Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think he gave Kevin Doyle and Shane Long their debuts as well. Staunton was in charge for half the games Kenny has been given. Let's not forget that Kenny has had some of the best youngsters in a long time making breakthroughs. Any manager would have picked them. Even McCarthy had already brought in 17 year old Parrott and Aaron Connolly despite actually being in the shake up for qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There was about 11 or so that made their debuts on that tour according to my research on it.

Ecuador match report - 2007

'Steve Staunton's makeshift side earned a spirited draw against Copa America-bound Ecuador in New York on Wednesday as the Republic of Ireland manager handed debuts to 11 players.'

And below is a 'where are they now' 2013 article written about that tour

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Even when we had the players to do that, we didn't really, but the players were also good enough to know how to change it up on the pitch at times. We lack an out and out leader on the pitch at times, someone who can make the decision to maybe change the style a bit, something they've trained. Coleman was the closest thing to that, none of the rest have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Joe lapira especially. That was against Bolivia or something in Boston or new York

Missed the Ecuador link

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Keane lamented that usa 94 team playing long ball stuff in his biography alright he reckond they where well able to play with anyone albeit roy was a bit that way in general i suppose so hard to know how right he was

Keane lamented that usa 94 team playing long ball stuff in his biography alright he reckond they where well able to play with anyone albeit roy was a bit that way in general i suppose so hard to know how right he was

I have thought that about Georgia as well it n the past lovely technical footballers, why can't Ireland do a bit of that? The truth is Ireland don't produce the players to. If they do Ireland would be playing like that. Jack Byrne was hyped up for a while v Bulgaria I think it was? But Kenny decided he was not up to it - despite the Rovers link. Then there was talk of Cypriot football suiting Byrne thereby helping Ireland. Pie in the sky dreamland stuff it turned out. Georgia beat Gibraltar 4-0 by the way! Maybe the Georgian manager should be head hunted??? 😉

Then I ask myself what have Georgia got for all their nice technical play they barely threaten goals against the decent sides half the time? And normally when they concede they fold. All the technical ability in the world is no use if a team collapses like a deck chair at the first sign of set back.

That is the bit about Kenny's Ireland that really winds me up, he has sucked the energy and fight out of the team. That has nothing to do with technical ability that is just drive, energy etc. If a half decent manager can put a decent defensive structure on a team with drive and energy they do well. Ireland under Kenny is like an electric car, all good notions and all that, doing things the 'right way' but feck all use practically for the long proper journeys because you have to queue for the charging point.

Kenny has basically made Ireland the worst of both worlds, does not play with energy, move the ball quick close down quick - and is not able to play technically (which was the main promise) that is some achievement in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But, but. but i thought Kenny was the first manager ever to blood a load of new players ever and no one else in the whole world could have done it apart from Kenny and huge credit due cos its never ever ever been done before and would never ever ever have been done at all if it wasnt for Stephen Kenny.....according to certain posters on here!!!

Is it lack of leaders or are most of the players just thick unable to take instructions? I think back to Robbie Keane when he was a young fella alert soaking everything up. Bazunu and Ferguson, Collins all seem to be willing to learn push on. It can't be a coincidence they are the better players.

• Advertisement

You are correct on Shane Long - sort of assumed he was there beforehand how could I forget Long.

Doyle -debut v Sweden - What annoys me I was at the game. Poor auld Liam Miller scored a peach all I remembered from it.

Will have to update me list.

So what is that 21 players - debut for Stan - Doyle - Long - St Leger - Gibson - McShane all varying successes that is 6 players IMO . Kenny would do well to get six remaining after his tenure. Will be close.

So it really shatters the blooding players = great manager myth.

Worse still I left out Doyle and Shane Long from the Stan debut list two of the top stars.

In fairness, they don't put it exactly like that but it is what Kenny supporters have been pushing as a defence and Kenny jumped right on it during his rant. It doesn't add up to scrutiny though, much like the other Kenny excuses.

I think I've remembered two more. Stephen Ireland!!!! And probably one of our fastest ever players, Aidan O'Brien.

No saying hes brought through some young players isint the same as saying hes the only manager whos done it or saying hes done it phenominally well when you exadurate to that extent to make your point you lose your point.

"Kenny supporters" and were all just irish fans so thats ridiculous anyway. Are generally happy to agree its time for him to go the facetious dramatisation of peoples points is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Really!!

Cos i raised this point previously that Kenny simply picked the best players available to him was hardly a huge positive as any other manager would have done the same and was told now this hasnt been the case!

Now it turns out he done less of this "huge positive that we should be thankful of" than the much maligned "stan staunton"

Many Kenny fans have said that McCarthy or O'Neill wouldn't have brought through these players or Trap before them. Complete nonsense of course but that doesn't stop them.

Feck it S.Ireland was a Statuton debut assumed it was Kerr.

But he fell out with Kerr according to wiki-

'Ireland represented Ireland at under-15, under-16 and under-17 level, but when called up to under-18 level he had a dispute with coach Brian Kerr after he was left out of the side for a match in Ireland's home town of Cobh and told to watch the match from the stands. The team lost the match 4–0, and Kerr suggested Ireland would be involved in the next match, in nearby Cork City. When Ireland was again left out, he requested to return to his club, and Kerr informed him that he would never play for the Republic of Ireland while Kerr was manager'

--

Aiden O'Brien no Stan debut made his debut under MON 2018

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aiden-obrien/nationalmannschaft/spieler/148908

• Advertisement

Right so kennys the devil, hes never played young players hes been the ruination of irish football and well never recover from it. The idea of passing the ball to another professional was a joke nobody could have seen it working out..

There you go of were dramatising what was said i should have said that day one. As i said it hasnt worked out but im glad i wasnt one of the people rooting agains their country for the last few years

My fault, it was Alan O'Brien. He had tonnes of pace but not much else unfortunately.

I think he is on the list Newcastle wasn't he?

Yes, for a short while. Are Stephen Hunt and Stephen Kelly on the list?

Shite no - I missed all the good players. I was working from the obscure lads up ya see. And then filling in the rest. out of my head. Using this list.

Ireland Players To Play Under Steve Staunton Quiz Stats - By BallsQuizzes (sporcle.com)

So that is 24 players debuted under Stan -

- of those - McShane, Long, Ireland, St Leger, Doyle, Gibson. Daryl Murphy, Stephen Kelly, Stephen Hunt were still around a good while after Stan. Except Ireland for non footballing reasons. That is 9 players. out of the 23.

I won't be able to take the piss out of Staunton as much now - much more than Joe Lapira.

No way will Kenny have 9 remaining of his debutants used integrally by future managers. Nine is moving in the realms of seriously impressive blooding.

That is an another thing that wound me up, and posters parroting the stuff from the media on here. To extent I thought half of them were having the craic, then I realised they were they were deadly serious. I still find the amount of excuses and types of excuses incredible.

I have never seen the like of it for any other Irish manager I can remember. Normally the discussion is oh he should have started xyz instead of abc player. Formations etc. Normal type stuff. But instead it was like some sort of crusade vibe -the future of Irish football at stake apparently. Kenny was to lead that. No middle ground.

'In Kenny We Trust' - no questions asked.

Jayus, Lads.

• Advertisement

What Staunton was missing was a vocal support who backed him no matter what happened. In his 17 games he beat Sweden, Denmark, Wales and Slovakia, drew with Germany and a very good Czech Republic and gave a host of players their debuts as we've seen. He was building for World Cup 2010 but Cyprus and San Marino results cost him his job. It really shows how lucky Kenny has been to survive this long.

Oh I thought about that as well, the media tore into him.

I remember the Father Ted and Dougal comparison

The vast majority of media are actually pitying Kenny - OTB - RTE - even Eamon Dunphy on his podcast etc.

Philip Quinn the last day was a rare exception, and Kenny didn't know what to do in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

No self respecting LOI club would hire Keane for a start. If Keane was serious about getting back into management why isnt he applying for Championship/League 1/League 2/SPFL jobs? If hes that good why arent clubs in those leagues looking for him? He's on Sky, he could be pimping himself out, he could go on MNF and do a tactical analysis of a game like many others managers have done? Do you really think young players who want to learn the game want to be shouted at by Keane? I imagine many admire him but wouldnt want to be in a dressing with him.

When is the last time Roy managed in his own right and how did that go?

Once again your ignorance of the LOI is shocking and i suggest you quit while your ahead!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Staunton had some of the most talented players we've ever had the pleasure of watching at his disposal. Champions League winners, Premier League winners, plenty of players playing in the Champions League and performing in the Premier League on a regular basis.

He had all of that at his disposal and still lost 5-2 to Cyprus and needed a Stephen Ireland injury time winner to beat San Marino.

Of course Kenny is going to get a lot more leeway when you consider the mess he was left with compared to the riches that Staunton got.

Christ your vendetta is quite worrying at this point. You're just spewing word vomit and then when you don't like when people bite back at you, you tell them to 'take your own advice' and you offer nothing in rebuttals.

Some people I've argued with here are actually trying to post in good faith. You, however, are coming back with vitriolic rant after vitriolic rant trying to make out that the sky is falling in and making attributions that nobody has said.

Pretty much everyone here is in agreement that Kenny's time is probably up, yet you're constantly having a go a 'Kenny fanboys' or whatever stupid buzzword you use, and you're having a go at them just for having some common f*cking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Practically every LOI club would bite your hand off if offered keane as manager. it’s a complete tangent and meaningless but deluded to claim otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Keane would probably get a first LOI job but not a second.

As for the Staunton revisionism, good God lads.

When you have to resort to a comment like that, you know you've lost the argument. I've backed up all my points with evidence, if cutting through Kenny supporters lies and spinning upsets you so much then put me on ignore.

Staunton was rightfully sacked. I was saying that if he had vocal backing like Kenny has, they would have used the good results and players brought through as an excuse. Kenny wasn't left a mess, he has created a mess that the next manager will have to repair.

You can judge a manager on where their team was when they took over to where they left it. We nearly qualified for Euro 2020 in a strong group when he took over and had a chance to qualify through the playoffs. Since then we lost that playoff, have fallen down the rankings, came near the bottom of all 4 groups and mightn't even get a playoff for the Euro's. Kenny has to go now, that's common **** sense. 😂

Dunphy really had a go at Staunton back in the day

Then Giles on the RTE panel wanted 'football people' to make the decision for the manager after Stan

The relevant line for today from Giles was that the appointment of every manager is a gamble. The Staunton gamble did not work out. But you try and 'reduce the odds' in appointment. Giles wanted Paul Jewell, incidentally

--

It makes me think back all those years on that Kenny was an even bigger gamble.

--

Getting Trappatoni and digging into him afterwards - Dunphy wanted McCarthy back!

Dunphy on MON can live with a style he does not like - character of Irish team beyond question

Later Dunphy said MON has not got a clue as he turned on him

But on Kenny - Dunphy has been nothing but positive -

1 year ago courageous Stephen Kenny -states Dunphy

Two months ago - Kenny is on the right track is the line

Dunphy - We have every reason t believe in this team and it has every chance of qualifying above Netherlands and Greece and of course Gibraltar

Dunphy -'Kenny Right man for the job, what he is trying to do is very brave'

--

So far Stephen Kenny is the only manager that Dunphy has treated with kid gloves.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I can't believe you belief in what you are saying any LOI team would kill for Roy Keane as manager attendences through the roof straight a way high profile players attracted.

You did not answer my question if Roy Keane got a LOI job would it give Keane the necessary gravitas that you seem to think he needs? Would a LOI job do that for you? Would a LOI job further Roy Keane's qualifications for managing Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

“probably” 😂, he would walk into every LOI managers job except maybe rovers. Sure none of the current LOI managers are impressing that much. Absolute notions that any of the ones outside rovers would turn him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

O'Shea could an astute signing from Kompany. Wanted to sign him last season also before O'Shea signed his new contract. Last season was Al-Dakhil's first in senior football and he's got more competitive minutes at a better level than Ekdal who both joined in January.

With O'Shea you're also getting someone that's highly professional and a leader as he mostly captained West Brom last and would have gotten the armband full time this summer. I'd have him down as future Ireland captained when Coleman moves on too. Egan will likely get it but think he covers Egan before getting it.

Thought McNally was someone that Martin should have signed last season for Swansea but instead signed Harry Darling who he worked with at MK Dons and Nathan Woods from Boro. Going forward Darling was better alright but as a defender McNally was easily better.

And shown by the massive upturn in Coventry's form after McNally signed Swansea would easily have made the play offs at least. Only missed out by three points. Don't see him being a possible target for Martin though unless they lose a few players. They spent a lot last year and most their CBs have only been there a year or two.

Think Burnley will try and use McNally in a player plus cash deal to try and sign Gyökeres from Coventry. If so McNally should turn it down cause Coventry will struggle to replace Gyökeres and Hamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Kenny is becoming quite unlikeable. Excuse after excuse after excuse and hyping up achievements to a level which they aren't

He seems quite disillusioned and I say that who was happy he got the contract extension

Carty got the assist for O'Neill's goal and Andrew Moran assisted the second and third goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I can't wait for this UEFA 2024 campaign to end so we can put this thing to bed.

Then with the new man in we can blame Kenny for leaving it in such a state or blame the new fella for his shocking tactics.

We have to blame someone because clearly we believe that we should be back up there with the elite again! I'm afraid Brexit, with its value add for players declaring as English hasn't helped us at all, and isn't going to change anytime soon. Rice, Grealish, Cannon, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

What's Paul Jewell up to these days ? 😁

• Advertisement

I couldn’t resist checking earlier. Jewell is a free agent. His last job was Director of Football at Swindon 2021.

Nathan Collins to Brentford rumours getting stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seeing the Staunton posts and the players he had at his disposel and some of best in their prime not only was Staunton the worst Irish manager of all time, possibly worst International managers in Europe of all time.

Sure we can add names but Stan is right up there. Waste of space although kennys time feels like it's getting that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Came on and saw a billion new posts and figured something big must've happened. Seems that was not the case.

In amongst it all, great move for O'Shea though, definitely deserves to be a Prem player. Decent move for Collins too, if it comes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

Point out where we came near bottom in our qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You'd really have to wonder whether employers need tighter governance on their employees internet usage during working hours. Astonishing number of posts in here today given it is not match day.

Fingers crossed O'Shea and Collins both get those moves sorted and get regular football for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Similar here, I thought maybe Kenny had been sacked or something.

Seems Kenny is like marmite in this thread. There is some great stuff being thrown out I think in the hope nobody will challenge it and then rowed back on if someone does. And “facts” all over the place.

I hope he can string some results together. I feel others are happier to see us lose. If he doesn’t string some results together he’ll be gone. And it’ll be on to lambasting or defending the next guy.

Be interesting to see if people forget bemoaning performances under Kenny the same way some have previous managers.

Hopefully the academies put in place at clubs can lead to good players coming through and the fai can invest in the league to give a viable career path for youngsters so we have some sort of base to work off in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We were always competitive in groups before he arrived.

O'Shea often goes under the radar when talking about Irish CBs but can see himself going on to be a solid PL defender and always feel the defence is more secure when he plays.

Fact he went out on loan to the 7th tier for his first loan and then League Two he likely wasn't held as highly as Collins and Omobamidele who made their Stoke and Norwich debuts at the age O'Shea would have been winning the Southern Football League Premier Division with Hereford.

Definitely got future captain material written all over him when Coleman retires. Mostly captained West Brom last season and would have taken the armband this season if he stayed. Think Egan will take it full time when Coleman retires but can see O'Shea covering for Egan if needed. Would definitely back him to do well at Burnley next season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is it safe to come back yet? Have they all gone?

Interesting move for O'Shea. I assume that means McNally will he going back on loan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement