Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

If hes that good why are feck all clubs in for him when hes on a free?

From what Dan McDonald has said his attitude and application in training was seen as below par so hence why Kenny didnt fancy him. The few games he did play he didnt impress me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We were talking about qualification. Coming close to qualification, getting to playoffs and actually qualifying counts as competitive. Coming near the bottom of groups is not competitive. It's quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Player of the season for the runaway champions? That's stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like, having a guy at LB who actually plays LB and is used to defending probably means we don't give away a goal from a stupid handball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Betting odds to replace Stephen Kenny

Chris Hughton 6/1

Damien Duff 7/1

Keith Andrews 9/1

Neil Lennon 10/1

Roy Keane 10/1

Robbie Keane 13/1

Michael O’Neill 15/1

Sam Allardyce 17/1

Jim Crawford 23/1

Phil Neville 26/1

Jose Mourinho 26/1

Gareth Southgate 26/1

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-manager-betting-odds-chris-30257615?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its a real pity. I have been to a few Dortmund games and the Germans always organise a good pissup. 2024 will be a great tournament.

Same for USA 2026.

Then again, sure we cannot even organise a sponsor.

I rest my case. he is average at international level, look at that pass from him that lost the game for us against France.

What do you mean you rest your case - you literally asked "Is Cullen a stand out Championship player?", and the answer fairly firmly shows that yes, he is.

He's also really obviously been one of our better players over the past few years. He had an awful night along with the rest of the team. He's amongst the least of our concerns tbh.

If Cullen is a stand out Championship player and manning is as well, then I dont care if manning ever plays for us again. The championship standard isnt good enough for international level. Cullen made the most stupid mistake against France that cost us the match and I actually didn't know he was playing Friday night until they brady mentioned him at half time.

• Advertisement

Looks like we'll be fielding a team of about 3 lads so I guess (if we're lucky!) 😅

I honestly don't understand your point at all though... the replacements for those two guys would be worse performers from either the same division or lower... we have what we have, and those two are amongst the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Of the realistic contenders there I'd take Hughton.

He has club experience and international experience with Ghana recently.

I know his club history is not great, but at least he has been there at that high level in England.

The likes of Duff or Andrews would be no different than Kenny and only a step above Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You lads had your shot, you got three years of your King. And we are getting less than nowhere. Sliding down the ranks at pace.

McCarthy had us competitive. Moving back to being tough to beat is the obvious move. There’s a middle ground, but it can’t be the losing soft nonsense of the Kenny reign. Time to get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not sure what people expect us to do. Magic up some Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal players from somewhere perhaps ? If Cullen is not good enough, who do we replace him with ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

True, in the long run i think Crawford needs to be moved on, 21s are very dull at times

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Ugh, I just find all the possible names such grim reading. Even worse when many of those already-depressing options are still realistically beyond our reach.

Hughton at least once upon a time had a thing that worked - I don't think it works anymore though. Football's left him behind. Not exactly pulling up trees in AFCON qualifying with Ghana either - 2 wins in 5 so far in a group where they're by a million miles the best team. it's Ghana, Angola, Central African Republic, and Madagascar - Ghana are at least 50 ranking places higher than the other three. They really should be winning every game in that group handily enough.

An extremely uninspiring list.

Duff might appease some on here, his shels side are extremely pragmatic and dull at times.

Haughton? The same man that was sacked after 8 games having forest sitting bottom of the table where his replacement got them promoted and kept them in the premier league? Where at Brighton he was sacked and Potter brought the team on since Haughton left?

I honestly wouldnt have anyone om that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lee Carsley not even on the list. Graham Potter is out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Would you prefer Stephen Bradley to keep us competitive like Kenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

And do you want the FAI to pay Ghana compensation to get Hughton out of his reported €400k per year contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard to know where to go to next.

Houghton hardly going give up African gig.

Kenny looks beaten man on his presser today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Roy Keane the standout choice. Southgate/Mourinho obviously put in for the pure giggles. Duff?

Was he put in for the craic or did someone lash loads of money on him? What has Duff done as a manager? He has not been in Shels a wet week.

Maybe they mean Duffman?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

‘You lads’.

The absolute state of this entitled horsesh*t.

You were one of those ‘fans’ who was waiting for us to lose just so you could stick the boot in and it’s as clear as day right now. Disgraceful carry on that you were using this to make some tribal bullsh*t. You have been against the Kenny appointment since day 1 and you deserve sweet f*ck all from this national team.

Absolute losers, you and anyone else who shared that attitude.

Who on Earth do you think you are?

Nah sure lets bring back Trap, pay him a small fortune and bankrupt the association!

Instead of talking shite and talking down your own domestic league, name your candidate?

If your think Keane is the standout choice we are well and truely f***ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If it was up to me I’d talk to Steve coppell. He seems to have dropped off the radar but he’s only 67. He may be not in a frame of mind for a big job anymore but I’d talk to him anyway and suss him out.

I think theres a reason alot of these lads are no longer mentioned for jobs. Therefore i dont think we should be looking at them.

Coppell 10 years ago maybe but not now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Why?

Roy Keane

1) High Profile - sponsorship, worldwide attention - more money for the FAI

2) Media - top notch gets the clicks - has the quips - puts bums on seats

3) High level managerial experience both at international level as assistant/player - at club level in England of players of a similar level which are in the squad.

--

Out of interest since you dismissed the entire list of managers who would you have?

Shane 'Cake' Curran? He played in goal for Athlone town and was the Rossies goalie in Gaelic football. Massive media profile in Roscommon, Well able to talk in the media.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

There's a left field one. Fella hasn't managed at any sort of a level in 13+ years

Beckenbauer or Sacchi maybe. Proven winners like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jesus some of the names! I'm half expecting Graham Rix to be mentioned next.

The losers are anyone who accepts Irish teams being soft and easy to beat. Time to move on, and I think the FAI will.

I’ll back any Irish manager, but this tenure is dead and we need to address its obvious deficiencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

Hugely uninspiring list. Can't imagine Hughton or O'Neill would leave their current roles. Duff, Robbie Keane and Andrews have done nothing so far that would qualify them for the role. Plus Andrews and O'Shea are attached to the current setup so would have to share some of the blame. Allardyce is yesterday's man and he has LOI managerial experience which a lot of people here look down on. Roy Keane hasn't managed since a poor spell at Ipswich and his spell as assistant fell apart after Euro 16 plus the drama he brings would make him a very questionable appointment regardless of how much "passion" he'd bring to the role. Lennon has done very little outside of when Celtic had no competition and his last spell there was a failure. Crawford wouldn't inspire with his U-21 performances so far. Last three are joke candidates. I'd take Hughton at a push but he wouldn't be an ideal candidate in any shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I'm guessing there is a digit missing in front of behind southgates odds,1000-1 and nobody would still back him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We won that game?

We were in that group until the last game.

We qualified under MON and for to the knockout stages.

We qualified under Trap.

And has Kenny failed in his objective three times now?

Losing the play off for Euro 2020, making a balls of WC 2022 and now failing to even make a fist of Euro 2024?

This is borderline propaganda.

Not happy with the way we beat Georgia but happy to be beaten by Luxembourg?

Angry about our performances against minnows? Ignore we got 10/12 points under Mick versus 7/12 up under Kenny.

Angry we didn't manage to beat Switzerland or Denmark? Ignore we got 3 points when it mattered when Kenny could only get two against Serbia and Portugal when we were already out.

It's not revisionist at all.

You saying we were not competitive under MON or Mick is a blatant falsehood.

Post edited by noodler on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes had an absolute mare. The only ones happy with losses are the Kenny fans.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nobody is happy with any loss, but when you have a group of people who were very quiet after a good performance turn up to stick the boot in after a loss, then they deserve f*ck all.

Many people wanted this to fail from the start, and it’s shameful that any of them consider themselves a fan when they actively wanted to lose games just so they could gloat. Incredibly sad behaviour.

Nah, all fans of the Irish team want is to win. This is true of football fans the world over.

Sure, the Kennyistas are a mixture of LOI fans (who have always had an issue with the Senior Team winning while the grassroots game suffers) and those who aren’t too pushed on winning games, if we ‘play the right way’.

But in the end they are a rump of the overall fanbase. Every Irish regime ends like this - with hard words calling out the failures. But they always end when the results mean the project can no longer be supported. In those instances the ‘we’re only hoofing it’ lads danced their dance over the final disappointing results of each tenure.

And Faugheen, Kenny got a way longer ramp than Trapp or MON or McCarthy or Kerr (or even Charlton) got as far as poor results went. He got his fair shake. 4 wins from 23 competitive matches. Time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Every Irish regime ends like this - with hard words calling out the failures.

But the Kenny regime has not ended, and there is no guarantee that it will end before the campaign is over.

The regime is functionally over, and the hard words started for McCarthy, Kerr, Staunton, Trapp and MON before it was over. Stephen Kenny got a fair shake and failed, and we should pick over why he failed while considering who should replace him. We should get his replacement in before September, and give them the remainder of the campaign as an intro period.

As has been pointed out many times Keane is a failed manager, fell out with players as an assistant with Ireland. I dont think the FAI will touch him.

People here have slated Kenny for his tactical set up etc and your calling for Keane, the man on Sky who fans slate because he gives no tactical analysis? Yes hes the man to set the team up right and implement a style to improve young players.......

Sure if your Mentioning Shane Curran, in the Roy Keane mold why dont we get Davy Fitz? He loves to shout at players and give abuse and sure is a great lad altogether..

I dont know who i would get, i just hope those in charge at the FAI are not as lazy as the bookies at throwing out names we shouldnt go near. FAI have time now to cast the net far and wide not just to some random name that might have been a decent player 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ah yeah, ask if he wants to speak, if he doesn’t, move on. If he does see where his heads at. Could he be an asset to us in other ways than management. We have no director of football operations at the moment? who is in the Ruud dokter role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Any spares for tonights game?

West stand upper preferred....

I have 2, but need a third....

* APologies if not allowed, but im kinda desperate ! 😣

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

We have got a total of 1 point from possible 24 from first two games of each of Kennys campaign's in charge

Nations league 2020 Bulgaria draw and lost to Finland

WC 2022 Lost to both Luxembourg and Serbia

2022 Nations league Lost to Armenia and Ukraine

2024 Euros Lost to France and Greece

If my memory is correct last few times we did that was for Euro 04 and Euro 08. Mick lost his job after Russia and Swiss defeats and Stan lost to Germany and Cyrpus (5-2).

Nobody wants to see Kenny do as well as me but hard line facts are there.

Just has not delivered. Simple as that and to be out of running so early is not good enough.

The style if football is nowhere near up to it either. Yes we badly need a few CMs and even a player with pace but still no excuses for these slow starts.

Kenny succeeding would have been way better than this reality. He was reasonably cheap, it was a unifying appointment and in theory we would have succeeded playing a better brand of football with a younger average age of squad.

It is what it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement