Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's not terrible. Reasonably competitive.

I'll take that over anything from the last 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Half time 0-0

Playing away from home, to a team that qualified for Euro 2021, a rather partisan home crowd, around 6 under 21's in our team and we are well in this game.

A few positives, a few negatives and a few players that probably shouldn't be there.

Limited them to one real effort and had 1 very good one too.

Have to be pretty happy overall with that first half.

Fairly bang on there. As away performances go, its fairly good.

As others have said Duffy looks a lot more comfortable and id say SK has given him the out of going long if he has too, but to be fair he hit 2 great long passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Duffy is looking our most comfortable defender tonight because it looks like he's been told by Kenny to play it long if he needs to. Our best bits of play have been with crosses, set pieces, or going long.

He seems more confident in general. Wonder if David Forde coming in has helped him much in regaining some confidence because he looked a shattered man at Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Not a bad first half and maybe the first time where we look like a proper team.

Hourihane is a real passenger though. He is just good on free kicks but goes missing. Cullen is at least hustling trying to make things happen. O'Shea keeps giving the ball away.

Parrott looks like his confidence is very high and he is really up for it and having a go. Our biggest threat.

Hopefully we can keep this going in the second half now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

athlone99 wrote: »
    Fairly bang on there. As away performances go, its fairly good.

As others have said Duffy looks a lot more comfortable and id say SK has given him the out of going long if he has too, but to be fair he hit 2 great long passes.

Yep. There seems to be a lot more movement from
    Idah and Parrott when he has the ball in anticipation of that longer ball.

Problem is the midfield is far too close to the defence and not close enough to the attack.

Knight looked good on the right hand side against Amdorra. Can we not put him back out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's not terrible. Reasonably competitive.

I'll take that over anything from the last 5/6 years.

Weren't Ireland in the Euros in 2016 doing ok. You can't make a silk purse out a sows ear. Nice to see set pieces focused on again. It will always be Ireland's main chance of scoring. Never mind that 'identity' craic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not a bad first half and maybe the first time where we look like a proper team.

Hourihane is a real passenger though. He is just good on free kicks but goes missing. Cullen is at least hustling trying to make things happen. O'Shea keeps giving the ball away.

Parrott looks like his confidence is very high and he is really up for it and having a go. Our biggest threat.

Hopefully we can keep this going in the second half now.

Badly need a central midfielder comfortable on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to know what to make of it so far, largely because I don't know how good this Hungary team are. Duffy and Mcclean doing well and Parrott has shown glimpses, Bazunu looks comfortable.

We haven't looked like breaking them down but you could say the same for them. The fans being there has made it a better game to watch than the Andorra one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lisa Fallon has more tactical awareness than the Irish coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Decent performance so far, looks to be much better balance in the team, haven't really created anything going forward but McLean looks very dangerous out wide, might be the best chance of a goal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Happy enough with that. Looked fairly solid and the Szalazi header was the only really scare

Hourihane very disappointing again.

Cullen needs to demand the ball more. He at least has a bit of energy about him and gets up and down

A couple of nice bits of quick, sharp interplay invoicing Parrott and Knight that would make you hopeful of what they could bring moving forward.

Idah much better at getting those balls into him under control than Collins was against Andorra.

I am always disheartened when I see McClean starting but in fairness to him that cross he put in was as good as you'll see. Was crying out for someone to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One thing I noticed from his Ipswich days and we've seen it tonight, Parrott is very good at drawing frees by running into areas where opposition defenders are uncomfortable. Hopefully that's not lost on the team and the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

sugarman wrote: »
    Have to say, Duffy's passing and awareness has been excellent so far. Not aimlessly hoofing it like he usually does. Been very calm on the ball, getting the head up and picking a pass up the channel as well as switching it across the field.

Like wise with McClean and his crossing, been very good tonight at getting the better of his man and putting in a handful of really good crosses into the box.

Setpieces also seems improved.

Solid first half.

Was just thinking the same with regards to Duffy. Looks like Kenny has given him a bit of confidence back.

Lisa Fallon has more tactical awareness than the Irish coaching staff.

She seems like an exceptionally good analyst. When she speaks I find myself paying attention. Very low on cliches always has well researched info.

Makes me wonder why she is on Kenny's staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hourihane is Hungary's best player so far in my condsidered opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hungary with a poor pass, given straight back to him to have another go by Hourihane, enough said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kelleher got down well there.

Hard to know what to make of it so far, largely because I don't know how good this Hungary team are. Duffy and Mcclean doing well and Parrott has shown glimpses, Bazunu looks comfortable.

We haven't looked like breaking them down but you could say the same for them. The fans being there has made it a better game to watch than the Andorra one.

There was a fella on Irish Football fan TV which gave a good insight into the Hungary team. He is a Hungary fan. The gist was missing their best player for euros. Workman like team strong at back likely to play on the counter.

Arguably Hungary are lucky to be going to the Euros fortunate with the draw getting Bulgaria etc. A team Ireland struggled against but Hungary brushed aside.

Think I would have taken off Idah rather than Parrott.

• Advertisement

Super skill by Horgan.

Good stuff from Duff with a beard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Great start from Darryl Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

She seems like an exceptionally good analyst. When she speaks I find myself paying attention. Very low on cliches always has well researched info.

Makes me wonder why she is on Kenny's staff.

She's a few different jobs. Not sure if she's still working with Northern Ireland or Dublin GAA but I know she's involved with Galway and worked with Caulfield at Cork too.

Horgan has done more in 2 mins than Hourihane did since the start.

I would have kept Parrott on and taken off Idah but maybe its good to see how he does.

Moloumby running at them, great to see a bit of that.

• Advertisement

Molumby making a big difference by simply looking for a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Molumby already better than hourihane.

What a rubbish free kick

Did some of the Hungarian supporters boo their own player there?

Kenny Cunningham is chronic.

"They'll be talking about kicking the corner flag in 10 years time"

• Advertisement

Anyone else that can play left back?

Anyone else that can play left back?

Manning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Some useless information. Nagy translates to "great" in English so his name is Adam the Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hungary are ****ing useless but we should be satisfied with this so far , look solid .

I don’t think the euros would be a poorer tournament with us in place of them

tastyt wrote: »
    Hungary are ****ing useless but we should be satisfied with this so far , look solid .

I don’t the euros would be a poorer tournament with us in place of them

Neither should be at such a tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hourihane translates to crap, so Conor Crap

Ridiculous decision by the ref there

Knight again getting joy out of the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Kenny Cunningham is chronic.

"They'll be talking about kicking the corner flag in 10 years time"

Bonnars save
    O Leary penalty
    Houghton header
    Brady header
    Molumby kicks the corner flag in friendly against Hungary

He’s right , rolls off the tongue

Hungary look to be out of ideas. We've been a lot better this half I have to say.

• Advertisement

Fella goes down with cramp and the ref blows the whistle while we have an attack going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

**** off ref. Jesus ****ing christ.

Ridiculous decision by the ref there

Again, why did he stop the game there for that? There was no concern of a head injury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Can you just sit down in your own penalty area after a freekick to get a free of the ref and stop the opposition from putting it back in? Seems to be the preferred Hungarian tactic if we get to the loose ball first.

Fella goes down with cramp and the ref blows the whistle while we have an attack going

There's no justification for his last two decisions

That was nice control from Knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Might be worth backing the red card in Hungarys 3 group games, they seem very physical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

That was nice control from Knight

He has impressed tonight imo.

These lads deserve a winner in this game really. Be nice (it's important) for them to start getting some results to reflect the performance.

• Advertisement

Well done Kelleher!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement