Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Heard a rumour that it’s the same team as the other night bar Kelleher, Coleman and Hendrick coming in.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Coleman, Hendrick, and Kelleher is the talk regarding changes. I thought McClean and a different striker would have come in too, but those three are ones mentioned as the most likely changes from Thursday.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's an absolute joke if he's only making 3 changes in this and Hendrick is one of them. Smallbone for Browne, Sykes for Molumby, Ogbene for Robinson, Kelleher for Bazunu, Scales for O'Dowda, Lenihan for any of the cb's. What's the point bringing in new players or lads that haven't had much time and then giving them no chance, even against the minnows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

By right the likes of Hodge, Coventry and Smallbone should be getting looked at against Malta. However, Kenny's record is so brutal as Irish manager which is the reason why he is treating these friendly matches like they are as important as a World Cup playoff. The sooner the FAI get rid of him the better as it is only delaying the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe we should wait till after the game to decide if the young lads have had enough time?

I'd be grand with a reasonably stronger team to start, with kids getting a half hour. Last thing you want is to start all the kids and then see the whole thing become a disjointed mess and maybe even get a bad result.

On the repeated Hendrick thing - no problem with him being a squad member. I wanted him absolutely gone forever after his performances under Mick and MON's last campaign, but Kenny's actually gotten some very good performances out of him. He's never going to be a workhorse, but in games we have more of the ball he's a valuable addition and offers something we don't have a lot of. Hourihane was the one needed to be dumped, and it seems he has been. Cullen, Knight, Molumby is our fairly nailed on starting trio in midfield, so no harm having a more experienced decent ballplayer in the squad along with a few more kids.

Hourihane hasn't been dumped. Would have been in the squad only for Derby didn't release him.

He's the one i'll be annoyed about if he comes back and gets time in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure the kids will get sub 10 minute appearances a la Ferguson.

Similar, and I don't mind Hendrick but these games should have seen a Smallbone, Coventry, or Hodge getting minutes within that midfield three.

Like tonight's game would have been perfect to probably throw Coventry in as the deeper one and let Cullen play that box to box role Hendrick does next to him. If your starting Cullen deeper then throw Smallbone in next to him and see how he gets on in that Hendrick role.

Even Mick who was a conservative manager was more experimental in his two friendlies given Cullen and Byrne debuts in midfield. Saw them as opportunities to give the squad players minutes in the starting XI. Even if he did start Hourihane at LB once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

If that rumoured team is true then it's a complete joke. No point bringing in Coleman and (especially) Hendrick when you could be giving younger players a chance to show what they can do and gain valuable experience.

Someone made the point up above, and I agree with it completely, that because Kenny is constantly on the verge of calls for his head, he's unwilling to risk experimenting, as if it goes wrong he'll be pilloried for it.

That rumoured team has actually sucked the little amount of enthusiasm I had for the game from it. A complete nonsense.

• Advertisement

There is no real wins to take away from this game, as if we beat them handy/comfortably it'll be "it's only Malta". If we struggle/don't win/lose it'll be calls for Kenny's head from the usual crowd.

Playing the new players in the squad would've at least given a glimpse as to whether they are capable (or close to it) yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Playing the new players in the squad would've at least given a glimpse as to whether they are capable (or close to it) yet

But he can't afford to do it.

All his BS and jibberish over the past few years has painted him into such a corner that he can't afford to put out an experimental squad v Malta in case they don't win.

It doesn't matter if they lose because he is getting the Euro campaign anyway, but his ego can't take a loss.

That's how pathetic it has become under his management.

Believe we only have the 24 in the squad anyway. 25 were named even though it said 26 I believe, and only Sykes was called up to replace Keane and Hogan.

Similar I think this is the first game in a few years I've genuinely got little interest in. Don't think I'll be going out of my way to watch it and will catch the highlights later tonight when I get home.

Starting XI

.............................Kelleher

................Coleman Egan Collins

Doherty Browne Cullen McGrath McClean

.....................Ogbene Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Happy enough with that, as long as Smallbone and Ferguson get around a half hour.

Both O'Shea and Lenihan are on the bench so Coleman coming into CB is disappointing when O'Shea and Lenihan have done well especially playing together back in September.

The only other option we've seen at RWB this year has been Alan Browne while Sykes has been an unused sub in all three of his match day squads.

Disappointing not to see Smallbone getting a start. Surprised McGrath got the nod over Hendrick to come.

Up front it's possibly looking like Obafemi and Ogbene will be vying for one spot with Parrott and Robinson vying for the other.

Kenny better hope the lads put a handful of goals past Malta tonight, or the criticism that followed Norway's game will be much worse if the more or less first choice team struggle past Malta in a friendly game. McGrath is possibly the only one that probably hasn't a chance of starting the incoming qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,507 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What 'big guns' have we got? No big guns these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,507 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No way should Robinson be playing. He's been very poor lately.

The thing I'd be most annoyed about is Manning not being there to start at LWB, but sure of course he's not even in the squad so for tonights game that's neither here nor there. In the same way, Coventry not being in the squad feels like a mistake given our dearth of DM options, but again, neither here nor there as far as tonights decision goes.

Would've liked Smallbone ahead of McGrath, but I'm never gonna be too upset about someone's first international appearance coming off the bench instead of starting. So long as he gets a good half hour that's alright.

I don't mind Coleman getting one start over the two games given that he's the captain, while being on the fringe of the first 11... it's no harm to have him involved in games where possible for his leadership since he'll be an important sub in the next qualifiers. Wouldn't have minded seeing Lenihan start, but at the same time, we've so so many CBs ahead of him that it's not really a big deal. Will get game time too I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The day the world cup kicks off, we are playing a friendly in Malta, **** hell how embarrassing is that, Kenny has had a good couple of years at the job and we are still a joke,

It's one of 19 international friendlies on today - it's reeeeeally not a big deal. Likes of Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Norway, Romania etc etc all playing today as well.

Also, keep in mind, the world cup opener between Qatar and Ecuador was supposed to be tomorrow - was only rescheduled to today over the past few months.

Jeysus, is this being played with limited capacity for some reason, or is there just no interest in this game out in Malta?

Aside from the away fans, the place looks deserted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I'd like to see Ferguson and Smallbone get a proper run-out and chance to impress by getting 45 mins each.

It looks like there are more Irish fans there than Maltese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Maltese fans have more sense......... I have supported Kenny since day 1, but there comes a time when he has to start showing some progress, we look like we are pissing in the wind with him in charge.....To me there is zero progress in everything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is that trumpet thing new at Ireland games? Noticed it against Norway the other night too. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Denis O’Brien might have mixed emotions with this fixture.

• Advertisement

RtE player working for anyone else? Getting some message about MPEG dash

Jeysus that was horrendous defending there. Extremely negligent stuff from the CBs. Totally switched off and stopped watching their runners.

Shocking defending there, should be behind. Poor effort in the end.

Collins caught ball watching there. That was a let off for us.

Wolfe Tones getting a lot of airings here after what happened the womens team!

The set pieces have really gone downhill since Barry left.

Pretty sure that's the Malta fans. Can see 'em in the stand the camera is facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Grim

Flat enough that it calls for a few changes at half time.

• Advertisement

Kenny's probably thinking that if he can get Hendrick on we might win this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

First half has been like watching 2 pub teams, 2 poor ones at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Things are still slow and monotonous for me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know it's a mid-season friendly in a mid-season break but it's even worse than that. Kenny needs some urgency in the game, its last game before next campaign starts and with a hard group it needs to be a fast start. Not much confidence in that happening

Such a poor display. Not a single chance created, not a single shot on goal. It doesn't look like we've approached this game with any strategy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Well, that first half was exciting 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😴😴😴😴😴😴😴.

I mean, this is the sort of game he's actually useful in...

Could really bring on both him and Smallbone for a bit more quality on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pretty dire stuff. I don't think the 3 at the back is working atm. Think we need more width than the wing backs. Doesn't help that Doherty is having stinker this match and against Norway. Robinson has been rubbish again tonight. He can't be given 90 minutes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The back 3 are far too cautious in their use of the ball. None of the 3 really pushing on or breaking the lines. It's the same sideways stuff from them every time. McClean has been awful, set pieces and in open play.

McGrath the one player looking like he could do something. I'd have Smallbone for Browne, Brady for McClean and Ferguson for Robinson after 10 minutes of 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

This is Kenny's 30th game in charge. I think it's gone beyond "give him time". How have we progressed since his first game in charge against Bulgaria? We simply haven't. This is appalling. Enough is enough. We will struggle against Gibraltar at this rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement