Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Let’s get the experts in ,Kerr as manager with Dunne and Delaney as assistants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great posts gormdubhgorm, you’re nailing the context around this imo. There are a number of notable journalists who shouldn’t be trusted to give an honest take on the Senior Team ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tell us more about the ‘beat the teams you should be beating’ thing. I can certainly remember a disappointing draw against Azerbaijan, and then the Luxembourg disaster obviously stands out here.

Beyond that, tell me about the teams that we ‘should be beating’ but haven’t been.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Mick had plenty of talent at his disposal when he took over. A prime Roy Keane, Given, Irwin, Staunton etc along with prodigious talents in Robbie Keane and Duff coming through and playing regularly for their clubs at 17/18. How you are so blind to that is beyond me.

Kenny was left with a situation where we had a decent crop of 21s coming through and an aging starting XI who for the most part we’re playing bit-part roles for their clubs. How can you compare that to what Mick had? It’s delusional and it’s baffling. Of course he deserved more rope. That rope was this campaign, which ultimately looks like it’s not going to pan out and we will move on.

The fact you said Michael O’Neill had the North sitting back etc shows you didn’t watch a single minute of Northern Ireland under him. He had them playing great stuff and with confidence. Complete and utter lies from your good self. Michael O’Neill also I’m sure had 1 win in his first 10 games (open to correction, I read something about it before but I couldn’t find it) and eventually it just started to click for him. It took him 4 years to reach a major tournament after he had to give that Northern Ireland squad a significant overhaul no different to what Kenny had to do. However if your logic applies then Michael O’Neill shouldn’t get credit for that.

It is not ‘spoofing’ about the future of Irish football. Irish football has been stuck in the stone ages for a long time because managers kept telling us we were simply crap. We have to get with the times. We are miles behind already and the fact you are so ignorant to that fact tells me you don’t actually give a f*ck about the future of the sport on this island. You just want us to qualify for tournaments and hope we aren’t embarrassed.

You have never once backed this manager for anything. You are someone who deserves no success from this team. You and many others in this thread. Shame on every single one of you practically begging for losses and then running away at the sign of a positive result. Proper loser mentality, that despite what you think is a winning mentality.

Kenny wasn’t the one to take the step forward but the next manager will be grateful for him. All of those young lads will have as many caps as 31-year old John Egan has now and the team will be better for it.

I look forward to continuing my support of this team no matter who gets the gig. You, on the other hand, can look back on the last three years with shame that you unilaterally dumped on this team because you weren’t getting your piss ups at major tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

You seem to be the only one over egging the point of "blooding players" to be honest.

I'm pretty sure you are the poster that spent the last two years on the Dublin GAA thread calling for Dessie Farrell to be sacked.

I suppose you had to move on from that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

True about a year I would say he did enough to keep his job the year where he reached the AISF v Kerry and there was no stand out replacement from Dublin. I am on record of saying that as well. After that I said a fresh voice was needed the way things are going Banty from Monaghan I mentioned.

I am on record as that saying Kenny might as well stay for the Irish soccer team, because there is no point in changing at his stage. Kenny has the 'sub' teacher role until a proper manager is available the way I see it.

But the way the media has blindly backed Kenny has been shocking. Dessie Farrell would never have received the same backing in that other code you mentioned. After some consistently questionable performances against weaker sides, tactically in particular.

And I was wrong on Dessie Farrell from what I saw, glad I was wrong as well, as a fan of the team. But that is really a discussion on other threads. But you omit to mention one major factor - deliberately I assume

Ironically, Dessie Farrell was saved by bringing back the tried and tested old heads Cluxton, Jack Flash and Mannion which completely changed the landscape it was not 'blooding players' that saved him from the QF onwards and especially the AIF. The return of veterans which completely changed the dynamic of team.

Plus Farrell surprisingly benched Kilkenny in the AI QF v Mayo cleverly using him as a sub along with others. Something he never did prior in any game. Kilkenny always started - people were shocked He fact he was very slow making subs in league and championship. He completely did a 180. The spin you are trying to put on in is one to diminish comments I make in a snide and duplicitous manner. And fairly unbecoming. But thankfully I am articulate/knowledgeable enough to detailed what occurred.

It not me that brings up the 'blooding of players', it is others that use it as an excuse to defend Kenny with, I have already shown how Staunton blooded 24 players to Kenny's 18 players. About 10-12 were crucial players for the subsequent management -Trapp and MON etc - Doyle, Hunt, Keogh. McShane, Long, St Ledger etc. Yet the Stauton era is pained as failure.

Which then leads to a further question should Stephen Kenny follow Dessie Farrell's lead and bring back some older heads? As it has been said plenty of times that the team lacks experience on here by posters. Either directly or by implication.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭kksaints

There isn't really any older heads to bring in who are in decent form, in fact he brought Duffy back and started him against France. McClean is still a regular sub and Hendrick is in the squad even though he's struggling for game time at his clubs. Apart from Brady who hasn't started yet this season and Scott Hogan who hasn't impressed in the opportunities he's gotten there really isn't any older players to bring into the squad. In fact I'd say a significant number people would prefer to get rid of two of the experienced heads in Hendrick and McClean.

True, I was racking my brains to see could I think of anyone, Robbie Brady is probably the only one not there so far. But he is all over the shop with injuries? And he was never consistent. Great for the versatility though. For some reason David McGoldrick popped into my head always liked the way he played had a bit about him a clever footballer - kept himself fit. But he is even older than McClean and plays in League two for Nott's County!

Hogan was fairly brutal when given a chance from what I can remember, seems like another lifetime since he was played. Hendrick I never know what to make of him, whether he over-performed occasionally when younger, or now gradually found his level. Or if he underachieved. Or if his best position was not found - I don't know.

I suppose that means the next manager after Kenny will probably stick with a core of the Kenny's Kids that start now (it will be interesting to see how many are kept) Kenny loves Idah for example - I am not sure the next manager will keep him around? Then he will have to try and phase in a few u21 lads etc like that Andrew Moran fella, who scored v Turkey there the last day.

Surely there are 4/5 English lads or from elsewhere with Irish ancestry - that can do a job for Ireland in the next few years? Preferably experienced heads.

Get them the 4 proper caps as quick as possible etc. England are spoiled for choice at the moment which made that Grealish/Rice thing even more annoying.

• Advertisement

There isnt a huge amount available from the "granny rule" atm, I think the last player we got from that was Marcus Harness? that was it's vital that more funding is provided to the LOI academy system. We have to produce our own players now, we cannot freeload off others now or in the future, the English academies are not available and there is diminishing returns to the ancestry route.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

So your solution to Irish footballs problems is cap English born lads?

Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

So you are hoping English born lads are too thick to realise they are being cap tied

Well that or fellas that have given up on the England dream - one cap wonders or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Post edited by Brock Turnpike on

Plenty of other countries do it, plus Ireland is an even smaller nation than many who do. Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Nigeria, Algeria (French born fellas) all those countries that used to be colonies get foreign born players to play for them..

Aside from that Greece even got Baldock to play for them, and Poland got Cash. Other countries even nationalise Brazilians that live in their country for a few years. Luis Oliveria the fella that scored against Mick McCarthy's side for Belgium in that play off springs to mind. Crucial for Belgium at the time. But that is not an option for Ireland beacuse not many foreigners are going to stay in Ireland, nevermind ones long enough to become Irish citizens. But you never know might persuade the next Joey Ndo?

Occasionally it works the other way - John Barnes was Jamaican born for instance, played for England. Saido Berahino was from Burundi but for a long time (sought asylum in England at a young age) it looked like he was going to play for the English senior side.

It is the only way to look elsewhere. because the Irish players are not there, and as others pointed out there is a gap in age in the squad now. Plus Irish people have a large emigrant population. It makes perfect logic sense to me. Ukrainians in Ireland, Asylum seekers etc cast the net wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think the most disappointing thing about the game against France was the lack of shots from Ireland.

even poor teams usually mage a few shots. what kind of tactics would you suggest for us to get a few shots on target in games?, especially against strong teams.

long balls to Ferguson to knock down to someone else? crosses from Ogbene? I think we can forget about any nice through passes from cullen, knight or mollumby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mikey Johnston is the last one we got with it i think, was a terrific get in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Where can the FAI get the funding? As someone pointed out earlier Irish soccer fans spend their money on Prem league and to a lesser extent european teams. I can only speak for Cork but the biggest sports shop in the city (lifestyle) doesn't even sell city jerseys with an entire floor of every soccer, rugby, gaa merch available. LOI cant compete with that. I live in a large town with thousands of young kids 11km from Cork city. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw a city jersey. With the weather lately all the jerseys are out and i's all premier league, Messi, Ronaldo and I've noticed Mbappe popping up a lot lately. Cork city simple cant compete with that type of marketing so how do they fund an academy? The owner sells toilets and he's up against oil states and multi billionare owners. It's simply wont happen that the FAI will ever get anywhere near the funding needed to compete with the bohemoth next door.

Government funding is needed, that's why the FAI plan released earlier this year was crucial. To get every 50 percent of that plan implemented would be a big improvement. It's also why the John Delaney era was so damaging, all that money wasted on his wages and expenses. How much did the LOI clubs get from the Euro 16 participation money? €5,000 each to produce a report I think it was and yet we had some of the largest player bonuses in the entire tournament. Iceland gave each of their clubs over €100k i think I can't remember the exact amount (For all the good it's done them, the lost 3-1 to Luxembourg yesterday).

Bizarrely I saw someone wearing a Cork City top at a GAA match in Wexford today, didn't expect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agree with u man but I wouldn't hold my breath on the government. Down here a 12m state of the art facility in glanmire was cancelled at the last minute only in May this year after a TD started asking questions. There is no government appetite to invest in soccer. It would've had 3 pitches, state of the art medical facilities, classroom,gym etc. Gone overnight will never happen. Forget the government I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

See Ireland qualifying campaigns from 1988-2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well firstly I don't think many do and certainly I am not suggesting we should be competing with the as you correctly describe it behemoth next door. That would be crazy and unrealistic. But we have to be looking for private as well as government funding to develop respectable facilities both in terms of stadia and in terms of academies. That is how we build a positive long term future for the game in Ireland. Personally, I thought the strategic plan for the game the FAI released earlier this year was a positive vision.

Can you not see the stupidity of your posts??

You slate Kenny for playing young players while also then stating the FAI should be looking for players who dont want to play for us? And you say Kenny supporters are deluded....

As I and many many others have stated we are in this mess due to 30 years of under investment by the FAI and the government in Irish Sport and especially football. We have to continue the work started over the last 5-10 years. Its starting to produce players and lets hope some of them might turn out to decent premier league level players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

On a kind of side note I think we all in Ireland would be better served in future as well especially at regional level if the GAA and the FAI as well as maybe other national sports bodies that get government funding for stadia built shared stadia. For instance up in Louth why not build a county stadium that Louth GAA and Dundalk could use. I know its not going to happen but just my though that kind of mindset would be a better idea for everyone as it would provide better stadia for everyone.

You put a twist on what I said again (it seems to be an unfortunate pattern with you) I said try and get players who are are eligible to play for Ireland but not Irish born simple as that. A high profile Irish manager would make that easier, but it is silly to completely dimiss the idea looking for eligible foreign born players who could strenghten the squad.

I would also propose to make it easier to get Irish citizenship for foreign footballers with no Irish connection. Other countries do that by nationalising players after 3 years. As usual you give no solutions except blame the FAI.

Would Belgium have qualified for the WC and beat Ireland in 1998 without Luis Oilveira? No Belgian connection completely naturalised citizen. I remember thinking why don't Ireland have fellas like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Does Sammie Szmodics count even though he's yet to play or get called up since sorting out his passport back in March.

Tyler Goodrham looks like a player that might come in handy. Got his Irish passport sorted out earlier this year too. A winger that's started the season in form for Oxford. Pity he had an injury when he reported for the U21s.

Louie Barry is someone the FAI should approach. His England chances are dead and he's never played competitively for them at underage either. Mightn't amount to anything but still underage for 21s so another option for them. Has started the session well at L2 level (4G, 1A) in Stockports first seven games.

CJ Egan Riley another U21s player the FAI should approach. Hasn't played for England in two years at U19 level. He's not doing much at Burnley and played half a season at Hibs. Can play RB, CB, and DM which is the main reason we should approach him. Might never get senior caps but if he turns out to be half decent it's someone that can play in two positions, RB and DM, which we need options for.

Not a granny ruler but FAI should be putting the feelers out to Dennis Cirkin again. Wasn't called up for England's U21s unless he's injured. Lewis Hall wasn't called up either so there's plenty of competition for that LB spot.

Yeah, definitely a few lads that might be open to a switch alright. What's the craic with Liam Delap, is he still eligible to swap over? His profile has dropped off a bit over the last while, and a senior breakthrough looks less and less likely with the England national team.

On players already playing for us underage, what's the story with Calum Kavanagh? Looked awesome for a while there, with wicked pace, but I see he hasn't played for us (or anyone) internationally since 2020.

Good chance that Delap will become ineligible for us soon. If he didn't have his Irish citizenship sorted before he got his first competitive cap at underage for England he'll become ineligible if he plays for England at any level once he turns 21.

If he had his citizenship sorted then he'll remain eligible, but if not the FAI will need to get him to switch soon.

Yeah was weird he didn't get called up for the U19s two years ago. Was showing great form with Boro underage at the time and could play anywhere in the front four. Two half seasons in L2 but still at Boro for the first half of the season. Like the last two seasons they'll probably loan him out in January. Hopefully they look towards somewhere else instead of going with L2 again.

You must have a very short memory (it is the context of the whole Kenny tenure - there have been so many tepid performances devoid of fight and passion. An Irish side that is one of the easiest to play against in intentional football barring Andorra, Liechtenstein, and San Marino.

This is not what Kenny promised - September 2020

The new boss wants the senior team to play the kind of attacking football the Under-21s – of which that quartet was a part – did under his charge, but insists he has not deliberately created a buzz about them.

Speaking ahead of his first game at the helm in Sofia on Thursday night, he said: "Sometimes I answer questions too honestly, but it’s not a deliberate strategy.

"Maybe it’s not wise, maybe other people are wiser than me, but I do believe that we have a lot of potential coming through the ranks.

"We’ve got a lot of good players, exciting players, exciting attacking players coming through, and we had a lot of good players in the squad already before I was appointed."

--

In December 2021 Kenny not only promised the fans attacking football played the 'right way' he was going to try and win the Nations league

--

September 2022 Josh Cullen elaborates on Kenny's philosophy

“You have to believe in the philosophy of the team and the way the manager wants to play,” said Cullen. “It would be a waste of time if we came here and worked on stuff and then as soon as one mistake happened, we shied away from it and went to a different style."

“We have to be brave and play out from the back; and if mistakes happen, they happen, we have to react as a team but the more we do it, the more we improve, hopefully, the less mistakes will happen.”

--

The results that have shown a worrying tepid pattern, that Ireland could/should be doing better in. It is all about context. I count 14 such games under Kenny's tenure.

1) Kenny's first game tepid draw v Bulgaria 1-1 side to side stuff - you actually had people gloating about the possession stats

2) Lost to Finland away in another tepid performance 1-0 - how much threat?

3) Was handed a chance at a play off place v Slovakia through no work of his own (hoped for a penalty win)

4) Tepid 0-0 v Wales where Wales were not even arsed Ireland were that easy to play against.

5) Lost to Finland away this time 1-0 same issues easy to play against

6) Lost to Wales 1-0 same issues

7) Drew with Bulgaria 0-0 same issues

8) The Luxembourg disaster as you said - same issues

9) Drew with Qatar 1-1 - same issues

10) Drew with Hungary 0-0 - same issues

11) Drew with Azerbaijan 1-1 - same issues

12) Lost to Armenia - same issues

13) Lost to Ukraine 1-0 same issues (I believe it was their second string side?)

14) A tactically inept performance v Greece - looked lost for a lot of it and were very lucky that the scoreline was not much more

--

Yet from the start the Kenny Irish media was keen to tell me the following - see OTB Newstalk (Cian Fahey)

"Stephen Kenny and Ireland expected better than one point from two games. The draw in Bulgaria wasn't great and losing the first game at home to Finland is even worse. But Kenny's Ireland are going in the right direction despite results."

--

Some even spun a narrative that former Irish pros that wore the Green Jersey are anti-Kenny because he is talking about a new 'philosophy' - October 2021 the42 see below -

"But it’s worth asking why there seems to be quite a divide, with so many former Ireland footballers growing seriously impatient with the present regime.

Distance or lack thereof probably has something to do with it. Many of the journalists will have gotten to know Kenny very well during his time in the League of Ireland and followed his largely successful career in the domestic game very closely.

By contrast, a large number of the (often English-based) ex-pros would not have a great knowledge of the League of Ireland, nor would they have been especially familiar with Kenny before he became Ireland boss.

Yet having spoken to many ex-pros who hold serious reservations about Kenny, what seems to annoy them most in the majority of the cases is the subject of playing style and the perception that he is trying to revolutionise Irish football.

The idea that Ireland played awful football in previous eras is a source of irritation for some." - Paul Fennessy

--

In hindsight that now reads to me as journalistic mates of Kenny talking him up, and implying that the older Irish pros that played in England don't know how good Kenny is? Because they (the journalists) have followed Kenny closely in the LOI so they know better...???

Your playing to small 'echo chamber' gallery now horse. I never once called for Kenny to be sacked (basically because we have come this far and might as well ride it out) - no money and no obvious realistic cheap alternatives. A better manager might fix it who ever comes next, but no point in sacking Kenny, let him see it out - unless of course he resigns. You basically said what I have said before - Kenny the student teacher subbing in until a better candidate becomes available (at the end of term) and fixes what is left when they take over. No doubt if they do Kenny will be on a win win.

Next manager after Kenny fails -the narrative will be the players were not there anyway. Next manager after Kenny does well - the narrative will be Kenny laid the ground work.

Mick in his first stint got booed by the Irish crowd for playing Mark Kennedy, he was slaughtered for not winning the play offs for the WC 98. He was ran out of out it by the Irish 'fans' after a match against Russia following the Japan WC. It is the fans that seem to pick the manager in this country that is the main issue.

Plus you imply that no Irish manager has played 'good stuff'? Jack let his side mix it after 1990, MON the same. Kerr in flashes but was a bit too careful, defeintiey shoudl have got another campaign. But the Irish fans ran him out of the job.

It was only Trap who was rigid in his style because he saw how limited the side was from his point of view.

You seem happy to have Ireland not qualifying for tournaments and are just hoping that some long term experiment clicks Suddenly Ireland has new Liam Brady's or John Giles pinging passes with the head up, when they are just limited technical players. I will remind you it never has been easier for an international Irish side to qualify for a tournament - so many avenues/chances these days. If the right tactics are used that suits the Irish players there is a chance. The chances are very slim to none with Kenny's 'Philosophy' - players are not there for it simple as that.

You won't find me calling for Kenny to be sacked on these threads. I also praised Kenny when Ireland did well - for example the first France game (where Ireland lost 1-0). I believe I called it the most impressive performance under Kenny, yet.

But it is the false narrative that you and others have created about Kenny that annoys me. The one that if you even slightly critique Kenny it means you are anti-Irish football. As if Kenny is the ONLY answer for Irish football etc. So the flawed logic then follows if you don't back Kenny to the hilt regardless of results you are not a REAL supporter etc etc

It is the oddest phenomenon ever. I wouldn't mind if Kenny was showing some sort of substance, but he is not. In fact in his best performances he has had to return to what best suits these Irish players. Not the previously promised 'philosophy'.

As for NI in Euro 2016 - perhaps you have deliberately blanked out NI v Germany?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1035167/MatchReport/International-European-Championship-2016-Northern-Ireland-Germany

Germany 28 shots - NI -2 backs to the wall and NI had Germany worried that it might be a draw etc

NI v Poland in Euro 2016 - 18 shots for Poland - 2 for NI

--

In fairness NI did get a 3 points v Ukraine at Euro 2016 - but if you are going to spin NI as playing 'good football' you must have some selective memory - it would not fit with Kenny's 'Philosophy' that is for sure.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

But again, you do realise that this is what we have relied on for 30 years and its why we are where we are? We have to develop our own players, we are 20-30 years behind many other european countries.

Kenny was slated for the Luxembourg defeat, now for me it was more the performance than the defeat but they are now joint 2nd in their group. They have clearly built something by investing.

We cannot continue to rely on other countries to develop or supply players to us. If you want foreign born players to play for Ireland I suggest you start following the Rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's interesting to see the progress some of our recent (so called) weaker opposition have made since we played them. It's actually a stark reality check for the lack of progress we have made. Admittedly they are not in groups as tough as ours, but I still wouldn't fancy us to be performing as well in their groups as they are...

Armenia are 3rd in their group, level on points with Croatia, 3 points behind leaders Turkey with a game on hand on them. Denied a win in Turkey by a late equaliser the other night. Beat Wales away earlier in the group. Oleksandr Prtrakov took over following the sacking of Joaquin Caparros last year (Caparros was in charge when we lost to them).

Luxembourg are 3rd in their group, level on points with Slovakia but behind them by virtue of goal difference. They drew in Slovakia, won in Bosnia, and just beat Iceland 3-1. Interestingly, they've had the same manager for the past 13 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We got a few good breaks but rather than being brave went to the corner and started passing around.

It was really depressing to watch.

Travers, Keane, Stevens, and Lenihan all drop out of squad.  

O’Leary, Doherty, Omobamidele, and Sinclair all added to match day squad.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If we win tonight SK lives to fight another day.

Short of qualifying, which seems unlikely, what results from the last 4 games in the group would be enough to give Stephen Kenny another campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

4 wins and a draw. I'm a self confessed Kenny fan. But anything short of the above and I want him out as he's stealing an insane living otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,566 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pep Guardiola couldn't do anything with the players we have. Nothing. If you gave Aidan O'Brien a donkey he couldn't win the derby with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If we don't get the win required to keep it on life support tonight then prob no point sacking but you'd be nervous of giving him another campaign with an easier group for fear it would be wasted

Think two draws against the Dutch and two wins in the other games will be enough to save himself. Don't see the FAI getting rid of him if he takes 8/12pts.

• Advertisement

I don’t think I’ve agreed with much of anything you’ve said lately but this is correct in my opinion.

Let him see out the campaign and use the time wisely to actually get the next appointment sorted, rather than sacking him, paying him off, paying an interim manager and just wasting money for the sake of it rushing to find a replacement.

Would have to assume so. No reason given why and people only know Travers dropped out because of the squad list UEFA released. If there was any other reason bar injury I'd say there would have been leaks on why.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I wouldn’t sack him just for the sake of it - but would immediately ramp up the replacement hunt, and if they could find the next person before this campaign ends then we should make the change as soon as possible so they can use the last games to bed in.

No but he'd win/be competitive in a donkey derby.

SK is not doing that. We're not beating/performing well against similar ranked teams.

There's very little positive to be taken from his time in charge since the greek performance/result.

But in the unlikely event we take 8/12 points from the remaining games and beat NZ in the friendly then ill be back on the SK train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Wonder whether it'll be League 2 McClean or Championship Team of the Year Manning at LWB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had such a low opinion of our team that I didn't believe we were on the level of the teams that were beating us anymore.

But then he got time to build his team and certain things about that team gave me confidence. But then Greece happened where we threw away vital points and all the old failings were back.

What does sacking someone for the sake of it even mean?? He'd be getting sacked for under performing.

He'd be replaced in the hope he's replacement achieves a higher level of performance.

Too many mental gymnastics being performed by some on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

4 games left. If we got 8 points from the 4 games I could see an argument for keeping Kenny.

The goal was to qualify for the Euro's made much tougher with France & Netherlands in our group. If we go on to finish 4th, he should be gone. Even 3rd I don't see him surviving.

There is the bones of a good team there tbf and Kenny has done a good job to bring the youth through although his main priority was to get results. He's definitely been unlucky at times but others a lot of fault to be aimed at him.

I'd hope the FAI are currently shortlisting new managers for in the inevitable. It's crucial they get it right so we don't slip even further, in 12 or 24 months time I think we'll have players playing regularly in top leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say McClean will get the nod tonight.

Did Manning ever actually get in the championship TOTY? it's a comment I've read a lot on here or on ybig/twitter "he's been the best left back in the championship for two years" or he's been in the TOTY. But as far as I can see it was Maatsen from Burnley who got in at left back last year.

Apologies if I was unclear - the intention behind the statement was “I wouldn’t sack him before finding the replacement - find the replacement first, as quickly as can be done well, and as soon as that happens, make the change”

Interims are a waste of time and money, so it’s better to just transition right to the next properly vetted and qualified person as soon as we can do that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement