Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

Atmosphere was definitely great there last night - massive change from the atmosphere against Latvia. I've been to a few games there in the past couple of years, and it was definitely one of the best - right up to the very end. (11 year old daughter did learn a few choice new ways to refer to the ref though, but what can you do... once she doesn't use them in her own matches, I suppose)

Was a bit disappointed that Smallbone didn't get on - would have like to see what he could have added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Might be something to that. Plus the way he was sacked felt hard done by. I think it is mostly the chat or ‘spin’ (as Kerr calls it) by Kenny that winds Kerr up big style. Kerr does not see him as honest.

The spin on number of wins - which are only against really weak sides. Times where Kenny’s Ireland were played off the park - then Kenny somehow manages to waffle about positives or a process.

And the worst bit of all is when Kenny goes on about the ‘new’ philosophy he is bringing to Irish football. But he has not the players to play it. Then only plays well when reverts to type - frantic fast ball - intensity - set pieces - low block - closing down - direct fast ball. But Kenny tries to ignore that fact - time and again.

I completely understand Kerr’s issues with Kenny. Because I have heard and seen enough of Kenny’s Ireland - and his media bluffing to get annoyed with the Kenny spin/antics as well.

But maybe that view is in the minority on this thread? As many posters constantly ape Kenny’s lines of being positive/taking positives to the verge of being delusion. As if the slightest criticism is against Ireland’s saviour of football.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I think Kenny's team is doing OK. Directly comparing how Ireland dealt with France and how the Netherlands did was chalk and cheese. We had Mbappe wrapped up until he was no threat, and I enjoyed the crowd booing his every touch! What Kenny does not do is the media. As parts of being a manager go, its the least important - he just comes across as stilted and defensive. He should feign a sore "Dyche-like" throat and let someone else talk. On the pitch I liked the fact that we weren't hoofing the ball out a la "Steve Staunton" (player not manager) and the players looked confident on the ball. A pity they forgot rule 101 of football - never play the ball across your 18. That's what frustrated me the most. France didn't create their winner, and Bazunu only had a few "easy" saves to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭trashcan

I believe there’s an open top bus parade scheduled for later !

My tuppence overall. We were very good I thought considering the opposition, and a whisker a from getting a draw. What I think overall is that sometimes it’s almost easier to play these kind of games, if that makes sense. Work hard, be compact, use the ball sensibly when you’ve got the chance. We did that really well last night. Where we’ve fallen down in games under Kenny is when we had a lot of the ball and have to break teams down. Greece will still be a tough challenge in that regard. Two players who have the potential to help in that regard are In think Even Ferguson and Mikey Johnston. With packed defences, a tricky player who can take people on might make all the difference, and Ferguson might be the goal poacher we need.

• Advertisement

if I remember correctly it was the Irish crowd that got Kerr the sack. The vibe was against him. Much like how the Irish supporters got Mick (part 1) the sack with chants of ‘Keano’ v Russia.

And it is the Irish supporters who are now ironically keeping Kenny in a job.

Because they are so desperate for ANYTHING that could be spun as positive it is then blown up as something more. I would guess the core of those who are indoctrinated on the ‘In Kenny We Trust’ are the younger demographic 15-30.

The main supporter vibe/view can have a big say if a manager is given time in a job.

Kenny is very lucky expectations are so low, and the group is so difficult. Bar losing v Gibraltar twice (which I doubt will happen) many will be able Ireland was fourth seed- and Kenny did OK. A shock win v one of the big sides might even get Kenny another contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

Every manager speaks like this. They will always promote the positives of their time in the job. Previous Ireland managers have spun the negatives of not reaching their targets as ‘we don’t have the players to compete’. Accusing a manager of ignoring stats you want to use to beat him with is an odd complaint.

You are very fixated on Kenny and his philosophy as if it’s some set in stone thing. He has changed how he wants the team to play several times over the course of his reign. The only constant is that he wants the team to be positive and productive on the ball, which is something I think most fans want too. I think you saw a good, pragmatic version of it last night. Defending in numbers to not allow France to play their game but when they did go forward it wasn’t brainlessly. They identified there was joy down the right wing and the midfielders were intelligent enough to prevent a devastating France break should they lose the ball.

Most I think are in agreement that this performance needs to be followed up with another one against Greece. If Kenny can’t do that he will most likely move on at the end of the campaign.

But whoever comes in after him will have a far easier job because they’ll be handled a fairly young and settled side, and will benefit from the work he has put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kerr is bitter that people don't reminisce about his time in charge and the majority of comments are negative. Yet the manager with the worst win record is talked about positively but many people.

Honestly don't know how anyone watches matches on Virgin Media and just talking about matches in general not just Ireland matches. RTE can be poor at times with whose doing matches but are so much better than the tripe that VM produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

Can't remember exactly but I thought the feeling around when Kerr's reign finished was that his time as manager had run its course. Certainly the last match against Switzerland was a very negative performance with us looking very unlikely to score even though we needed to win. The two year Staunton disaster that followed doesn't shake the feeling that a change was needed after the 2006 qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

@gormdubhgorm is right that the vibes of the crowd have always influenced things massively. Ireland had a very tough group in 2006 and fell short by a couple of kicks over a long campaign. But the feeling was we should be qualifying, 2002 was only 4 years ago and thus everything about Kerr was criticised. Bringing on Doherty to chase games was the complaint dejour of the time.

Kerr should have gotten another campaign, and indeed Keane himself proferred that opinion a couple of years later.

For Kenny, the crowd is desperate for us to move on from the corruption, desperate for us to play a bit more football (well most people are) and ultimately would much prefer Kenny to succeed than try an English league rethread.

This has been driven on by a hugely supportive media, with the likes of Off the Ball apologising extensively to degrees I have never seen before. The retirement of an old guard of commentators and pundits on RTE has also helped.

Eventually the crowd will tire of losing. I think last night was a hugely positive performance but it also moves the conversation on. It sets a proper level of expectation for the remainder of the campaign. Because some of the ‘zero expectations / we’ll be beat 3 or 4 nil’ chat before the game was bonkers tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,699 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We were missing Duff (and to a lesser extent Roy Keane) for the last 2 games.

What did it for Kerr is probably using his first sub to take Robbie Keane off when needing to win. Maybe he was injured, maybe tired, but a tired, injured, Robbie Keane is better than Stephen Elliot.

It wasn’t purely the fans reaction that got Kerr sacked, there were plenty of rumours at the time that the players weren’t too happy either. And yes, we had extremely high expectations for that side, which didn’t help him.

I think he should have gotten another campaign but it’s easier for me to say that now knowing what happened.

I don’t really buy the idea that the entire Irish sporting media is bending over backwards to support Kenny either. OTB are apparently very supportive but I don’t listen to that so I can’t comment. Most I read will say a lot of what I see here-some things to be positive about but when are we going to see results - which at this stage of his reign, is a fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We will never know but I believe that Kerr's style would really suit tournament proper. Just listening to OTB there. the temperatures in Greece in summer are flipping hot. So there will be no 90 mile an hour stuff. Will have to conservation of energy.

Well I was at the Mick McCarthy Russia game. Crowd definitely turned against him. On Kerr there seemed to be a change in opinion of him, almost as if his underage success built up expectations too much?

You said it about Kerr though. Why are you moving the goalposts to Mick?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'll never forgive Kerr for the Israel match at home. We went 2-0 up and were cruising. Robbie Keane gets injured and Kerr decides to bring on Graham Kavanagh instead of another forward and we sit back and end up drawing the game.

The above was Kerr's management style in a nutshell, far too negative and poor to watch. I was delighted he got the boot. Obviously I would have preferred someone other than the Gaffer though!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People forget that The Gaffer was never supposed to have the reigns on his own. Very early on we played some of the best football I’ve ever seen an Irish team play - but that was all Bobby Robson. His fingerprints were all over it. Unfortunately he got sick and then we were left with the disaster that was the Staunton reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

James McClean sharing news about going an ASD assessment and being diagnosed with autism.

I didn't move any goalposts I said in my original that I felt the Irish supporters turned on Mick (part 1) and Kerr. The two of them. If there was not a change in support towards them they would not have been sacked, IMO.

• Advertisement

French Football Journalist Philipe Auclair's take on the France v Ireland game - how the French public viewed it.

He also said that the Dutch were awful and said it twice. Earlier on Ger Gilroy said the Dutch had a dose of the runs, so this might have effected them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Could be wrong but I have been told by people who know grassroots soccer better than me that the mistake with Kerr was cutting him loose afterwards.

Not the right man for International manager but a talent we should have retained.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I completely agree with this. He should have moved back to the underage setup but the relationship between Kerr and FAI was broken after the sacking.

You are wrong. It if widely known that JD did not like Kerr and moved him on because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Long day at work today after having a few too many pints post-game last night. It was an enjoyable night at the Aviva despite losing, definitely one of the best atmospheres I can remember there and I think there was a general positive feeling in the crowd and appreciation for the performance. Hopefully we get a few more big nights in the Aviva this campaign - a win at home to Greece or Netherlands would be a fantastic occasion.

As for the game itself, I think we achieved all we could have wished for prior to kick off really. We put in a great shift, defended well, looked OK on the ball and created a few chances for ourselves. Very unfortunate to get punished so badly for that mistake as there weren't many other errors we made throughout the game. Speaking to a few lads before the game I think most seemed to agree that if we could get to the last 15 minutes and still be in with a chance of a result it would go down as a decent night and that's what we achieved in the end.

I have to say I really love this current crop of Irish players. In the 20 years I've been going to games I'd say this is the most likeable side, a great mix of players from different backgrounds and parts of the country, no superstars or big egos, some real grafters and plenty of young players with potential who can play a bit of football. It could still go either way with Kenny but it's nice to know we have probably 10 years left of watching the nucleus of this side.

The acid test for Kenny will be the next game against Greece. I don't think it is fair to expect a win over there but a defeat would be campaign over after 2 games again. We have done very well against the better teams in terms of performances if not results, but I still think we are on very shaky ground when taking on teams of similar or lower ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Agree with everything you say bar Greece. I think we should expect to beat Greece home and away, especially after the performance last night.

We're a 3rd pot team playing a 4th pot team, on the face of it surely we should be expected to win? Greece are a tough pot 4 side and we could've got an easier draw, say Faroe Islands but the likes of Greece and Gibraltar are games we should be basing Kenny and this Irish side off.

I love what Kenny has done to the team - young, fearless, easy on the eye but we really need results and to see the progress in terms of getting close to qualifying. At least give us a bit of hope. Last night was a great performance and although France dominated possession, they were genuinely fearful of losing points at 90 minutes and resorted to time wasting. If we can produce that last night, why can't we kick on and make a real go at this. It'll be a minor miracle to ask us to qualify out of this group but I'd love to go into that Netherlands game believing it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Greece are basically the same level as us. I'd expect a home win, but would be happy enough with a point away from home.

Honestly can't believe people just keep dismissing Greece based on them being the 4th seed in the group, and most probably having not having seen them play.

Yup, and add to that that international away wins are hard enough to come by, especially amongst teams of a similar enough level. Sure Georgia just got a home draw against Norway, who are ranked ~30 places above them, and they were well worth their draw too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Kerr doubling down on his view that last night we were defending until the last 10 minutes when we started lobbing the ball into the box, Richard Dunne agreed.

Is this the way forward, just give up the idea we can play football and try and launch high balls into the opposition box ? Even though we don’t have a Quinn or Cascarino?

Evan Ferguson just stuck up front and told to try and get his head to anything lobbed in?

How you play again one of the best teams in the world - and the best counter attacking team in the world - is not necessarily how you play against other teams. We did exactly the right thing in yesterday's game.

Would also argue we did a much better job in possession than we have against good teams in previous years.

None of this is news though... like, we saw the same tactics against Portugal where it got us a home draw, and saw us get very very close to an away win but for two late late late goals. We obviously choose our tactics to match the needs of the game, which is exactly how it should be.

Kerr was, at best, double screening while paying attention to the match he was in studio for in Virgin. Should he really be giving an opinion straight after the match when he hasn't studied it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A great guy. Have tremendous time for James, and what a brilliant servant he has been for Ireland. On 98 caps, will be great to see him go past 100. When he came on last night he was instrumental in Ireland's best phase of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They've double our population and football is their biggest sport. There's no credible argument that says we should be automatically beating them or firing a manager who doesn't.

The performance is more important than the result but naturally a good performance gives a better chance of good result.

We had 11 shots to Frances 12. 2 on target to their 5. There was large patches were they just passed around the midfield and we let them. They're world class, we're not.

It's an interesting debate either way. Don't think I've ever seen a more polarising manager.

I couldn't tell you who's right. We all see different things.

Im personally on SKs side because I genuinely believe what I'm seeing when Ireland play is more interesting/engaging/exciting than what I've seen in the last 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

With that logic we should expect to lose both games to Holland and France as we're 3rd seeds and they're 1st and 2nd seeds. I think we're much closer to Greece than Holland so 4 points would be a good return especially when we have to play over there in the June heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Realistically we have been given a nightmare group. Our number 1 seed is the best team in Europe. Incredibly tough 2nd seed and a 4th seed at least equal to us. I'd definitely take 4 points against Greece and wouldn't expect anything from the Dutch games. It's just nice to see Ireland trying to play football and willing to start so many young players.

Not sure I'd say the Dutch are the best team in Europe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's damaging in the sense that it f- - -s our chances of qualifying. You can't lose your home matches regardless of the opposition. A draw would have been an acceptable result. I agree with Kerr's analysis. You can't play keep ball on the edge of your own box against a high pressing opponent. One stupid error like Cullen's and your punished. Bar Collins, none of the Irish defence and defensive midfield is good enough on the ball to play that type of system. Despite what you claim, France only looked troubled when Ireland started to play what I would call a traditional Irish type of game which had shades of the Charlton era kind of football and there's nothing wrong about that. Stuff the purists. You're not going to beat technically superior opposition by trying to play them at their own game. You need to stick it up 'em, so to speak. In fairness to the Irish players on the pitch last night that's what they attempted to do in the latter stages of the game by using their own initiative and not on the manager's instructions. If Ireland had won or drawn it would have been in spite of Stephen Kenny, not because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Last night was an excellent performance Kenny got his selection and tactics spot on and only for a miracle we'd have got a deserved draw against the world Cup finalists.

The real test for Kenny is as always against teams of similar talent to ours he knows how to set up against teams far better than us I.e the Portugal Serbia and France games we've really struggled against Luxembourg Azerbaijan latvia Armenia x2 Finland Bulgaria etc. We need results against Greece and Gibraltar otherwise yesterday's moral victory ain't worth a fig. 4 wins from 22 competitive games ain't good enough.

• Advertisement

That is literally the one home result that cannot be argued as 'fücking our chances of qualifying'. France are going to win this group at a canter. I could totally see the argument that losing at home to Netherlands would fck our qualification hopes, but France, nah.

Ultimately our position in this group is entirely going to come down to how we do against Netherlands and Greece - and how they do against each other.

As for your last sentence "spite" seems a fairly fitting word to describe a few peoples outlook...

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I've not been a big fan of Kenny, and I'm still not sure about him going forward.

BUT you always want to be optimistic going into a new campaign, and there were plenty of encouraging signs in that game. With a bit of luck we could have snatched a draw. We looked compact and defended reasonably well, had some useful looking attacks. It's nice to have a test against opposition that is so strong. Those players should hopefully gain something from the experience.

But will we back this up with more of the same? Really, we need to give the same level of respect to both Greece and Holland. Defend properly and get the balance right between trying to play some nice football and being pragmatic at times when needed. The fact we have someone like Ferguson up top, who can hold the ball up but also looks decent in build up play... there's a lot of teams who would love that type of player. The spine of our team is starting to look promising.

It's a massive ask to get 2nd place in this group. But we need to stay in contention for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Nah, we lost our head to head with Poland and Scotland for 2016 qualifying but won it with Germany and that’s what got us through. You pick up points where you can. Unfortunately that Maighnan save was a hammer blow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would say instrumental is quite the exaggeration and downplays the much greater impact of the other players.

It'll be great to have another addition to the 100 club tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can't remember the specifics of it but Champagne Football explains how JD messed Kerr and Mick about in the lead up to both of them leaving the job. There was a lot more going on there and the results on the pitch weren't the entire sceal.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Indeed he also swung in an absolutely putrid corner at a crucial point as well. A great servant is right and deserves to make a 100 caps but a very limited player even at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

A very good performance against France and nobody can argue that surely .

But people arguing that no we don’t have to beat Greece for this campaign to be successful? So are we at the point now where we only have to beat Gibraltar for Kenny to be seen as successful and be given more time ? No way , half the battle for Ireland managers has always been getting the team playing better than a sum of its parts and we have to finish above Greece to show this is actually going anywhere long term

Poland was 2 draws wasn’t it?

Anyway, I’ve said it before but trying to compare this campaign to 2016 makes no sense. We’re one game in out of 10, it’s far too early to say anything is devastating. The Germany game was our second last group game and we had already knew what we needed, and we were blessed that Scotland managed to lose in Georgia.

2016 would have been a failure any other year. We were seeded second, finished third and lost to the fourth seeds away. I have fond memories of the campaign for obvious reasons, but we’ll never have a tough group be so easy to get through again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement