Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

It is the literal definition of also rans. We didn’t qualify!

Its completely absurd to say that campaign was a success or anything like a template we should be following.

Kenny will go, but Ireland have been also rans for a long time before he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He was hopeless from the start, there was no promise until he had to get someone in to set up the team for him. And even then it was bad. His supporters got him a new contract, that has been extremely detrimental to our progress. I support what's best for Ireland, they were supporting what was best for Kenny.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

O'Neill lost the dressing room and had some dreadful results at the end. McCarthy's time was up and down but his record was 5 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat. Kenny has dragged us down to a hopeless outfit. They are the facts.

Wrong again. Also rans are no hopers. We should have beaten Denmark in the last game to qualify for the Euro's. That's the opposite of also rans. Under Kenny, we're using the last game to try to avoid coming bottom.

The wins being gibralter twice, new zealand, Bulgaria and georgi none of those would impress you now. Kennys wins vs gibralter dont count though we didnt beat scotland or draw with belgium, we wherent a few mins off beating portugal or draw with serbia (which was ripped as a disaster at the time by some)

Ill leave it there id say your an absolute nut

We dominated the game. By far the better team. And this was a Denmark team that went on to the Euro semi finals. That was McCarthy's last game, competing with one of the best teams in Europe. All downhill since then.

You forgot to mention the draws against Denmark home and away and Switzerland at home. Wonder why that is? The results back up what I've been saying, hard evidence that we've gone from a competitive team to no hopers under Kenny. That's why you have to leave it there.

Your arguing with a wall. Context obly matters when it suits him

• Advertisement

We did dominate the game. Denmark only had 3 shots in the whole match. Trying to talk down previous results and performances is a common theme for Kenny supporters. If Kenny had overseen a display like the Denmark one you wouldn't be downplaying it.

Did we come near the bottom of the 4 groups under Kenny?

And that was the story of the whole campaign.

Play for a draw by being ultra defensive as long as you’re not knocked out by it.

We only ever tried when we went behind in these games, and we were never realistically in with winning any of them. It was this mentality that ruined our best chance of success in that group with that insipid draw in Georgia.

People like to say Mick kept us competitive but we were never really competing in these games, we never went after a win. We tried to get the bare minimum while hoping other results would fall our way, it was more like the illusion of competitiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Quinn has been pissed at Kenny from day one because his buddies Robbie was deemed surplus to requirements and Mick wasn't Ireland manager anymore.

Paid over three million quid to put ten men behind the ball and hoof it long to McGoldrick.

Wait, wait! Kenny supporters were just talking up Luxembourg. Surely Georgia deserve a bit more respect? If a defeat to Luxembourg at home was understandable, then a draw away to Georgia deserves great credit? But McCarthy was slated at the time and rightfully so in my view. Why the double standards from Kenny supporters?

McCarthy was competitive. Just because you don't like the way he went about it doesn't change that. And maybe he was right? With the players we have, he employed the tactics necessary to keep us in the group and close to qualifying. There's not even an illusion or anything close to being competitive under Kenny. We're far more likely to go back to a defensive game plan because of his failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There is a certain cognitive dissonance with the obsession of still presenting Luxembourg as a decent team while ignoring that Mick’s most lambasted result was a nil all with Georgia, the same result Denmark achieved in Georgia in that group.

I don’t really get personally why managers are constantly being compared, why opponents are constantly being compared. The two sides (pro and anti Kenny) are never going to agree anyway.

the case remains with Kenny that he has 5 wins in 24 games with only Scotland being the only one of those 5 to have qualified to a tournament in their history. Kenny was an excellent LOI manager and deserves respect but he doesn’t really deserve employment unless we beat the Dutch.

The Luxembourg performance and result were terrible. Nobody is saying otherwise - the only argument is that it wasn’t a sackable offence - some here are claiming he should have been given his marching orders straight after his second qualifier. The relatively recent good results by Luxembourg show they are improving while some seem to insist they are a bunch of postmen.

The Georgia performance was also terrible though. As was most of our performances throughout that campaign. Only ever showed urgency once we went behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ok grand, Mick nearly beat Denmark, huge credit. Kenny nearly beat Portugal away, no credit? Just so we know what your basing your points on?

Micks most lambasted result was a win vs gibralter where theyd as many shots as us in fairness.

Nobodys said Luxembourg are better than us or that we shouldnt have won it

But Kenny supporters are also telling us that our players are crap. The draw away to Georgia must have been good then. And to come close to qualification had to have been a great achievement. Or did the players only become crap when Kenny took over and teams like Luxembourg only improved then? Previous to that it was all the managers fault.

Kenny supporters twist themselves into knots trying to justify his failures. Facts are facts. McCarthy came close to qualification, Kenny has only come close to finishing bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That performance was so bad that our goalkeeper got MOTM.

No, McCarthy nearly qualified for a major tournament. Kenny took that team and nearly came bottom behind Bulgaria, Azerbaijan and Armenia in successive groups. That's what I'm basing my points on.

People are free to post what they want but I posted about Luxembourg beating Bosnia because of the playoff implications and it’s suddenly becomes a rehash of the Luxembourg aren’t that bad argument.

can we fcuking move on from this irrelevant nonsense?

Here's something worthwhile talking about rather than the constant back and forth of comparing old results and managers.

They reckon a medical could happen as soon as tomorrow. Interesting move for O'Shea and likely to see McNally pushed down the pecking order at Burnley. If I was West Brom I'd be looking for McNally on loan after his performances helped improve Coventry massively.

It wasn’t but you’re entitled to your opinion and i am not anxious to be part of this managerial reign comparisons which are pointless and go nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Nearly but didnt. Fact is both men had Ireland finish in 3rd in the qualification group, since you like using facts.... Fair enough Kenny reversed into it but he finished where he was expected to finish. Dont go twisting facts to suit your narrative, both came 3rd difference is Mick was employed to qualify us, failed Kenny was employed to change the squad and be competitive, he did that all be it as i said he reversed into it. This is the campaign they were aiming at, doesnt look like they are going to qualify and most likely wont be kept on.

I suggest you listen to last nights OTB show with Dan Mc and Gavin Cooney. A very reasonable debate and assessment of Kenny's reign.

People have rose tinted glasses looking back at Micks/MON's campaigns, the football was crap, the majority of fans wanted better football and crowds were falling. People lost interest in the team, Kenny appears to have brought that interest back, people clearly wanted something different and were prepared to back it because he was playing young players. Maybe hes not getting the best out of them or maybe they are just not that good. That will be decided when the next manager comes in and we see what his results are like.

But this correction in our status/ranking was coming, you cannot ignore your grass roots/domestic league for 30 years and expect to stay successful. The championship in England is competitive and may be ranked highly but it is not a technical league which is why our players struggle in Ireland games. People need to look beyond the UK. The English leagues are full of money, there were stories of League 1 and some League 2 clubs offering higher contracts than clubs in the Eredivisie, doesnt mean the quality is any better just means it has more money!

Bazunu, Coleman, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Cullen, Ferguson, looks like all of these will be playing in the Premier League next season with the possibility of Obefami and Doherty doing the same. Maybe our players aren't as bad as some want to make out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Again the definition of a 'washed up manager is based on nothing but your biases. Keane has managed at a much higher level at club level than Kenny ever will. Is Kenny a 'washed up' manager now for his quick short failure at international level? He has struggled against teams at all levels, failed to motivate players, and was found out both tactically and in his media work. Kenny died on his arse at the higher club level in Scotland. And has not managed outside Ireland at club level since. Yet you don't paint him as a 'washed up manager'. In fact you do the opposite you have put Kenny on a pedestal in your mind.

No doubt the argument you will again use that Kenny blooded players. But the core of Obafemi. Ferguson, Collins Bazunu etc would have found their way into the senior setup regardless under any manager. I suspect that many Kenny caps beyond that will not be heard of again.

So I wii ask you a question Roy Keane did a stint managing in the LOI would that suddenly elevate him in your eyes? Because I suspect by his profile alone players would gravitate to a club and he would get results.

As for the LOI itself I told you what I saw in Tallaght stadium 2019 lovely summers day against Dundalk feck all at it. Yet 100/200 or so Dundalk fans segregated over in the opposite stand it was odd. I couldn't understand why the crowd was so small. It was a big game. I was very disappointed with the crowd. After seeing Bohs v Rovers on telly thought there would be an atmosphere. Pat Fenlon is still the manager who came closest to the CL proper when it was much more difficult to get in, than it is now. That is nearly 20years ago. But Shels played games in Landsdowne Road the general masses were curious. But it all seemed to die as quick as it started.

But Kenny made his name on a little run in the lower level Europa League with Dundalk (much lower than Fenlon's level from 2004) got the u21 Ireland job on the back of it. Somehow the Irish media painted Kenny as the darling of Irish soccer after this the great hope. There was even people saying Ireland should be playing like Dundalk etc.

I also attended a Kenny u21 international match there was massive hope and hype at it, but not much in the way of a crucial result. There was massive hype over Stephen Kenny at u21. Despite not qualifying for an international tournament. It all seemed aspirational to me rather than actual success based.

I am a GAA person first and foremost. But it is the Irish soccer fans that have this dichotomy aspirational notions LOI fans have it with Kenny. Dreamers. Rudd Dokter was there years and what was achieved? Then there is the odd situation where most Irish soccer fans say 'we' for foreign teams. And the biggest crowds LOI get are when a British team comes over and plays a friendly.

And most of the support is for a British club. Which must break LOI hearts as the British clubs play at half pace barely breaking a sweat, and the ticket prices more than most would pay for a GAA match. The Man United v Bilbao Friendly in the AVIVA seems to sold out I see, and a bit of research the prices are 35 euro for an aud kick around. That is really odd to me. Irish people connectiing more with a British club than an Irish one and clamouring to go to see a half baked match.

Yet the LOI would only dream of such demand and pricing for the proper LOI matches. But still the majority of the Irish soccer support don't go. Most of the LOI stadiums are poor. I remember there was aspirational dreams from Bohs fans that they would be in the massive millions cashing in on Dalyer. Never happened. More dreams, more aspirations. Drums v Bohs back in the 50's/60's was not built upon since then the LOI have been chasing their tail.

Tolka Park should have been knocked years ago it is dilapidated. But then I think even the nice stadiums like Tallaght why is it not jammed week on week no matter who is playing? What is the excuse?

I lost count of the amount of times someone has asked me in a pub 'liverpool or United'. The majority of Irish soccer people do not identify with Irish clubs STILL. The LOI clubs have failed to get the connection with those fans and grow the league over the decades. The GAA have stepped in and got that community connection in the void the LOI clubs have left. The LOI clubs missed the boat and have been playing catch up, they should be getting hearts and minds. Doesn't seem to be happening. The British clubs still seem to be no1 for Irish soccer fans, they would rather spend more money on travelling over by plane to watch a foreign brand name than going to a LOI match. The LOI chance was really missed in 50's 60's massive crowds, but they did not have the acumen to capitalise on it.

As for International has never been easier to qualify for intentional senior tournaments. I believe it is over 50% of teams get a chance now as compared to years ago where it was ruthless, Yet Kenny has repeatedly ailed against teams at the level Ireland should be competing against. The bright new hope was nothing more than an optical appointment when all is said and done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

More twisting. McCarthy came close to qualification, Kenny came nowhere near. Staunton came third in his campaign, did he come close to qualifying? Kenny was hired to qualify for major tournaments. The FAI isn't a charity and they need the resources gained through qualification. Kenny has failed miserably and the Nation's League results mean we mightn't even get into a play off. Never mind the fact that with our rankings dropping, we're getting tougher group draws and making it more and more difficult to qualify.

No amount of spin, twisting, whataboutery, blaming players, blaming previous managers, blaming the FAI, talking up other teams and so on can take away from the fact that Stephen Kenny has been an absolute failure as Ireland manager. Probably the worst we've ever had. Time to get a new manager in who might bring a bit of positivity. We're not as bad as Kenny has made us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,437 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its amazing how quite the forum become when Kenny gets a win.....

I don't think there is much more to say.

It's quite because everyone should know that a win v Gibraltar means nothing.

I will admit as a person who thinks Kenny is way over his head and should have been let go ages ago that I was very quiet here after the victory v Scotland last year.

But the positivity from that was short lived and it's been back to the same old inconsistent rubbish from his team since.

But I'm not going running for cover after a win at home v Gibraltar.

• Advertisement

I agree plus I suspect the Carsley talk is Irish media driven rather than by Carsley or his reps. He would be mad to leave that u21 job. I agree with you 100% that Ireland needs an old experienced head at the helm.

Forget all this talk of ideology and style of play that is just pure guff. All that ideological dreaming has lead to a really Green (pun intended) manager at the helm with a big job on his hands. And it ended up been a disaster.

Whichever manager gets the job after Kenny I think it has to be an experienced person, someone who can mould a team and is not so hung up on ideology. Someone who has to turn these players into proper footballers - stop treating them like little boys. Turn them into a tough team to beat first and foremost. That is the basis of every team. I could not give a damn about style of play after that.

All this ideological stuff has lead to Kenny with really odd defences of his management. No other manager has got that level of blind backing in the history of the FAI. It would be nice to get back to watching Ireland with a manager who is not held up to be more than a manager the great 'saviour' etc.

So fans can get back to looking at results and how a team is building instead of this soccer figure head media bandwagon. That would be nice. So the man at the helm can get credit where it is due, and criticism where it is warranted like any normal manager. Instead of the farce we have now where we have fans grasping at straws looking for positives. And the forlorn Irish media who supported Kenny in utter confusion. And any negative criticism of Kenny makes a person an enemy of Irish football. That is mad altogether.

All that would stop with a proper managerial appointment that is not framed ideologically as the saviour of Irish football etc. That has been one of the problems of Kenny's reign the level of aspiration/notions have not been match on the pitch. So when Ireland fall many people fall hard with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

As for the LOI itself I told you what I saw in Tallaght stadium 2019 lovely summers day against Dundalk feck all at it. Yet 100/200 or so Dundalk fans segregated over in the opposite stand it was odd. I couldn't understand why the crowd was so small. It was a big game. I was very disappointed with the crowd. After seeing Bohs v Rovers on telly thought there would be an atmosphere. Pat Fenlon is still the manager who came closest to the CL proper when it was much more difficult to get in, than it is now. That is nearly 20years ago. But Shels played games in Landsdowne Road the general masses were curious. But it all seemed to die as quick as it started.

Ah here,you're spoofing now I was was at that game, it was packed, heres the video from then, just have a look at the crowd shots. If it wasn't a full house it wasn't far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw1IlOhljso

I love this logic 'we never went after a win' talk about notions. Most sensible managers at all levels away from home/higher quality opponent keep it tight and try to nick a goal. Nothing wrong with that tried and tested method.

Lets look at what Kenny did against Greece, he set up a very attacking set up and was torn apart, it could have been 6/7 - 1 and no one would have said it was an unfair result.

Did Kenny's Ireland ever look like he was in the game? Was there a chance of a draw? Nope Tsmikas given the freedom of the pitch (a fella who rarely gets much gametime for Liverpool by the way - another excuse many use for Kenny's players)

Southgate over beyond has had success in tournament football by keeping it tight nicking a goal. Always in games, always competitive. In Italian football they are famous of winning 2-0 1-0 keeping it tight.

For a poor team to naively 'go for it' against better sides technically or away matches is just silly beyond belief. But that is what Kenny did v Greece! Qualfying for tournaments involves grinding out results fighting for points when a team is technically inferior in particular. That is just the nature of it.

To think Kenny can 'go for it' against teams is dreamland stuff, but the fella is a dreamer. But his dream against Greece quickly turned into a nightmare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bazunu won't. Even if he gets his starting spot back he will still be in the championship. However, Kelleher might if he gets a transfer to a premier league team and can nail down the no 1 jersey there. Collins might depending on if he can either get back into the starting 11 at Wolves or that Brentford move goes ahead and he can get regular game time there. Coleman showed he is still great against France but he misses a lot of games. When was the last time he started 2 games back to back for us? Obafemi and Doherty might but how many minutes will they get at their club? Being in a premier league team isn't all that much use if the player isn't getting regular game time and isn't playing well when they do get on the pitch.

Saying all that, I do think our team isn't neccessarily that bad.

There was big huge gaps. Main stand full but opposite was very sparse. My argument is why wasn't it full? Big match two big teams. Where was the marketing? Shouldn't it be a full house?

Oh yes! Bazunu got relegated. I think Collins will win his place back if he stays at Wolves. I think we can say we'll have 4 or 5 consistent premier League starters with a few more playing less regularly. You'd hope others like Molumby and Smallbone could be towards the top of the championship and regular starters. Knight could get a good move and others like Ogbebe, Parrott, Connolly etc should get plenty of games in the championship. Overall, we should be optimistic about our players.

looked quick to enough in the one on one with Mbappe.

he may be finished but I’ve never seen a player Irish fans were so desperate to write off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That’s not true at all, if anything the opposite has been the case. Kenny got an easier time of it than anyone before.

Have to agree, the idea that Kenny has had a hard time from the media is literally opposite to the truth.

• Advertisement

Hes gotten some more leeway during his tenure from some alright but im not sure iv seen so much couting out of a guy befire he ever played a game so im probably wrong in that respect

Of coarse there was a chance of a draw ot was 2-1 and one of their goals was a penalty. Would have been massivly against the run of play though

Your ideology stuff is odd hes changed tactics multiple times if by ideology you mean poayers should pass sometime then id say its not as cutting edge and freeky as your making it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He got more critasism upon signing but also has gotten more leeway from some throughout his tenure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We didn't outplay Luxembourg at all. We kept the ball, and did our passing for the sake of it a lot. They created more clear chances, with more on target from fewer shots too.

We played with traditional wingbacks too, which doesn't suit us as we inevitably play with 5 at the back much of the time. Next match we comfortably won, and pushed them more wide midfielders paired with 2 wing forwards.

The 3-5-1-1/3-5-2 should be reserved for the likes of France.

3-4-3 or 4-3-3 would be far better options for some of the opposition we regularly face, with pressing and a lot more put on the forward players to provide the width and stretch a defence.

Currently we seem to pack the box, send it out wide to a wingback or maybe a midfielder as gone out their and let other teams keep all their shape to just mop up anything we try .

We went with a bit more of a 4-3-3 on Monday, got some proper width and caused them problems. The first half was some of the shitest football the team has ever produced

I just saw Kenny mentioned he gave 18 players their debuts etc. I don't get that his defence of himself and his record is a new thing? He did the same with TO'D ages ago after some hard loss listing off his Dundalk record etc.

But it is the 18 players debuts that is the new info for me anyway. This seems to the main argument for Kenny 'progress' by some.

So I decided to look at the amount of players Staunton gave a debut to see did he come close to 18.

1) Colin Doyle

2) Joey O'Brien

3) Joe Lapira

4)  Stephen O'Halloran

5) Joe Gamble

6) Darren Potter

7)  Joe O'Cearuill

8) Stephen Gleeson

9) Alex Bruce

10) Sean St Ledger

11) Andy Keogh

12) Daryl Murphy

13) Alan O’Brien

14) Paul McShane

15) Wayne Henderson

16) Anthony Stokes

17) Peter Murphy

18) Darron Gibson

19) Alan Bennett

20) Shane Long

21) Kevin Doyle

22) Stephen Ireland

23) Stephen Hunt

24) Stephen Kelly

--

Edit I left out two of Ireland's better players of the last decade like an eejit - Shane Long and Kevin Doyle. That annoyed me! And I also forgot probably the most contraversial player since Roy Keane. Stephen Ireland! Also more Stephen's - Hunt and Kelly

So 24 players I could find Stan beating Kenny in the blooding stakes. Sure that is nearly a tournament proper panel in itself.

Special mention to Terry Dixon (called up but injured never got cap)

What is more impressive is that Staunton really took to blooding players with real zeal. His tenure did not even last 2 years -

(Jan 15, 2006)  -(Oct 24, 2007) 

Imagine the 'blooding' Stan could have done if he was given more time?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

Agreed, I said 'who?' For a lot of them. But a debut is a debut. There were some other fellas that Staunton liked but didn't give a debut to Celeb Folan and Jonathan Douglas. They either got debuts after him or before him. He even gave Jason Byrne more of a go then previous managers.

Staunton definitely was not afraid to throw lads in. I can't remember him getting much praise for it though. I suppose Sean St Leger and Paul McShane were two of his 'success' stories. Maybe Daryl Murphy/Gibson at a push.

Edit - Doyle/Long/Ireland levels above who I had forgotten they debuted under Stan.

Stan was probably unlucky in that he was coming off an era of massive success and was relying on those ageing players without much else. The "im the gaffer" taking the mick out of his accent stuff was compleatly unnecessary i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I wonder if some of the people in here actually ever go back and re-read the bilge they type!

It looks like everything else in football, its either black and white and there cannot be any grey.

You’re either United or Liverpool, soccer or GAA, pro-Kenny or anti-Kenny. The media are either pro-Kenny or anti-Kenny.

The lists go on and on, yet the conversation just goes round in circles, hopefully to be washed down the plughole of time.

Thank God Steven Gerrard left Rangers because that got very controversial there for a while for the Celtic/Liverpool brigade.

Thank God Messi went to Inter Miami because if he had joined Al Nassr people’s heads might genuinely have exploded.

It was bad enough having to accept that Sergio Ramos and Messi were playing together for the last 2 seasons.

If we blur those lines, can we have a team that can both play football and get close to qualification, or are these mutually exclusive?

I watched Georgia last night and even in the pi**ing rain, and even at 2-0 down, they still played technical, watchable football. They did lose though.

Do we have the players to do that, or are we saying/accepting/realising that maybe we have to go back to route 1 football after all?

Ireland's highest ever ranking was 6th in 1993, while they were as low as 70th in 2014. Their highest ranking of the last five years was 23rd in 2016.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How many of those players you listed for Staunton were only called up because no one wanted to go on that US tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We had to block 5 efforts inside our penalty area, they had to block 2. They were working opportunities in our area

3 of there outside the box shots were in the edge too, they were no all speculative potshots (we had 2 ourself)

1 of ours was from a setpiece.

I'm not debating that we should've beat them, or didn't have chances, but we didn't outplay them..not by any stretch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement