Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Why would you give him until the end of the campaign unless he was going to be in charge for the next campaign too? Otherwise you are just using up games that any new manager could use to sort out the team.

After the Serbia game, the F.A.I. should either give Kenny a new contract or give him the boot. The decision needs to be made before the next round of matches and I suspect the next two matches will play a huge part in that decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

U21s game on RTE player at 3:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fair play. You never get an answer like that from the rampant "Kenny (or whoever) OUT" people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yes, but a foreign coach would be more short termism. Kenny gets more leeway because he’s not looking to qualify at all costs but to do away with the last 20 years of using the national team to cover up the failings of the organisations management, and to get a young Ireland team to play in a more modern way.

He is in my opinion the best manager we can have right now considering the state of the associations finances. You won’t find anyone more motivated to improve the team.

If it doesn’t work out, I hope they look at other Irish managers, and keep the brief to long term, sustainable improvement. We shouldn’t be looking at managers without knowledge of Irish players until we have much improved player development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I don’t see the rush. You contract people to keep them. If we beat Azerbaijan and lose to Serbia then we still might not know if we want him for the next campaign. If you don’t know something then the best policy is to just sit on our hands instead of rash decisions.

the advantage with Kenny is we have no fear of him being taken off us by bigger entities.

fools rush in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Actually thinking more Tony Mowbry could be a good option. One the lads that's a Liverpool fan has mentioned Liverpool were so impressed with Harvey Elliots loan that they've sent another player to Blackburn on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He is contracted to include a place on the board of the FAI. Not aware of any youth development role he holds.

Guessing it's:

--------------------Maher

Lyons - McEntee - O'Brien - Ferry

-----------Coventry - Kilkenny

------Watson - Tierney - Wright

---------------------Kayode

Still can't see why the U21s use the same formation as the senior team. It actually suits them more than it suits the senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks a good bench for us.

• Advertisement

Might be mixing up when he got the U21s job, because I think with that they gave him a youth development role to have input with all the age groups while managing the U21s. But there's being all these different people coming in and new roles being created that you haven't a clue whose doing what within the FAI. So wasn't Quinns temporary role created just for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Because there are signs of positivity and giving him the full campaign gives it time to see if its more than just a flash in the pan.

I don't get the urge to dump him when it's clear he's trying to build from the ground up as opposed to scraping results with short-term patches. We know how that ends, we've seen it before.

We seem to lack wide options though, most of those players would prefer to play centrally I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah but at some point the excuses have to end. If we get the right result tomorrow most will be very happy but we are 14 games in with nothing to show except some positivity.

I just think two home defeats to the two lowest seeds would be a humiliation too far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Have you not been calling for him to go way back ?

Wright is probably the only out and out wide player. Moran can play wide but likes to drift around the wide and central areas.

But I'm excited to see how Coventry and Kilkenny get on playing as a midfield duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think he should have gone after the Luxembourg defeat and wasn't shy about it.

Since, he has redeemed himself somewhat and I'll give credit where it is due. It was a great performance on Wednesday. As already said I'm hoping it's not a flash in the pan.

He needs a win tomorrow.

Talk that Byrne's contract is going to be terminated at Apoel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Why would they make the decision after the Serbia game? There is no need to rush it. We still have Azerbaijan (a), Luxembourg (a) , Portugal (h), Qatar (n) to go after this week.

If results and performances go to one extreme or the other then it may see the decision made before the end of the campaign, but otherwise they should wait until the end and review the overall picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Doesn't seem like there's been the usual slew of injuries after Wednesday, and with some players coming back in and a home crowd for tomorrow, hopefully fortunes are starting to turn from the dark days of losing at home to Luxembourg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Give Robbie the rest of the campaign. We're screwed anyway, there is literally nothing he could do that would be any worse. That's a new managers wages saved. Keane could be a Pep or he could be a Neville. After that, see who is available. Lots of Eastern European/Scandanavian managers who wouldn't want millions for the job as seen by the wages paid by Eastern European and Scandanavian countries. Or set a wage, advertise and see who applies. We might be pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Penalty for Ireland!

Nice penalty from Wright.

Poor enough from both teams really so far, although we've had the lions share of the ball, we've created very little. Kilkenny has been the only standout player for me.

Tyreik Wright scores.

Ireland playing well in 2nd half so far

Pitch seems poor. Ball bobbling around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That was a well worked goal finished off by Coventry.

Lovely set piece there, should be the three points secured.

Excellent set piece move and should be three points. Now make some changes please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Great to see some creativity from set pieces, brilliantly worked goal

Glad to see Noss. Would like to see Johansson aswell

Ferguson on 😀

Was hoping to see Devoy, the lads a serious baller and had pulled off some assists this season for Bohs that I've only seen happen in FIFA.

Good to see Ferguson make his U21 debut. Big lad for 16.

Ferguson is a big lad for a 16 year old!

Gas that Johansson ends up in a group with Luxembourg and Sweden

• Advertisement

Better second half performance. Defensively comfortable, although Bosnia seemed to lack the weapons to attack us. Coventry, Tierney, and Kilkenny won the midfield, Kilkenny was exceptional and was the best player on the pitch by far. Wright and Kayode were ok, in fairness Kayode won the pen, Wright assisted the second. Watson was poor enough, other than one lovely ball to put Wright through in the second half, he struggled.

First impressions of Ferguson, perhaps he could be the new McGoldrick (David, not Eddie!)?

We need a few forwards like that though. Himself and Idah should add bulk to our forward line. Kayode there too who might develop into an option as he gets older.

A few smaller agile attacking players in those younger age groups too with Moran, Zefi, McLoughlin. Could add Vata, Ferizaj, and Lawal as other promising youth players. The 2005 age group some have said could be our best age group in awhile

Could have another good crop of U21 players in the next two campaigns coming through to match Connolly, Idah, Parrott, Knight and co.

But the best thing about future younger groups is we won't need to rush them through to fill out our senior squad like we've had to do with this group. Chances are we'd have went to the U21s Euros if Kenny had remained and kept that squad together, and the likes of Idah, Knight, Parrott, Collins and Omobamidele are still underage for the U21s.

https://www.monoapoel.com/feygei-o-tzak-mpern/

According to this Cypriot site which released an article today, APOEL are only allowed register 15 foreign players for the season, and Byrne isn't going to make that panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement

I have no answers, his move to APOEL started badly, and hasn't gone much better since. He looked set to leave last week, then it looked it he was back in the fold. Now today there's suggestion he's out again. I'm sure Jack will naturally know more than us, from the outside though it looks like chaos.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Game day.

Hopeful for tonight. If they can match the energy the crowd of a half-full Aviva can give them then it will hopefully prevent another flat performance akin to Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Will Azerbaijan fancy their chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Most definitely I would say. Why wouldn't they.

We really have to win tonight. The campaign is a write off but failing to beat both Azerbaijan and Luxembourg at home would make it very difficult to defend Kennys position as manager.

If we score early I think we could win comfortably enough. The longer it goes on at 0-0 the flashbacks of Luxembourg will begin to happen.

Possibly, they'll know we find it hard to break teams down and they haven't lost a game by more than one goal.

If we carry the same intensity into tonight's game from the other night we'll get the win. The fans are gonna make it sound like a full house tonight.

Going for a 2-1 win tonight. Would love to see us keep a clean sheet tonight but they've scored against Serbia and Luxembourg, and have we even kept a clean sheet under Kenny yet?

Would go with:

---------------------Bazunu

Omobamidele - Duffy - Egan

Coleman - Browne - Cullen - Manning

-------Robinson - Parrott - Connolly

I'm in two minds about who starts CF. I think Parrotts technical ability on the ball would be better against a team that's gonna sit deep rather than Idahs ability to hold the ball up. I'd start Connolly again but would be looking to get him off around the 60th min for Horgan. Kenny needs to be more proactive with getting subs on. Lads need more than 10 mins to get into a game.

Set pieces again will be crucial for us. Hopefully we've got trick up our sleeve like against Qatar, and U21s.

Fully expecting a win tonight. Crowd at the Aviva and the lads are hopefully positive after the performance they put in against Portugal. Don’t think Kenny will allow them to be complacent after the Luxembourg game.

I think a win by 2 or 3.

You think a win by two or three goals when they haven't lost a game in these qualifiers by more than one goal?

I think it’s possible, 3 might be pushing it but if we can get an early goal who knows. Hoping the crowd can do their part too, I would imagine it’s the first game away they’ve played in front of fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Have a spare single for this evening lads.

Block 506

€40

True, a home crowd could help, especially an Aviva crowd that hasn't been at a game in nearly three years is it, the 1-1 against Denmark?

I'd love a clean sheet tonight, don't think we've kept one yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement