Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

To cut a long story short, we realistically need Israel to qualify instead of Romania to get us into the playoff.

Israel are decent, but you'd have to favour Romania.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Its in the context of people saying "the Luxembourg" result, to push a particular narrative, when that opinion of "Luxembourg" is the side that were originally getting hockeyed all the time. Our game was one of a series of 10 games where Luxembourg won 4 times. In the WC campaign before that they drew away at France 0-0. Its all about context, like.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yep. They're capable of beating teams like us and Bosnia (away from home) but also capable of losing to Malta.

It's amazing the game of football, eh? Sometimes it goes really well, other times it doesn't.

And once again you can't actually see what's in front of you. Banging on about the Luxembourg result as if it was a national disgrace, when fact of the matter is they are better set up for the future than we are because they see the importance of investing in national acadamies, and it's showing in their performences.

Here meanwhile, we're expected to ship off our best players into over-saturated English academies and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just constant grasping for straws to try and minimise the extent to which results have been bad under Kenny. Allied to constantly and neverendingly arguing down any expectations we might have around results. Like we’re mad for expecting to get a result in Greece; or entitled for expecting to beat Luxembourg at home. Or just generally asking for Irish teams to be tough to beat.

Honestly can’t wait for this tortuous period to be over, and we can move on with a bit of hope and expectation again, and not be shamed for holding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Luxembourg's competitive record since beating Ireland - P17 W7 D3 L7.

Ireland's competitive record since losing to Luxembourg P15 W5 D4 L6

L - Port (a) (WCQ)

D - Azer (h) (WCQ)

D- Ser (h) WCQ)

W - Azer (a) (WCQ)

D - Port (h) (WCQ)

W - Lux (a) (WCQ)

--

L - Arm (a) (UNL)

L Ukr (h) (UNL)

W Scot (h) (UNL)

D Ukr (a) (UNL)

L Scot (a) (UNL)

W Arm (h) (UNL)

--

L Fra (h) (EQ)

L Gre (a) (EQ)

W Gib (h) (EQ)

--

So in that period we can say that Ireland and Luxembourg are very similar and Ireland are no longer the giants of football they once were based on some people's 30 year old opinions...😉

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Because I never heard of astroturfing in my life, and it was your opening line.

I never said Kerr was a genius but has football knowledge that would be good for people to tap into simple as that. Plus he always strikes me as a person who likes the quiet life. He went to the Faroes after all, and the commentary circuit is a cushy number for him. The fella definitely seems annoyed by the way he was treated by the FAI. So a fella with a point to prove normally does well IMO.

If I was Carsley I wouldn't go near the Ireland job, it would only lower his current status not enhance it. The FAI thought outside the box with Trapatoni (who no one expected) - the Stan and Robson duo - and the McCarthy and Kenny succession package (which covid ruined)

Ok I might be wrong but Carsley going to the Ireland senior job would be a massive step down for him in profile, Jones OK Luton fans give him praise. But why would the Irish job interest him? Surely he would be eying up a championship job? The Irish job could actually end up sending his career path backwards fast.

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeysus, the Ireland job has really fallen if it's beneath a near-50 year old with 2 years of average performances with an U-21 team to show for his management career.

Also, Kerr, just no. Obviously. Lovely man, a bit shafted 2 decades ago, but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What about Carseley’s results have been “average”? Topped the qualifying group, only losing the last game after their place in the tournament was secured. Tournament proper starts this week. What’s “average” so far?

The logic of 'kerr has lots of football knowledge' from people who balked at the kenny hire or would do so for a stephen bradley hire for example seems odd keers not cozched in a decade and prior to that it was faroh islands underage and league of ireland also.

I can understand some of the older ex prem guys even if i dont always agree with it but kerr i dont get at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

What did you think of our draw away to Georgia under McCarthy?

Kenny supporters like to run down our players and say how limited they are. On the other hand they try to talk up teams like Luxembourg who are filled with players of a lower standard than ours. Like I said, it'd be funny if it wasn't so detrimental to our progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I said average performances. Have ya watched them? With the talent they have - a team with a lot of Premier League regulars - you’d expect a lot more from them.

Their group was atrocious, with Kosovo, Albania and Andora all in it, so they only faced two actual half decent teams in the Czechs and Slovenia. Fair play, they beat the Czechs (as one would expect), but only took 1 point from the 2 games against Slovenia.

Look, I’m not saying he’s rubbish or anything, but I would say he’s immensely unproven. We’ll see how he does in the finals now - I like the chap, I hope he succeeds with their U21’s, and I’ll be watching them for sure. But I’d need to see something more impressive than we’ve seen from him thus far to not be very uncomfortable about him getting the senior Ireland job.

Progress is questionable here. Kennys not worked out and perhaps we will end up playing defensive football vs teams like france/portugal but what were doings worked out ok vs them. The real issue has been our inability to break down weaker teams. We cant go back to playing behind the ball vs everybody like we did in that 1-0 win vs gibralter there will be games where we have to open up. Realisticly the next manager will likely play a bit of both ways youd hope.

I think its reasonable to look at the greece game in particular and question kennys tactical eptitude he seems to have improved with making subs which was a weakness early on but id not say its reasonable to dismiss the sitters mossed in some games earlier on.

He wont get renewed post this campeign and thats fair enough it was a worthwile experiment but it hasnt worked out. A roy keane or brian kerr wont be the savior some think they will be im unsure who is a realistic candidate post kenny that will be an appealing hire but we will see.

Kenny had a bit of a breakdown at the press conference. Talking about all the great things he's done. How brilliant he is and how we're blessed to have him. He's made an absolute show of himself. His ego is huge and he actually thinks he's done a good job. Get this spoofer out now!

Kenny had a huge amount of time with the players pre Greece, an unprecedented amount of time to prepare. Gus Poyet destroyed him tactically. It was so easy for him. Poyet would probably be in the list of not the most appealing candidate with Keane or Kerr but the truth is that any of these are far better options than Kenny. I hope the FAI have people looking in not the usual places to try to unearth someone actually capable of implementing a progressive game plan.

I agree greece was awful hia worst game by a distance i think. The result wasnt the worst but the performance was brutal.

Ya poyet came from the chilean premier division or something like that but has been managing recently and fairly consistently so not really comparable with kerr or keane i think. Hed probably have been torn apart as a hire but he has greece looking well in fairness

You talking about Kenny? A public meltdown after an unconvincing display against Gibraltar, it's embarrassing. The FAI better be preparing whatever the modern P45 is for their meeting next week.

There are too many candidates for his worst game. Greece is just another number. Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria x 2, Luxembourg, the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah but are Greece better than the mighty Luxembourg?

We might be able to retcon the Greek game in a few months to being a respectable result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I heard John Duggan on Newstalk this morning admitting that the stats and performances under Kenny are grim. He was very sad saying it (he's been one of Kenny's most ardent supporters) but even he is now admitting that it's not working out.

• Advertisement

The gibralter display was fine much the same as some of the top teams in the world have done.

Its a man feeling the need to defend himself because hes being slated in the press martin o neill did the same its not the end of the world. people seem to overreact to this stuff. He was critasised for celebrating a goal the other day for god sake

They are yes very different games though we outplayed Luxembourg and they caught us with on the hop with a breakaway goal. Greece we where outdone tactically. Im unsure if you care about context or just want to sling mud though

It's the end. Martin O'Neill knew it deep down and Kenny does too. I think Staunton did the same. It only happens when managers feel their time is up and are trying to scrape on for longer. Kenny can list his achievements when applying for a new job.

Thats my point though what hes doing is entirely normal not embarrasing or not unexpected. Kennys not worked out but hes gotten more grief than any hire weve ever had somce before he played a game. I can see why he gave his side even if its a bit generous to himself

No id say greece was uniquely poor again look at context if we loose to a poor team but weve 25 shots to 5 at some point its on a player to take their chance its football man city can lose to Norwich on a given day. However there have been games where weve not ajusted as needed thats been the real weakness

It is embarrassing. It's really desperate and shows the ego of these men. They think they're doing a good job when the evidence states differently. Apart from O'Neill.

Kenny has not had more grief than any other manager! He's had the easiest ride possible. The media mostly defended him despite awful results. Fans singing his name while losing matches. It has taken this long for the tide to turn on him and he's thrown the toys out of the pram. Remember he's had double the amount of games Stan was given. He's been extremely lucky and should be thankful he was given such an opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kenny defending his job is now a reason to criticise him, completely ridiculous. Every manager does the same thing.

Maybe he should have taken a leaf out of Trap or O’Neills book and just called our players crap instead?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Man defends himself.

Really reaching here. If you’re facing constant questions then it’s natural to be a bit combative.

Did you expect him to say he was sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Unlike like you I dont want a washed up manager who hasnt managed for years to take over. The FAI will likely replace Kenny, but I would rather they take their time and pick a modern style manager, doesnt have to be Irish for me.

You obsess about "the cult of Kenny". Yet you have admitted you know little to nothing about Irish football and dismissed the LOI. Unlike you i care about Irish football and realise why the senior team is failing and know that its been coming for years. If the layers stopped playing for Kenny there would be a hiding in there somewhere. Its clear the players like him and like what he is trying to do, maybe hes too nice, who knows we are not at training or in the dressing rooms.

"Roy Keane is the most qualified candidate" Sorry I dont think a lad so is good at sound bites, seems to have very little tactical analysis is the man to bring on a squad of young championship players. Keane has proven he cannot manage players at Irelands level. I and others have pointed this out, shouting at modern players doesnt work. Kenny has been slated for his tactical choices and you think Keane can improve on that. Shows you are the one that knows little to nothing about football.

Kenny had two objectives when he was hired, bring through the young players and try qualify for this Euros. He has succeed in one goal and so far it looks like he is failing in the other and will likely not have his contract renewed.

• Advertisement

That's completely wrong. Greece wasn't uniquely poor. I've listed the games above but you can add Finland x 2, Wales x 2, Ukraine. The only decent win under his term was Scotland in the Nation's League. Apart from that it's only wins against low ranked teams. He's turned us into also rans.

He already did that! He threw them under the bus after losing to Luxembourg. He was saying how could we expect to compete with Serbia and Portugal.

He has done a horrendous job with Ireland, absolutely dreadful. Trying to defend that is laughable.

He went on a mad rant. He never holds his hands up and says he got things wrong, he's full of excuses, blames everything else and he's not in touch with reality. Gladly, it looks like his time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I can soon see this thread going on a tangent discussing how good the present england under 21s are

Ukraine 13 shots to 14 a 1-0 loss to a much better team.

Wales was a draw and a loss wr had more shots both times

Finland a 1-0 poss where we had more shots and a player missed an open goal in kennya forst game mid covid lockdown

Like theres plenty of valid critasisms but he lost to the ukraines not one of them

It wasnt a "mad rant" any more than celebrating a goal was embarrassing ffs

• Advertisement

A public meltdown after the first time he's actually been questioned on the awful results and performances. It doesn't show much for his composure.

But you agreed all of our managers have done the same so does martin o neill lack composure?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Did you actually read his quotes? He admitted hes made mistakes. Take a day, you hate Kenny and want him gone, grand. Having a go at a manager for defending his career is laughable but sure you thought he should have been sacked for celebrating a young lads first international goal in a 3-0 nil.

They were all awful performances. It's like going back to we won on possession all over again. No previous manager was excused like this. The amount of good performances under his tenure is a tiny percentage, that's the bottom line. 3 years of dreadful results and displays.

Wrong, I've already listed the games in which we were just as bad if not worse.

When Kenny took over we were just after running Denmark and Switzerland close for qualification. That's the opposite of also rans. Now we're battling it out with Armenia, Azerbaijan and Luxembourg to come off the bottom of the table.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned possession if your going to reapond to me please read what iv written. I

It was a mad rant, how does getting to an FAI cup final excuse coming near the bottom of the 4 groups he's been in charge of?

Yes! At the end he lost his composure. But at least he actually achieved something with Ireland. Kenny has been a complete failure, that's why it's so embarrassing.

Ahh sure anything he said would be a mad rant as far as your concerned have you seen or read what he actually said? I agree his times up but theres no rational to your hate for him

I don't hate Kenny, I hate the job he has done with Ireland. Like, he's been our worst ever manager. He and his supporters are trying to make out he's done a decent job.

So you're backing down on us being also rans since 2018 then?

No "his supporters" (as if were enemies here and not supporting the same team) look at it by a game by game basis and realised

1. It would take time to try to change what we do

2. It was **** to take over mid covid

3. There was promise to what was happening right up to last year if you watch the games

But now we can see the projects failed we tried something it didnt work thatbdosent make kenny some sort of villain

There's no hate of him. He has come near the bottom of the 4 groups he's overseen? Am I making that up?

Or you could reply to the comment and not go off on a "mad rant" 😅

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement