Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

saw that. It looked bad. He’s been a great player, can’t help thinking he should have got a move to a better club when he was at his peak. He was linked with PSG and Man United. A big loss to Everton right now in another relegation fight.

I don’t think Brendan Rodgers will manage Ireland any time soon but it won’t because he said he was “a Northern Irish man and couldn’t see himself managing the Republic”. Would be more to do with money. I think you’re mistaken in your recall.

He's a warrior and you know he'll fight hard to return from it even if it's a long term injury. But given Everton is a financial mess and he's supposedly out of contract this summer the chances could be slim of seeing him play again for Everton.

If he hasn't signed a new deal already for Everton they could very well let him leave in the summer. Doesn't strike me as someone who'll drop down the leagues in England to prolong his playing career.

Unless he's talked about finishing his career in Ireland then a long term injury might have him consider retirement if he's released from Everton. Hopefully gets to pull on the green jersey again as he deserves a proper send off. Would be great if himself and McClean got that send off at international level playing with Sligo and Derry.

Draw for the Woman's Nations League was today. We were top seeds in League B and couldn't have asked for a better draw getting Northern Ireland, Hungary, and Albania who were third seeds in Pot 2 and both bottom seeds in Pot 3 and 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Sammie Szmodics was unlucky yesterday. Belter of a shot with a minute to go that would have put Blackburn into the play-off places. Beat the keeper but it smashed down off the crossbar and out.

As it stands now they need to win AND have two other results go in their favour. He won't be Prem-bound looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is that right? Have you a link to the interview?

You’re the one that brought it up mate. I think it’s incumbent upon you to provide a link to this interview you’re trying to recall.

Looking it up there, not a word anywhere about Rodgers saying anything like what you refer to above. His son Anton is a player in the lower leagues in England and represented Ireland at youth level. Don’t know for definite but I think you might have picked him up wrong.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

So you've never heard the actual interview and you're suggesting I heard him wrong? Seems reasonable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No idea about that interview back at Swansea - but far more recently when he was at Celtic he said he'd like to work in international management, and would have no problems working with any country at all.

"I want to manage at international level at some point in my career. I hope to be coaching for another 20-odd years, so there is plenty of time. For me, it can be anywhere — any country. But I’m happy in Scotland for now."

He was being asked about the Ireland job specifically, so the fact he actively commented on being happy to work anywhere would seem to suggest if he ever had the opinion you mentioned, that he's since changed his mind anyway.

Moot point of course, since we could never afford him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Given that Roberto Martinez has been given the Belgium and Portugal jobs, I would think that if Brendan Rogers wanted to manage a foreign country he could do better than us.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

A foreign country? His son played for Ireland at underage level. Anyone born on the island of Ireland, north or south, can play for or represent Ireland or take an Irish passport whether they play international sports or not.

I think you casting vague recollections from a radio interview that may have happened 11 or 12 years ago and expecting everyone else to accept it as fact with zero other evidence to back it up doesn’t seem reasonable.

You're entitled to your opinion. It does not change that the interview happened and I listened to it live. I didn't ask anyone to accept it as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

injury looks bad , if its his career over , I could see him being picked up on the Everton coaching staff , as a long term manager , his leadership and character are highly valued at Everton, a club empty of such values

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

It is not uncommon for people to have false memories. For example, it took a lot of convincing for me to accept that the movie Big didn't end with the love interest becoming a young girl and joining the young Tom Hanks at school.

Sometimes these memories are shared between people (the Mandela Effect) although in this case it does not appear to be 😉

Post edited by budgemook on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Robbie Keane looks likely to be joining Big Sam at Leeds as asst manager!

Straight from the horses mouth. No ACL damage, and be back soon.

• Advertisement

Some serious gaslighting happening in here today.

@Dr. Kenneth Noisewater - hopefully this will mean Robbie leaves the FAI payroll (if he hasn't already)

Thankfully his contract finished with the FAI last November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Greece game is six weeks away so hopefully he can be back before that. Team meet up in England for a mini camp at the end of May before flying to Turkey for a warm weather training camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

I'm almost sure Rodgers said he'd love to manage Ireland one day when he was on the Chris Kamara podcast. Not that it matters for a decade at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Hopefully a nice sell on clause in there for Bohemians if he does well and they maybe can get a windfall down the road like with Matt Doherty.

Yes, a foreign country. I don't go around presuming that everyone in NI is from the Republic just because they can have a passport if they want it. Do you know if Brendan has an Irish passport? If you don't know, then I think we shouldn't try to claim him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Who's presuming that everyone in Northern Ireland is from the Republic? For a significant number of people living in Northern Ireland; Ireland isn't a foreign country and it's quite ignorant of you to describe it as that for those people. Ignorant and inaccurate.

As for Brendan Rodgers I don't know if he has an Irish passport, his son who was born in England obviously does having played for Ireland at youth level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great news on Coleman- really looked like it could be all over for him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I know some friends who are still annoyed that Coleman never got a big money transfer in his prime because Sligo Rovers had a sell on clause.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The time he broke his leg was when the big move would have come imo

Think it would have been before that imo. If Moyes didn't get the sack when he did I think he would have made a big push to bring Coleman in that summer. That season Coleman was probably one of the best RBs in Europe and made the team of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

He has been poor but tbh it is just so hard to play behind terrible defences. Look at Ramsdale for instance. He looked calamitous at Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd and got relegated with both of them. Arteta took a chance on him and now that he's playing behind a better defence he looks like a much much better keeper and is going to be playing Champions League football next year for the most improved team in England.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moran makes the bench for Brighton against Man United

It literally is a foreign country. That's why we have different passports.

Anybody born on the island north or south can choose to take an Irish passport, and for those who choose to take an Irish passport it is not a “foreign country”. That’s already been spelt out to you. So it appears you’re literally choosing to be ignorant around this issue now, and I’m not sure what your game is.

Connor Ronan with an excellent performance for Colorado last night:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Glenn Whelan retired today, love him or loathe him he always gave his all! A player who wasn't missed till he was gone.

Will be some Irish involvement in the play offs with both Boro and Coventry making it. They play each other in the semi finals so either McNally or Lenihan will be in the play off finals.

In League One Barnsley finished fourth and Peterborough pipped Derby to sixth. Even if Derby got promoted Knight would have been better off still leaving. Hope his agent has already been working on moves. Eiran Cashin could be another that might fancy a move.

Knight didn't get a move last year when his stock was higher so unless his contract is running down I wouldn't expect much movement.

Nice to see Festy Ebosele starting for Udinese today and getting an assist for the opening goal. Ferguson back on the bench for Brighton as well.

• Advertisement

Derby didn't have to sell and would have taken a few quid to force their hand. He'll have a year left on his deal after they trigger his contract extension. Also strikes me as the type that wouldn't force a move and remain loyal to Derby last summer. Probably the downside of having a family member be your agent. A proper agent probably would have talked him into forcing a move for the good of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

Rumours of Kelleher to Brentford with Raya likely to leave. Be a fantastic move for him

Ferguson makes his return from injury as a half time substitution with Brighton 3-0 down and has been denied twice by two top saves from Pickford.

Was also named young player of the season by Barnsley at the weekend.

Festy starts again for Udinese. The guy who usually starts done his cruciate I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Awful start. Pity that it was a hammering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Poland were just a level above, there could easily be 2-3 future senior international players in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did anyone get tickets for the game in Greece? I just logged on to the away portal there and saw that applications are closed since April, which seems early to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, they just looked stronger, better on the ball and the Irish lads couldn’t match them. I agreed with Alan Cawley on commentary. It’s all about resources. I’m delighted we’re keeping lads here for longer now, and the academies are starting to work, but we need to do more to compete. Damien Duff was saying it the other day too. He was playing far more football in England at that age than most lads are playing here. On the plus side I though Mason Melia from Pats had a couple of nice moments and looks like he might have something about him. Great to see him getting on for his senior debut last Friday night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement