Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

behave, K dog is still waiting on his first good result as Ireland manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Kenny doing a great job with dirt at his disposal. Hope he's given lots of time. Hard to change decades of stone age tactics in a few games. Super manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The only miracle here is that you manage to pull yourself away from fawning over Ronaldo long enough to actually post !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

We're on to a good thing with Cullen. You could build a pretty decent midfield around him. The definition of composure on the ball and gets his blocks in.

Really like the cut of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What do you expect after a few games, with radical new tactics?

Continue to park the bus? Doesn't get results anymore. Ireland were already falling further behind with that system.

Kenny's approach is the only way forward, and he's the best we'll get playing with that approach.

Takes time

• Advertisement

In the end that's the only reason that this game will be remembered - him breaking the international goals record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Proud of the performance tonight but **** hell its a heartbreaking way to lose the match

We need a win Saturday more than anything in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I've absolutely no idea how any Irish supporter could be happy for him after the way we lost. Mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Nearly everyone on here saying that a 3-0 loss would be the best we could hope for... have a bit more belief in our lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lost for words after that one.

That defeat really hurt. I still can't believe we got nothing out of that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

first positive signs from Kenney. Thought Idah did very well in that central forward role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Having slept on it, still annoyed at the result but moreso hugely positive about the team. It was a really intelligent performance by our lads, sure they made some mistakes but it’s much better than the hit and hope stuff from recent years. I really believe Kenny can get us to 2024 if given the chance.

Looking forward to Saturday and hopefully the lads get their first competitive win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It goes to VAR, they a probably both booked. Then O’Sheas lunge that does himself in gets him a second yellow and we are down to ten for an hour. We are very lucky it didn’t go to VAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yes! 14 games and 1 win is far too early to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dissapointing not to hold on but it's shows we have some serious players coming through, we just need to find believe and somebody who can score a goal. We're well capable of mixing it with anyone in Europe.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldn't call them dirt. The likes of Bazunu, Kelleher have huge potential, kelleher is going to be in the top 10 keepers in the world in a few years in my opinion. Then you have other lads like cullen, coleman (was pure class last night), knight, parrott, doherty (best Ireland game I saw him play last night). There is the bones of a good team there and mostly young players. The big difference in last night and the way we used to play against big teams, was we weren't just lumping it up to no one, the lads tried to play football on the deck. Kenny needs to be given another couple of years in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That's the thing, if we're not going to win against Azerbaijan on Saturday, the heroic effort against Portugal is for naught. Kenny needs to ensure that these players pick themselves up and replicate yesterday's performance. If they do, we get a competitive win and that's hopefully a springboard.

• Advertisement

I hope people are right on Bazunu but I would have to say on last nights performance he produced a good penalty save, a bad pass that led to the penalty, all the saves he made were straight at him, once of which he recovered well after almost having a disaster. He was beaten by a shot from Bruno that he shouldn’t have been. Lucky it was just off target.

i think some of the praise might be OTT. He is showing a lot of promise but I’d like to see more.

in terms of the ref; the late free for handball and the Connolly getting shoved in the back were wrong decisions. The others were correct in my opinion. So we should have had a penalty at 0-1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: this is not the Ronaldo record thread. Please return to the thread topic please.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On the connolly shove. He spends far too much time falling over at the merest touch, that I think referees are always going to be reluctant to award him frees of penos. I had hoped he'd grow out of it by now, but he's at the same thing for 2 seasons now. His work rate and speed are great, but his finishing is awful and really needs working on.

Idah was great though. Held the ball up well and gave them trouble. There's a definite partnership there, but it needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Will take a while to get over that. Still fuming over the performance of the officials. They were terrible.

Some really encouraging displays from the players last night.

Bazunu was excellent bar the incident for the "penalty". However he redeemed himself fully from that. No chance with either header unfortunately.

Coleman was brilliant. So composed in possession and brilliant going forward. Hard to think of a better game from him. He was undone by Ronaldo's movement for the first header, although the cross should never have come in - more on that later...

Doherty had by far his best game for us. Worked hard, linked well going forward, won plenty of free kicks and headers.

Three (four incl Omobamdiele) centre backs were superb. Similar to Coleman, Duffy was caught by Ronaldo's movement for the second header. Egan taking the Sheff Utd approach of CB getting forward on a couple of occasions to support the attack, one of which should have seen a goal/pen for Connolly had the officials done their job.

Cullen was very good. Showed a range of passing last night that I hadn't seen before. Right foot, left foot, outside of the boot.

Hendrick finally showed for the ball. Sloppy at times in possession though.

McGrath acquitted himself very well. Composed on the ball and his set piece delivery was good.

Idah I thought was superb up against two excellent centre backs. He won a huge amount of ball that was played forward to him, only let down by the occasional erratic touch.

Connolly was a mixed bag. Linked up well with Idah at times, and should have had a penalty for Paliniha going straight through the back of him. But also very frustrating in terms of going down too easily when in good positions.

McClean needs to be put out to pasture. Living off the fact he works hard. Was terrible for the first Ronaldo goal, and then wasted a great opportunity when Collins put him in immediately after Portugal scored. He had three options - square it for Collins, shoot across the keeper, shoot near post. He shoots near post straight at the keeper and thereby wastes our last meaningful chance of a second goal. He isn't up to it at this level - his decision making is terrible.

maybe a partnership with parrott, not connolly. He couldnt even take on 38 year old pepe. He needs about 10 chances to score, you cant do that at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The lads done well last night but im not sure its any indication of whats around the corner,

We got the first goal and hung on

I also think that even though Ronnies scored 2 goals his inclusion makes Portugal very predictable ,They don't carve out many chance but when they get one he usual scores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I genuinely can't remember the last game of top level football I've seen where the officiating was as one sided as that. Obviously there was the big decisions that were given exclusively against us, but just his treatment of the Irish players, like they were toe rags in comparison to Portugal's professionals was farcical to see in an international football match. The referee's disdain for Aaron Connolly when he went down injured (legit injury) in comparison to his glee when booking Ronaldo for scoring the winner was something else. You can read this as sour grapes but I couldn't get over what I was seeing last night, that man was minutes away from booking Irish players for having the temerity to look Ronaldo in the eyes.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Parrot is playing in League 1 though and not exactly firing them in. I don't think Parrot would have troubled them any more. Nothing I've seen from him thus far would suggest he would. I'd give him a chance in one of the upcoming games all the same

I don’t find disdain for Aaron Connolly all that hard to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Great performance from Bazunu last night, we have a potential superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Well in general ye sure he's easy to hate but still if a Portuguese player had gone down injured last night with the scores reversed nobody can tell me that ref's reaction would've been the same as it was to Connolly.

He done well but he also made a big mistake for the peno,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

yea he looked brilliant...

wont be long before he is back at Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Talk of Parrott instead of Connolly doesn't make any sense. Parrott doesn't play wide and when he has he seems to be lost. His best work is done from a central role, like a 10. I don't think think he'd have the pace of Connolly or the work rate tracking back. For all Connolly's faults, and there are lots, you can't knock his work rate and his pace frightens defenders. He needs to be a better finisher and needs to cut out the diving and niggly sh1t.

Obafemi would be the obvious next choice in that role if he settles at Swansea and comes back in favour.

We didn’t play the ref very cleverly last night. Doherty was given a clear instruction to walk off the end line when he needed attention, runs off the sideline, rightly gets a stupid booking and pisses off the ref.

ultimately Connolly made himself hard to love with his constant diving and furtive appealing for non existent fouls so when he was probably fouled for a penalty it was a case of the boy who cried wolf.

some views of the referee are decidedly through green tinted glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think MM18 has learned to type with one hand !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think this game needs to be put into context. Yes it was a decent performance and a game that we might have won. We were completely dominated and outplayed in the second half though.

I can see the positives here but if we do not beat Azerbaijan on Saturday then it is all for nothing. A loss or a draw on Saturday asks serious questions about the whole project and the performance last night will quickly be forgotten.

Parrott mostly played off the wing for the 21s with Idah central. Looked alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would have to watch it again but one the lads was saying it's more likely ligament damage than a break. So hopefully it's not too bad, but he's Irish so we all know our luck when it comes to players picking up injuries.

He also got up and saved the penalty.

The kid is only 19 which is so young for a keeper and he made some great saves.

He is out playing and learning while Kelleher sits on the bench every week, I wish Kelleher would go out on loan and they could have a great battle for the next few years.

• Advertisement

He was able to put a little weight on it so would suggest a non break. But a bad injury anyway I’d say.

Connolly is mcclean mark 2. all running and no end product. At least Troy can finish when he gets a chance. Troy is going to have the better career and yes he is in league 1 but so is Bazunu, doesn't mean they will be there in a couple of year time.

Ye he done well & plenty of room for improvement ,

Its quite interesting actually we will see what's best for a keepers progression , Kelleher should get a decent amount of games i'd imagine he will start all domestic cup games,

Kelleher seems more of late bloomer than Bazunu who seems the more natural shot stopper ,,

Should be two good keepers for the next 10 years

I also will surprised if obafemi especially and Connolly probably have better careers than Parrott.

But what is the plan for Kelleher a few games a year for the next 6 or 7 years behind Allison.

I think going out and playing games even even in a lower league will be much better for development.

If Kelleher wants to be number 1 he will need to go out and prove himself because he won't get the jersey if he is not playing.

From an Irish point of view it would be great if he went on loan.

Connelly has pace and good movement and gets in good positions and misses easy chances.

Again I think he needs a loan where he will play every week and work on his finishing.

He is still very young and will hopefully keep improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t know which body looks at the performances of officials and how they’re appointed BUT someone needs to have a look at those officials last night and punish them accordingly. They were a disgrace to the profession.

Hope Kenny or whoever the appropriate people are make a big song and dance about our treatment from them.

This happens too often to the smaller countries.

As far as I know every game at this level will have a referees assessor in the stadium. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah I've been very vocal about Hendrick, but last night he had a good game. Was sloppy in possession on a couple of occasions but that was probably his best game since Wales 2017 or Euro 2016. Hopefully last night gives Bruce something to think about if he can keep it up over the next two games but you worry for lads like him who've no game time at club level after putting in a shift like that last night.

Some of the young lads put in a good shift last night especially for lads that aren't starting at club level or basically making their competitive debut. Omobamidele basically fits both those categories.

Idah looked good up against two experienced defenders in Pepe and Dias. Time for Farke to take the kids gloves off with Idah. It's disappointing that he didn't get a loan to someone even like Blackburn who try to play decent football.

Jamie McGrath on basically his debut for Ireland showed more in one night than Hourihane has in all his time with us. If he can keep it up he'll have a few clubs eyeing him up next summer with less than 12 months on his contract.

You could basically go through nearly all the players and point out positives last night. Connolly is his own worse enemy for often going down too easily, and McClean coming on ahead of Horgan for Connolly was the wrong call IMO.

Our first home game with fans in a long time, I think the lads will have the momentum to carry last night's positives into the next game even if there's a few lads with tired lads.

Would go with:

-----------------------Bazunu

---------------Duffy - Egan - Omobamidele

Coleman - McGrath - Cullen - Manning

------------------Parrott - Horgan

---------------------------Idah

Azerbaijan won't give us the space that we'll get against better teams. They'll stick men behind the ball and make us try hard to break them. With that I think McGrath could drop deeper and bring Parrott in.

Manning I'd start because we'll need someone with a left foot to get some balls into the box if we get in behind their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Actually, did the referee apologise to O'Shea for booking him when he was clearly injured and unable to continue anyway?

I thought people were going slightly overboard with the ref, but that incident with the Ronaldo yellow was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement