Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No we wouldn't. You underestimate the ability of fai and league of Ireland clubs to absolutely piss away money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think the problem with that is the product currently on offer is not marketable to the average fan.

I think state funded youth structures would be the best way to go, then start to build that into the LOI club structures and onward to FAI structure.

If you build it, they will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No he's too quiet for this own good. Said it when talking about him for Southampton. Kelleher somewhat the same, though hard to tell cause he plays so little. But always strikes me as someone that's in training mode even when playing he seems so nonchalant about things from the little I've seen of him.

Baz needs to get some lessons from Peter Schmeichel on how to speak with your defenders 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Interesting angle here - why do you think it's not of interest to 'average' fan?

Any football fan who has supported the Irish side though Trap / MON / Mick Mc will have zero problem with the standard of football - most teams play a much more attractive fare then you've seen for years with Ireland (well at least some of the time).

Facilities wise - yeah the stadiums are due a massive upgrade but I love going to LOI grounds. Much prefer them to the Aviva or big modern stadiums. I'm up in the clouds at the Aviva - at Dalyer the lino knows exactly what I think of his raising / not raising the flag 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Unfortunately the Irish government follows a policy of we won’t build it but we still expect them to come… see the rugby World Cup 2023 bid.

its frustrating seeing our national side not performing or winning but it’s far more frustrating how blind most Irish football fans are to our football (and sports infrastructure) being inferior to almost every other European country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭JoeA3

John Giles (and Dunphy) are of the firm opinion that SK's contract should be extended. Stephen has done a "great job".

I've a lot of time for Giles but honestly he wittered on for 30+ minutes on Dunphy's podcast and it didn't make any sense. The pair of them (particularly Dunphy) slaughtered every previous incumbent in the job over the years but SK is doing great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Majority of fans in all sports are fair weather. The over whelming majority here are spoiled by PL standard football and to a lesser extent Celtic Park aura akd all the famcy promotion amd access to watch/follow that goes with that.

You just will not get the people who get behind the national squad into LOI stadiums unless you build up community level structures for underage soccer clubs ala GAA structures and improve the standard of football, which is chicken/egg stuff with the structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Whatever about Giles (Who seems to have lost a step in recent years) Dunphy's opinions on football are often just purely contrarian. He probably hears most people calling for Kenny's head so he decides to row in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Carsley to be approached if/when Kenny inevitably leaves.

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not even just this job, and the results don't even make a difference.

International management is just not very attractive, by and large it's not great for career advancement. You certainly won't tempt anyone who has a decent chance of getting a club job.

It's likely to end up being someone who is either new to management, or someone whose club management career has stalled or hit the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Obviously not having any senior management experience would be a risky element to a Carsley appointment, but for what we can offer there will never be a perfect candidate. If we can indeed get him to take the job it would seem close to an ideal appointment - Irish, a good and burgeoning reputation, recent success working with young players, and the potential to be a long-term fixture rather than an interim or quick-fix option.

I think what Stephen Kenny has done over his tenure, in terms of bringing through youth, trying to move us away from being a very one-dimensional side, and improving public sentiment towards the national team, will stand to his successor. Unfortunately, there's a pall of failure over his reign now and having a sensible appointment start fresh, take the positives and jettison the negativity, looks like a no-brainer.

If we can't get the right person now, I don't see the value in bringing in someone as an interim solution for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The track record of LoI clubs that become flush with cash would beg to differ.

If the LoI had that much money, odds are it would be squandered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was always a fan of the theory behind Kenny and his appointment so it would be great if Carlsey can do the same just better.

Whoever we get it's gonna be a risk given the limited resources we have available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kenny has to go no question

But until some solid investment gets into Irish football it will be far more downs than ups even if Klopp/ Pep is in charge.

See one Irish squad members the other night giving staff member in shop abuse in early hours. No wonder his career went downhill. It actually made me feel sorry for Kenny if that's attitude of some in squad.

Hard see it improving much with next manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's really a job for a decent manager with years of experience who wants to take up what is essentially a part-time role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

See one Irish squad members the other night giving staff member in shop abuse in early hours. No wonder his career went downhill. It actually made me feel sorry for Kenny if that's attitude of some in squad.

You able to elaborate on this?

And I'm sure those guys are rare as hens teeth. I'd say most managers love the day to day stuff of club football and you even had Neil Warnock coming out of retirement back in February after only ten months. Roy Hodgson is even still going strong.

Think awec is spot on that the managers with experience we're most likely to get are guys whose club management careers have stalled or hit the wall. Best example possibly being Chris Wilder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I definitely think an old head is the way to go similar with Trapattoni, he had a thick skin. He just got on with it. A cheaper version of Trap basically. But is there anyone obviously like that around? - nope.

Ideally I would like an older manager with a younger Irish fella as his assistant. The team needs guidance, leadership, experience on the sideline.

Failing that alternative, Roy Keane - as he the most qualified among the more obvious choices IMO . Beyond that the choices are really left field/inexperienced or it is unlikely the man would take the job.

The fact some are talking seriously about Damien Duff shows how silly it is getting.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

No LOI club has ever been flush with sustainable money though. And having all football fans in Ireland follow the league would be exactly that - well something far more sustainable than the current model. It's all a pipe dream anyway so doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

For reputation definitely should be in the mix. What do we know about Carsley's philosophy in terms of style of play, tactics etc? Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Scales in Celtic’s Champions League squad. Not likely to be a first pick if everyone is fit but probably the only Irish player in a current CL squad?

Yeah, ‘mon the Kew tour give us a hint anyway.

Are Celtic still missing a few CBs? Was better than his CB partner against Rangers who was an accident waiting to happen.

Would rather see Mick McCarthy back for a third stint than see Roy Keane as Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I actually think he might stand a better chance of starting in CL as opposed to SPL, his best position IMO is on the left of a Back three and I think there is a strong chance that Rodgers, being a little more pragmatic than Ange will play a back 3 in Europe. Either way Scales absolutely should be in the Irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't see what qualifies Roy Keane for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I doubt we can pay him more than Sky Sports regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And then when he loses a few games to finish out the group “sure who has he ever managed”.

They signed a couple who got injured. Nawrocki and Phillips. Nawrocki has been left out of the CL squad, still injured. Lagerbielke was the one who struggled in his first start v rangers. Carter Vickers is the main centre back who is also currently injured. Scales could see some game time in the CL at cb or lb.

1) The dearth of other options for a start

2) He would take the job, no compensation needed, available straight away,

3) Has managed players at that club level - and was successful

4) Has a practical philosophy on the game uncomplicated - the players would not be overburdened with instructions - you can see it when he analyses matches - notes where the simple errors are leading up to a miskte quickly

5) Would put drive and standards into that team

6) His profile has the added bonus of more chance of attracting non-Irish players to play for Ireland.

7) Has been around the international set up as an assistant manager and a player.

--

Basically the best CV of all the potential candidates in my opinion.

The main problem is with Roy Keane the media and some fans have biases against him - the opposite to Kenny. The narrative created around Kenny was that he was the 'future'. But Keane is only slightly older and has had more experience at higher levels, more knowledgable, better with the media. And more of a presence than Kenny will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Carsley isn’t an inspiring choice imo. No senior experience, and his time with England has been with one of the best squads in youth football.

His stock is high after winning the Euros, and doesn’t seem to have any interest in club management(or clubs aren’t interested in him). There’s also a lack of standout candidates. So I can see the FAI going for him. If they do I hope he can kick on and improve the team, but I wouldn’t be holding out any hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

That's the thing. We have very little chance of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. So the aim for the new manager is to properly compete at the Euros 2028 (which we are almost certainly co-hosting) and to make the knockout stages.

Not sure if they will allow all 5 co-hosts to qualify automatically in 2028, or how that is supposed to work...

There are worse choices. I wonder about the expectations of some people, when you think about the current manager that we’re replacing and how long he has been left in situ. I don’t think we can afford Keane though, the only way to get someone off his profile would be to get specific funding from some benefactor. That doesn’t just apply to Keane it would also apply to someone like Van Nistelrooy who has been mentioned above.

If we’re sticking to the €500k a year that Kenny was on that severely limits options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Im sure Roy doesnt need the money, if you are Irish, you should nearly do the job for free, it should be an honor to manage your country. imagine saying no, I want 1 million per year, sky will pay me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Roy Keane's management style is to try and shout average players into being good ones. That doesn't work, he has little else in his locker and the fact that he was a disciple of Dinosaur O'Neill in the later stages of his career worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Stephen Kenny is unfortunately not at the level required to manage at international level. He is not at the level to manage at the top level. Pains me to say it, but its absolutely true.

I'll preface this (as it seems for some reason to be important what side of the fence we sit) by saying I am a LOI fan, love going to live games, regular at the Aviva for international games, yada yada....

The FAI have a body of work that needs to be completed in order to set Irish football on the right track for the next 20 years. They need to fight for every penny of funding they can to raise the standard of football in this country, they need to fight tooth and **** nail on this. THAT is their number 1 job. All this talk of implementing a passing style of football etc.. is absolute lip service, this requires a journey, implementing it with the senior team should be the destination, albeit the culmination of years of changing the culture at underage level.

Millions of euro need to be spent on infrastructure, stadia, training facilities, academies, the league in general, coaching etc... and only then will the work start in terms of us being on a level pegging with countries of similar size.

In terms of management of the men's senior international team, this is where some peoples interest in Irish football begins and ends. Sack Kenny and we are anti LOI, keep him on and he will drag us into the doldrums.

In my opinion, the deeper issues with our game need to be sorted, I'd have been happy to retain Kenny provided our seeding wasn't starting to slide, I do not expect him to qualify for major championships given our playing personnel (the worst in my lifetime), nor do I expect him to change the entire playing style/footballing philosophy of Irish football. Its unrealistic. But as soon as we start giving away 2-3 campaigns on the back of supposedly "developing the next generation" (baring in mind we reverted to Shane Duffy at CB and Jimmy McClean at LWB the other night) then we are in thin ground. Before we know it we will be 4th or 5th seeds for qualifying for these major tournaments.

The next managers remit should be to properly start to build a squad, whilst even if we don't qualify, we don't finish any lower than comfortably 3rd in our group. More importantly, is the development of a plan for Irish football for the next 20 years, that includes both public and private funding to drag our football philosophy and economy into the 21st century.

If Keane were that good of a manager, he’d still be managing.

I would also seriously question the idea that he has such a draw for footballers that they would decide to play for Ireland just to have a chance to be managed by him.

At most I think he’s an interim manager. Terrible choice for a long term coach, who has history of falling out with players wherever he goes.

Era just going around like crazed lunatic and name calling staff as they didn't have right tobacco for lad. He eventually left after 30-40 seconds.

Don't care if he was partying or popping he entitled let hair down with his buddies but the state of his carry on was pathetic.

If that's how he carries on with his "second chance" hate to see what the worse version was like.

I could call him worse but not worth ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Someone whose club management career has stalled or hit the wall.

Lampard it is so. 😫

Remember him saying before that senior management didn't interest him too much. That he preferred working with younger players. Might have changed his opinions at this stage.

Think his son was a factor before in him turning down club management jobs. International management being part time might suit him if he enjoys his time at home with family. Working for the FA has suited him in that sense cause it's only up the road.

There'll be options out there that we've never heard of as managers so hopefully Canham is searching far and wide. Hibs just appointed Nick Montgomery as their new manager. Only has two years experience as a manager but won the Aussie A League in his second season. It's only the Mariner's second ever title and they hadn't won it in ten years. So not like he joined a team that was successful.

Ya i agree with whoever said forget about 2026 and work to build towards 2028.

To miss out on three 24 team euros in a row would be pretty brutal.

That is a really simplistic take - a media driven narrative? Much like how the media talked up Kenny based on nothing - not looking at his football credentials.

Yet you somehow are disparaging Keane bases on nothing but media lines and gossip columns. You are doing similar with MON. But MON qualified for a tournament whether you like it or not.

You have just a 'cartoon media agenda led version' painted of Keane unable to look at his experience and CV.

Roy Keane has managerial experience at a much higher club level than Kenny ever had, he has played under two of best British managers of all time etc.

If Roy Keane was a LOI manager it seems he would walk into the job - judging by the tone of this thread?

That is a really odd dynamic IMO. I find it very amusing that the main manufactured narrative around Kenny on this thread was always to talk him up at every opportunity. And make excuses for his failings.

Yet when it comes to Roy Keane the thread jumps to excuses to talk him down at every opportunity. And manufacture excuses why he might/could fail before he even got the job!

In my view Roy Keane has served his apprenticeship and is the most qualified of all the realistic candidates, as simple as that.

I was no fan of Keane after Siapan etc. But if a former player of Keane's profile and managerial experience was in any other other country similar to Ireland's size - he would walk into the job.

And I don't support any British PL superclub nor am I a Celtic diddly di-do flag waving supporter. So that cannot be thrown at me as an insult.

However like there was a media agenda for Kenny, there is a media agenda against Roy Keane. Both are manufactured narratives, which a cohort of the Irish fanbase have lapped up.

Like any job you look at the CV's and realistic candidates available.

Personally I would take Duff. LoI or not we ain't getting Denis O Brien mula with and we ain't getting a huge name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His U21 team at the Euros played some nice high tempo football, a decent mix of good quick intricate passing around the box, and also getting it wide quickly for the likes of Madueke to run into space.

Hard to know how that would translate to our lads though. His England team is packed with high quality players, and for the most part they're playing against a lower standard of team. Quite a difference to come to us with our all-round lower quality, where we're rarely playing against anyone that we're significantly better than.

Keane hasn’t managed a team in 12 years. He’s been O’Neills assistant for a while since then but that ended 4 years ago. Seems happy enough being a pundit now.

He’s hugely argumentative too, there’s stories from Sunderland, Ipswich and Ireland about his various fallings out with players.

You also seem to have some fairly subjective opinions about him - foreign players will play for him simply because they know who he is. Is there really any evidence of that?

So has Jose Mourinho a history of failing out with players so what? This is the men's senior international team we are talking about not the women's international team.

Is it nanny you want of man with drive? The reason Roy Keane is not managing now because he does not play the media game. Gary Neville said as much to him in his overlap channel. Plus Keane has said he received some club offers but did not like the offers.

So instead there is a cheap caricature created by the media about Keane -demeaning him as man and managerial achievements.

Yet on the other hand we have some in the media implying that it would be unfair to sack Kenny as it would be bad for his mental health. They want to let him go with dignity that is the narrative now it seems. Not even for football reasons! I would not mind that. But to keep him because they feel sorry for him, he looks upset and the media were fond of him....

The world has gone mad in my opinion. Who is leading these candidate picks?

The media?

The fans?

Or the FAI?

Or is the FAI just going to blindly follow the media and the fans ? Instead of getting the best realistic candidate for the job?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement