Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

The fact we only beat minnows recently means that kenny wouldn't have many goals to celebrate if only allowed to celebrate against bigger teams. The man is under serious pressure and entitled to get joy out of a goals . The reality is he may not get many more chances to celebrate, even if lasts til end of campaign.

Same result as france. like kenny wont get renewed but im unsure what people where expecting tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do you ever think maybe they are delighted for (could be wrong) to see 3 young lads get their first competitive goal for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Happy for McClean to get two assists, bizarre that so many seem to have an axe to grind with him.

Or Just **** happy to get a win. Mbappe smiled after scoring against them last week he should have been angry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He’s been a a very good player for Ireland and so dedicated. Comhairghdeas James.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ireland didn’t lose which means they can’t gloat about it, so they have to find the most ridiculous things to bitch about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Take your own advice and take off the blinkers. I made several positive comments tonight. It's fair to be critical of the over the top celebrations of the bench for the 3rd goal. We're playing one of the minnows of world football at home. It was an injury time goal against a team that is knackered and lost several of their key players over the night. Gibraltar have scored 12 qualification goals in their history. They're 201st out of 211 teams in the FIFA rankings. We're still screwed on qualifying for the Euros. But nah, 🎉🎆🎇

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McClean never gave us less than what he had to give. Always delivered massive effort, energy and enthusiasm. A career to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Did she just call Hamann an outsider!! Bit on the edge there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is Michael O'Neill still the benchmark some on here chanting about?

Norn Ireland 0 v 1 Kazakstan

I was talking about the bench going wild like it was some major achievement. Gibraltar! GiBrAlTaR! GIBRALTAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They've three points, we've three points.

I wouldn't be getting high and mighty about it.

In fairness everywhere you post you have a snidey comment.

I just put in down to a deep seated inferiority complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Much better second half and overall a fine performance and we can be happy with the nights work. Probably doesn't change anything in the long run though and you'd have to say Kenny's days are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah that aspect always fascinates me. Those Gibraltar lads have to go out with a mindset of - do the best they can keep the score down. I often wonder why they don’t get more naturalised Gibraltarese in. Good opportunity to make a name playing Internationally.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yes. Always gives 100% and stands up for what he believes in. Fair play to him. He set up 2 of our goals tonight and could have scored as well.

Woop woop its the sound of the fun police.

Theres nothing more desperate looking than someone lamenting another persons happiness. Its a 3-0 international win with some young lads scoring its more than anyone heres done on a football pitch. Critasising the performance is one think but critasising someone celebrating an international goals absolutely pathetic

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I was criticizing the management bench celebrating wildly after the 3rd goal. What exactly have they achieved? Did we qualify for something tonight? Or are we still screwed irrespective of beating a minnow of world football?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Do you give out about gaa players celebrating frees?

Management team puts a plan in place, makes changes, 3 young players score and you think they should be sitting down as if they to be shot? Utter utter bitter nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Indeed, there's a huge difference between criticising poor management and ongoing poor performance and criticising the players on the night.

Didi talking a lot of sense just now.

To be fair, pulling on the green jersey doesn't mean putting on the blinkers as well.

This is a multi stage campaign and in that context, it certainly looks like Kenny and his management team and style haven't done enough. As I said above, Didi summed it up pretty well just now.

Fair play to the 3 lads scoring their goals but that doesn't excuse the dire almost 60 minutes before that first one, nor the track record to date.

Didn't say they should stay seated and not smile. But keep it in perspective. We're still ######, it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The sooner Kenny is gone, the better.

Kenny flailing here.. He doesn't believe it can happen himself and that's a sure way to lose

End of an era with Liam finishing up too. That's the last of the old guard gone. 😢 Hope he enjoys retirement.

I know age comes for us all, but I just can't warm up to any of the rest of the RTE panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Thought it was one of his better interviews tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

Were they not celebrating because Idah got his first goal for Ireland? They should be, that's great news for him and Ireland.

Job done tonight, can't really ask for more. Gibraltar tried to frustrate us but a goal was always coming and it was always going to open the game up for more.

I don't see us qualifying but I don't see the point in changing the manager now either. I am looking forward to the home game against the dutch already. Hopefully this forum has settled down a bit by then!

The current panel are poor. Watching paint dry is more exciting.

Dunphy and the lads were great entertainment. So glad we got to enjoy them for as long as we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ffs the management team had a little team huddle for a few seconds. The way your going on you'd swear they ran down the sideline and celebrated with the players.

• Advertisement

Would have been nicer to get a Brady tribute rather than highlights of a forgettable match.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

What did Didi say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,997 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Studio not the same since the four horsemen

A wins a win tonight and France beating Greece has given us a small glimmer of hope going into the rest of the international windows. By god we have a right one in September to look forward too

Kenny and Co dancing around on the sideline was a little embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Nothing about Brady. Gave a weird look. Terrible form for rte not to do a montage. Loads of good stuff in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

i can’t agree, all he did was drop deep where no opposition players were and was ineffectual in front of a massed defence. Anyone could do that. Couldn’t get a shot off the one time in broke through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RTE's sports coverage has seriously deteriorated across the board over the last few years.

Disgraceful way to end Bradys tenure, he was a really shrewd guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did any of ye see Mbappe's penalty miss against Greece? It was retaken cause Greece keeper was off the line but seemed on the line to me

For what its worth it thought todays result was fine in isolation but in general weve gone backwards from the few times weve shown promise of kicking on. The scotland game vs the greece game where night and day and id argue weve a better team now than we did then. Disappointing but it is what it is at this dtage i hope the next hires not just big sam or someone like that take another shot on a young promising coach as we wont be able to attract a top end or even mid end established coach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ah they did do a good montage before the game to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭kksaints

Much better 2nd half and we really should have won by more than three. Ferguson much better in the 2nd half, Johnson made a difference as he was able to beat players with his trickery which created more space for McClean who got some good crosses with two assists. Parrott did OK when he came on as he dropped deep which created more space in front of the box although very few of our attempts to play through the middle worked which is a problem. McGrath did fine although he should have scored. Idah offers something off the bench with his strength and pace. On the other hand Obafami and Smallbone were dreadful and both were rightly taken off, Cullen was slightly better in the 2nd half but still was disappointing, he seems incapable of passing through the lines or the quick switch which is frustrating as he's often left with space in the middle of the pitch.

Wasn't the result or performance to make any definitive statements on. Personally I'd give Kenny the September matches as it'd be a horrible start for any new manager and could put them under pressure immediately. After that we will see who is available on the market and decide whether to make a change.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All the studio, plus Darragh and Ray on commentary- sounded genuinely worried and fearful that it could be an awful night for Kenny and Ireland. I thought that was really damning because the vibe was they feel sorry for Kenny and Ireland.

I can’t remember an RTE studio and commentary showing so much pity towards an Irish team - plus manager.

I had to keep reminding myself this was Gibraltar Ireland were playing. Such was the worry around the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ssshhh! Don't say that! You're asking for unwarranted vitriol.

You're absolutely right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I didnt think it should have been retaken. But you know France at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Let's call a spade a spade. A decent result, but an average at best performance. Some of that down to Gibraltar's doggedness, but they were very well organized. More organized than we generally look.

And for all the proper football, and lamenting past managers up and at them tactics, tonight, a classic 4-4-2, a set piece goal and 2 headed crosses were it.

There was little to none slick passing. It was still very slow, I wouldn't even call it patient, because at times we just didn't use the ball well.

We were a better team when we went to a more direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So is Kenny safe now until the end of the campaign?

Will the FAI be hauling him in for a half term review or will the win last night be enough for them to ignore the elephant in the room?

Because the difficulty of the draw I always believed he would get the full campaign, and I think he still will.

But what difference will it make anyway, the long-term damage was done by not sacking him after the Luxembourg loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah he should have been let go after Luxembourg. There has been no net benefit to sticking it through this far. Our ranking has suffered and he could have been replaced by someone who agreed to continue bringing players in as they became available.

The Luxembourg loss was the indication that the minimum level of ability wasn’t there, and bad results would be a feature. That has been borne out.

I still think the September games should be a free shot for a new manager, rather than an irrelevant end to a doomed regime. But maybe the decision rests now on who they want and their availability. The next board meeting is today week I believe. Any decision on how to proceed will be made around that you’d think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really nice evening at the Aviva last night!

Definitely a frustrating first half but Gibraltar were well organised and dogged. There was still a lack of cohesion in the forward line evident.

We would get the ball to the line and would smash it across without taking a second to look up - and there was time available to pick the pass instead of just hoping someone would get on the end of it.

Once we got the goal the team did look to relax a bit.

Just generally there was a lot of moving the ball from side to side in the final third hoping to create some space but we don’t move it quickly or accurately enough to do that, so our best option for these teams is to get crosses into the box. Couple of great crosses from McClean and nice to see Johnston and Idah get off the mark!

Also 40000 at the Aviva last night, great to see such support for a non high profile game on a Monday night!

Overall it’s an expected result and decent scoreline that really won’t influence much going forward. Kenny will be in charge for the next games - unlikely to get anything from them, so the manner of the performance will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Who in their right mind would start 3 centre backs against Gibraltar-do any of the coaching staff have any input ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement