Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Augme

They might do a better job but they would still fail as they have shown that is all they can do at management level. You're hard on for hiring proven failures is what puzzles me.

If the next manager fails and needs to be replaced, I wouldn't be surprised if you were championing Kenny to take over. Replacing someone who is ****, with someone potentially slightly less **** is never going to bring success.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Remember Gibraltar away under McCarthy?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I never thought I'd be happy seeing Sam Allardyce as our manager, but f*ck me I'd take him over Keane and McCarthy, which tells you how shambolic an appointment those two would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That makes no sense you pick the manager who is going to to the better job. And therefore the better chance of doing better than what he has available. Your argument for Kenny seems to be pure hope based. I would argue watching this Kenny team has been worse than the worst of Trap/MON/Jack/Stan. This Kenny side lacks balls and fight never mind the technical limitations. So passive this team is, it is the manager's image a little quiet lamb.

At least past Irish teams showed some sort of fire in their bellies and unsettled the opponents. Poyet said it the last day when Ireland are under pressure they change from 'on the floor' stuff to the REAL Ireland. Energy, pressure corners.

Poyet said after the 7th oer 8th corner from Ireland in quick succession he as an opponent was wondering how they would survive against Ireland from when he played against them. Has anyone under Kenny mentioned how hard/difficult it is to play against Ireland?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Gary Oneill has become available. Though I wouldn’t appoint him.

I'm in two minds. Not the ideal replacement to continue a progressive style but he was very impressive at Bournemouth this season.

He's young as well, which you don't find many of becoming available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's fine and correct, but the FAI strategy assumes qualifying for every second tournament. The prize money and revenue involved is too significant for us to not achieve that goal, and there are more pathways into these tournaments than was the case 10 years ago.

We have a balance to strike here. We would like a manager who is at least interested in the youth landscape; who wants to play fluidly where possible; but who can make us tougher to beat and improve results.

Kenny's media handling has been an ugly feature of his regime. He has a poor demeanour, comes across as defensive and struggles to clearly articulate his points a lot of the time. The whole landscape has been inordinately patient with this guy considering his lack of polish and lack of results.

I'm not making an argument for Kenny though. I'm making an argument against giving proven failures the job.

Why would we hire Mick again? To grind out hard fought draws against the mighty Georgia? I just can't understand why that's what we should be aiming for as an ideal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Fully agree. I like many had hoped that person was Kenny but doesn't look like its going to work out. As i keep saying i dont think we can go back to pragmatic football. The FAI also need to be filling Landsdowne Road as much as possible and crap football wont do that. Next appointment for the long term strategy is going to be crucial.

• Advertisement

The worst I have seen since Stan, fecking Trap was more articulate/passionate.

Then it makes me wonder how does Kenny get his message across to the players in the dressing room, he is hardly going inspire them when under it is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Doubt Gary O'Neill would even want it. Rather than looking at the usual suspects and just within the UK market you get countries like Denmark, Sweden, and Norway who appoint managers that build experience in these leagues.

Jess Thorup is someone that won the Superliga with Copenhagen in 2022. Qualifed Copenhagen for the champions league group stages but was sacked after a poor start to the season. Hasn't picked up a new club yet and was reportedly on around €750K for a full time gig. €550K for a part time would be better value.

But every manager fails at some stage very few leave on their own terms that is the nature of football management. You could say Jack 'failed' on that day in Anfield. By some people's definition on here that would make him a 'failed manager'.

Going on about the Mick Georgia result ignores the fact that Mick got good/creditable results against the Swiss and the Danes.

I look at Ferguson floundering hardly getting a touch of the ball under Kenny the last day. And think how Mick would set it up to get some sort of tune out of Ferguson. Simply because Mick is a better manager tactically and is not wedded to an ideology. Also I would argue that Mick has always been a good motivator. Kenny seems to have none of that, and worse for Kenny is that he does not have many senior pros to do the motivating for him.

How are the FAI going to sell that to the masses though? Roy Hodgson 2.0?

How can you possibly know that Mick would have done a better job against Greece or get more out of Ferguson?

Kenny plays much closer to how Ferguson plays at Brighton than Mick could ever imagine.

It's pure guesswork that has no factual basis.

Kenny is worse than Staunton. Incredible, but true.

I never thought we'd see anyone as bad as Stan, but Kenny has eclipsed him.

Kenny like Stan should have been given his marching orders after 18 months or so. Instead, it's been allowed to drag on, and yet another qualifying competition is gone.

The players aren't behind him. There was no fight in them v Greece. That's damning considering he had them for a long period of time to prepare.

This madness needs to end. He must have very good friends in the FAI to be still in a job.

Mick has consistently failed though, at this stage that's all he has done in the last while 8 years as a manager. After his last time managing Ireland he went to APOL and was sacked after 8 games because he wasn't good enough. He then went to Cardiff and a decent half season, and was then sacked after losing eight games in a row. He was then hired by Blacpool and last four-month in that job before he was sacked after winning only two games form 14. Again, a sign of his class motivational skills right there.

The reason we primarily use Uk based managers is that is where our players play so will Jess being able to accept 550k a year to commute to the UK every weekend to watch our players play.

Simple better manager, better motivator more assured in himself.

In contrast Kenny is a rabbit in the headlights poor motivator, disastrous at the media stuff and tactically naive. Where was the real plus points with Kenny? Other than aspirational?

• Advertisement

Crawford changes it up for the Kuwait game making 7 changes to the starting XI and moving Lawal into midfield with Hodge out injured. Andy Moran gets the captaincy which surprises me as figured Lawal would be seen as next in line after Hodge especially with Phillips on the bench.

If the players aren't behind him, someone would have leaked something to the press like has always happened in Irish squads. Theres been nothing, players have fully back him in the media, now that might be them making sure they play but in the past you could read into what players were saying.If they were also not behind him, would they not revert to type and not try pass it and just get rid? Smacks of someone with very little knowledge of how football works.

Kenny doesn't travel to the UK every week though to watch matches. Went now and then but Andrews likely spent more time watching players. I'd say even trips by Kenny were somewhat covered by the FAI and not all out of his pocket.

Its probably time for kenny to go after this campeign alright but the lads on here who where calling for his head before he even played a game where talking out there arse. Like it or not loi will be important for our success going forward were in no position to be turning our nose up at it

They will continue to do so because their entitlement knows no limits.

The fact some refer to those who recognise the importance of a sustainable domestic league as 'you lads' will tell you everything.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yea but would he want to do it at all? Who knows I suppose but that is the reason we depend on Uk based managers to a degree. Living in the UK or Ireland is a big advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, it's not.

It's ppl denigrating the results Mick got while trying to defend Kenny.

Pretty sure only one person even suggested Mick on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

No, it’s not.

People are calling for Mick based on his past regime, my argument is not him vs kenny - it’s that neither of them should have the job for the WC qualifiers.

Won't know till asked but Aberdeen were looking to appoint him after Goodwin was sacked. If managing in the UK is something that might interest him then a stint with Ireland might get him better offers than Aberdeen. Depending on someones family situation (no young kids, partner that doesn't work) could easily relocate to the UK and rent them a place.

Kenny is on around €550k a year, round that up to €600k with the extra money covering rent for somewhere in the UK.

Micks 2nd stint and kennys have both been poor in the end. Kenny at least was trying something new. It hasnt workmed out hut it was worth trying i doubt we go back to 10 behind the ball stuff regardless

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The thing is, outside of the very top teams, international management is not that attractive. In most cases, it's not a positive career move. People at the peak of their careers don't make that jump.

Gary O'Neill going from managing a Premier League club to managing Ireland would be a big backward step in his career, I doubt he'd be interested, even a job in the Championship would be better for his career than becoming an international manager at this point.

International managers tend to be people who aren't don't have a track record of management at high levels of club football (e.g. Michael O'Neill, Stephen Kenny, Gareth Southgate, Mick McCarthy 1.0), or are people who are over the hill and on their way down again (Mick McCarthy 2.0, Roy Hodgson, etc etc).

Obviously there are exceptions, but even in the past 20 years international management has lost a lot of it's shine.

• Advertisement

FAI posted this up on YouTube.

If the players are fully behind him and all believe in the project and Friday was a faithful application of his approach: it's worse in terms of assessing Kenny's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. We need to be looking for a younger more modern manager who can take us further obviously but also while continuing to develop the national team within a more progressive modern possession based style IMHO.

The auld fella with younger fella model is probably the likely one they will go for. Similar to the Stan/Robson duo. That way the FAI will be able to go cheap while being able to spin the eye on the future narrative, but with experience there as well.

If I was to pick a duo or trio that could be 'sold' that way would be Duff/Robbie Keane as manager and the older advisor type Brian Kerr there for the younger fella for support etc. Since picking an Irish manager these days seems less about their qualifications but more about 'project' and the 'optics'.

If you're gonna pick an auld fella to come in might as well pick one that's actually been doing something bar scratching his hole on punditry for nearly 12 years.

Lars Lagerbäck would be the perfect choice if he could be tempted from his current role. Went back to Iceland in a technical advisor role after his stint as Norway manager.

I was going to reply until I read your last little quip. You could easily apply that of your assessment.

As Lloyd correctly put it, if that was the players playing for him then it looks even worse for him.

Would Lagerback come to Ireland though? Has never been outside the Nordic type countries.

What about Roy Hodgson and Duff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And when you were making these Mick points nonstop over the last two years?

Was that also because people were calling on him to replace Kenny??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Have a look at the Cardiff and Blackpool fans forum and see how they regarded him as a dinasor in football now, they couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

I’ve supported Kenny as manager, he’s got us playing decent football and the fai should be happy with the big crowds.

Unfortunately Kenny s reign reminds me of his time at Rovers when he just took over a league winning team and just couldn’t motivate them.

Ive played in teams where we were as set as we could have been, tactically prepared knew what the opposition was gonna do and we went out and bombed, never turned up and never got going. That can happen. Kenny deserves criticism for last friday night but some here are letting the players away with murder and putting all the blame on kenny.

• Advertisement

So Kenny gets praised to the hilt for picking the players?

But ......when his players don't perform it is the players fault, and not Kenny?!

Kenny is safe no matter what with that logic.

--

If the players are not performing Kenny should not play them. or at least bench them. That is the job of management, to 'manage' players and motivate.

U21s match was abandoned after one of the Kuwait players racially abused one of the Irish subs. Were 3-0 up after two goals within 7mins from O'Niell and Carty with Emakhu scoring 7mins into the second half after coming on as a sub.

Does a match count as 3-0 win regardless when it has to be abandoned like that? Or is that only in competitive games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Had the misfortune of living there for 7 weeks before I called it quits. Horrible place

Ffs did you read my post? Players themselves had said they take the blame for Friday nighy, Kenny has said he takes the blame for it. You speak like someone whos never played sport or stepped foot in a dressing room

That's two games abandoned this evening because of racist abuse. New Zealand decided not to come out for the second half against Qatar after Michael Boxall was racially abused and nothing happened to the player who abused him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He could be gone tonight if Gibraltar get a result.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We're not playing decent football though. I know that's the endgame, but we're just not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah you'd wonder do the goals count for people's records. I guess not, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement