Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I have no interest in Keane but there's some on here that bring him up constantly. Anyway the least of the problems involving Keane is that the FAI couldn't afford to pay him what he'd want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,444 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We are going to be looking at bottom tier Championship, League 1 level managers. Maybe we can get a European manager in but they will be the equivalent of a Championship manager at best

That's exactly what we need right now.

Anything in England from League 1 up is going to be better than the LOI that Kenny came from.

The same with the European equivalent.

You need someone of that level, that can bring Ireland back to being in contention to qualify, the first step should be to be competitive enough to be still in the group going into the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Stephen Bradley but that was the Europa Conference.

Michael O’Neill with Rovers in 2011. Neil Lennon Celtic. Some on here wouldn’t regard them as Irish, there appears to be a kind of anti “Nordie” thing with some. I digress.

Kieran McKenna at Ipswich would be another Nordie that would be a good shout, not sure he’d leave Ipswich for Ireland though.

Ffs, he's still in charge this morning. Gross negligence on behalf of the Fai. No surprise with that circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

"a poor Dutch side who basically turned up half interested"?!?

And you accuse others of talking claptrap?

On a related note, de Jong is some player. Doesn't waste a pass. United should be gutted they didn't get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

F**k me. Some of these football impressionists are stealing a living. The lad Farley in the UK is pathetic. Same joke time and again and his impersonation of Harry Kane is offensive.

They were poor on the night and were half interested. They seemed unprepared especially at the start. Did you watch the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

McKenna is far too good for Ireland right now. 37 and very highly regarded for the job he’s doing at Ipswich.

He’d be genuinely mad to come out of club management for 5 years to come to Ireland.

And I think most managers in the championship would be the same tbh, presuming they want to stay in club management. The Ireland job does nothing for their profile.

It looks like there might be some good players coming through for Ireland. The right manager for them could improve things. McKenna probably out of our reach right now I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A large section of Irish fans are deluded about our clout and finances

And a fair section of soccer fans in Europe are deluded about the status of the International game.

• Advertisement

The quality can vary for sure alright.

Seperate note on categorising something as generally offensive. You may be offended by it, but most others will not.

Tbh, I cannot never understand why people get offended by a joke or sketch. My 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Not sure if this is serious or not?

If they haven't a pot to píss in, why would they sack him and pay off his contract rather than letting him see it out and line up candidates for when his contract is up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It shouldn't happen because it is 12 groups in the next campaign. Therefore the 4th seeds will be teams ranked 37th+ (Actually 38th+ assuming Russia don't enter)

We are currently 27th (click the UEFA button to limit to just UEFA teams) so in theory a good finish to this campaign might lift us into the second seeds. Most likely we stay in our current 25<->36 3rd seed bracket though.

Men's Ranking (fifa.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would prefer an old head with a profile - if not Roy Keane someone similar.

Just make Ireland hard to beat basically, make them more organised, better game management. The whole Kenny thing seemed to be based on if we believe, talk up the positives enough and hope. Then a miracle might happen.

The Dutch actually did their best to give Ireland a great chance of winning last nights game. Could have been two up and started great. But then Koeman out manoeuvred Kenny tactically and Ireland faded as well.

Kenny is a fella that never seems to know how to manage a game to me. For all his talk of philosophy and the talk of changing the style. His answer in the dying embers was to throw Duffy up front - which Maloney implied was Kennyball heresy. And yet they did not do that right either it needed the correct ball into him to make it effective.

I remember Gary Doherty used to be thrown up front as he could play as a defender or forward. But when it was done with him it was playing to his strengths and caused chaos. The style was not based a philosophy but the best way to try and win a game/get a result - bring others into the game around him etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

They could just appoint an interim manager like Crawford or someone for the games in October and then start the process of a new appointment.

Just release Stephen immediately, it’s not doing him or anyone else any good to leave him there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

On a side note the amount of pitch invasions last night was embarrassing. Can we start handing out some punitive fines and stadium bans? Both for the kids and their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Come on -

1) Why in the name of jayus would Van Gaal want the Ireland job?

2) Where is the money going to come from? Are you planning a big donation to the FAI?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what good players? I heard that about Troy, Aaron and all the rest.

Kenny does have an inflexibility tactically for sure.

We were set up well last night, the first half overall I thought we caused the Dutch a few problems. But we needed to change when the Dutch changed their setup. Just become more compact for 20-25 minutes to frustrate them, then bring on some energy for the last 20 mins.

We saw with Greece as well, he had a clear idea of how they were going to play going into the game but when they didn’t play like he expected we were really at sea.

I don’t agree with just going the hard to beat route, though. Generally what that means is we might get a few more draws instead of losses in a normal campaign but we never really learn to go for it when we need to. It hasn’t really bore out more qualification either.

Theres a sweet spot. We can be compact at times but we need to take risks too. Hope there is a manager out there who can come in and help the players with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Never going to happen but he'd be some craic, the interviews would be legendary.

• Advertisement

I always was surprised Arsene Wenger didnt take up an international job after Arsenal, he would be great. I wonder would the FAI approach him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It wasn't about "being more compact". We needed to change shape as it was clear as soon as the 2nd half started that the changes Koeman made had completely given them control of the game. We only got a foothold in the game again when we changed shape. The lack of reaction of the management team was (once again) the biggest flaw last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'd tend to agree.

The talk I've read online and with friends is all centered around Carsley (don't see him leaving the U21s and will want to wait for the senior England role), Robbie Keane (not for me Bill), Duff (too inexperienced), Roy Keane (again not for me Bill) and then Chris Hughton - apparently doing well at Ghana, not a team I closely follow.

They seem to be the options which don't exactly get the pulse racing.

Is there an argument for looking at a manager who has international experience and that's their bread and butter with club mgmt being so different? Joachim Lowe as an example of someone we couldn't afford (and wouldn't come near us) but the type of manager we look at, 15 years international experience. I'm not sure it's an exhaustive list but maybe someone has a better insight to who might be a decent shout.

I can't tell if some of this sht is serious.

Do you actually know what Wenger does now ?

He’s paid by FIFA to put forward odd suggestions on their behalf like biennial World Cups etc. wonder how much they pay him for that? Handy number for Arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is why Kenny needs to be relieved from his duties ahead of our next game. We cannot allow this run of results to continue uninterrupted, it is too important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With every loss the FAI is losing a lot more than just Kenny's salary. As our ranking goes down so does our seeding making it nigh on impossible to qualify for the next couple of tournaments. It's going to cost the FAI in sponsorship and income. Far from them taking their time over a decision I actually think they don't have time to waste here.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if we had the options to counter the Dutch on the bench, I think the big issue is that we changed nothing at all until it was too late.

By the time we made our subs the Dutch were happy to play on the counter which nearly worked out for them a couple of times.

100%

And it cuts the 'but who comes in' question off at the pass. Priority number one is relieving an incompetent person of their responsibilities and clearly indicating that current performance is unacceptable. The FAI then needs to find a better solution for next month's games, that can approach the games in a manner that maximises our chance of getting vital results that will aid in our efforts to qualify for the next tournament.

He should absolutely not be allowed to see out his current contract. That notion floating about is nonsensical and dangerous.

And who is gonna replace him that can get a win ?

It doesn’t.

Rush into the wrong appointment now and it’s another 2 years minimum before they can change again - we won’t be able to change early without significant cost.

There is no need to get rid of him for literally anyone else now. Our seeding is unlikely to change for 2026 qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Imagine giving a new international manager less than a month in the job and then pitching his first set of fixtures as basically must win games. Comical.

If he doesn't leave now we are left with a lame duck manager. That's less bums on seats in the Aviva Stadium at the end of the day.

I think the FAI will take their time and consider everything as they should but at this point I don't see the benefit in Kenny seeing out the campaign. I don't know what the end goal of that would be. We wouldn't really be building towards anything.

• Advertisement

No sorry, time for the adults to come back into the room here.

We have a losing managerial setup, that has demonstrated over an extensive sample that they cannot attain results with the current setup. We also have suffered a general conversation around this team that constantly excuses underperformance and deliberately lowers expectations.

We are now losing so much that the remaining games become vital again, as they could make the next long term manager's job easier or harder by a significant margin.

An immediate temporary caretaker solution MUST be arranged to try and maximise our potential to earn results in the remaining three fixtures. The current setup is incompetent and unsuccessful and - if nothing else - it needs to be made clear to everyone involved that the trend is unacceptable. The FAI are responsible for setting the correct targets, challenging underperformance and putting the players in the best possible position to be successful. The manager MUST be sacked. The delusion needs to be stopped.

I honestly think this “the seedings are of the utmost importance” line is just people who personally dislike him in the job and are trying to create any reason for him to go.

We were seeded 4th for the 2018 qualifiers under O’Neill and the sky didn’t fall in. Don’t recall anyone screaming that his being there was doing irreparable damage to Irish football then either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭kksaints

And if we don't get the results you expect what then? You've already damaged any goodwill the incoming manager will have and have paid off Kenny for nothing. Next appointment is crucial, unless the perfect candidate comes available in the next few weeks, there's no rush until after the October window.

Just seen your next post, an interim would be very likely to come from within the current setup probably John O'Shea. Very unlikely that would lead to much of a shakeup.

Are you talking about a time period where we were on course for qualifying for a tournament?

This is not about personal dislike of Stephen Kenny, I don't generally reference anything about his character. This is about results, the record on the pitch, the facts. It cannot continue, it is beyond sense to suggest it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Carsley would likely be on somewhere between 500k to 600k sterling. Which would be 583k to 700k Euro and that's before you even have to pay to get him out of his contract.

If Carsley had a genuine interest in the Ireland job atm he would have walked away from the FA after the euros knowing he'd walk straight into the Ireland job. Instead he's sticking with the FA because he's hoping the England job is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'd be giving Chris Hughton a call who is currently head coach of Ghana, knows the craic with the Irish setup and would be a good choice if he wanted it

5 wins out of 26. That's all that matters now. For the remaining few (if there are any because I've heard no-one since last night say it's not over) willing to defend the manager it's an impossible argument.

He's had a good run at the job.

If he leaves now it's an interim who will also be a lame duck.

And the actual match going fans have been 100% behind Kenny. Lansdowne atmosphere has been some of the best seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Even if the FAI had the big money they need to spend it on things that matter like giving our young talent here a professional environment to grow and develop in.

He was given plenty of time and patience in a hugely respectful and supportive media environment.

And this was arguably right up to a point - previous managers weren't afforded the same platform when they should have been.

But the other side of this, and it needs to be a lesson going forward, is that if we rewound to the post Luxembourg conversation the arguments at that time for him to go have been borne out. We were too far off the required standard.

You’re using the seedings to suggest that keeping Kenny in place for the rest of the campaign is, in your own words, dangerous. Hyperbole of the highest order.

Due to the expecting split it’s highly unlikely the rest of the campaign games will have any negative effect on our seeding for the World Cup campaign. We’ll be third seeds regardless.

So you’re using something not based in fact to just get rid of him immediately at cost to the FAI for an interim manager instead of taking some time to find the most suitable appointment.

It's not even worth arguing anymore.

People here think we can sack him today and get a top international manager in the morning.

Fantasy stuff from people who don't have a clue.

If Stephen Kenny is not going to continue into the next campaign (and I think absolutely everyone 100% agrees with that) then it’s best for all concerned to let him go now and appoint an interim for the two games in October while looking for a new manager.

Nope, you seem to think we cannot do better under a caretaker when we keep losing and performing listlessly with periods of tactical incompetence under the current manager. Stephen Kenny has no patent on football management. You need to remove a person failing to perform their duties when there is no improvement. Give John O'Shea or some manner of caretaker setup a shot. Allow a different voice in the room, allow the players the opportunity to breathe in a changed context.

You simply cannot argue he is at this level anymore. So the first thing you do is remove him. That's the fair thing to him also.

Or just look for a new manager?

What benefit will appointing an interim manager do?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement