Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Can see Brighton cashing in next summer but it's gonna have to be a British transfer record. Money from that funds the next couple of players that will come in, be developed, and sold for good money.

Fergusons own camp though might fancy him staying with Brighton for the 24/25 season though might depend on the personal at Brighton next season and what clubs are chasing him.

If clubs are throwing big money at Brighton and Ferguson in 12 months they'll still be throwing money at him in 24 months.

Also don't see Liverpool spending the money needed to get Ferguson given the age of their other forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

What % are Bohs on, could run the club for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cole Palmer was £40+ million.

Ferguson on form is ahead of that, easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is an English tax for an English player though, the Irish players always go for cheaper. If Grealish or Rice stayed 'Irish' - you could nearly half their market value.

Ferguson a better player than Palmer though IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'd say if you rang Tony Bloom two months ago offering £40m odd for Ferguson he'd have laughed at you. Hojlund went for £70m+, that's where the bidding would have to start and that was before Caicedo went for £115m. Transfer market has gone to the dogs and there's too much money floating about. Fully believe you won't get Ferguson for anything less than £100m and that's even before today. There seems to be no one shrewder than Tony Bloom and Brighton don't need to sell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's 10-15%, not certain on the exact figure. Pretty significant amounts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

That Brighton team were a joy to watch today, and Ferguson thrives in that setup. I don't expect him to play with ireland to same level so expectations will need to be lowerat international level for a few years.

• Advertisement

It is an awful pity Ireland don't have players to feed him, makes Ferguson wasted for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

18 year old scoring a PL hat-trick against a CL team. If he was English the hype would be absolutely off the charts. He's a serious customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Gary Linekar and Alan Shearer have been raving about him on Match of the Day for a while so they hype is real already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Really? Thank christ he's played competitively for us so, or they'd have him poached like Rice or Grealish (Yes, I know Ferguson's "actually" Irish!)

• Advertisement

I've just looked at his wiki page - his dad, Barry Ferguson, is younger than me. That's sobering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

I've no doubt they would have sent the feelers out some time ago but unlike the other two he was reared here so I doubt it was ever a decision for him.

It is all there for Evan Ferguson to do well, seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders, his auld fella played pro football in England as well which is where he met Evan's English mother.

The very fact he chose Brighton over Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, indicates he has a serious head on his shoulders (or at least has very good advisors/agent). Brighton is the perfect place for him for the moment.

Good point touch of the Robbie Keane's about that move - long term thinking, wants gametime etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But didn't he start this season on the bench until someone else got injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think it's more De Zerbi minding both him and Welbeck.

Ferguson because he is still so young and doesn't want to flog him and Welbeck because of his injury record

Yeah, hope that's how the manager sees it. I think we forget how young he still is.

Let's hope he stays fit and avoids any major injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ferguson gave a lovely insight into the relationship with his dad on Sky after the match. Paraphrasing "he never put any pressure on me but was always at my matches and I knew if I needed advice from him he'd know what he was talking about"

Started the first two games on the bench but played the full 90 against West Ham in game three along with Welbeck with Pedro dropping to the bench. Welbeck started the first three games so could have dropped to the bench to bring Pedro back in who only started game one.

Ferguson did start pre season a bit later than others and didn't get as much minutes as the others. Probably why he started the season on the bench.

Very true. I'll admit that I thought he was 20/21 up until a few months ago. The size of him belies an 18 year old.

In comparison with Harry Kane, Kane was posting Ferguson numbers in the 13/14 season when he was 20. In effect, Ferguson is about 2 seasons ahead of Harry Kane is his development. That's serious.

His father played professional too. Mostly in Ireland but went across to England when young. Works as a development officer with the FAI I believe. So not a bad person to have in your corner when mapping out route in development. Nathan Collins similarly comes from a footballing family background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

I can see him skipping the top 6 teams in England and going to one of the elite European clubs! He could be the Kane replacement everyone thinks he's going to be but at Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

You can see English trying to push the idea he is eligible to play for England because of his English mother. But he is completely different to Rice and Grealish. While Grealish played Gaelic football it was through his grandparents his Irish connection is. Grealishs clearly had fondness for Ireland but he feels English and he is born and bred in Birmingham. Rice its same its grandparent is the connection. Rice was born and raised in UK, surrounded by English family and friends.

Evan is a completely different case. Evan is an Irish Meathman. He was born grew up and raised in Bettystown County Meath. He went to Primary school and secondary school in Bettytown Meath. His first soccer team he played with was in Bettytown. Than onto St Kevin's and Bohs. His best friends went onto win All Ireland football minor titles with Meath 2 years ago. Parents still live in Bettytown. He quite similar to Katie Taylor who has English parent but is Wicklow woman from Irish eastern coastal town Bray. Evan who has English parent is an Meathman from Irish Eastern coastal town Bettytown. Must be something in the air in those coastal towns off the east Coast.

Ferguson could become biggest superstar to ever come out this country. Maybe he wouldn't. But definitely looks like a top class Premiership striker at 18. Even Robbie wasn't that level at 19.

Evan reminds me of things I would heard about player like John Charles. Strong powerful centre forward with exquisite touch. Hes an old school centre forward. You dont see anymore. Its huge for Ireland. Most top nations dont have top centre forward. Spain dont, neitheir do Italy, neither do Germany. Ferguson has the huge potential and we are talking Man utd than onto Real Madrid potential. That's bigger than keane Giles or Brady. Imagine how good he will be at 23 24 25. Unreal potential..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

He had offers to go to other clubs but signed a new contract recently till 28 I think.

Seems like a lad that had his head on his shoulders, will get plenty of game time this season at Brighton and is at the right place under a manager that is playing some lovely football.

Ansu Fati is going there on loan, so Xavi one of the best ever in midfield with a huge football game playing brain can see DeZerbi will do these young lads right.

I'd hate to see him at a big club this season, with massive pressure on his shoulders that could go the opposite way easily for his career.

Let him grow his game where he's at, same club that bought him and its a exceptionally well run club and he'll flourish and grow age, mentally and football wise. He's a exciting young player thats for sure.

• Advertisement

The money is in the EPL , but Real Madrid need a No9!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Xander10

Have you actually listened and read the English media's reporting of how good they think he is?

Relevant as in "Evan Ferguson is from Ireland" as opposed to keeping the national team relevant? Unless we find a good creative midfielder, and/or some new blood for full back/wing back, it's difficult to see us being able to service him effectively.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Ferguson has the potential to be one of the very best premier league strikers ever, crazy talent and maturity at his age. I’m English and it’s not just in Ireland where the hype is real, all my mates back home rave about him, I don’t know one person who doesn’t think he’s the real deal.

The amount of messages I’ve had asking if he can play for England is worth a chuckle, unfortunately for us (and rightly so) he’s going to play for Ireland, absolutely has the ability to be your Bale going forward and seems like a good egg too.

He's hyped, but not "off the charts" hyped 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think Kellegher is far worse in that regard.

He doesn’t look at all convincing from long range shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

In fairness to Bazunu he never let Ireland down, usually plays really well for us but some of the goals he lets in for his club are very soft.

Kellegher isnt the real deal in my opinion and staying at Liverpool at nearly 25 doesn't say much for him.

what has he done really apart from saving a few penalties?

who else have we got? Travers was awful for us a couple of years ago but has he improved since?

For all the talk of sweeper-keepers, being good with your feet, playing out from the back etc, saving shots is a keeper's bread & butter if you're not doing that then you're not going to be elite unfortunately. Hopefully it's an aspect both our keeper's can improve on but it will need to happen sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, Bazunu is a real concern. I'd say he needs to get away from Southampton - the fans are turning on him. I thought he might improve in the Championship but he's getting worse arguably. He's very young still but hard to know if he'll make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Scales starts for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Kevin Keegan, Wayne Rooney, Steve Bruce, Robbie Fowler all could have declared for Ireland. Could have been a great side for decades if those English had any sense! 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Martin Keown too.

• Advertisement

Think they've an injury problem at CB. Probably why he's still at the club nevermind starting. Good to see him play either way and at CB too. Away to Rangers could be a tough game.

Bazunu is our number 1, and rightly so, anyway you look at it.

That lad Lagerbielke playing CB with Scales is a bomb scare. Total accident waiting to happen and only for VAR it already happened. Soft call but you take them all day when they go your way. Lovely finish from Kyogo whose a cracking player though.

Also this no away fans allowed at games is stupid. Killing the atmosphere which is what made these a must watch. Was funny watching the Rangers fans celebrating a free out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭CinderKone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fraser on the bench for Wolves today. Pity Hodge got injured as he'd be very much in with a chance of minutes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement