Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think our only hope of defending is to keep the ball. A lot of our defenders are very average if even that. Any time an opposition gets near our box it feels like it's almost a goal. I wouldn't be calling them our strong point.

I agree on the subs though. Does he actually think that's the best we have to bring on. If he is right and those are our best "game changers" we are in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

The substitutions decisions can definitely be questioned last night but the black hole of creativity that is our midfield is a huge issue at this stage that I don't think anyone can solve. Thought Molumphy was dreadful last night, lots of effort but zero quality. Cullen was better but he really does leave the backline exposed at time and his passing is only average. Browne took his goal well but he's not going to pick out passes and create chances. I also don't see anyone in the squad or the larger playing pool that will be able to provide the creativity we need bar Jack Byrne but he hasn't been the same player since he went to Cyprus and is injured a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Government should take that money they're spending for the Euros and set up a national stud farm where they get Wes Hoolahan to just start knocking out sprogs in the hopes one of them grows up to be that midfielder, or use his DNA to starting cloning one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not happening.

He's here at least until the end of the Euro 2026 qualification in about a years time.

And he already has a excuse because the group is tough.

What you'll see are the odd "green shoots" in losses against the Netherlands and France, and inconsistency all round in the other games.

As we are here in November 2022 has the team progressed in any way shape or form since the first game in September 2020 ?

Alf Haaland and his Olympic athlete wife make a good case for eugenics in fairness.

Is Katie Taylor available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s here for some of the euro 2026 campaign. I wouldn’t say it’s a guarantee he’s there till the end of it.

on a seperate point, people going on about wes hoolahan like he was some generational creative player just shows how poor the level of technician Ireland have produced since decades.

last night was worrying. Norway was missing Haaland but I haven’t heard any one point out they also were missing Sorløth. Our horror draw for 2024 makes changing manager now a stupid idea as no good manager will want the job. The outlook is grim.

Hoolahan became one of those Dunphy messiah's who were held up alongside Pele just so he could rant.

The first step is admitting you have a problem and at least that penny as dropped in regards to youth development.

I wouldn’t say much of a penny has dropped. The big story in Irish football is hosting the euros. Unless I start hearing that the government will use the profits from hosting it towards improving football infrastructure i assume they will bank the cash and use it towards other sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

I fear that this is very new FAI same as the old FAI. They money being spent to upgrade/build 2 gaa stadiums would be much better used to put money into facilities for LOI acadamies or LOI stadiums. As you say this will distract people for the time being and if they get the Euros in 2028 the FAI will fight to get an automatic place and then they will be happy out while as i suspect still not having invested in football here properly

• Advertisement

I agree, i think Molumby should start the games against higher ranked teams where he can press and tackle but against everyone else we need someone as you say will break the lines, find a 40 yard pass but again im not sure we have someone like that. Again we havent had anyone in there like that in 15 years and it might be another 15 before someone comes along

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I think he will see out most if not all of the Euros. If he finishes 3rd which i think they should it will come down to how they ended up there. If it was like world cup campaign theres the argument that "we were out of the group after 2 games" versus "we finished where we should". At that stage to me it will be about if his subs have improved, found a better way to play against lower seeded teams and beat them comfortably or not. If those things dont change i think we should then move on but only if the right man is out there to carry on and improve what Kenny has done. If the FAI go through a process and end up with Chris Hughton then i for one wont be following the senior team and giving the FAI money.

Its not really got to do that much with the government.

The reason why the Euros are the big story is because most fans don't pay any attention to the underage and instead just scream and roar about our crap senior side when it's too late.

The old system was to just hope some English clubs make a team for us which is why nothing was coming through but the current kids on the Irish team actually got some support. That needs to continue and grow.

The long standing model of Irish football that the FAI have to support every level of football in the country through the income raised from the mens senior national team with minimal government help except when the association can no longer avoid bankruptcy is a model that does not work unless we have a very good senior mens team.

we can decide that we don’t want government to be on the hook for improving football infrastructure in Ireland but don’t expect anything good to happen football wise here if that is the continuing position

Soccer gets a lot more money from the government than every sport bar GAA so I don't think it can be to government that we look.

The attitude has already changed for the better in regards to underage so let's hope it continues that way.

Cause we won't have a good senior team if we don't have 10 years of hard work at underage. Other countries copped that first and have passed us out at senior now.

I think that post is wrong on a number of levels

-football gets more than the GAA these days.

-horse racing is a sport and gets more than both, I don’t have a huge problem with that personally

My problem is that sport in general is chronically underinvested in Ireland

• Advertisement

Kenny is here until the summer minimum. The FAI aren't gonna sack him now after backing him and potential new managers are gonna look at our qualifying group and possibly say give me a call when Septembers games have passed.

If Greece batter us come June then the FAI may very well pull the plug and sack him there and then but IMO will find it tough to get someone to come in when first game up is France away followed by Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking realistically if Ireland put in ‘batting performances’ v Holland/France not losing more than 3-0 most people will say fair enough/fair dues. No pressure on those games, zero pressure.

Plus it suits Ireland to play on the counter. To me the Greece and Gibraltar ones are the ones that worry me. Particularly Gibraltar.

My head says Kenny could easily find a way to make a balls up against Gibraltar. And at this stage it would not surprise me at all. What does that say?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Well at least the Irish are the best in world with regards horse-racing so it's invested properly.

Football is a joke, nothing being developed at underage levels really. They finally have a few National league underage now but still missings U-16s which doesn't make sense(typical FAI) but it's still well behind other countries. Brexit probably did more for youth football as they can't go over until they're older now.

Stadium facilities are a disgrace in the league as well bar a few.

I think big money needs to be invested into the national league so that can grow and then they are able to develop youth teams themselves. At the minimum they should be at least showing one game a week and advertising the league.

I think the irish team be struggling for years to come and can't really blame Kenny. Team is full of average championship players.

Although one big criticism is why isn't he picking Manning as he's one of the championships best defender this season and it's not as if we are blessed with LB's.

Subs were terrible last night as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kenny is awful end of story,

We only ever look like a threat when we go down a goal or two & his tactics & style go out the window & we go direct,

How he is still in a job is beyond me , he was never cut out to get it in the first place,

It’s not really the end of the story though is it?

kenny is overpaid in my opinion but that was delaney’s doing. We can’t afford much as a replacement.

but Kenny is only part of the story, a very small part of the lamentable state of Irish football that some continuously ignore

• Advertisement

What the FAI should do is get the finger out now and find a coach to come in to replace Eustace. They very well might need him as a plan B to finish out the campaign depending on how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Nope. We have made absolutely no progress under Kenny and have regressed at an alarming rate as an International side under his tenure. But then again what does one expect when you appoint a manager who was always going to be out of his depth. Bar a one off victory over Scotland our results have been woeful in his 29 matches in charge. In reality, he should have been given the boot against Luxembourg. He has the worst record of an Irish senior international manager ever, he has terrible communication skills and we have been very average to watch for someone who was supposed to get us playing ''exciting'' football. We have no clear identity in our way of playing. Everyone now fancies their chances against us no matter how lowly they are. The only thing of note he has done is blood a few players but overall 2 years (heading into 3) have been completely wasted.

The reality you fail to ignore is we have been regressing for 10 years or more. Results have been getting worse for years, performances have been getting worse for years, this time around the results have been worse but this has been going on for at least 10 years so dont just blame Stephen Kenny. Every ex international says it take around 15-20 caps to be comfortable at senior level. Look at the amount of games the young players are getting. Kenny might not be man to get the best from them but the next guy will definitely be thanking him.

We have made some progress, you just choose not to see it. The biggest bit of progress is as i already said the amount of young players getting caps and the amount of older pros that are no longer relied on (although I think some more of the older lads should also be shoved out the door). The style of play has also progressed. Under MON we could not string passes together. As someone else said I think Ireland best chance of defending is actually keeping the ball because hoofing it away did not work. They are also much better to watch in my opinion, you may disagree with that but they are which has been proven by the match going fans. It may not work out in the long run but the next guy in will definitely be thanking Kenny.

Have we not being on a gradual fairly unbroken decline since the 2002 World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny really should should sit down early next week when he gets home and have a good look around for a media training company and spend the next couple of months training with them on how to deal with interviews he can't even bluff an interview after years in the job he always looks like a deer in headlights.

That kind of training will do him good for the rest of his managerial career wherever that takes him after the Ireland job he is getting well paid by the FAI he might as well use some of that money to upskill in an area he is clearly very very weak in and that is hugely important in the game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s like the emperors new clothes. You’re talking nonsense. There is zero progress under Kenny. We are regressing at a rapid rate.

Last night he was more worried about his own record rather than progressing the team. Hendrick and Brady was shoring the team up for a draw in a pathetic unsanctioned friendly ffs. He’s a coward and incredibly out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Kenny's job was to improve us, not continue the decline.

And the decline has continued.

We are no better today than we were 2 years ago.

Well i think a good few things have improved while results have gotten slightly worse. Both things can be true. Again ill state that many former ex internationals who have critisised Kenny have also said it took them 15-20 caps to feel like the felt comfortable and knew how to play international football.

So you dont count young players getting caps as progress? In my opinion a better style of play for the players we have and the players clearly playing for him as progress? Yes results havent been great but many players after last night slated themselves and said they need to be better. Has the manager to do better also, yes and if he doesnt he will most likely be gone after the euros. If it doesnt work out then we move on.

Pulled it back a bit in 2016 I think. Got to a last 16 anyway. Only ever bettered once in any tournament by Big Jack.

In terms of the quality of players produced rather than just analysis based on results I would say it’s being a fairly consistent decline all the way since 2002. That has eventually been bucked with our young generation now but they are kids for now.

• Advertisement

The thing is any eejit can blood young players. Staunton did that with a good few, among them Joe Lapria.

The question is not just a manager blooding a player. It is finding decent players that are eligible to play for Ireland if possible. Then moulding what you have into a team structure. Which in Ireland's case given the lack of technical ability, would have to have such a level of cohesiveness that makes them play better than the sum of their part.

That is the goal of any manager. Identify the best players available, find the system/style of play that gets the best out of them. Then hopefully within that style and system get the players to overachieve.

I would argue the only thing Kenny has done is blood young players, as I said Steve Stanton could do that. A good manager goes beyond that. Moulds the system and improves the players. All in one goal, to get good results.

He has a system and changed from his original shape to suit the players he has.

I get where your coming from but how can an international manager improve players? He doesnt have enough time, its about getting them to play together and get the best out of them. Is Kenny doing that? Its debateable depending on what side of the fence you fall on.

To my eyes the current system is getting the best out of the players and is creating chances we just dont have the players to finish them off. What the team is lacking is a number 10/creative midfielder to set up better chances, we just dont have that player yet.

Well thats not really true. In reality you could argue that was 2016 was the same as 2012. One was a 16 team tournament the other a 24 team where 3 teams came out of the group. In 2002 they got knocked out in the last 16 of a wc.

But the problem is I honestly don't Kenny's style of play IS getting the best out the players. It is making them underachieve. Can you name one or two results in a row, where you can say oh that was a great result? I can't. I can name loads of matches where the players underperformed.

An international manager can improve players, get a simple and effective system that suits the level of players available. And don't over complicate it. Each player knows their roles. Set pieces attacking and defensive constantly worked on etc.

How do you know they dont all know their roles? Alan Browne said after last night that the players need to get consistent and perform better. I think all the players know their roles and the system and they are just not consistent enough. Maybe some players are mentally weak, maybe some thing they are better than they are, maybe some are simply not good enough yet or not at all and we are where we are. None of that forgetting Kennys faults. For example Irelands best striker statistically is Hogan but has been terrible for Ireland on his few starts. Some players are playing above their ability for Ireland and many are playing well below. Last night two of our best defenders made mistakes from set pieces, thats not down to the system or tactics or manager. Sometimes mistakes are on the players and not the manager. Last night id pull Kenny on some of his selection and subs but not much else.

What style of play would you implement with the players we have?

I would set Ireland up like the way the Ladies Ireland team set up. Defensive few risks play on the counter with quicker ball when the opponent is not set. More energy and moving the ball quick. Not high ball or hoofing it - just quicker urgency when there is a chance to break.

Because then can get the best out of Obafemi /Robinson/Ogbene’s pace on the break.

The constant slow side to side passing for the sake of it in Ireland’s own half - easy to defend against and kills the energy/momentum Ireland require to be able to be a threat.

And obviously have set pieces well drilled defensively and attacking ones. It would at least worry the opposing team more and play to Ireland’s strengths. Energy, pace, workrate, set pieces.

You don’t have to be skilful to work and chase. Plus defend in a solid block in numbers. Just fit and be willing to move the ball quick when have the chance. That is only organisation/mindset and it starts with the manager.

But he does that against the better teams. Its where our better performances have been. Team in and around us or ranked lower than us tend to sit in a low block so you cant even really play counter attacking football against them.

The womens team are a hard watch, its a mix of trap/mon football. I think football has moved on and so should we. Very few of the players play like that at club level. Kenny has basically repeatedly said that he has told them to play at a higher tempo and gets frustrated when they dont. Maybe thats the players reverting to type at times, players themselves have said that they dont play with enough tempo.

Defensive football is the reason fans turned on trap/mon/mick in the stadium. I think because we are trying to win games rather than not lose is the reason stadium fans havent turned, yes results have not been good but their is more entertainment.

Many of the things you have said you would like to see,i can see in the team. Maybe its rose tinted glasses either way and i suppose as i said your opinion is based on whether your Kenny in or Kenny out. For me, if we went back to defensive football i would not be watching the senior team, most MON/Mick games i turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

@athlone99 Fair play to you. Not sure how you maintain the energy to keep debating. That was fairly dire last night

I don’t want Kenny sacked pointless at this stage, but I would like to see improvements.

Ironically I found that game last night really boring - first half in particular. Ireland going slowly side to side in their own half. Norway under no threat. I was shouting move the ball quicker. Very frustrating to watch. Mix it up a bit instead.

The way I saw it Ireland only pushed forward quicker a bit in the second half because Norway retreated, they were happy with 1-0 and play on the counter.

Well i only seen the 2nd half, first 15/20 minutes of that was decent. But yes from what i gather it was poor especially the 1st half. Looking back it was like an end of year friendly where players were just looking forward to their holidays.

Kenny may not be the man long term but he has done some good things. I dont think all the abuse he has received has been fair but a fair share of it has been. But people ignoring the last 10/15/20 years and saying its all Kennys fault is completely wrong and proves some dont really follow irish football. I think he should still get the euros and if it doesnt go well the FAI need to find and bring in someone to carry on what Kenny has started.

• Advertisement

I seen the 2nd half only. Was a classic end of year type game with players looking forward to their holiday. Norway sat in a low block and defended deep, they had a plan and it worked for them. I think this ireland team are a team that if they dont score early they get nervous or panicky and then revert to type and play is safe, not sure if thats on the manager or players. I think the reaction at the start of the 2nd (i hope) was more because they got a bollocking at half time rather than Norway sitting back. 2nd half was 2 teams who had no interest in being there.

As much as i think Kenny is head strong at times i think his record with Ireland and people constantly bringing it up is doing him and the team harm or at least thats my excuse for him making the subs he did. If he experimented and lost most wouldnt care and would give him a pass bit he went with a strong team and lets say experienced subs and he still lost. He has a bad habit of creating a rod for his own back and i think it will be his downfall because he can now no longer say hes building for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I still find it amusing how Kenny is praised for getting "the best" out of the players he has with his "entertaining" football.

Yet his tactical system requires a playmaker to actually work, there is no Irish playmaker hence it just becomes aimless possession for just possession sake with no threat. Hence the dire results he has had. He ISN'T maximizing what we have as he is relying on what we don't have to make his "system" work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Oh I agree with a lot of what you say. Just wouldn't have the energy to keep arguing the point over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, in most games we've created more than enough good chances to win - we've just not scored them.

That is it in a nutshell- really frustrating to see. It makes Ireland easy to play against, a soft touch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Look it’s clear that there are 2 camps now with the supporters . One want Kenny out and point to his record as worst manager wev ever had and the other says he’s doing well but doesn’t have the players

I don’t think either is going to change their mind now at this stage . As a loi fan I was a Kenny in man and knew it would be a great reflection on the league if he did the business . But it was Kenny who told us that we had the players to play this style of play and get results at the same time . There’s no point in arguing anymore because people who want kenny out have lost all patience and people who want kenny in will defend him 10 years from now when he’s well gone and will say all he needed was more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What young players are in the team that wouldn’t be playing under any manager???

I don't buy this have not got the players line, even if you set the bar appropriately low for the players available they have not even been hitting that standard. If people are really honest they would admit that. But a lot are not.

For example I 'typed in 'otb stephen kenny' into you tube.

One of the tags was "Kenny's legacy could be, 'what might have been' "

And that was only a month ago after the last gasp 3-2 Armenia win. I mean, what a spin to put on things!

No point in sacking Kenny now anyway, he gets the full campaign. Let's see if he turn his optimistic chat into results/performances.

It is mad to think in 2016 Hendrick was proclaimed the next Irish star. Like a lifetime a go now.

But all that can be done is solid organised structure to combat the lack of technical midfield players. I am not sure Kenny wants to do that though. It is against his ‘philosophy’.

I still am a bit baffled how some seem to praise Kenny for a change in ‘style’ . Did I miss a day Kenny was wearing a nice Roddy Collins type suit on the sideline?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Tonight's a lose lose for Kenny imo. Raf Diallo says we're in search of a morale boost tonight before the next game in March, but I think even a win tonight means **** all when you consider we've the big guns out when other teams are looking at new faces in a window that has as much enthusiasm as a pre season friendly against your local non league side.

Was all for Kenny getting the new contract and feel it's not qualification or bust . That a strong showing is good enough for a contract beyond next year but honestly wouldn't be upset either if the FAI bit the bullet and he didn't see the campaign out till the end. Anything but a win tonight and they should definitely start making some enquires to whomever is on their list of potential candidates.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement