we lack the structure, training programmes and facilities that those countries possess so we don't produce enough players of sufficiently good standard to cut it at international level and that standard is Premiership. English Championship and Scottish Premier level players are out of their depth even against the likes of Ukraine and Armenia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We should be looking at the setup in Luxembourg, azerbaijan and armenia is what ive been told.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If you paid any attention to grassroots football here you’d know that we’re trying to do just that with the establishment of the underage elite leagues of Ireland.

You keep posting snarky comments to dismiss what others are saying though, while simultaneously ‘supporting’ the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭jacool

At some point, somewhere along the line here, you should realise that you are just embarrassing yourself.

I have been reading the comments here, and I will admit that you made 1 or 2 logical points, but these are lost, and frankly dismissed, when weighed up against the bitter, nonsensical, trying-to-provoke-a-reaction timbre of the vast majority of your posts.

Clearly you have issues with Stephen Kenny, I think we all get that by now.

Please don't let your last 2 posts be the standard of tripe you seem happy to post on here, and try to dis rail what are reasonable debates where I can see "both sides", by and large, having fair and measured arguments. In the end, there should only be "one side" - with us trying to work out how best to get there.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement

It was in midfield that Scotland came back into the game and where Armenia got right back into it. I'd like to see him do something to strengthen that area and trying Collins there in those friendlies in November could be worth a try. Another option would be Coleman as you say or maybe Doherty with Coleman going to right back, but that would only be a short term fix.You need something for the Euros and those November games should be used with the Euro qualifiers in mind. Another option would be go 4-2-3-1. Get another DM in with Cullen. Two wide players and Parrot in a 10 role supporting Obafemi. If you do that Collins would need to be a more orthodox centre back, I think he has the quality to be more than that.

Midfield is a problem though that needs addressed going by the last couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Midfield is a huge problem going forward. Nothing and no manager will change that unless players come through at club level and at the moment i just dont see anyone coming through. Some have suggested Smallbone but what i seen of him in the 21s games, he lacks pace and games pass him by. Coventry might come through but hes 22 (i think) now and still not a starter anywhere. He needs to get out and become a starter.

Someone like Coleman or Doherty could be worth trying in there. As suggested i think Parrott will end us as a 10 as i dont see the finishing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got my ticket for the Haland Experience in the Avvia on the 17th Nov

€55 for upper West stand a bit pricy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It it's not on TV some people just don't care. Hopefully with the new lad Marc Canham in as director of football and John Morling brought in to work with him we'll see even more changes in the coming years. Some good work has been in the last ten years but we're still playing catch up majorly for the years of mismanagement at the top.

If there are problems with midfield it is absolutely the job of the manager to do whatever he can about it. He needs to modify his formation and tactics to play to the strengths of his players and deal with weak areas in the team and squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

A bit pricy Christ at least Dick Turpin had to decency to wear a mask.

Would rather avoid a six team group. Like Qatar they might pair Germany with a group and wouldn't mind that or if they could find a couple of friendlies against other teams would be better than Andorra, San Marino, or Liechtenstein.

Would be fairly close to a dream draw if that were to come to fruition! The difference between best and worse case scenario for this draw feels particularly big.

Why would that be? I'd actually feel the opposite. I think getting 6 points on the board from playing an Andorra or san Marino or whatever would have to be good for the confidence. Although that is not a given anymore.

I presume the 3 game windows are a thing of the past now are they?

Won't know the fixture schedule until after the draw takes place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes, no more triple headers. 5 double headers (March, June, Sept, Oct, Nov) so still fairly intense.

Note : Croatia can't be in a 6 team group, so that 'most likely draw' posted above is immediately flawed.

Having had a look through it I would think the dream draw might be:

Hungary, Finland, Ireland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's the exact line up I picked out myself, fingers crossed.

Worst possible draw would probably be Spain, France, Georgia/Turkey, Slovakia. Reality is if we are the unlucky ones to be in the group with a Pot 1 team plus France or England then we've no hope. Given the top two teams automatically qualify that's a huge prize as historically our aim was to grind out that runners-up spot and hope for the best with a play-off. Have we any chance of qualifying if we finish 3rd in the group via the NL pathway?

After this NL campaign I was saying I don't want to have to face Wales, Scotland, Denmark or Georgia for a long long time - sick of the sight of them at this stage (and they'd most likely say the same about us) but Wales or Scotland would be very welcome if it meant avoiding France and England.

If I'm honest, I just can't see us making it but at the same time, failing to get there would also be crushing. 24 team tournament, the hosts Germany would have qualified anyway and with Russia disqualified that removes another direct rival who most definitely would have taken up a qualification spot so that makes our job that little bit more achievable. 53 teams in Europe (excl. Germany and Russia) with 23 more to qualify, it's nearly more about not being too sh!t than it is about being good enough. Really are no more excuses now, it's sh!t or bust time for Kenny and if he doesn't get us there he's definitely gone, think everyone is in agreement with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Supposedly worse teams than Ireland on paper a lot of those, but they will set up in a low block and go on the counter against Ireland. And Ireland will struggle to break them down.

Sure we saw that in previous games, and didn't Finland do a number on Ireland in a previous match? Controlled it and hit on the counter.

I was thinking that if Ireland got a really difficult draw it might suit better -

1) Less expectation/pressure

2) Ireland can play on the counter

3) The big teams will take points off each other.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Finishing 3rd in the group is meaningless for qualification, it's no different to finishing 6th.

A play-off place would come down to NL performance, and that's marginal. 4 League B teams go into play-offs, and we are 10th in line. So to get a play-off place we would need 6 of the teams in Path B here UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying play-offs - Wikipedia to finish Top 2 in their group and thus not need a play-off spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus

' 53 teams in Europe (excl. Germany and Russia) with 23 more to qualify, it's nearly more about not being too sh!t than it is about being good enough.'

That sounds more like a school sports day, where there are no losers really, and it is 'the taking part that counts!' It used to be a real achievement to qualify, now it is made much easier and Ireland would still need a bit of miracle.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I can see the logic in that as well, I said similar walking home from the match on Tuesday night that we'd nearly be better in a group where everyone will take points off one another. It would mask our inconsistency.

If we were to draw a top nation first seed and then get England or France we are goosed though. They will not drop points to smaller nations and it would mean we would have to take more points from them than they would from us.

Someone made a simulator that gives you possible draws based on ELO rankings, FIFA rankings, and market values which are based off transfermarkt.

Turkey and Slovakia come up as the worst pot 4 and pot 5 teams whichever draw you do. Faroe Islands and Gibraltar come up when looking at the easiest draw based on ELO rankings and market value with Azerbaijan and Moldova being the easiest based on FIFA rankings.

Belgium and France are the worst pot 1 and 2 teams for either ranking system with Portugal and England when you go on market value. Poland and Bosnia come up when looking at the easiest draw based on ELO rankings, and it's Hungary and Israel when looking at FIFA rankings and market value.

Actually this might have used slightly older data as Spain and Netherlands are the two highest ranked teams in ELO rankings as of September 27th. FIFA rankings are only up to date as of August 25th. Not sure when they'll update them and draw is Sunday week.

Georgia have finally made it into League B of the Nations League so it's gonna be our luck that we not only draw them next week for the Euros but also meet them again in the next Nations League.

They've got one young attacking player who looks a cracking player and having a good start to the season with Napoli in winger Khvicha Kvaratskhelia. Has four goals and two assists in seven league games.

Will be our luck though to draw both Wales and Georgia next week and for the 24/25 Nations League.

• Advertisement

They wouldn’t be ties to look forward to but I don’t we’d complain with Wales as top seeds and Georgia as second seeds. Maybe you mean it would be good luck to get a draw like that. Bale is nearly done, Ramsey past his best. Georgia might be an improving up and coming team. Isn’t that what we’re supposed to be with all these young players getting experience and caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭jacool

You'll have my 11 year old son saying the same thing he said after the U-21 match. "Why are Israel in Europe?"

We don't have a player near the class of Kvaradona though.

From what I can see for this draw for the Euros on October 9th we’re pot 3, Georgia are pot 4 and Wales pot 2, so we could still draw both of them. You’d still take Wales from pot 2 instead of France, England, Serbia or Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’m listening to the Talksport commentary on the North London Derby and Matt Doherty is getting destroyed. ‘Probably one of the worst substitutions ever’ he’s all over the shop’ , ‘better off playing with 9 than having Matt Doherty playing’ ‘ Not nice to listen to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No Connolly in the Venezia squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Maybe Doherty will start next few games as Emerson royal got sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement