Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He did not seem to be aware of the fact that SK was taking over from him at a set time. He has the experience whereby he could have rebuilt the team but he was told he needed to qualify for the euros so JD could parade around Dublin so had no incentive to do anything other than get the best out of the team he had. Introducing too many new players would have been too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What would have been risky about introducing new players? If anything, he had nothing to risk at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sorry who?

Who would you get in on either an interim or permanent basis? I think we can all appreciate that we will have to start considering options this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

His contract was till August 2020 so he was well aware of when the change over was taking place. He was happy enough with it because he got paid handsomely for it and a big bonus for just seeing out his contract.

Could have done a Garth Brooks on it and told JD it's four years or none. He was desperate for Mick to come in and plug the gap till Kenny took over. He would have likely bent over and accepted Mick's demands if it meant JD was stuck with Kenny having to take over the seniors rather than U21s.

Anyone but Mick. We don't need to go there again.

Who though?

Stephen Bradley? Pat Dolan? Sam Allardyce? Pep?

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Maybe, maybe Chris wilder is getable. He’s a class above the other names being mentioned. But there’s no money in the pot and wilder would want up to 1.5 million a year. Maybe could be got for 1 million.

Interesting if this is only a short term deal till the summer or his Bournemouth contract will be longer but they've agreed to match his West Ham wages.

• Advertisement

Who though, what? I never suggested SK should be sacked?

Its a kick for Travers really. Doesnt make sense they would pay that sort of money for another backup. Perhaps with netos injury issue they arent overly confident in mark.

Im fully supportive of Stephen and the team. However we shouldnt bury our heads in the sand. It'll most likely be an issue soon enough.

You were prepared to offer an opinion mccarthy which i happen to agree with you on but you're not prepared to put forward any potential candidates. Its a real possibility that SK should be gone this year. As ive said no point in leaving him there for a painful anti climax to the group.

Wilder is doable id say too.

Carsely also.

Michael o'neill probably cant be got now.

Hughton?

Anthony Barry as manager? Probably wouldnt afford him.

UEFA announced changes today for European qualifiers and the Nation's League to come in after Euro 2024.

Nations League will now have a Quarter final round for League A and there's gonna be promotion/relegation play offs to be played in March.

To sort the issue of games being played in March they've reduced the number of teams in groups for the Euro 2028 qualifiers to four and five teams.

Teams drawn in groups of five will kick off the qualifiers in March, or in June if they are still competing in the UEFA Nations League quarter-finals or are involved in promotion/relegation matches. Teams drawn in groups of four will start their campaigns in September.

Also announced was Slovakia as hosts of the 2025 U21s Euros which could be good news for us as they were ranked higher than us for the 2023 tournament. We're currently ranked 19th which would have had us as the top ranked team in pot 3 but instead we should now be in pot 2 for the draw next week if them hosting moves us to 18th in seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Every year there seems to be changes to the Nation's League. IMO, the best change the could make would be to get rid of it altogether.

You think Barry should be considered for the post of manager? Bloody hell, he wouldn’t make near any list I’d be considering.

and you may think wilder is doable but I’m going to guess you haven’t got a working knowledge of the FAI’s financial position so what you think is doable might not be doable

• Advertisement

Any suggestions yourself? Let Stevie K at it even if results dont improve?

Do nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah it is much better than friendlies in fairness. We have been rubbish in every nations league campaign but it is infinitely more enjoyable than playing friendlies.

I was the one who suggested wilder if a deal could be struck but it probably can’t. You saying you think it’s doable is meaningless. He’ll probably be in a job soon for all of next year aswell.

Goodwin, Bradley just havent a cv to be deemed up to it yet. Appoint carsley if you want but it would be a complete black box.

ultimately the fai have no money so don’t expect a big name but I’d want someone who has at least managed so not Anthony Barry

i don’t know really. Poor Kenny probably isn’t going to have a good 2023. We aren’t ready to compete with France and Netherlands. There are no easy answers for replacements though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Decent number of tickets available for the March games but imagine once tomorrows presales start they will go down with a very small selection available for the general sale

Sorry, Awful take. NL is brilliant and with Brazil Argentina joining will be even better. We just don’t like it coz we have not been successful. We would have loved it in the big jack era

• Advertisement

It's a possibility alright. But the drawer has been very unkind to him but also gives him a little bit of leeway in the "we were drawn with two teams we couldn't really expect to finish ahead of" sense.

However, with the changes in the FAI, particularly with Roy Barrett going, it doesn't seem to help his case.

I would say though that the Dutch have appointed Koeman as their new manager, and didn't overly impress at the WC either. A glimmer of hope. France on the other hand should walk the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The result of France vs Netherlands in Round 1 COULD dictate what way France will treat our game in Round 2. If they lost in Paris then they would need a result in the Aviva

Best for us would be a draw and we somehow drag a draw out of them a few days later

SSN linking Conor Coventry with a loan move to Rotherham.

Best thing about the changes now it makes the competition more competitive. Finishing second or third in League B will now mean playing in a promotion/relegation playoff. Hopefully they go ahead now and add the South American teams plus go away with anymore four game windows in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They only had the 4 game June last time because of COVID. Teams not in the Finals in June will be playing 2 games in June in either World Cup or Euro qualifiers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No mention of how the seedings will work for the smaller Euro Qualifying groups?

I like the changes to the Nations League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Michael Obafemi set to have a medical at Burnley. Good move for him. If he can replicate the form he showed at the latter part of last season there's every chance he'll be getting minutes in the Prem next season when Burnley inevitably get promoted.

Wasn't Covid but forgot about the WC being on which messed up the October and November windows last year.

Nations League should have been September, October, and November but two windows got squeezed into June because of the winter WC.

Interesting that it's being mentioned as a loan move with an obligation to buy for £4m from Alex Crook.

Obafemi could not have hoped for a better move than that. Hopefully he has his head screwed on and can kick on with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The only tickets showing available are 175 each and no kids or family tickets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No mention of seeding just said all play all which could mean anything at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

I got a kids ticket bang on 12:00, but got timed out because a gift card wasn't working. When I went back in, there were none left, and only the 175 euro tickets were showing, but when I selected just the 65 and 80 euro tickets, some options came up. Had to pay adult price for my daughter, and we're right up the very top, but better than nothing.

Have no problem in theory with the bundle idea and I can see why they are doing it, and we'd have been trying for tickets for both matches anyway, but I'd imagine it will be frustrating to see better seats left empty at the Latvia game that I would have been willing to buy had it been sold separately. (Previous matches, because we could get child tickets, we've usually managed something in the 103 to 107 area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why are games on a Monday?

A really difficult night to try to go to a game unless you are in and around the Dublin area.

Was thinking of trying to get the season ticket for me and young lad, but decided against it. Monday night games simply aren't viable coming from Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great move for him , Kompany has then well organised and playing good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Filter the price options to only include the cheaper seats.

There are very good seats at front of upper south still going for 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Surely going to be the same issue for all weekdays?

Not feasible to have all the games at weekends without doubling the international breaks

Will take him a bit to get up to speed especially having not played since the international games in November and for all we know could have been made train by himself at Swansea.

Looking at Burnley's business this month looks to me they're getting lads in now so they're fully up to speed for next season. Could see him playing mostly from the bench this side of March's international window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. Whatever about the intricacies involved with the format I would much prefer the nations league then friendlies.

• Advertisement

Coventry City have confirmed McNally on loan till the end of the season along with signing Seanie Maguire from Preston on a short term contract till the summer.

Thats a good move for Luke. Crucial that he stayed in the championship. Hasnt worked out for him at Burnley so putting a good foot forward for a permanent championship move is important. Also a very good move for Seanie. Id have thought he might be dropping down the divisions. Coventry not expecting goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭secman

Coventry tried to buy Luke but Kompany was adamant that it was loan only. Hopefully he gets a run , has played well in any game he played with Burnley, just a few more experienced lads ahead of him there.

Fulham looking to make Shane Duffy's loan permanent on a short term contract till the summer to free up a loan spot for Arsenal's Cedric Soares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You'd wonder if he should just look for an alternate loan for the second half of the season altogether... he's out of contract in the summer, so could maybe do with playing a bit to raise his profile. Has barely played this year for Fulham at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah if he really wants to be playing and Fulham reach an agreement with Arsenal for Soares then he can refuse the short term contract and Fulham would have to cancel his loan to sign Soares. Unless they cancel Dan James or make him permanent to make room for Soares.

It's possible that Duffy is just happy to continue to take Premier League money for the next 6 months rather than stepping down to the championship just yet. You'd wonder what beckons for his after that though. America possibly? Might be the championship but he'd still be looking for a significant wedge.

I see another mad article from Aidan Fitzmaurice in the indo. He says it's last chance saloon for Obafemi at Burnley. Which it clearly isn't. The lad has shown he can score goals at championship level and has done well for us. Strange really but I suppose paper never refuses ink.

I think you need to stop reading Aidan Fitzmaurice articles ;)

No matter where Duffy plays for the next six months he's gonna get his full wages, it just suits Brighton the most that he remains at Fulham for the next few months because they're likely paying his full wages.

For Duffy himself, if he stays at Fulham they may offer him a contract in the summer to stay on as back up with a better wage than he'd get in the Championship. As for his international career, could well still make squads as a back up at Fulham and even if he moved to the championship could still find himself only on the bench for Ireland earning less money.

Connolly with a decent goal, deflected finish, a minute after a bad miss on a chance he made with a brilliant first touch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement