Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The edit doesn't make any sense. Where did I say I wanted him to play for Preston? And how does that reflect on the basket case that is Man United.

Confused 🤔

The hypocrisy part I am lost tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The other 18 year old superstars in the world are already with huge clubs or have pre contractual in place with huge clubs. I don’t think there is a problem if Ferguson followed suit.

but given Brighton are fantastic (but not a huge club) he’s in the best place there for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don't think Brighton would fancy developing the lad further for another club once he's sold. They're not a club who really use the loan market. Aaron Mooy and Levi Colwill are the only two first team loans they brought in since promotion and Colwill was only part of the deal for Cucurella.

If a big club were to spend the money probably needed to get Brighton to sell him they'd likely want him to join up straight away and settle in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You are claiming the poster is biased because they might be a United fan, when you yourself appear biased against United.

You said you wouldn't want any member of the Irish team at United, so that means you would rather they stay at their current teams than join United. That's a bit bizarre when you look at their current clubs.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How does it mean that?? You are fairly jumping to conclusions. I neither like nor dislike Man U. I loved the team of Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles etc. Equally I loved the team back in the day of Robson, Stapleton, McGrath, Whiteside et al. That doesn't mean the club is not dysfunctional now. They have spent billions over the last few years and achieved sweet FA.

I would love Irish players at the top teams but not basket cases like Man U or Spurs.

Similar to only Liverpool fans who think Kelleher is best staying put I cannot see any reason why anyone other than a Man U fan would think it is a good place for a young 18 year old like Evan F. Give the lad some time. A short lean period and he would find himself out of a Man U match day squad. At Brighton he can get a bit more leeway. If I am wrong tell me why I am wrong instead of ranting about bias and jumping to weird conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

United would be about the only big club that would be potentially good and safe for Ferguson.

Arsenal - Nketiah seems to have fallen behind Trossard filling in in a false 9 role after Jesus starting, so Ferguson would be down to 3rd in the pecking order replacing Nketiah (presumably Arsenal would only move for Ferguson if Nketiah quits) if he moved there.

Man City - Alvarez is struggling for game time against Haaland, so Ferguson would be playing rock paper scissors with Kalvin Phillips and Scott Carson on the bench.

Liverpool - primarily use false 9, not suitable for him.

Chelsea - in absolute hapes and who knows WTF they are doing, be incredibly risky to join as a young player and he could end up buried deep in the bench.

Spurs - not much better than Chelsea with serious off-field issues that should make them very unnattractive.

United - he'd probably be second choice after the big money striker they probably add this summer.

While he should stay put at Brighton ideally, United would be the only one that would offer him any potential reliable route to actual first team minutes. Instead of just buried deep in the bench.

Plenty of clubs outside England.

If the big money striker they sign turns out to be Harry Kane then would suit United to keep strong tabs on someone like Ferguson as a possible replacement in time as Kane probably only has a few seasons in him left.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

With the money that will be getting thrown around this summer, I would consider it unlikely that nobody will put a bid in for him.

I would agree with you, that it wouldn't do him any harm to stay at Brighton for another year. I just don't think it's likely, especially if he keeps impressing. If he was to go off the boil a bit, then possibly.

I think he'd stand a decent chance of starting for Newcastle. If they're in the CL next season, then they'll need more strength in depth and obviously more quality. Some big name players won't fancy playing for Newcastle, so I could see Howe going for up and coming talent like Ferguson.

Tom Cannon continuing his fine form for Preston with another two goals today. Brady assisted the first and believe Parrott assisted the second. Jimmy Dunne apparently poor in defence for both goals.

Don't think Kenny can ignore Cannon when it comes to June's squad. If Everton do go down might be a great thing for Cannon.

• Advertisement

What is Cannon's commitment level to Ireland I wonder. Anyone know his story? He looks impressive and very confident. Everton might be thinking it would be great to have England's next emerging striker or am I being paranoid :D

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Only one way to find out and the best way even is a June call up. Not like his form doesn't deserve one anyway and while one cap doesn't fully tie him down it does mean he's gotta wait three years before he could ever switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He is off Galway stock - I know some of his wider Irish relatives were in Cork for the U21 match. A good lad by all accounts, but same was said of Jack G so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cullen playing premier League football next season 👍

And to seal promotion on your birthday. 11 points ahead of Sheffield United now with 21 to play for still.

Wales Online reporting that Obafemi's loan has now been made permanent after Burnley sealed promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

If Evan Ferguson is the real deal I will feel some sympathy for Stephen Kenny. He's probably 2 or 3 years away from being the striker Ireland really need and it's unlikely SK will still be in charge by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The transfer embargo from EFL not affecting that? Maybe because the deal was agreed before the embargo?

Yeah not sure about that but they'll be in the EPL next season so don't think any embargoes from the EFL will affect them. Transfer technically won't become permanent I'd assume until the summer window opens. Getting promoted just means they'll have to buy him once his loan finishes. By that stage they'd be a Premier League team.

Plus I think they're saying that the embargo should be lifted this month so even if they didn't get promoted he could still sign I'd assume as long as the embargo was sorted before June.

Onomah was credited with the assist for the second so Parrott didn't get a touch on it, and Brady crossed in for the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Away kit looks to be white with horizontal green pinstripe judging by the twitter tease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Cannon with another. Surely deserves a senior call up now.

More than deserves a call up. Showing this form you say should he partner Ferguson in June or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Too similar I think - it'd be one each of Ferguson/Cannon and Ogbene/Obafemi imo.

Lads, is Andy Lyons worth a spot in the squad. Chips in with quite a few goals for a wing back, and that has continued to be the case in a struggling Blackpool side. Is he strong enough defensively for a senior call up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

Great option off the bench though. Idah game and all as he is just doesn't possess a scoring threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,699 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's played mostly out wide hasn't he? so don't know why this is used as a metric for him all that often. That and his actual minutes. In 80 or so appearances , he's played only about half the available minutes. Doesn't seem to have a nailed down position which is both useful and a problem

Not really. He was playing as part of a front two with Puuki when they were last in the PL, and it was working quite well for them. He got injured though and their season tailed off after that.

Don't think they are and even if they're similar enough Ferguson has the attributes to play as your out and out CF or the role Parrott plays when he's playing in a two with Cannon.

Its what makes a front two of Ferguson/Obafemi, and at club level Ferguson/Welbeck, or Idah/Pukki last season work well that each player could drop off looking for the ball or stay up front making runs so would switch to keep defenders guessing.

Think of the young WB/FBs that we have he'll be the next one to break into the senior set up. Covers each side and finds himself in good attacking positions.

One of his goals a few weeks ago he was making a near post run for the LWB to pick him out with the pull back. Defensively not sure what he's like but with WBs you want them more attacking than defensive minded since they're the ones providing the width.

Cannon definitely warrants a call up. Whether is a friendly or as a sub after we are already 3 up against Andorra*

*here's hoping

• Advertisement

Are we playing Andorra again?

Sorry Gibraltar.

Same thing effectively- you would hope anyway 😬

Not bad.

Top Irish goal scorers this season in the top two divisions in England. League goals with goals in all competitions in brackets.

Scott Hogan 10 (10)

Will Keane 10 (10)

Chiedozie Ogbene 7 (8)

Tom Cannon 7 (7)

Callum Robinson 5 (7)

Michael Obafemi 5 (5)

Evan Ferguson 4 (8)

Georgie Kelly 3 (3)

Troy Parrott 2 (3)

Aaron Connolly 2 (2)

Adam Idah 1 (2)

Shane Long 1 (2)

What's the story with Connolly? Bright start at Hull and then completely disappears from match day squads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

• Advertisement

Away keeper jersey.

Outfield and GK aways are both improvements on the home equivalents IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not the greatest but we have had far worse. Least kept it simple. Solid

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

If you were to include everyone and not just lads playing up front for us you'll have:

Scott Hogan 10 (10)

Will Keane 10 (10)

Chiedozie Ogbene 7 (8)

Tom Cannon 7 (7)

Callum Robinson 5 (7)

Michael Obafemi 5 (5)

Evan Ferguson 4 (8)

Andy Lyons 4 (5)

Jeff Hendrick 4 (4)

Ryan Manning 4 (4)

Will Smallbone 3 (3)

James McClean 3 (3)

Callum O'Dowda 3 (3)

Cyrus Christie 3 (3)

Georgie Kelly 3 (3)

Troy Parrott 2 (3)

John Egan 2 (3)

Jayson Molumby 2 (2)

Dara O'Shea 2 (2)

Greg Cunningham 2 (2)

Jimmy Dunne 2 (2)

Aaron Connolly 2 (2)

Adam Idah 1 (2)

Shane Long 1 (2)

Alan Browne 1 (2)

CJ Hamilton 1 (2)

Andrew Omobamidele 1(1)

Josh Cullen 1 (1)

Ciaran Clark 1 (1)

Kevin Long 1 (1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

I really hope so. But I'd be a bit cautious based on his spell with West Ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

For all the talk of Manning here, Andy Lyons has as many goals already in less than half the time and for a worse team. Not sure how good he is defensively but hopefully he can get a move in Summer and stay at championship level

Actually just saw this on Twitter, and shows you how poor Blackpool is that he's their joint second highest goal scorer in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'd be fairly confident that Kompany is going to stick with him next season. Would be a lot less confident about Obafemi getting a lot of game time though...

That Burnley midfield is built around Cullen. Burnley fans rave about him and how he's the vital cog in the wheel that makes them tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see Ferguson went off before half time injured... was anyone watching? Did it look bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Azatadine

You'd have to wonder about Collins and Bazunu for next year. Bazunu will go down with Saints and he hasn't covered himself in glory either to be fair. He's been poor enough for them. Collins on the bench full time now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looked like he jarred his ankle. Walked off on his own steam so hopefully he's okay.

DeZerbi has said he'll be out for a minimum a couple of weeks so unfortunately misses the cup semi final. Unless he's playing mind games as he said both players that went off injured will miss a couple of weeks minimum.

A pity as Ferguson looked bright in the minutes he played and probably should have scored before going off.

Ireland U19s Harry Vaughan gets his first start for Hull tonight away to Blackburn. Sammie Szmodics starts for Blackburn.

It would be hard to have that information just after the game. I'd say he's guessing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement