Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We really need 2 separate formations - 3-5-2 for the games against better teams, where we sit back and hit on the break. It's good, and it works well under those circumstances. But then we need something else for the games against poorer teams who sit back against us. Whether that's a 4-4-2, or 4-3-3, or whatever, just something to give us a better platform to break through with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Kevin Doyle is away with the fairies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness to Cullen he does show for it. Browne just picks up positions that are too high when play is developing. It's obvious though that SK is asking them to go to the wbs all the time though. Our build up play is the exact same in every phase.

A change of formation would make sense. Neither wb can impact the game from so deep.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

There's no momentum rubbish players with a rubbish manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In fairness, we've struggled against Gibralter before Kenny came in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,990 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think these loser friendlies tonight should be taking place at the same time as a tournament. The players don't want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

No substitutes again at half time in a game that's crying out for change.

Has to be the smallest audience on RTE for a match-no one gives a fcuk abt Kenny and the crap he has dished up since taking over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did we ever not beat Gibraltar when we needed to in a qualifier?

No

We also managed to beat other lower seeds regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How often have they looked like they wanted to be there?

It's only a friendly...

OR

It's only the nations league...

OR

It's only another poor performance against opposition that Ireland should/could be beating....handy

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

We've struggled against teams in a low block for 10 years so its nothing new. Players have been poor and Kenny needs to make changes soon, fresh legs will help.

Shocker from Malta, 1 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The poster said struggled, absolutely nobody can deny many of the games were a struggle, considering the better players and manager(s) that were in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

Except Georgia, the last lower seed before Kenny came in.

Total gift that

1 up this could mean kenny gets another few months in charge

even robinson couldnt miss that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

1-0 up...in the bag... time to bring the experienced Hendrix on see if he can offer something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Was the goal our first shot on target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

It's really a hard watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Hendrick on.. dear God .Kenny just quit

Hendrick coming on ffs. It's just depressing.

• Advertisement

Yep. And now he fcuking brings on Hendrick, the difference maker. Why bother calling up Sykes or Smallbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Great to see exciting unknown quantity Hendrick get a run out and chance to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kenny please go

It's just not working out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tickets for tonight were nearly €40. Against Greece earlier in the week they were only €8 apparently. God knows how they came up with that pricing structure.

Can't wait to see gormless Kennys incoherent interview after the game. "Eh listen, look ( uncomfortable pause ) listen we played well (awkward pause ) look listen ya know .Malta are...ya know... I thought we were excellent, ya know( pause ) "

Id save your energy as he is at least here till next summer. If not the whole euros campaign.

Strange subs again from Kenny, hes making a rod for his own back as he cant use the excuse of playing young players and building if your bringing on Hendrick. I know Kenny likes him but how are the coaching staff not seeing what everyone else sees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Their thinking probably was the Irish will likely bring good numbers for a friendly in November so jack up the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

End this sham of a an experiment and get a proper coach in.

If and when Kenny goes, who would take him as a manager?, I'm not talking LOI club, but i honestly don't know who would hire him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Credible 0-0 draw in Georgia, beating Georgia, Gilbaltar home and away (despite the performance) and three results against Switzerland and Denmark.

All and all a goal away from qualification in the final game of the group.

A far, far cry from where we are now despite the ridiculous attempt to conflate tonight's struggle as 'more of the same'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

pinned back in are own half against Malta... we are playing like we are the underdogs, but in saying that, that is probably what we are at this stage...........we are playing kick and rush football, I thought this manager was meant to bring a footballing out look to our play, he has been in charge long enough to start getting a tune out of the players available to him...

Ok and whos going to hire Rob Page when he leaves Wales and what was his experience before getting the job?

Love him or hate him Kenny has forgotten more about football than all of us here. Not excusing that this performance is muck and from looking at it, its as much on the players as it is the manager.

If and when Kenny leaves who would you hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I was in the camp of giving him time a while back I thought at the very least he’s trying to bring through young talent, but let’s be honest it’s appalling he’s so far off he is out of his depth at this level. Sprinkles of positive at times but 30 games on this is shocking.

The big problem is at the FAI, there is nobody really accountable for what’s going on. There’s nobody under pressure for what’s going on which means everyone can just sit tight.

we have a shortage of top talent but it’s nowhere as bad as what Kenny is delivering. His record and performances are embarrassing

Were you saying the same thing when Gerogia were pinning us back for almost all of the game home and away? When have we ever battered and dominated any team, lower or high ranked team.

Not excusing that this is a piss poor performance by players and the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Player Of The Match award is a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

But how the **** can we beat Greece away in a heatwave in June

France with the quality they have could

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

Why is the draw in Georgia credible? It was a dreadful performance that went from us needing a point in our last 2 games to having to win one of them. We didn’t even attempt to go for it even though it practically destroyed our chances of automatic qualification.

Kennys teams breaking down lower seeds is definitely his biggest issue, but it’s not like everything was rosy beforehand.

If Kenny manages a 1-0 away go Gibraltar I guarantee the same people who championed Mick will eviscerate Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

You mean Page who has brought Wales to a World Cup vs Kenny who is statistically our worst manager of all time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jeff Hendrick have one of the worst 20 min cameos I've ever seen for Ireland. A complete cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

that was dire 90 minutes, there has been no progress in his time in charge, it is alright giving time to a manager who looks like he is bringing the team in the right direction, but Kenny actually looks like he is bringing us backwards, he needs **** off this week and a proper coach brought in for the Euros........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Another garbage performance. We didn't win this match, Malta gift wrapped us the winner with a bow. Stephen Kenny is stealing a living. But he'll limp on regardless. I should have watched the final of Ireland's Fittest Family instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Literally anyone is better than Kenny, if his remit was to blood new players then anyone can do that and get better results.

I would take Michael o Neill. There are hundreds of managers in the world who would love to take a part time job that pays more than the president of USA.

That was abysmal, abysmal stuff. No change of gameplay throughout when what we were doing wasn't working. Terrible, delayed substitutions again.

We've actually gone backwards the last 6 months, it's hard to see us getting any points from games against the 3 bigger teams in the next qualifying campaign. Greece will sit in away and pick us off on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It is highly likely that we will be out of qualification for the Euros by June. It is now only a matter of time until Kenny gets the boot. We have only had one real good performance in 2022 and being honest the rest has been average to extremely poor. I'm a big fan of Kenny but it's not working out.

We are hardly going to sack him now though, if they were going to do it then it would've happened after one of the NL games. Frustrating that we can basically chalk off the next campaign before a ball is even kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Kenny backers are in the same boat as the crypto backers at this stage. Blind loyalty in the face of logic.

Yes and what were he creditentials before he got the job?

At the time Kenny on paper was the right man for the job. It probably doesnt look like its going to work out but he deserves the Euros. I think the players arent helping him and hes not helping himself and to me it looks like the record is actually getting into the players heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah I'm off the SK train now. I'll still hope for a turnaround as I don't think he's going anywhere but I'm done defending him in any way after this window.

Definitely feels like he's peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Think we would be out by that point regardless of who is in charge. We aren't going to finish ahead of France or Netherlands. We're hoping the NL playoffs will work out for us.

Would help if we didn't have such a lack of quality in the team. Manager aside we are a really poor team playing at our level which is to be competitive with other minnows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement